HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Sather: Rangers to change their style of play (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=532344)

Turambar 07-03-2008 11:50 PM

Sather: Rangers to change their style of play
 
Quote:

"We're going to play an upbeat style of hockey," says Sather. "We were disappointed in our playoff loss to Pittsburgh." The new, improved style promised by the high command tickles Naslund's fancy.
"I like the direction the Rangers are going," says Naslund. "And I'm looking forward to playing the kind of game that made Detroit the Stanley Cup Champions."
http://blogs.msg.com/gameon/2008/07/the-newest-new.html



Quote:

Playing alongside either Chris Drury or Scott Gomez -- the star free-agent centers the Rangers signed a year ago -- Naslund could again find the scoring touch.
"He's a good skater, he's got a great shot, he sees the ice well. We think that he's going to be able to play a give-and-go kind of a game that we'd like to develop," Sather said. "We've changed the style of our team considerably in the last few days. We want to be more of a puck-movement team and a little more of a freewheeling team with defensive responsibilities.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3472934

ECL 07-03-2008 11:53 PM

This should have happened midway through last season.

Plato 07-03-2008 11:54 PM

I really hope Naslund is as motivated on the ice as he sounds right now. Good times ahead if thats so.

Trxjw 07-03-2008 11:54 PM

Exactly what I was hoping for. Great news. :handclap:

Burlington Bomb 26 07-03-2008 11:55 PM

This team is really going to be looking different, with new faces, and a new style, lol

FromDubiToZherdev* 07-03-2008 11:56 PM

:yo::D

Very happy. Let's just hope Renney is up to the transition.

FLYLine24 07-04-2008 12:02 AM

I'll believe it when I see it....


But if it happens...I will be giddy like a school girl! :D

We would really have some exciting hockey to look forward to every night if Renney buys into it.

Forever Blue 07-04-2008 12:04 AM

I don't think this is a matter of Renney buying into it. This is the system he's wanted to play from the beginning, but they had to wait until Jagr was gone to implement it.

FLYLine24 07-04-2008 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Save By Richter (Post 14727232)
I don't think this is a matter of Renney buying into it. This is the system he's wanted to play from the beginning, but they had to wait until Jagr was gone to implement it.

What?

I totally disagree with that 200%.

Was Jagr holding a gun to Renneys head? And if anything Jagr would be the one that would want the run and gun offensive style..not a defensive style.

Seriously, what are you basing that on? I'd love to know...

Forever Blue 07-04-2008 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88 (Post 14727244)
What?

I totally disagree with that 200%.

Was Jagr holding a gun to Renneys head? And if anything Jagr would be the one that would want the run and gun offensive style..not a defensive style.

Nowhere does it say "run and gun". It's a puck movement team that still maintains its defensive responsibilities, that's what Renney wants and that's what Sather's talking about. Jagr would rather the offense go through him.

FromDubiToZherdev* 07-04-2008 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Save By Richter (Post 14727232)
I don't think this is a matter of Renney buying into it. This is the system he's wanted to play from the beginning, but they had to wait until Jagr was gone to implement it.

If Jagr was in charge, there would be about 10+ 6-5 games last season with our old abysmal defense. Also, we wouldn't have that huge scoring slump and the players wouldn't be taught Renney's 5-in-the-box system.

I think this will drastically help our PP. Changing the mindset of the players on what to do and when always helps. As I said before, the coach has to preach it.

Forever Blue 07-04-2008 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FromGomezToZherdev (Post 14727306)
If Jagr was in charge, there would be about 10+ 6-5 games last season with our old abysmal defense. Also, we wouldn't have that huge scoring slump and the players wouldn't be taught Renney's 5-in-the-box system.

I think this will drastically help our PP. Changing the mindset of the players on what to do and when always helps. As I said before, the coach has to preach it.

You do realize that a major reason for that huge scoring slump was that Jagr took forever to find the center he could play with?

FromDubiToZherdev* 07-04-2008 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Save By Richter (Post 14727326)
You do realize that a major reason for that huge scoring slump was that Jagr took forever to find the center he could play with?

I don't think it was only that. Drury and Gomez had to adjust to NYC as much as Jagr had to find his center. The team, is well, more team-orientated, and we now have two or three lines capable of scoring.

FutureGM97 07-04-2008 12:13 AM

One thing that we fans have to remember is to GIVE THIS TIME! We can't expect everything to come together immediately as much as we would want. Hopefully it doesn't take as long as last year but it will happen. I am very excited about the kind of game this team will play.

FLYLine24 07-04-2008 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Save By Richter (Post 14727278)
Nowhere does it say "run and gun". It's a puck movement team that still maintains its defensive responsibilities, that's what Renney wants and that's what Sather's talking about. Jagr would rather the offense go through him.

He stated "an upbeat style" if that screams defense to you then i guess me and you interpret it differently.


And i ask again...was Jagr holding a gun to Renneys head? Please answer that. Its Renneys team, he is the head coach, not Jagr. So why bring up "the way Jagr wanted the team to play???"

Forever Blue 07-04-2008 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88 (Post 14727451)
He stated "an upbeat style" if that screams defense to you then i guess me and you interpret it differently.

Where did I say it "screams defense"?

You might want to read Sather's quote:

Quote:

We want to be more of a puck-movement team and a little more of a freewheeling team with defensive responsibilities.
They're going to open it up some more because they've acquired the speed and puck handlers to do it. This will not be a run and gun offense like Buffalo in 06-07. Like they said, they want to be more like Detroit, which played very tight defense (and a left wing lock once they got a lead, something Renney's played since Vancouver).

Forever Blue 07-04-2008 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88 (Post 14727451)
And i ask again...was Jagr holding a gun to Renneys head? Please answer that. Its Renneys team, he is the head coach, not Jagr. So why bring up "the way Jagr wanted the team to play???"

Jagr was his best player, he was going to cater the offense to him. He would be dumb not to. Now that they have a chance to move on from Jagr, they're going to go with the type of attack they prefer, which is more open and involves quicker and more precise puck movement than the methodical game Jagr excels at.

Gardner McKay 07-04-2008 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Save By Richter (Post 14727536)
Where did I say it "screams defense"?

You might want to read Sather's quote:



They're going to open it up some more because they've acquired the speed and puck handlers to do it. This will not be a run and gun offense like Buffalo in 06-07. Like they said, they want to be more like Detroit, which played very tight defense (and a left wing lock once they got a lead, something Renney's played since Vancouver).

Correct me if I am wrong, but Naslund was on that team when Renney coached Vancouver... So he must already have a good idea of what will work with Naslund and what wont?

FLYLine24 07-04-2008 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Save By Richter (Post 14727562)
Jagr was his best player, he was going to cater the offense to him. He would be dumb not to. Now that they have a chance to move on from Jagr, they're going to go with the type of attack they prefer, which is more open and involves quicker and more precise puck movement than the methodical game Jagr excels at.

And once again I ask..why? Was he holding a gun to Renneys head?

He is NOT the coach. Is renney so weak he has to give into what jagr wants and cant coach it how he wants?


If so then Renney needs to get the hell out. No need for a coach who cant think for himself.

Forever Blue 07-04-2008 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky (Post 14727591)
Correct me if I am wrong, but Naslund was on that team when Renney coached Vancouver... So he must already have a good idea of what will work with Naslund and what wont?

Yeah, Naslund played with Renney one season in Vancouver. And earlier this year, if I remember correctly, he had good things to say about Renney. Probably a factor in him signing here.

Dredden 07-04-2008 12:28 AM

Im glad we are changing our style and probably better with jagr not on the team.The team is moving along, having better intentions.

Forever Blue 07-04-2008 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88 (Post 14727617)
And once again I ask..why? Was he holding a gun to Renneys head?

He is NOT the coach. Is renney so weak he has to give into what jagr wants and cant coach it how he wants?


If so then Renney needs to get the hell out. No need for a coach who cant think for himself.

You can't possibly not see the point.

Renney's going to do whatever is best to win with the roster given to him. Jagr was his best offensive player, and played a certain style of hockey with the puck. It would be stupid for Renney to force him to change. It would hurt the team.

Once Jagr's contract was up, the team saw the opportunity to move on and build the roster more towards their style. But with Jagr on the roster, of course they were going to cater to Jagr offensively. He was their best player and they wanted to put him in the best position to succeed.

It's quite simple.

jas 07-04-2008 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Save By Richter (Post 14727635)
Yeah, Naslund played with Renney one season in Vancouver. And earlier this year, if I remember correctly, he had good things to say about Renney. Probably a factor in him signing here.

So did Redden, but, some people think he should just "get the hell out".

19nazzy 07-04-2008 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Save By Richter (Post 14727635)
Yeah, Naslund played with Renney one season in Vancouver. And earlier this year, if I remember correctly, he had good things to say about Renney. Probably a factor in him signing here.

Yep.
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...92a72e887c&p=2
Quote:

Teammate Markus Naslund added: "In that way, Tom probably was ahead of his time. I think he would have been a lot easier for guys to accept now."

2Leetch_94 07-04-2008 12:34 AM

Yeah, while I'd miss Jagr and no doubt he's a big loss but on the other hand I'm excited to see what this team is capable of without him as well. We signed Drury and Gomez to 14 million combined and a big part of that is for their leadership and intangibles. I'm not saying that neither could do those things last year with Jagr here but at the same time it was still Jagr's team, he was the captain, the team played as well as Jagr played. Perhaps this shift of responsibly to Drury and Gomez as well as bringing in some fresher legs (Zherdev, Naslund is around Straka's age, yes? A little younger than Jagr and a few years on Shanahan). Maybe the forwards going into last year were better on paper and more impressive, it doesn't automatically mean it's going to produce more on the ice when we need it.

With the defense, while I'm not a fan of giving Redden and Rozsival a combined 11.5M for the next four seasons, with some of the contracts handed out the last three days, if we didn't - someone else would. It does improve the defense and with Staal and Girardi, they form a pretty solid front four. Kalinin and possibly Mara? wouldn't be a horrible third pairing, either. At least good enough until a Sanguinetti, Sauer, Potter are ready to step in.

Obviously we won't know how this team gels until the season gets here but to say that we're worse off or better off right now is simply an opinion and either side of the coin would have valid points and reasons for their side.

Even if this team isn't good enough to make it to the finals in 2008/09, I still think it's a step in the right direction and a bold move to change the team up. You could argue, "we were a couple bounces away from making it to the Eastern Conference Finals in two straight years! Why mess with it?". I counter with "True, we were a few bounces away but the fact remains we didn't get pass the second round and the team underperformed a lot along the way."


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.