HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What most people overlook with Jagr (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=531928)

silverfish 07-03-2008 12:23 PM

What most people overlook with Jagr

Now I just want to start off this thread by saying, either way this Jagr situation turns out (although with Gomez's quote in the post today, I think I know which way the Rangers are going) I'll be happy. If he comes back, awesome, if he leaves, awesome. Obviously signing on Gomez and Drury over Lang and Rucinsky last year proved that Slats knew Jagr's time left with the Rangers would be short. Ok, back on to topic.

Jagr is going to be a very tough winger to replace, not only do his statistics speak for itself, but he was the team captain, and he helped out Dubinsky ALOT. I remember reading countless articles that would talk about how Jagr would take extra practice time to work with Dubinsky. It doesn't help that we're also losing Shanahan.

Also, how many times last season when we played the Pens, the Leafs before the deadline, or the Bruins did we hear Joe Michelleti (sp?) talk about how Jagr was being shadowed by Hal Gil, or Zdeno Chara? With Gil and Chara always on the ice when Jagr was, it opened up the game for the Gomez and Drury lines when they were on the ice. Now this season, without Jagr back, it will be the teams top defenseman against the Gomez line. Now this season, Gomez is going to have less space to work his way up the ice because he will be playing against teams number 1 defensive units.

I am confident that Gomez will be able to do this, but I believe it is a very important stature of Jagr's game that people really tend to overlook.

My two cents.

RMcDonagh 07-03-2008 12:25 PM

Yes, and it's one of the only reasons FOR bringing him back. However, it's not a life or death situation, and being only $8M from the cap ceiling, it's wise to avoid Jagr at this point.

nyrmessier011 07-03-2008 12:29 PM

If we lose Jagr to Pittsburgh I'm going to take a **** on Sather's face. Otherwise I feel the same way about him staying or leaving. I'm fine with it either way I guess. Would rather him stay for one more year, but I won't start crying over it.

Trxjw 07-03-2008 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 (Post 14711618)
If we lose Jagr to Pittsburgh I'm going to take a **** on Sather's face. Otherwise I feel the same way about him staying or leaving. I'm fine with it either way I guess. Would rather him stay for one more year, but I won't start crying over it.

You can't hold Sather responsible for Jagr signing with another team that you don't want to see him on. If Slats can't get Jagr back on the Rangers, the rest is completely out of his hands.

nyrmessier011 07-03-2008 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trxjw (Post 14711658)
You can't hold Sather responsible for Jagr signing with another team that you don't want to see him on. If Slats can't get Jagr back on the Rangers, the rest is completely out of his hands.

Pay up. For the next X years Pittsburgh is going to be the main hurdle in getting to the cup in the east, not to mention they are in our division. If it's not us, then its probably going to be Pittsburgh, we can't let it happen for a couple bucks. They just signed Fleury to a $5M/yr deal, whats there cap situation?

ed: They have about $8M of space like us

FutureGM97 07-03-2008 12:36 PM

With Jagr gone, Hal Gill and Chara are going to have a much tougher time shutting down Zherdev with his unbelievable speed.

NYROrtsFan 07-03-2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FutureGM97 (Post 14711825)
With Jagr gone, Hal Gill and Chara are going to have a much tougher time shutting down Zherdev with his unbelievable speed.

Huh?

FutureGM97 07-03-2008 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan (Post 14711883)
Huh?

It doesn't matter that Jagr is gone because Gil and Chara will be put on Zherdev. His speed will make it difficult for them to even cover him if that is their assignment

Trxjw 07-03-2008 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 (Post 14711785)
Pay up. For the next X years Pittsburgh is going to be the main hurdle in getting to the cup in the east, not to mention they are in our division. If it's not us, then its probably going to be Pittsburgh, we can't let it happen for a couple bucks. They just signed Fleury to a $5M/yr deal, whats there cap situation?

ed: They have about $8M of space like us

They also have a lot of spots to fill up front.

If Jagr want's to be the best player on the team, I don't think he's going to Pittsburgh. Clearly they have two players that are far beyond Jagr at this point in his career.

People forget that the Pens are going to be in a similar situation to us in a few seasons as they have the majority of their cap dedicated to 3 players in Malkin, Crosby and now Fleury. Staal is going to get decent money as well, so they aren't guaranteed to be the dynamic team they once were if they can't bring in any wingers for those two.

Looks like Satan (3.5) and Fedotenko (2.25) are going to Pittsburgh. I think that takes them out of the running for Jagr.

MortUWary 07-03-2008 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan (Post 14711883)
Huh?

In caveman language:
Gill and Chara big and slow. Zherdev fast. Go around Gill and Chara. Take out of position. Open up ice for others.

Poozer 07-03-2008 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MortUWary (Post 14712075)
In caveman language:
Gill and Chara big and slow. Zherdev fast. Go around Gill and Chara. Take out of position. Open up ice for others.

Nearly spit my drink out reading that.

Thank you.

I Eat Crow 07-03-2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

In caveman language:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Brilliant

I Am Chariot 07-03-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 (Post 14711618)
If we lose Jagr to Pittsburgh I'm going to take a **** on Sather's face.

LOL

Slats has done his job. The offer is on the table. This is the new NHL . Theres a Cap. Jagr has to man up and realize its all about the timing of the signings, the market this year, who you have already invested in. Its business, not personal...

If he has to be the highest paid guy in the room it might not work for building a decent team around him.

Rangers have a nice core. Jagr should be psyched.

They finally got a premier type D man QB and now hes going walk?

Great goaltender
Solid looking D + Redden to QB
GOMER DRURY
Everyone gained experience last year

No one wins the Cup in July, but with Jagr the Rangers have a great chance to be competitive next year.

silverfish 07-03-2008 01:31 PM

Quote:

In caveman language:

One of the funniest things I've ever read on a message board. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

but still...easier said then done.

NYRSinceBirth 07-03-2008 01:57 PM

I think one Jagr's strongest assets was drawing this big defensemen to him, and being able to handle them. Hal Gill is huge, yet Jagr always played through it, and did a damn good job of it. But now that he's most likely gone, these big defensemen are in big trouble. It's much more difficult for them to catch up to speedy guys like Gomer, Zherdev, and Dawes. It's going to be interesting to see how teams with the Hal Gill's of the league play our top lines now.