HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Luring Sundin? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=532295)

u8mylife47 07-03-2008 08:58 PM

Luring Sundin?

I know we only have about 3.4 million left, but we have way too many third/fourth liners.. I believe someone will be cut or traded for roster space shortly.. It's still very possible to clear about 1.5 million in cap space.

This allows about $5 million dollars for Sundin. Why would he do it?

1. He was already heavily considering New York
2. He wants to go to a contender (we're starting to look very good)
3. He gets to play with his buddy Naslund! (who I suspect could have gotten a much bigger contract, and took some sort of pay cut to be here).

Something looks sketchy. I don't think we're done. Maybe Sundin said he wants to wait a while, to give Sather enough time to make space for him.

Dawes - Sundin - Naslund
Drury - Gomez - Zherdev

wow.

Legs Feed the Wolf 07-03-2008 09:06 PM

you know i would kinda agree with you...he might just be waiting for sather to clear cap space...good notice

Trxjw 07-03-2008 09:06 PM

No thanks. I'd rather package some guys together for a player like Bernier or possibly Vermette than bring in another older player, even if it is Sundin.

bOnEs516 07-03-2008 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by u8mylife47 (Post 14725247)
I know we only have about 3.4 million left, but we have way too many third/fourth liners.. I believe someone will be cut or traded for roster space shortly.. It's still very possible to clear about 1.5 million in cap space.

This allows about $5 million dollars for Sundin. Why would he do it?

1. He was already heavily considering New York
2. He wants to go to a contender (we're starting to look very good)
3. He gets to play with his buddy Naslund! (who I suspect could have gotten a much bigger contract, and took some sort of pay cut to be here).

Something looks sketchy. I don't think we're done. Maybe Sundin said he wants to wait a while, to give Sather enough time to make space for him.

Dawes - Sundin - Naslund
Drury - Gomez - Zherdev

wow.

Hockey news was acutally projecting 3 million for Naslund..

FutureGM97 07-03-2008 09:12 PM

if Sather could somehow pull this off....wow

ThirdEye 07-03-2008 09:12 PM

I can safely say that Sundin will not be coming here

Ace2008 07-03-2008 09:13 PM

how about

Naslund---Sundin--Sjostrom*has everything - 3 20-25 goal guys

Zherdev--Gomez---G.Moore/T.Bertuzzi(no that's not a typo Todd!)

Dawes----Dubinsky-Prucha(I'm not saying a word..this line cleans up!

Drury-----Anisimov--Callahan(Basically 4 lines play all out attack) no more relying on Betts to Shutdown forwards...let the Defenders do the Shutdown stuff. The forwards still backcheck and play responsibly but no more line matching...Let the opposition coach try to match 4 lines...its the 2007 Buffalo Sabres all over again...any line thats out there is a true Scoring line w/ at least 2 20-25 goal caliber guys on the wings at any given time. Lets see more points for the forwards and more assists for the blueliners

Staal---Redden
Kalinin---Roz
Fahey--Girardi
Pock----Sauer/Sanguinetti/Hutchinson etc...

TrojanRanger 07-03-2008 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trxjw (Post 14725377)
No thanks. I'd rather package some guys together for a player like Bernier or possibly Vermette than bring in another older player, even if it is Sundin.

A ****ing men!

We need some size in our top 6. Bernier provides that and is only 23 so he has a ton of untapped ability.

Bernier, Zherdev, Fritsche, Korpikoski, Dubinsky, Dawes? That would give us 6 forwards with top 6 ability 23 or younger.

u8mylife47 07-03-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bOnEs516 (Post 14725394)
Hockey news was acutally projecting 3 million for Naslund..

I see what you're saying, but predictions are often wrong.

I mean, look at Ryder. The guy had an inferior season to Nazzy, has lots of baggage regarding his character/work ethic, and he got $4 million!

In THIS market, I would argue that getting Naslund at this price was a big bargain.

u8mylife47 07-03-2008 09:25 PM

As for age, don't we only have like 3 players over the age of 30? I mean, we're one of the youngest teams in the league right now!

No need to fear the veterans, they are also useful.

Plebeian 07-03-2008 09:28 PM

It's not that big of a bargin if you saw how he played last year in Vancouver. His mind was not there for all but one month. In a way i guess it's possible Sundin could go to you but he would only come here if he thought you were going to win the cup in 1-2 years or else he would sign for $20M in Vancouver.

DonCherrysSuit 07-03-2008 09:31 PM

Do you guys really want Sundin?

TrojanRanger 07-03-2008 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by u8mylife47 (Post 14725682)
As for age, don't we only have like 3 players over the age of 30? I mean, we're one of the youngest teams in the league right now!

No need to fear the veterans, they are also useful.

No doubt but I'd much rather have Bernier, who can grow and develop and stick around for a few year than Sundin, who will a. cost a ton of money, b. not be around for a while and c. probably regress.

FutureGM97 07-03-2008 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo23 (Post 14725778)
Do you guys really want Sundin?

if it happens on a 1 year deal somehow then that is fine by me. There would be no need to sign Shanny since the leadership quotient would be ridiculous. I'm not sure what the bonus policy is right now but maybe a very incentive laden contract like Shanny's was last year and then sign Mara cheap....would be the best the Rangers could do.

mschmidt64 07-03-2008 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFPatUSC (Post 14725589)
A ****ing men!

We need some size in our top 6. Bernier provides that and is only 23 so he has a ton of untapped ability.

Bernier, Zherdev, Fritsche, Korpikoski, Dubinsky, Dawes? That would give us 6 forwards with top 6 ability 23 or younger.

I like this idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace2008
how about

Drury-----Anisimov--Callahan(Basically 4 lines play all out attack) no more relying on Betts to Shutdown forwards...let the Defenders do the Shutdown stuff. The forwards still backcheck and play responsibly but no more line matching...Let the opposition coach try to match 4 lines...its the 2007 Buffalo Sabres all over again...any line thats out there is a true Scoring line w/ at least 2 20-25 goal caliber guys on the wings at any given time. Lets see more points for the forwards and more assists for the blueliners

Staal---Redden
Kalinin---Roz
Fahey--Girardi

I DON'T like this idea.

Drury on the fourth line? No way. You don't need four scoring lines. You don't even really need three. You'd like SOME scoring from your third line but you can get that with a Korpi/Fritsche/Cally third line.

Adding Sundin would be ok, but not trying to spread out our scorers over 4 lines. Put Sjostrom at the bottom where he belongs and move Drury back to the top 2. And don't bother with Bertuzzi.

wereback 07-03-2008 10:33 PM

really...drury on the fourth line....thats just bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace2008 (Post 14725488)
how about

Staal---Redden
Kalinin---Roz
Fahey--Girardi

Levitate 07-03-2008 10:36 PM

Sundin makes too many forwards, especially centers. bad idea if you ask me.

FromDubiToZherdev* 07-03-2008 10:44 PM

Please no Sundin.:cry: We can trade our pile of extra forwards for another legitimate winger.

Burlington Bomb 26 07-03-2008 10:48 PM

it'd be funny if jagr and Sundin had a convo about taking a paycut for NYC

JJ: Hey Mats whats up you crazy sob?
Mats: Nothing much, these two teams are really intrested in me but one is filled with french people, i dont know french. and the other team isnt that good. How are you?
JJ: Nothing much, The Rangers dropped out of going for me but the teams intrested in me are the pens, a bunch off jerk offs none the less, and the Oilers, i like the food in edmonton but not their team.
Mats: Yeah, well i dont need money and Vancouver is trying to give me like a bazillion dollars, cash money,
JJ: Hey i've got an idea. Let me talk to Glen Sather and ill get back to you.
--
JJ: Hey Glen, its Jagrbomb
Slats: Oh hey, im sorry it didnt work out for us.
JJ: oh no sweat, im on the phone with Mats Sundin right now, and we dont care about money. How does 1 million per year for 2 years sound for Me, and Mats each?
Slats: :amazed:
JJ: uhh Hello? Glen?
Slats: im here, lets announce it
JJ: lets hold off, just to piss of Mario, and Kevin.
Slats: okay
JJ: Let me tell Mats

mschmidt64 07-03-2008 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 (Post 14726967)
it'd be funny if jagr and Sundin had a convo about taking a paycut for NYC

JJ: Hey Mats whats up you crazy sob?
Mats: Nothing much, these two teams are really intrested in me but one is filled with french people, i dont know french. and the other team isnt that good. How are you?
JJ: Nothing much, The Rangers dropped out of going for me but the teams intrested in me are the pens, a bunch off jerk offs none the less, and the Oilers, i like the food in edmonton but not their team.
Mats: Yeah, well i dont need money and Vancouver is trying to give me like a bazillion dollars, cash money,
JJ: Hey i've got an idea. Let me talk to Glen Sather and ill get back to you.
--
JJ: Hey Glen, its Jagrbomb
Slats: Oh hey, im sorry it didnt work out for us.
JJ: oh no sweat, im on the phone with Mats Sundin right now, and we dont care about money. How does 1 million per year for 2 years sound for Me, and Mats each?
Slats: :amazed:
JJ: uhh Hello? Glen?
Slats: im here, lets announce it
JJ: lets hold off, just to piss of Mario, and Kevin.
Slats: okay
JJ: Let me tell Mats

Humor: It's harder than it looks.

FLYLine24* 07-03-2008 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FromGomezToZherdev (Post 14726883)
Please no Sundin.:cry: We can trade our pile of extra forwards for another legitimate winger.

Um...no we cant.

This is not NHL 08. GMs will not take a bunch of trash for a legitmate winger.

FromDubiToZherdev* 07-03-2008 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88 (Post 14727731)
Um...no we cant.

This is not NHL 08. GMs will not take a bunch of trash for a legitmate winger.

There are a lot of teams that would. Chicago and Buffalo would. Chicago is looking to clear cap space, and would probably trade Sharp if needed. Buffalo is desperate for d-men, so why not re-sign Mara, and trade him in a package for Bernier?

Plato 07-03-2008 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FromGomezToZherdev (Post 14727775)
There are a lot of teams that would. Chicago and Buffalo would. Chicago is looking to clear cap space, and would probably trade Sharp if needed. Buffalo is desperate for d-men, so why not re-sign Mara, and trade him in a package for Bernier?

Or maybe if they wanted to they could just sign Mara themselves...

FromDubiToZherdev* 07-03-2008 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plato (Post 14727816)
Or maybe if they wanted to they could just sign Mara themselves...

Mara has expressed that he only wants New York. It may sound kind of deceiving, but trade him if we have to.

Trxjw 07-03-2008 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FromGomezToZherdev (Post 14727871)
Mara has expressed that he only wants New York. It may sound kind of deceiving, but trade him if we have to.

First I've heard of that.