HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Shanahan? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=532388)

Lafontaine 07-04-2008 01:53 AM

Shanahan?

Is no one interested in Shanny - or is it just so unrealistic that we aren't even talking about it?

Look, I know we don't need any more wingers, but this team still needs more leadership, toughness and experience. We are a contender and have to address some of our failings in this year's post season. Laraque is a step in the right direction, but I think that the likes of Shanny, or even Nolan would be cheap, $2 - $4 million options that could complete the puzzle.

Only thing is that the Sundin situation is really screwing us. Obviously, he is still the key to solving our center problem, but how many players will pass us by if he waits two months to say no?

All of of these back-up plan centermen will be gone if we wait too long:

Peca
Forsberg
Morrison
Gratton
Federov
Perreault!
Smolinski

Now, I know Gainey insinuated he was happy with our 4 centers, but I mean, come on... with Grabovski gone, when Saku gets hurt (and he will), who will become our 2nd scoring center? Kyle?!! I'm not thrilled with paying some of those guys listed above, but I'm less thrilled with trusting our secondary scoring to Chipchura.

Hell, I say don't mess around. Maybe this isn't our year (once again) for solving our center issues. Sundin is 38 anyways and will cost $10!!! Why not bring in Shanny, even if it costs good coin, and add an emergency center while they're still on the market?

I love the idea of having Shanahan standing in front of the net on the powerplay!

Price
Halak
Denis

Markov
Komisarek
Hamrlik
Bouillon
Gorges
O'Byrne
Dandenault

Kovalev-Plekanec-AK46
Tanguay-Koivu-Shanny
Higgins-Federov-S-Kost
Laraque-Chipchura-Begin

Kostopolous
Lappiere
Latendresse

PS: Does anybody else feel not entirely thrilled about our defense? Maybe bringing in extra cover like this would allow us to move a forward for another strong option on defense.

jayoneill 07-04-2008 03:50 AM

im sure you can see what direction the team is going in no point in bringing all these old guys when the guys in hamilton can do the same thing at a cheaper price and if not better.shanny is done imo and fedorov will be back in washington.bring up some boys from hamilton during the year switch it up and see who's fitting in.we have enough wingers as it is aswell you got over 3 mill going to hamilton with those lines you made up.

skidboot 07-04-2008 06:39 AM

I wouldn't mind having Shanahan. He's not the player he once was but he can still add muscle along the boards and in front of the net. He can still pop a few also.

I'd like to see Gregory Stewart push for a job. Loved that game he played last year. He has to play that game every time out. Can he do it?

Sam I Am 07-04-2008 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lafontaine (Post 14729038)

Peca
Forsberg
Morrison
Gratton
Federov
Perreault
Smolinski

Now, I know Gainey insinuated he was happy with our 4 centers, but I mean, come on... with Grabovski gone, when Saku gets hurt (and he will), who will become our 2nd scoring center? Kyle?!! I'm not thrilled with paying some of those guys listed above, but I'm less thrilled with trusting our secondary scoring to Chipchura...

Even without injury, the Habs are rather thin down center. Signing Shanahan does not address this issue (although he is a player I have always coveted). With the arrival of Tanguay and the emergence of the Kostitsyn brothers and Higgins, Shanahan's place in the line-up is not clear.

Of those centermen on your list, only Forsberg and Federov really interest me at all. If one of these guys could be signed short-term (ie one season), it could work well for us.

Of the others, Morrison is small and on the decline. Not what we need. With the exception of a 3-week period, Smolinski stunk last season. Peca is a Lapierre-like player, only past his prime and probably overpaid. Perreault and Gratton...maybe six years ago.

Noticeably absent from the list is Pavol Demetra. If he is not damaged goods, I say why not? He is over 200 lbs, and a proven puck-distributor.

My guess is that Gainey will hold out for Sundin. If he can't be signed, a trade will be made to bring in a veteran center.

ed ible* 07-04-2008 08:05 AM

I think we only need one more spot to fill and that is at center.

shutehinside 07-04-2008 09:30 AM

After he used us to drive up his price, I say **** Shannahan. Let him play for the Islanders where all the has beens go to languish.

Megaforce 07-04-2008 09:42 AM

If we make Shanahan an offer he'll take it and run out the door and show it to every other GM to see if they'll give more.

Don't need this sneaky twerp on the team after that stunt he pulled last year. Once bitten twice shy.

Habs 4 Life 07-04-2008 09:43 AM

2 years ago I wanted him here,now we don't really need him.I would rather go after Selanne for 1 year

rudethedude66 07-04-2008 10:07 AM

Too old and slow for our team...He's lost a lot in 2 years.

Maxpac 07-04-2008 10:13 AM

We really don't need any wingers anymore, Kovalev, A.Kost, S.Kost, Higgins, Tanguay and Latendresse, that's 6 and relatively cheap offensive wingers, we're beyond set at wing and we practice a really strong skating game that Shanny coudn't follow anymore so he'd be a bad fit

DamianHabs 07-04-2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayoneill (Post 14730135)
im sure you can see what direction the team is going in no point in bringing all these old guys when the guys in hamilton can do the same thing at a cheaper price and if not better.shanny is done imo and fedorov will be back in washington.bring up some boys from hamilton during the year switch it up and see who's fitting in.we have enough wingers as it is aswell you got over 3 mill going to hamilton with those lines you made up.

So you think that any of the Hamilton players can score 20+ goals like Shanahan did last season? Come on. :shakehead

I agree with the original post in this thread. Shanny would bring some grit and leadership and skill to the Habs. I would at least find out what it will take to sign him.

Marc the Habs Fan 07-04-2008 10:52 AM

If you saw him in the Penguins series, you know why there's been little to no talk about him.

He is now SLOW. Our team is too fast for him at this point.

Lafontaine 07-04-2008 11:03 AM

I agree but...

I agree that Shanny is too slow for our top two lines actually. Perhaps he plays limited minutes 5 on 5, or just teams with Laraque and Chipchura to form a bang line.

The reason I am thinking we need someone like him is for the reason (gulp, I hate to say it) Don Cherry pointed out quite clearly in the play-offs. Our powerplay sucked when the going got tough because there was no one who would pay the price in the crease. I am not set on Shanahan, but I think that someone like him (Nolan?) is really what this team needs outside of a number one center!

As far as our Centers, I am sorry, but Sundin might be a long shot and we NEED someone else. No one in Hamilton can step up and be competent with someone like Kovalev or Tanguay on his wings. Look, I know that none of the UFA Centers are that exciting, but on a one or two year deal, it just makes sense to hire some experienced insurance.

As another poster said, the other option is we wait, and then try for a trade once we miss Sundin. Even if that happens, attracting Nolan or Shanahan frees us up to use one of our wingers as trade bait.

Psycho Papa Joe 07-04-2008 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megaforce (Post 14731594)
If we make Shanahan an offer he'll take it and run out the door and show it to every other GM to see if they'll give more.

Don't need this sneaky twerp on the team after that stunt he pulled last year. Once bitten twice shy.

Gainey should offer him a one year, two way deal at league minimum.

StlRams514 07-04-2008 11:57 AM

We WON'T have to offer Sundin 10 million a season... If he even plays, he won't want to play out West at all, WAY too much travel. In the range of 7-8 million for Sundin.
Let's hope for the best in that situation, but I really like Gainey's approach. He's only going after players he really wants, he isn't gonna go after backup/emergency plan, see the Samsonov drama.

Habs8517 07-04-2008 12:20 PM

no thanks
you dont cross Bob and expect to play here after :rant:
let him rot on a bottom team :laugh:

mabus 07-04-2008 01:02 PM

Quote:

Is no one interested in Shanny - or is it just so unrealistic that we aren't even talking about it?....

PS: Does anybody else feel not entirely thrilled about our defense? Maybe bringing in extra cover like this would allow us to move a forward for another strong option on defense.

I like Shanny a lot and would be thrilled to have him. But we need Sundin a LOT more, and you can't sign both. So it seems Gainey is keeping cap space open in case Sundin signs. Besides, Shannahan is not going to help us a HUGE amount. We have Kovalev, and Kostitsyn, and Tanguay already as wingers who can score.

As far as our defence goes. I think we have one of the best defensive corps in the league. Not THE best mind you, but we're definately one of the better ones.

Hamrlik was a beast last season. Komisarek crushes players into the boards, Dandeneault is a highly mobile puck moving defenseman. Markov was an All-Star last season. O'Byrne is going to be another Komisarek-like player. Bouillon plays as if he was 2 feet taller and wider than he is. We lost Streit, and that will hurt us though. He was great on the power play, but that's not a "defensive" problem per se.

Monctonscout 07-04-2008 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mabus (Post 14734987)
I like Shanny a lot and would be thrilled to have him. But we need Sundin a LOT more, and you can't sign both. So it seems Gainey is keeping cap space open in case Sundin signs. Besides, Shannahan is not going to help us a HUGE amount. We have Kovalev, and Kostitsyn, and Tanguay already as wingers who can score.

As far as our defence goes. I think we have one of the best defensive corps in the league. Not THE best mind you, but we're definately one of the better ones.

Hamrlik was a beast last season. Komisarek crushes players into the boards, Dandeneault is a highly mobile puck moving defenseman. Markov was an All-Star last season. O'Byrne is going to be another Komisarek-like player. Bouillon plays as if he was 2 feet taller and wider than he is. We lost Streit, and that will hurt us though. He was great on the power play, but that's not a "defensive" problem per se.

I don't think you'll see Dandenault on defense...probably not on the team at all, Gainey made it clear that he may add a #7 d-man so he considers Dandenault a forward.

Kaptain Bégin 07-04-2008 01:30 PM

No, thanks. He's too slow, want too much money and can't play center. And stop saying he go on front of the net, it's false. He play a little bit like Ryder, on the slot. I take D'agostini before him. And Shanny miss more game than Koivu in the last 3 years.

HabstuckinTO 07-04-2008 01:31 PM

Nope - he had his chance.

Ice Poutine 07-04-2008 01:36 PM

There's one good thing: Shanahan :wally: would make Lats and Big George both look like fast skaters...

chitownhabsfan 07-04-2008 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shutehinside (Post 14731492)
After he used us to drive up his price, I say **** Shannahan. Let him play for the Islanders where all the has beens go to languish.

Since Shanny has been in NY for the last two seasons, look for him to sign with the Devils or Isles, either of those would be a preferred choice.

Beyond those two teams, somewhere else and anywhere but Montréal. He had his chance and turned it down or let his wife turn it down for him.

Demitra? Yes, cause he has something to prove after a bad year and if the price and term length are right?

Otherwise, go with youth, giving some Bulldog centers an opportunity for twenty games or more, dependent upon their performance.

:yo:

:habs

JrHockeyFan 07-05-2008 01:13 AM

So this disgustingly slow guy scored 23 goals and 23 assists in 73 games. I think a couple of our guys need to slow down a bit

peperebougon* 07-05-2008 01:27 AM

Quote:

Is no one interested in Shanny - or is it just so unrealistic that we aren't even talking about it?

Peca
Forsberg
Morrison
Gratton
Federov
Perreault!
Smolinski

Of course Shanny would be a good fit...leadership wise he would be awesome.

From the list of centers you just mentionned, I only wanted Federov but he is gone now. Peca would be an ok signing but we have to UNDERPAY for him because he WILL get injured. Great character guy though and very good defensive forward and is pretty physical. Forsberg: he would have to take a HUGE paycut...but he won't. And he WILL get injured. Morrisson: I don't really like him that much. Have been leeching off Naslund for years... Is he good defensively though??? Gratton... meh... I prefer our kids. Perreault: meh...see Gratton. Smoke: hell no!!!!!

so I'd be looking only at Peca on your list...with a 1.5 mill salary max. If Forsberg would be asking 3 mill or less, I'd sign him with bonuses on games played (although the bonuses count against the cap).

Better...I'd keep the money and space for Sundin for when/if he is ready. Preferably halfway through the season (the ducks way). Imagine Sundin and Forsberg both signing here halfway through the season!!!! (for those to whom you need to explain everything to: I know this won't happen)

peperebougon* 07-05-2008 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayoneill (Post 14730135)

The thing you seem to forget is we need a couple of stabilizing vets for the bad sequences... Shanny/Peca could do that. Some experience can't hurt. Don't tell me Chipchoo would do as good as Federov/Peca... He would do a good job but experience cannot be bought. We need guy like the Hamr to get young guys under their wing and teach them how to do the little things that make you win.

Having a Shanny in the locker room makes sense to me... These type of guys will be able to stabilize the team and show the young guns not to get too pumped in good moments and not to panic in hard times. Experience is pretty damn underrated here... Imagine us facing the wings next Stanley Cup Finals without a 25-26 years old team. We would get crushed. Sure we love our kids but... we can't have all our prospects make the team. What's the hurry??? Injuries will happen and they'll get their chance. It's up to them then to take the opportunity and steal another player's spot. Why GIVE a roster spot? You have to earn it:nod:

Who would you call up when there are injuries if Chipchoo, D'Ago, Valentenko, Stewart are all with the team? We will have to do another Ribeiro like trade? Lack of depth really cost us in the past...Didn't you learn something from this????