HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   We need help help up front(To much help) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=531438)

andy* 07-02-2008 03:46 PM

We need help help up front(To much help)

The signing that Sutter has done so far are for 3rd or 4th line guy. We need a top 6 forward or we are in trouble.

Treliving The Dream 07-02-2008 03:50 PM

Lots of time before the season starts.

special_loob 07-02-2008 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGY (Post 14690430)
Lots of time before the season starts.

lots of time, but options are quickly disappearing... might have to trade for one.

StreakingRed 07-02-2008 06:11 PM

Too early to be getting concerned about this. Sutter said he's not done yet if he can upgrade during the summer, via trades.

Lunatik* 07-02-2008 07:32 PM

hey at least we are faster :shakehead

Roughneck 07-02-2008 07:36 PM

If only we tossed up 4.25 per year for Michael Ryder.

Seeing the going rate for average forwards, I think we've doged a bullet by avoiding the early free agent onslaught.

Hyde 07-02-2008 07:42 PM

What is wrong with seeing what the kids can do? I really wouldn't be surprised if what we see now is what we'll see in October and I'm fine with that.

Ticonderoga 07-02-2008 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roughneck (Post 14696899)
If only we tossed up 4.25 per year for Michael Ryder.

Seeing the going rate for average forwards, I think we've doged a bullet by avoiding the early free agent onslaught.

My thoughts exactly.

flamesfan12 07-02-2008 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyde (Post 14697029)
What is wrong with seeing what the kids can do? I really wouldn't be surprised if what we see now is what we'll see in October and I'm fine with that.

Exactly. I am fine with letting Boyd, Moss or Bourque develop and seeing what they can do on the 2nd line. Don't like the idea of going out and overpaying for some forward who we'll probably regret signing.

Lunatik* 07-02-2008 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyde (Post 14697029)

Don't be complaining in April when instead of another first round disappointment we are watching from the outside then

Hyde 07-02-2008 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatik (Post 14699901)
Don't be complaining in April when instead of another first round disappointment we are watching from the outside then

Honestly Lunatik, I'm both excited and quite scared of that happening however, a bunch of young guys, is also very refreshing.

I really believe that the Flames will be BETTER after this season, not WORSE by these moves Sutter has made to surround the core even if they take a step back.

Lunatik* 07-02-2008 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyde (Post 14700150)
Honestly Lunatik, I'm both excited and quite scared of that happening however, a bunch of young guys, is also very refreshing.

I really believe that the Flames will be BETTER after this season, not WORSE by these moves Sutter has made to surround the core even if they take a step back.

what did the Flames do to get better? Cammy for Tanguay?... the defense is the same... the top 6 is weaker... we might get more scoring from our 3rd and 4th lines though... which won't matter since they will be just as skilled as our 2nd line... Sutter also paid as much for McElhinney as he could have had Cujo for... we all know in January he is going to make a trade for abackup because McElhinney will be disappointing.... Sutter better make a trade for a top 6 forward or this team is ****ed plain and simple...

StreakingRed 07-02-2008 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatik (Post 14699901)

To quote someone in another thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatik (Post 14634804)
Shut the **** up and see how the dominoes fall during the summer. You don't know what a team will look like 3 months before opening night.

:D

Dions shoulder 07-02-2008 10:55 PM

I honestly believe this team is much better now that it was at the start of the 07/08 season.

Mark my words, the Flames will run away with the division.

Hyde 07-02-2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatik (Post 14700733)
what did the Flames do to get better? Cammy for Tanguay?... the defense is the same... the top 6 is weaker... we might get more scoring from our 3rd and 4th lines though... which won't matter since they will be just as skilled as our 2nd line... Sutter also paid as much for McElhinney as he could have had Cujo for... we all know in January he is going to make a trade for abackup because McElhinney will be disappointing.... Sutter better make a trade for a top 6 forward or this team is ****ed plain and simple...

The Flames will have to revert back to when they played better defensively and they have get some more out of their bottom six. This is not going to be the same team we all saw the last two seasons. Honestly I have no expectations for the Flames next year, they can either win the division as they can miss the playoffs, who can really say until we see this team play. All these signing have been to help the bottom six add youth grit and speed, guys who will backcheck and forecheck! Damn it Lunatik is is so wrong for one to want to take that risk for once and let the kids play.

scoringmachine 07-02-2008 11:21 PM

I notice with Flames Fan they are never happy with the direction of the team. In 2003/2004 season it was scoring problem which Sutter helped fix. Then it was lack of defense which he fixed. Now people complain that Sutter is not letting younger players play. Sutter is now going with younger players and people now complain about the way he is making the team younger. Since Sutter became GM he has not used much of his prospect as he did not have much when he became GM and now he created a good crop of prospect that he is now using. Also he traded for some good prospect and younger player so that he can let some of his prospects have a chance to improve in the minors that way they can be ready to play for the team. My question to all Flames fan what do you want Sutter too do to this team make them a good young team surrounded by good vets, more of a young team with one or two good vets or be like Edmonton and be mostly young players?

My opinion I like the direction that Sutter is going. He has created a good nucleus of vet players at reasonable salary (Iginla, Phanuef, Kipprosuf, Regehr, Aucoin, Sarich and now Cammalleri) and are surrounding them with good team prospect and young players he got via trade. In a few years some of younger guys will turn into vets and maybe help the team win a cup.

Lunatik* 07-02-2008 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StreakingRed (Post 14700825)
To quote someone in another thread:

:D

at that point Sutter hadn't filled the rosters with 3rd liners... IMO he needs to take a chance on an overpaid top 6 forward if the other team will take a salary dump in return

Lunatik* 07-02-2008 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyde (Post 14701156)
The Flames will have to revert back to when they played better defensively and they have get some more out of their bottom six. This is not going to be the same team we all saw the last two seasons. Honestly I have no expectations for the Flames next year, they can either win the division as they can miss the playoffs, who can really say until we see this team play. All these signing have been to help the bottom six add youth grit and speed, guys who will backcheck and forecheck! Damn it Lunatik is is so wrong for one to want to take that risk for once and let the kids play.

but they arent to help the bottom 6... if thats the case we have 8 or 9 guys fighting for the bottom 6 spots

Buttonwood 07-03-2008 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatik (Post 14702127)
but they arent to help the bottom 6... if thats the case we have 8 or 9 guys fighting for the bottom 6 spots

Or those 8 or 9 guys can fight for 1 or 2 spots in the top 6. With the cap and over-inflation teams need to promote from within at times, an overpayment for a percieved 2nd liner right now could put us in some real trouble in the future.

The way I see it, the NHL cap has to correct itself eventually, like within the next 5 years when alot of these huge contracts are still floating around. Do we want Malone or Roloston on the team then? I would rather roll the dice with guys stepping up for this year than handcuff overselves from being able to do something when the market looks better.

Its not a fast track to the Stanley Cup, but it could be a blessing in surprise. I don't want to sound like a super-fan who thinks we can do no wrong, but I'm fairly certain the addition of Ryan Malone wasn't going to win us a Cup.

Lunatik* 07-03-2008 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makaveli92 (Post 14702704)
Or those 8 or 9 guys can fight for 1 or 2 spots in the top 6. With the cap and over-inflation teams need to promote from within at times, an overpayment for a percieved 2nd liner right now could put us in some real trouble in the future.

The way I see it, the NHL cap has to correct itself eventually, like within the next 5 years when alot of these huge contracts are still floating around. Do we want Malone or Roloston on the team then? I would rather roll the dice with guys stepping up for this year than handcuff overselves from being able to do something when the market looks better.

Its not a fast track to the Stanley Cup, but it could be a blessing in surprise. I don't want to sound like a super-fan who thinks we can do no wrong, but I'm fairly certain the addition of Ryan Malone wasn't going to win us a Cup.

but Hagman @ 3 million would have been affordable... he also plays a style of game that would have fit in well with the team... and he would bring top 6 ability

Hyde 07-03-2008 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatik (Post 14702765)
but Hagman @ 3 million would have been affordable... he also plays a style of game that would have fit in well with the team... and he would bring top 6 ability

Wait did the Flames make an offer to Hagman? Did Hagman want to play for Calgary Flames?

Lunatik if needed Sutter will find someone for the top six and I would bet that it would be done by trade not a UFA signing, IMO.

Really can't we just wait until after training camp before we all start wringing our hands and bemoaning our fate!

BearChi 07-03-2008 12:24 AM

what about jason williams coming to cowtown

Hyde 07-03-2008 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flames14 (Post 14702907)
what about jason williams coming to cowtown

No thanks, as seen on the thread I want our kids and the new kids get get a chance first.

BearChi 07-03-2008 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyde (Post 14702949)
No thanks, as seen on the thread I want our kids and the new kids get get a chance first.

who should we bring in then

Hyde 07-03-2008 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flames14 (Post 14702996)
who should we bring in then

Why should we just bring someone in? Why not wait and see what happens, Sutter will be kicking tires all summer I have no doubt so maybe we'll see a trade for someone more "top six".

Although if I could have the choice it would be Mietinen silly. ;)