HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Report-Flames sign Vandermeers x2! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=531256)

neely 07-02-2008 10:53 AM

Report-Flames sign Vandermeers x2!

Just heard on the Fan 960 that Jim and his older brother Pete signed on, Jim 3 years 6 million or so, and his older brother Pete-2 way contract for the tougher older brother....

Buttonwood 07-02-2008 10:58 AM

Pete is a minor league type guy, but he is a good hockey player. The Vandermeer family has 6 brothers playing pro hockey around NA, and they are all tough and willing to stand-up for their teammates. I don't expect both to be on the roster, but its nice to have Pete in the system.

They are both Alberta boys, who appearently enjoy playing in Alberta.

Cactus Jack 07-02-2008 10:58 AM

What? 2 million dollars for Vandy? Wasn't he only making 1.1 million last year? Why does he deserve to double his salary? Do we have the cap room for this and Nolan/potential 2nd line scorer?

I like Vandy and am glad we signed him because this rounds out our defensive corps but I don't like the money or the term. I'm glad to see Vandy come back but this type of contract may saddle you in the future like a Warrener, Aucoin, Sarich or Primeau contract.

AndersEriksson* 07-02-2008 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cactus Jack (Post 14681684)
What? 2 million dollars for Vandy? Wasn't he only making 1.1 million last year? Why does he deserve to double his salary? Do we have the cap room for this and Nolan/potential 2nd line scorer?

I like Vandy and am glad we signed him because this rounds out our defensive corps but I don't like the money or the term. I'm glad to see Vandy come back but this type of contract may saddle you in the future like a Warrener, Aucoin, Sarich or Primeau contract.

Agree on all counts.

QC could have some fun games with Pete coming in. That I very much approve of.

GoFlames 07-02-2008 11:13 AM

Cap Hit

IS the actual salary total, or the actual cap hit toal used? If the cap hit number is used the flames have decent space to get a second line winger to round out their roster. If salary is used the number is lesds but still possible.

Hyperkookeez* 07-02-2008 11:15 AM

2 mil is a bit much but w/e

its good to have vandermeer back

Snoil11 07-02-2008 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoFlames (Post 14682062)
IS the actual salary total, or the actual cap hit toal used? If the cap hit number is used the flames have decent space to get a second line winger to round out their roster. If salary is used the number is lesds but still possible.

It's all about the cap-hit for us fans. Mr. King is the one to worry about the actual salary total.

Complacent Iggy 07-02-2008 11:21 AM

3yrs 6.9mill? is he engaged to a Sutter?

GoFlames 07-02-2008 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoil11 (Post 14682199)
It's all about the cap-hit for us fans. Mr. King is the one to worry about the actual salary total.

WEll if the cap hit is used and say Backlund plays etc and using rough estimates for numbers the salary total would be about $56.7 million and the cap hit to be a more forgiving $52.3 million allowing the team to spend around $4.4 million more to hit the cap limit... lots of space.

Snoil11 07-02-2008 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingkipper (Post 14682284)
3yrs 6.9mill? is he engaged to a Sutter?

Did they mention it on Fan960 or what's your source?

Dogbert* 07-02-2008 11:31 AM

I don't see the problem here. $2.3M per year is decent value for Vandy, given what some other defensemen got paid yesterday.

StreakingRed 07-02-2008 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogbert (Post 14682587)
$2.3M per year is decent value for Vandy, given what some other defensemen got paid yesterday.

Yeah, pretty much. It's a little higher than I was hoping for, but after seeing some of the contracts signed yesterday, this doesn't sound bad at all. Glad to see Vandermeer back in the fold.

Cactus Jack 07-02-2008 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogbert (Post 14682587)
I don't see the problem here. $2.3M per year is decent value for Vandy, given what some other defensemen got paid yesterday.

I just don't see why we would more than double his salary and give him a 3year deal. I was hoping for 2 years at 2 million total. All he brings is physicality, that's not worth 2.3 million. We didn't bring him back for his speed, skating, offensive, pp abilities, etc.

Snoil11 07-02-2008 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cactus Jack (Post 14684561)
All he brings is physicality, that's not worth 2.3 million. We didn't bring him back for his speed, skating, offensive, pp abilities, etc.

Vandermeer brought more to the table than just physicality. He played decent alongside Phaneuf and allowed the Flames to put Aucoin on the third line with Hale/Eriksson and thus helped to balance the defensive lines more evenly.

AndersEriksson* 07-02-2008 02:15 PM

Quote:

I just don't see why we would more than double his salary and give him a 3year deal. I was hoping for 2 years at 2 million total. All he brings is physicality, that's not worth 2.3 million. We didn't bring him back for his speed, skating, offensive, pp abilities, etc.

2.3 would be more than Eaton got paid in Pittsburgh. Wow :shakehead

Noori 07-02-2008 02:58 PM

Wow, our defence looks solid.

We have $53.897 million tied up in our contracts and we still need to sign our RFA's. Lose the salaries of Nilson, Eriksson, and Warrener (hopefully) and we sit at $49.047 million and that leaves us with $7.63 million - We are a budget team but I am not quite sure what that budget is so I'll assume we are a cap team - to sign our our RFA's, Bourque, Giordano, and Pardy, at approximately 3 million total. That leaves us with $4.63 million remaining. Hopefully, with that money we sign Nolan and one more defencemen. And that all rounds out to a pretty damn good team if everything works out right.

Cammy – Langkow – Iginla
Boyd – Lombardi – Nolan
Nystrom – Conroy – Moss
Bourque – Primeau – Glencross

Regehr - Sarich
Phaneuf - Aucoin
Gio - Vandermeer
Pardy – Defencemen

Kipper
McElhinney

(Still a bit early, I know)

*Fingers crossed*

Hyde 07-02-2008 07:26 PM

For anyone who didn't/doesn't have access to the Fan here is a interview with Vandermeer and Kerr from this afternoon:

http://www.fan960.com/ondemand/media...702_170015_576

Fleury14 07-02-2008 08:10 PM

Quote:

His skating was far better than I expected, but I don't like the signing at all. I'd rather just plug in Pardy at a much cheaper price.