HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Top 4 Defenceman (Rachunek) for #1 LW'er (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=53269)

eazye 02-18-2004 07:03 AM

Top 4 Defenceman (Rachunek) for #1 LW'er

With Ottawa's depth at defence and with a lack of scoring on Left wing, what could Ottawa get for Rachunek? Rachunek has been a healthy scratch the last 2 games and Pothier has looked good in his place. With Volchenkov set to return next month, Ottawa will have 9 defenceman including Rachunek. Just wondering what's out there?

SingnBluesOnBroadway 02-18-2004 07:23 AM

How about Rachunek for Martin Rucinsky and Matthew Barnaby?

shakes 02-18-2004 07:29 AM

Seems to me you forgot the word "potential" top 4 defencemanin your proposal.

musdy 02-18-2004 07:31 AM

rachnuk for bondra

Spiffy 02-18-2004 07:38 AM

I think that we have seen indications (trading Schastlivy) that the sens are content with their LW situation.

Calorissi 02-18-2004 07:55 AM

I don't agree that Ottawa is happy with their LW.
The Schatslivy trade was to make room on the LW and to get more toughness and leadership on the team.
With two of our starting four centres out with broken feet, Smoke has had to move to centre. Though he has done well, it opened a larger hole on LW.
Ottawa's current lines are:
Havlat Smoke Hossa
Schaefer Spezza Alfredsson
Langfeld Van Allen Neil
Knidy(extra D) (Doubleshifted Centre) Binghamton Call Up

Injured:
Varada (LW)
Fisher (Centre - Played LW on Sens)
Vermette (centre - Played LW on Sens)
Bonk (C)
White (C)
Ray (LW - conditioning stint)

An abrasive/scoring LW would still be appreciated.
An extra centre could also help.

regehr 02-18-2004 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierrehedinrocks
rachnuk for bondra

this makes sense.

eazye 02-18-2004 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakes

What do you mean "Potential" Top 4 defenceman? Rachunek plays with Redden and logs a ton of icetime. He has the "potential" to be a good PP guy and the "potential" to be a Top 2 defenceman on other teams.....Potentially speaking of course.

Uther 02-18-2004 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazye
With Ottawa's depth at defence and with a lack of scoring on Left wing, what could Ottawa get for Rachunek? Rachunek has been a healthy scratch the last 2 games and Pothier has looked good in his place. With Volchenkov set to return next month, Ottawa will have 9 defenceman including Rachunek. Just wondering what's out there?

Top 4 defencemen aren't healthy scratches two games in a row...depth defencemen are. Unless of course you think Ottawa has 9 "top four" defencemen.

Dr.Sens(e) 02-18-2004 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uther
Top 4 defencemen aren't healthy scratches two games in a row...depth defencemen are. Unless of course you think Ottawa has 9 "top four" defencemen.

Rachunek is indeed a top four defenceman in Ottawa, of that there is no question. The fact Martin benched him for a game or two as a reminder of some basics (Rachunek is still young), is not a shock. But Rachunek plays more than 20 minutes most nights. That's what top 4 d-men do. The same thing happened with Chris Phillips last season (scratched for a game).

If Rachunek can't get a top line LWer that is more than a rent-a-player, then the Sens will have no interest in moving him. He's still a great all-around d-man with the 40-50 point potential with a solid two-way game.

LALALALALALAFONTAINE 02-18-2004 09:08 AM

How's this blockbuster:

Buffalo gets:
Rachunek (in doghouse)
Volchenkov (injured)
Prusek (backup)
Varada (injured)

Ottawa gets:
McKee (playoff experience, Muckler draftee, physical)
Biron (Muckler draftee, was mentioned as rumored to Sens at CBS Sportsline)
Kotalik (adds big LW who can score)
Brown (playoff experience, Muckler draftee, helps with Sens PK)

Why Buffalo would do it even though we're in the hunt for a playoff spot: McKee has been injured, Biron and Noronen are not too different, Kotalik would be missed. Brown's role has been reduced, and Ruff gets the PK to work with anyone anyway.

Why Ottawa would do it? They don't give up much in terms of assets that will contribute to this Stanley Cup run. They get lots of experience and Muckler gets re-united with a bunch of ex-players.

ZombieMatt 02-18-2004 09:25 AM

Maybe I'm way off base, but to me it looks like buffalo is giving up an awful lot. Maybe these guys don't have tons of trade value, but to a team, I think that the package they give away is pretty attractive. A goalie definitely capable of being a 1A/1B goalie, a defenceman in Mckee I think can play 25 minutes a game effectively....Kotalik, a winger better than anyone that they give up, and then Brown, who is a better version of Varada in my opinion.

Biron > Prusek
Bronw > Varada
McKee = Volchenkov
Kotalik = Rachunek

That's just how I see it....but yeah, if I was Ottawa, I would do that deal in a second.

Sting 02-18-2004 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountie
Maybe I'm way off base, but to me it looks like buffalo is giving up an awful lot. Maybe these guys don't have tons of trade value, but to a team, I think that the package they give away is pretty attractive. A goalie definitely capable of being a 1A/1B goalie, a defenceman in Mckee I think can play 25 minutes a game effectively....Kotalik, a winger better than anyone that they give up, and then Brown, who is a better version of Varada in my opinion.

Biron > Prusek
Bronw > Varada
McKee = Volchenkov
Kotalik = Rachunek

That's just how I see it....but yeah, if I was Ottawa, I would do that deal in a second.

Got a few things wrong, but that's ok. :)

Biron > Prusek
Bronw < Varada
McKee = Volchenkov (more potential)
Kotalik < Rachunek

Rachunek is without a doubt a top 4 defenseman, with great offensive abilities and he's great at breaking up plays. Martin and him don't seem to have a great relationship for some reason, possibly the work ethic.

Higgy4 02-18-2004 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakes

Yeah, I wouldnt call Rachunek a bonafide top 4 defensman.

TehDoak 02-18-2004 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazye

a

Satan can play left wing.....Satan for Rachunek? Though, i guess with the Bondra aquisition.....it probably won't happen.

Darth Milbury 02-18-2004 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sting004
Got a few things wrong, but that's ok. :)

Biron > Prusek
Bronw < Varada
McKee = Volchenkov (more potential)
Kotalik < Rachunek

Rachunek is without a doubt a top 4 defenseman, with great offensive abilities and he's great at breaking up plays. Martin and him don't seem to have a great relationship for some reason, possibly the work ethic.

I'm one of the biggest Mckee fans on the board but I'd definitely take Volchenkov before Mckee. Mckee has been banged up a lot lately, and Volchenkov has shown the sort innate ability for defensive reads that you just can't teach a player.

On the other hand, I think SENS fans are being a bit unrealistic if they think they can get a true number 1 LW for Rachunek. Rachunek > Kotalik, however.

Even if the SENS stand pat, I still think they'll win the cup, but that is another issue.

sensfan18 02-18-2004 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calorissi
I don't agree that Ottawa is happy with their LW.
The Schatslivy trade was to make room on the LW and to get more toughness and leadership on the team.

Your 1/2 right, the deal was to get more toughness and a good 5-6 d'man that Muck has been looking for for a while. However the reason Softlivy was moved was because Langfeld earned his roster spot showing he can play and be quite effective nightly and did not deserve to go back to bingo.

billsandsabres 02-18-2004 05:48 PM

rachunek has suffered a number of injuries, which i think diminishes his value
i'd say rachunek = kotalik

pantherhockey 02-18-2004 06:03 PM

How about Rachunek for Kristan Huselius?
Play him with Alfie, the 2 swedes could work some magic together

officeglen 02-18-2004 06:07 PM

This is nice fantasy thread, and please continue at your leisure. However it should be noted that Mucks will trade picks and prospects only for playoff vets at this time.

sensfan18 02-18-2004 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by officeglen
This is nice fantasy thread, and please continue at your leisure. However it should be noted that Mucks will trade picks and prospects only for playoff vets at this time.

Exactly, Rachunek is going nowhere. For what he makes and what he gives you, you are not going to get anything back that equals him in value.

Huselius is a player that ottawa would have absolutely no need for.

benji 02-18-2004 06:27 PM

Rachunek is not a #4 defenseman. he's 5 or 6

Kotalik definitely has more value than Rachunek, alot more in my opinion. He's a young player, sniper-type, not afraid of the physical play. I'd take him anyday over Rachunek.

sensfan18 02-18-2004 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benji_ch

Kotalik definitely has more value than Rachunek, alot more in my opinion. He's a young player, sniper-type, not afraid of the physical play. I'd take him anyday over Rachunek.

Are you kidding? Do you ever watch the guy play. While I won't comment on whether or not I'd take him over Kotalik, Rachunek is one of the best #4 d'men in the league. I find it funny that your last 2 posts have been slams towards the senators, which is fine if they had any merit to them.

YellHockey* 02-18-2004 06:46 PM

Quote:

You're half right. Rachunek is not a #4, he's a #3 defenseman.

He was Ottawa's #3 defenceman on the President's Trophy winning club from last year.

If Kotalik is so good and so much more valuable then Rachunek then why does Rachunek have more career points then the older Kotalik?

Darth Milbury 02-18-2004 07:16 PM

Quote:

I completely disagree.

Rachunek can definitely play in the top four on most teams in the league.

Kotalik is a "sniper type" who has never had more than 35 points in the NHL (although I though his 35 point season was reasonably impressive, under the circumstances).