HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   It's articles like this that get my blood boiling ... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=532326)

Desert Panther 07-03-2008 10:57 PM

It's articles like this that get my blood boiling ...
 
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3472902

Quote:

4. Florida Panthers, NHL


Principal owner Alan Cohen has a long and attractive lease at BankAtlantic Center. But at some point, won't he get tired of owning the worst-run team in the NHL in the league's worst market? The Panthers regularly have fewer than 10,000 real human bodies in attendance for games, haven't made the playoffs since 2000 and have won more than one playoff round only once in their history. The real question is whether anyone would notice if the Panthers were gone.


bladoww 07-03-2008 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Panther (Post 14726194)

You know, I don't care too much for your team but these articles burn me the **** up too.

Piss off ESPN - stick to polishing Tiger's balls (and his golf balls too :sarcasm:).

JonathanHuberdoh 07-03-2008 11:05 PM

Who cares, it's ESPN? Those idiots don't know anything about hockey.

Dread Clawz 07-03-2008 11:33 PM

Nobody really has an accurate pulse on this team outside of South Florida, except for a select few. Nothing we can really do about that......but laugh at them for being so ignorant.

39ontheline 07-03-2008 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Panther (Post 14726194)

Oh please let me know which part of the article was inaccurate???

VirtualSpree 07-03-2008 11:52 PM

The real question is would anyone notice if espn stopped writing about hockey?

Danny Tanner* 07-04-2008 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 39ontheline (Post 14727020)
Oh please let me know which part of the article was inaccurate???


show me one game that we had under 10,000 fans. One. i'm a season ticket holder and there's never been a game where we've had fewer than 10,000 fans. announced attendance or not - there's more than 10,000 fans in the stands.

the only part true about the article is cohen having a long and attractive lease and being the worst run organization in the sport....but they're the worst run organization because of his blunders. moving the team anywhere won't cure that, so how does that equal relocation?

CanadianPantherFan 07-04-2008 01:48 AM

Read my thread, it must be Florida Panther bashing season :p:

zeroG 07-04-2008 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Tanner (Post 14728532)
show me one game that we had under 10,000 fans. One. i'm a season ticket holder and there's never been a game where we've had fewer than 10,000 fans. announced attendance or not - there's more than 10,000 fans in the stands.

the only part true about the article is cohen having a long and attractive lease and being the worst run organization in the sport....but they're the worst run organization because of his blunders. moving the team anywhere won't cure that, so how does that equal relocation?

:biglaugh:

sad but true. if they were paying attention, they'd realize that just about every move we've made over the past 2 years has been well received by hockey gurus and (most of) us fans alike. worst run? yeah, cohen's handled the PR side of things poorly and that clown yormark pimps everything he can get his hands on and, sure, the game presentations are a !@#$!@# circus but in terms of hockey operations, things have been looking up the past couple of years.

Laus723 07-04-2008 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 39ontheline (Post 14727020)
Oh please let me know which part of the article was inaccurate???

Worst run? It's in the running, sure. There are other teams out there such as Chicago and Toronto.

So far as being a team that could be "gone?" Clown should have at least done his homework. Team isn't going anywhere for at least the next 20 years. Hopefully someone else buys the team, or Cohen shows some patience with a re-build and/or a GM.

39ontheline 07-04-2008 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Tanner (Post 14728532)
show me one game that we had under 10,000 fans. One. i'm a season ticket holder and there's never been a game where we've had fewer than 10,000 fans. announced attendance or not - there's more than 10,000 fans in the stands.

the only part true about the article is cohen having a long and attractive lease and being the worst run organization in the sport....but they're the worst run organization because of his blunders. moving the team anywhere won't cure that, so how does that equal relocation?

I can think of several games I was at last year that had way under 10,000. I dont care about "announced attendance" I remember one game (the halloween game I believe) being very empty last year and not even close to 10k. I also know there were a few more also, as for citing attendance specifics, I know there were more empty games than sellouts last year. Good thing they screw season ticket holders by giving away free tickets to almost every game. I was a season ticket holder for 10 years and thankfully ended that trainwreck the year Luongo was traded (as I promised our rep I would not be re-newing if Roberto was gone). Ive gone to many many MANY games since then and havent paid a cent. Real nice org.......

Laus723 07-04-2008 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 39ontheline (Post 14729934)
I can think of several games I was at last year that had way under 10,000. I dont care about "announced attendance" I remember one game (the halloween game I believe) being very empty last year and not even close to 10k. I also know there were a few more also, as for citing attendance specifics, I know there were more empty games than sellouts last year. Good thing they screw season ticket holders by giving away free tickets to almost every game. I was a season ticket holder for 10 years and thankfully ended that trainwreck the year Luongo was traded (as I promised our rep I would not be re-newing if Roberto was gone). Ive gone to many many MANY games since then and havent paid a cent. Real nice org.......

So, wait a minute, you're going to start knocking the organization for something you use?

Madhatter73 07-04-2008 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 39ontheline (Post 14729934)
I can think of several games I was at last year that had way under 10,000. I dont care about "announced attendance" I remember one game (the halloween game I believe) being very empty last year and not even close to 10k. I also know there were a few more also, as for citing attendance specifics, I know there were more empty games than sellouts last year. Good thing they screw season ticket holders by giving away free tickets to almost every game. I was a season ticket holder for 10 years and thankfully ended that trainwreck the year Luongo was traded (as I promised our rep I would not be re-newing if Roberto was gone). Ive gone to many many MANY games since then and havent paid a cent. Real nice org.......

There have been slow games, but we all know, if the team starts to win, that building will fill.... quickly...

jol 07-04-2008 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laus723 (Post 14729411)
So far as being a team that could be "gone?" Clown should have at least done his homework. Team isn't going anywhere for at least the next 20 years. Hopefully someone else buys the team, or Cohen shows some patience with a re-build and/or a GM.

For Supersonics it cost $45 million to break the lease and again, have anybody been able to find actual leasedocument, maybe it can be found in Broward County's web page.

JOL

HardHitHorton 07-04-2008 02:15 PM

Just because they cover hardly any hockey doesn't mean they don't know anything about it. I think they are correct.

HardHitHorton 07-04-2008 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laus723 (Post 14729411)
Worst run? It's in the running, sure. There are other teams out there such as Chicago and Toronto.

So far as being a team that could be "gone?" Clown should have at least done his homework. Team isn't going anywhere for at least the next 20 years. Hopefully someone else buys the team, or Cohen shows some patience with a re-build and/or a GM.

Well, I'd much rather be in Chicago's situation with Toews, Kane, Huet, Barker, etc. Toronto may be up there with the Panthers as the worst run franchise in the NHL. Where the Panthers are ahead of the Maple Leafs are they don't make as dumb of signings and are not tied up in signings for millions of dollars. But at least their owner cares and tries to put out a good product and invests in his team. The Panthers can't do that because they aren't willing to spend. At least Toronto will have someone that knows how to run an organization when Brian Burke comes in next season though.

Danny Tanner* 07-04-2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jol (Post 14735986)
For Supersonics it cost $45 million to break the lease and again, have anybody been able to find actual leasedocument, maybe it can be found in Broward County's web page.

JOL

it was $75 million - and their lease was only for what? 2-3 more years? i'm assuming it'll cost substantially more to break a 20 year lease....

Danny Tanner* 07-04-2008 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 39ontheline (Post 14729934)
I can think of several games I was at last year that had way under 10,000. I dont care about "announced attendance" I remember one game (the halloween game I believe) being very empty last year and not even close to 10k. I also know there were a few more also, as for citing attendance specifics, I know there were more empty games than sellouts last year. Good thing they screw season ticket holders by giving away free tickets to almost every game. I was a season ticket holder for 10 years and thankfully ended that trainwreck the year Luongo was traded (as I promised our rep I would not be re-newing if Roberto was gone). Ive gone to many many MANY games since then and havent paid a cent. Real nice org.......

halloween game...i believe that's the game stillman banked the puck off vokoun from behind the net with about a minute left? yep - wasn't under 10k. you're either blind or naive if you think it was. the building holds about 20,000 - meaning it would have to be half-empty for it to be under 10. it was empty comparative to a "normal game" - but it wasn't half empty. 11,000? maybe. 12,000? maybe.


and as far as you not renewing....whatever, i've seen plenty bandwagoners come and go through the years....if they start competing again, you'll be back.

Danny Tanner* 07-04-2008 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HardHitHorton (Post 14736613)
Well, I'd much rather be in Chicago's situation with Toews, Kane, Huet, Barker, etc. Toronto may be up there with the Panthers as the worst run franchise in the NHL. Where the Panthers are ahead of the Maple Leafs are they don't make as dumb of signings and are not tied up in signings for millions of dollars. But at least their owner cares and tries to put out a good product and invests in his team. The Panthers can't do that because they aren't willing to spend. At least Toronto will have someone that knows how to run an organization when Brian Burke comes in next season though.

"worst run" doesn't always mean personnel moves. the hawks, for years, didn't televise home games which alienated their fan base. a once proud hockey city was drawing under 10,000 consistently because wirtz was a total clown.

zeroG 07-04-2008 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HardHitHorton (Post 14736613)
Well, I'd much rather be in Chicago's situation with Toews, Kane, Huet, Barker, etc. Toronto may be up there with the Panthers as the worst run franchise in the NHL. Where the Panthers are ahead of the Maple Leafs are they don't make as dumb of signings and are not tied up in signings for millions of dollars. But at least their owner cares and tries to put out a good product and invests in his team. The Panthers can't do that because they aren't willing to spend. At least Toronto will have someone that knows how to run an organization when Brian Burke comes in next season though.

troll much?

Desert Panther 07-04-2008 03:03 PM

And if you want to talk about attendance figures, there are several other franchises that are drawing many fewer physical bodies than the Cats ..

I've been to several Coyote games and most of the time, there are whole sections that have no one in them. Carolina has some pretty serious attendance issues as well and New Jersey doesn't even draw for playoff games a lot of the time..

Danny Tanner* 07-04-2008 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Panther (Post 14737547)
And if you want to talk about attendance figures, there are several other franchises that are drawing many fewer physical bodies than the Cats ..

I've been to several Coyote games and most of the time, there are whole sections that have no one in them. Carolina has some pretty serious attendance issues as well and New Jersey doesn't even draw for playoff games a lot of the time..

early this year the caps (pre-boudreau) had empty sections...in the lower bowl!

one season later their place is packed with a "red out" and a ridiculous atmosphere...why? they won hockey games. it's a pretty simple formula, really.

our situation is much better than washington's was before their success....or tampa's....or carolina's....we'll be fine if they put a decent team on the ice who can build some excitement down here.

Booth10 07-04-2008 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HardHitHorton (Post 14736613)
Well, I'd much rather be in Chicago's situation with Toews, Kane, Huet, Barker, etc. Toronto may be up there with the Panthers as the worst run franchise in the NHL. Where the Panthers are ahead of the Maple Leafs are they don't make as dumb of signings and are not tied up in signings for millions of dollars. But at least their owner cares and tries to put out a good product and invests in his team. The Panthers can't do that because they aren't willing to spend. At least Toronto will have someone that knows how to run an organization when Brian Burke comes in next season though.


Toronto takes in $75 million more a year than the Panthers according to Forbes and they spent $1 million more in player salaries last year.
This year, after Bouwmeester is signed, the will be spending $2 million more than the Panthers.

Pheonix, Atlanta, Los Angeles, etc, are $12 million below both of them.

Even though the Panthers are one of the lowest revenue teams in the league.

Last year the Panthers were $2 million below the Cap and it looks like they will increase salaries again to over $50 million. They were at $22 million a few years ago.

39ontheline 07-04-2008 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Tanner (Post 14736839)
halloween game...i believe that's the game stillman banked the puck off vokoun from behind the net with about a minute left? yep - wasn't under 10k. you're either blind or naive if you think it was. the building holds about 20,000 - meaning it would have to be half-empty for it to be under 10. it was empty comparative to a "normal game" - but it wasn't half empty. 11,000? maybe. 12,000? maybe.


and as far as you not renewing....whatever, i've seen plenty bandwagoners come and go through the years....if they start competing again, you'll be back.

Ill never give this group a penny ever again. I guess 10 years of season tickets makes me a bandwagoner...... good talk.

Laus723 07-04-2008 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 39ontheline (Post 14740783)
Ill never give this group a penny ever again. I guess 10 years of season tickets makes me a bandwagoner...... good talk.

Ever again? SERIOUSLY doubt that. HIGHLY doubt that. In fact, I'm guessing that once the team starts winning, no matter how long that takes, you'll start spending again.

I guess for now you can eat up the free tickets you're complaining about. :laugh:

HF isn't a forum just for those who want to complain.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.