HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Which Kind of Skates? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=532781)

PEI Hockey 07-04-2008 08:44 PM

Which Kind of Skates?
 
I am a 16 year old referee and I currently wear Mission L4 skates (pretty cheap). I do not play so my skates are strictly for reffing.

I am looking to buy a new pair of skates but I am not sure what the best kind would be. Right now I have it narrowed down to Grafs or Reeboks. What would you guys recommend? Also, what kind of Grafs would be best suited, or what is the main difference between 5 and 9K Reeboks? I wear a size 9-10 with a E-EE width.

We'reGonnaWin* 07-04-2008 10:31 PM

Reeboks and Grafs will fit VERY differently than your Missions. If the L4 feels like the right fit for you, why not stick with Missions but just upgrade to higher-end Missions so that you're getting a stiffer skate?

The most significant difference between the 5K and 9K RBKs is the stiffness of the skates.

PEI Hockey 07-04-2008 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delorme (Post 14746350)
Reeboks and Grafs will fit VERY differently than your Missions. If the L4 feels like the right fit for you, why not stick with Missions but just upgrade to higher-end Missions so that you're getting a stiffer skate?

The most significant difference between the 5K and 9K RBKs is the stiffness of the skates.

Right now, the Missions are not feeling overly great on the foot. My foot arch is high, but that may only be fixable through custom skates. I am not really looking for the same fit, but for an overall better skate. Are there other models of skates that may be good to take a look at other than Grafs or Reeboks?

We'reGonnaWin* 07-05-2008 12:25 AM

Best advice is to go to a store and try on different brands since each brand really fits different (wide heel, narrow heels, wide forefoot, narrow....). Other than the arches, do the Missions fit alright? The arch issue can be easily remedied by buying SuperFeet.

There's Easton, Graf, Kor, Bauer, RBK, Mission, CCM. Try them all on.

PEI Hockey 07-05-2008 12:52 AM

The two main problems with the Missions are that the arch isn't high enough and the top of my foot is extremely wide in terms of my big toe and the joint at the base of the toes. It sticks out and rubs the edge of the skate making me very uncomfortable.

I will have to check out a variety and see if any have extra wide toe caps or anything similar.

Heat McManus 07-05-2008 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delorme (Post 14747679)
Best advice is to go to a store and try on different brands since each brand really fits different (wide heel, narrow heels, wide forefoot, narrow....). Other than the arches, do the Missions fit alright? The arch issue can be easily remedied by buying SuperFeet.

There's Easton, Graf, Kor, Bauer, RBK, Mission, CCM. Try them all on.

Best advice you will ever get.

GOONSQUAD 07-05-2008 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos (Post 14748700)
Best advice you will ever get.

I'll second that motion.. can't beat a Skate Fitting especially if you drop $400 on a pair of skates...

Crosbyfan 07-05-2008 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PEI Hockey (Post 14746942)
Right now, the Missions are not feeling overly great on the foot. My foot arch is high, but that may only be fixable through custom skates. I am not really looking for the same fit, but for an overall better skate. Are there other models of skates that may be good to take a look at other than Grafs or Reeboks?

I have heard really good things about Grafs for high arches. You have to get the right pair though

vexXed 07-07-2008 01:14 AM

The 609, 709 and Ultra G70 models were designed for players with high arches and insteps. I skate with the 709's now as I have that kind of foot shape. Make sure you try them on first though as the heel sizes are different. A 705 or Ultra G5 won't be as deep a boot, but is still deeper than the 703 or Ultra G3.

Maxpac 07-13-2008 06:02 PM

best skates right now (price vs quality) are either the new reebok 5k,easton's stealth s11 or nikebauer one 70's, last year i had a 9k pair and i just bought 08 version 5k pair and i think that they are better, and very cheap at 300$ compared to 800$ for the 9k's

deanosaur 07-13-2008 06:05 PM

Just go to the damn store, stop asking for what kind of skates to get.
You may here oh Skate A has great durability or Skate B is cheap and much better quality, neither of those matter if your foot doesn't fit in them properly.

Gunnar Stahl 30 07-13-2008 06:11 PM

i have a pair of graf goalie skates and i love them. they werent molded to my foot but the conform to it after a while. i love grafs. imo they make the best skates

We'reGonnaWin* 07-13-2008 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxpac (Post 14860139)
best skates right now (price vs quality) are either the new reebok 5k,easton's stealth s11 or nikebauer one 70's, last year i had a 9k pair and i just bought 08 version 5k pair and i think that they are better, and very cheap at 300$ compared to 800$ for the 9k's

So, you're basically saying buy skates that are second from top of the lines?

Great advice, tips.

stick9 07-14-2008 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PEI Hockey (Post 14747950)
The two main problems with the Missions are that the arch isn't high enough and the top of my foot is extremely wide in terms of my big toe and the joint at the base of the toes. It sticks out and rubs the edge of the skate making me very uncomfortable.

I will have to check out a variety and see if any have extra wide toe caps or anything similar.

Grafs have a very small toe box height wise. Pay attention to that when you try them on.

As Delorme stated, go try them all on and see what fits the best. It's really the only way you'll be comfortable and happy.

AngryBoss 07-14-2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PEI Hockey (Post 14747950)
The two main problems with the Missions are that the arch isn't high enough and the top of my foot is extremely wide in terms of my big toe and the joint at the base of the toes. It sticks out and rubs the edge of the skate making me very uncomfortable.

I will have to check out a variety and see if any have extra wide toe caps or anything similar.

It sounds like you and the same foot as I do - high arches, wide foot.

I bought a pair of Graf's and I had to have them customized to great lengths to fit my foot.
They had to stretch them out quite a bit as well as modify the Graf insoles to make sure the foot fit right.

Up till now, I've been skating in CCM's but I always had to get them bigger to accommodate my arch and width.

Chances are you'll have to spend between $350-450 to get skates that fit properly.

Maxpac 07-14-2008 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delorme (Post 14860819)
So, you're basically saying buy skates that are second from top of the lines?

Great advice, tips.

what i'm trying to say is that in the end except for the name the difference of price isin't worth the skates, the only thing that the dollars are worth are custom skates

We'reGonnaWin* 07-14-2008 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxpac (Post 14874857)
what i'm trying to say is that in the end except for the name the difference of price isin't worth the skates, the only thing that the dollars are worth are custom skates

Tell that to a 170 lb midget player that breaks down the 5K in just a few months of hockey. Depending on how often you skate and your level of skating, going up a price point is actually worth it.

stick9 07-15-2008 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delorme (Post 14875423)
Tell that to a 170 lb midget player that breaks down the 5K in just a few months of hockey. Depending on how often you skate and your level of skating, going up a price point is actually worth it.

I agree. It's also not a bad idea when you are someone who's feet won't be getting any bigger.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.