HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Bernier (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=532952)

coolbean04 07-05-2008 10:59 AM

Bernier
 
Why didn't we go after him? Vancouver gave up so little to get him and he is a high reward type of guy. I really think he would've been PERFECT playing with Drury. I can't believe we didn't take a chance on a 23 year old like him.

MidnightRanger 07-05-2008 11:00 AM

Hey we gave up Tyutin for Nikolai Zherdev! You can't rob everyone!

MidnightRanger 07-05-2008 11:01 AM

Besides, Buffalo's GM is a real ******* when it comes to the NYR. He would never give us Bernier for just a 2nd and a 3rd. No f-ing way in hell when it freezes over.

coolbean04 07-05-2008 11:05 AM

But I'm sure they'd probably do Prucha and a 2nd for him (since I gotta believe prucha has more value than a 3rd round pick).

I wouldn't want to give up Prucha but him making 1M+ makes it tough since we're already against the cap.

Plus a future of Zherdev, Bernier, Cherry, Dawes going with Gomez and Drury fills out our top 6. We'd have Dubinsky, Cally, and Korpedo who easily round up the 3rd line.

E-Train 07-05-2008 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadwayStorm (Post 14750959)
Besides, Buffalo's GM is a real ******* when it comes to the NYR. He would never give us Bernier for just a 2nd and a 3rd. No f-ing way in hell when it freezes over.

Exactly. Rangers would have to pay a higher price with Buffalo.

GAGLine 07-05-2008 11:08 AM

We've got several quality prospects of our own. Where are they gonna play if we keep trading for other team's young guns? Should we trade away Animisov, Chere and Korp?

Just because it would have been relatively cheap to get Bernier (assuming we could have gotten the same deal) doesn't mean we should have.

God 07-05-2008 11:12 AM

Um, because Sather isn't stupid enough to add another inconsistent forward to the team? Naslund's a big question mark. Zherdev was absolutely terrific last season, but then again, the season before wasn't too hot either. And the season before that was pretty good. Which Zherdev will you see? No one knows *eerie music*

coolbean04 07-05-2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAGLine (Post 14751028)
We've got several quality prospects of our own. Where are they gonna play if we keep trading for other team's young guns? Should we trade away Animisov, Chere and Korp?

Just because it would have been relatively cheap to get Bernier (assuming we could have gotten the same deal) doesn't mean we should have.

What does Bernier have to do with any of those players? Anisimov is a C so Dubinsky, Gomez, and Drury are blocking him not Bernier. Chere can be on the 1st line with Zherdev while Bernier can be on the 2nd line. So he's not blocking Chere. Bernier >>>>>> Korp, I think Korp is a solid 3rd line winger.

coolbean04 07-05-2008 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cao (Post 14751067)
Um, because Sather isn't stupid enough to add another inconsistent forward to the team? Naslund's a big question mark. Zherdev was absolutely terrific last season, but then again, the season before wasn't too hot either. And the season before that was pretty good. Which Zherdev will you see? No one knows *eerie music*

You call Bernier inconsistent but yet he scores 15+ goals a year getting around 13 min. of ice time a game. That doesn't seem too inconsistent with me. If he got 2nd line minutes with Drury (which I think is a perfect match). I can easily see him being a 25-30 goal scorer.

Yea we have too many 23 year old 25-30 goal scorers on our team that we couldn't use him.

I also forgot to mention that we sure couldn't use a 6-2 forward at 225 pounds. Yep, our forwards are all gigantic.

darrenturcotte#8 07-05-2008 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolbean04 (Post 14751088)
What does Bernier have to do with any of those players? Anisimov is a C so Dubinsky, Gomez, and Drury are blocking him not Bernier. Chere can be on the 1st line with Zherdev while Bernier can be on the 2nd line. So he's not blocking Chere. Bernier >>>>>> Korp, I think Korp is a solid 3rd line winger.

Can Cherry play one shift in the NHL before he's written in pen to the 1st line? Anyone remember Lundmark and Brendl?

coolbean04 07-05-2008 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 (Post 14751149)
Can Cherry play one shift in the NHL before he's written in pen to the 1st line? Anyone remember Lundmark and Brendl?

Haha why are u talking about my post, I'm just SHOWING that there's room for Bernier to play. I'm NOT THE ONE that was saying that Bernier would be blocking kids from playing. You got the wrong post buddy.

Fictional Realism 07-05-2008 11:19 AM

Bernier's the type of guy you don't want to have come back and bite you in the butt. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with getting him out of Conference, and not potentially helping a playoff rival out.

Trxjw 07-05-2008 11:25 AM

I'm sure Slats made a call. However, I don't think Buffalo is too high on us after Drury bounced to come play for the Rangers.

Reacher Gilt 07-05-2008 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolbean04 (Post 14750998)
But I'm sure they'd probably do Prucha and a 2nd for him (since I gotta believe prucha has more value than a 3rd round pick).

I wouldn't want to give up Prucha but him making 1M+ makes it tough since we're already against the cap.

So you get rid of Prucha and his 1,6 and then there comes this offer sheet from Vancouver for 2+ :naughty:
You match and end up with even less cap space, of course Bernier is worth it.
He will score 3 goals in his first game, everyone will love him, and ok then you'll never see him again :sarcasm:

Moskau 07-05-2008 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trxjw (Post 14751237)
I'm sure Slats made a call. However, I don't think Buffalo is too high on us after Drury bounced to come play for the Rangers.

Doubtful and doubtful.

Bernier wasn't being shopped. Vancouver was going to throw an offer sheet at him and a deal was arranged. Simple as that.

No GMs missed out on a player that was shopped. Teams with cap space just missed out on a player they could have gotten for a 2nd rounder.

Trxjw 07-05-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moskau (Post 14751272)
Doubtful and doubtful.

Bernier wasn't being shopped. Vancouver was going to throw an offer sheet at him and a deal was arranged. Simple as that.

No GMs missed out on a player that was shopped. Teams with cap space just missed out on a player they could have gotten for a 2nd rounder.

It's doubtful that Sather made a call about Bernier? For a team thats lacking size upfront, you think he wouldn't inquire about a kid like that? Sure, maybe Buffalo said he wasn't being shopped, but hard to believe he didn't even ask about him.

The Drury thing I'll give you, but I don't buy that he completely ignored the fact that Bernier was an RFA.

stokes84 07-05-2008 11:33 AM

People are mistaken when they are high on Bernier. The kid is slow as molasses. The sabres had buyers remorse within a week of trading for him.

coolbean04 07-05-2008 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stokes84 (Post 14751344)
People are mistaken when they are high on Bernier. The kid is slow as molasses. The sabres had buyers remorse within a week of trading for him.

He can be slow all he wants, just place him in front of the net and things are gravy. I just don't see us having many options of people playing the net. That's one element that's crucial on the PP let alone ES.

GAGLine 07-05-2008 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolbean04 (Post 14751088)
What does Bernier have to do with any of those players? Anisimov is a C so Dubinsky, Gomez, and Drury are blocking him not Bernier. Chere can be on the 1st line with Zherdev while Bernier can be on the 2nd line. So he's not blocking Chere. Bernier >>>>>> Korp, I think Korp is a solid 3rd line winger.

When Anisimov is ready, Drury will move to wing. If Bernier is on the other side then we've got no room for anyone else, even once Naslund is gone. Zherdev, Bernier, Dawes and Drury would occupy the top 4 wings, leaving 2 spots for players like Byers, Korp, Moore, Grachev, Stepan, Callahan, Prucha and Cherepanov in the coming years.

We are gonna have a log jam of players as it is. We don't need to keep adding more young guys that are going to block our prospects. And you say Bernier is better than Korp. Maybe he is. But if he's all that good, why is he on his 3rd team in less than a year?

Again I say, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. We have more than enough young talent. We don't need Bernier.

Plato 07-05-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stokes84 (Post 14751344)
People are mistaken when they are high on Bernier. The kid is slow as molasses. The sabres had buyers remorse within a week of trading for him.

Every player has his strengths and weaknesses. Just because he doesn't have blazing speed doesn't mean he's not talented.

RoyBoyCoy 07-05-2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadwayStorm (Post 14750943)
Hey we gave up Tyutin for Nikolai Zherdev! You can't rob everyone!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH:handclap::D:handclap::D

nicely put

coolbean04 07-05-2008 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAGLine (Post 14751395)
When Anisimov is ready, Drury will move to wing. If Bernier is on the other side then we've got no room for anyone else, even once Naslund is gone. Zherdev, Bernier, Dawes and Drury would occupy the top 4 wings, leaving 2 spots for players like Byers, Korp, Moore, Grachev, Stepan, Callahan, Prucha and Cherepanov in the coming years.

We are gonna have a log jam of players as it is. We don't need to keep adding more young guys that are going to block our prospects. And you say Bernier is better than Korp. Maybe he is. But if he's all that good, why is he on his 3rd team in less than a year?

Again I say, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. We have more than enough young talent. We don't need Bernier.

That's a great problem to have. You keep mentioning WHEN as in the future. If in the future that does happen and Bernier is playing solid, you have some options. You can either keep him or possibly trade him for a MUCH MORE lucrative trade.

There's a lot of things that can happen. For example, maybe Zherdev has a solid year and wants 6M+ and we don't have the money to pay him and lose him and etc. The point is, RIGHT NOW there's a solid spot for Bernier and we should've gotten him.

Finkle is Einhorn 07-05-2008 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stokes84 (Post 14751344)
People are mistaken when they are high on Bernier. The kid is slow as molasses. The sabres had buyers remorse within a week of trading for him.

The Sedins aren't too fleet of foot, and they're PPG players. And guess where Bernier is going to line up?

And I don't take too much of what Sabres fans have to say to heart in this matter. How do you evaluate a player properly after 17 games? Short answer: you don't.

Beacon 07-05-2008 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolbean04 (Post 14750998)
But I'm sure they'd probably do Prucha and a 2nd for him (since I gotta believe prucha has more value than a 3rd round pick).

I wouldn't want to give up Prucha but him making 1M+ makes it tough since we're already against the cap.

Plus a future of Zherdev, Bernier, Cherry, Dawes going with Gomez and Drury fills out our top 6. We'd have Dubinsky, Cally, and Korpedo who easily round up the 3rd line.

Sather may have learned about this trade after it happened. If I could, I would give up Prucha and #2 as well as #3, meaning that BS would get Prucha in addition to what they got from Van.

Bernier is a big banging winger who scores about half a point per game. That's not bad at all for a second liner.

And where will our own youngsters play in the future? If they are good enough, we'll find the space. We can always do a 2-for-1 trade.

coolbean04 07-05-2008 01:00 PM

I don't know why but I'm really pissed off that we didn't get him. Not too many times I get like this.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.