HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Offer-Sheet route? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=531590)

Luongo4VP 07-02-2008 07:02 PM

Offer-Sheet route?

I would absolutely love for Lowe to go Via OS again this offseason lol.

Lets see whos all on the RFA market:

Svatos
Wideman
Bouwmeester
Lehtonen (get rid of Roli)
Bernier
Byfuglien
Leclaire
Fritsche
Umberger
Eriksson
Filppula
O'sullivan
Bouchard
Halak
Koistinen
Vermette
Meszaros
Carcillo
Clowe
Ehrhoff

Seems pretty good to me, we should throw one off to Svatos so he can play on our top line:yo:

It also pisses off a divisional rival:D

misfit 07-02-2008 07:03 PM

Any chance Florida doesn't match an offer for Bouwmeester?

didn't think so.

voxel 07-02-2008 07:05 PM

Byfuglien was resigned for $3M/yr a month back!

I'd be interested in Clowe, Bouwmeester, Vermette, Bouchard, but in reality I think we should stand pat and sign a UFA defensive center (Peca, Reasoner, etc..) as a replacement for Stoll/Reasoner.

Ryan Johnson would have been nice. Peca probably won't sign here. Who else is available?

nosaj 07-02-2008 07:05 PM

the thing is with an offer sheet we are not desperate for a player - like vancouver is or we were last year. As of now we really are a full team, but when a player like hossa or jagr comes along you jump on it and can make room. Otherwise it really isnt worth it unless it is a top 3 player - who even then would cost too much to find any value

Quatchi 07-02-2008 07:35 PM

Dibs out. We will need the picks down the road ...

Tyrolean 07-02-2008 07:44 PM

Right on, we blew it with Penner in a deep draft so no more for a long while please.

awesomo 07-02-2008 07:47 PM

how did we blow it exactly?

frag2 07-02-2008 07:47 PM

Dude, we dont want KL to pull a Gillis right now. He isnt desparate :laugh:

OF17 07-02-2008 07:57 PM

We don't need any of those players enough to make an OS and don't have the cap space to make one without having to make some changes. For a star like Hossa, I would have been willing to do that. But the only one on that list who is in that same category is JBO, and he has already said that he doesn't want to play for EDM. Not to mention defense isn't exactly our greatest need right now.

s7ark 07-02-2008 08:34 PM

I might try one on JayBo, but only if we can trade Souray(?+) for a 1st in 09. 09 is a draft where I want a 1st round pick. Only slightly less deep then 08 and with more top end players. We gotta be at that dance. Maybe SJ or Ottawa, whoever doesn't get Boyle?

It would probably take a 4 1sts offer to get them not to match though(something like a 7y 49M deal or something like that?). That is pretty steep. I don't know enough about the 11 or 12 drafts, but 09 and 10 are supposed to be very good.

Still, adding JayBo to the team might be worth it.

voxel 07-02-2008 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark (Post 14699318)
I might try one on JayBo, but only if we can trade Souray(?+) for a 1st in 09. 09 is a draft where I want a 1st round pick. Only slightly less deep then 08 and with more top end players. We gotta be at that dance. Maybe SJ or Ottawa, whoever doesn't get Boyle?

I suspect Panthers are looking for forwards if they trade JayBo. They are stacked on defense.

Something like 3 for one... Penner + Cogliano + excellent prospect/pick.

Spawn 07-02-2008 08:43 PM

I'd pass. But then again I would have passed last year on the Penner one too

oilers_guy_eddie 07-02-2008 08:55 PM

Let's not.

Maybe let's try and land Jagr or Naslund, and if that doesn't work out, just run with what we've got and look for opportunities later on, during the season, at the trade deadline, etc etc.

Some team will suddenly realize that they suck and decide to blow the whole thing up. Some player will get fed up with being on a crap team and demand a trade. Some guy's wife will notice that the southern US sunshine is putting freckles on her alabaster skin and demand that he relocate her to a sunless northern climate. Every season there's something big that happens out of the blue, and if Lowe keeps some cap space free and a stockpile of prospects and draft picks available as trading chips, maybe next time we can be the ones to cash in.

Or, instead of throwing money around like crazy, maybe we could use it to get long-term extensions for Horcoff and Cole done.

This has been an absolutely ridiculous couple of days for signing players to absurd contracts, and I'm kind of relieved that the Oilers didn't get caught up in it this time.

We've already seen substantial upgrades over the past few days. Let's not forget that even if Lowe doesn't make significant moves from here on out, this is already a better team.

workedforme 07-02-2008 08:56 PM

Carcillo is the type of guy I would LOVE to get here. Anytime we play Minny or someone tries to get physical with Gagner/Hemsky etc, put Carcillo out with them. The goes nuts anytime anyone gets hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFplN_FTMpE

plus the guy can score goals too.
Not that it matters, I hear Gretz loves the guy so the Yotes would probably match.But thats who I'd want.

Ice Whole 07-02-2008 09:00 PM

I hope Lowe doesnt give another offersheet to anyone.

hemigod 07-02-2008 10:23 PM

How about a high OS to Bernier resulting in a 2nd round pick as comp. for Bernier?

What the heck the Sabres already have a hate on for the Oil.

He would be amongst the right age for the Oil and could work real well in a developmental spot on the 4th line, potentially filling in for Cole in 09-10.

Jamie 07-03-2008 04:53 AM

Let's sign Carcillo to replace Torres. The compensation would be less than Brule and he has more promise.

voxel 07-03-2008 05:07 AM

Bernier + Carcillo aren't the type of impact players you send offersheets too. They don't have the size and skill of a Penner either.

A complete waste of time - see Vancouver's GM for wasting everybody's time with Backes.

Fourier 07-03-2008 05:39 AM

Any offer sheet is almost by definition going to carry a significant overpayment. You only do this if you have a pressing need or if you are getting a true star. I don't see a pressing need on the Oilers and other than JBo none of the rest would be impact players with the Oilers.

JBo's price would be well over $6M for Florida not to match, plus 4 1sts. This too steep for a guy who seems to shy away from attention. Edmonton is a pressure cooker at the best of times. Asking him to earn that kind of compensation sounds like a big mistake as he would be under the gun from the moment he arrived.