HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   If JR retires (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=53298)

Cuiff 02-18-2004 10:50 AM

If JR retires

I donít expect JR to retire but if he does, I will be terribly disappointed in him. I understand he has to be careful about his future and his health but if he retired this year, it would be like he quit on his teammates just before the playoff. Anyone agree with me or am I being too harsh.

sinisalo 02-18-2004 11:02 AM

He has to worry about his health and life after hockey. The Flyers and winning a SC are not the most important things in life. He needs to do what is right for himself and nothing else.

swflyers8* 02-18-2004 11:21 AM

As a fan, I wouldn't be mad at JR. 9 concussions and two broken jaws. Injuries are a part of the game (a big part these days) but the guy wants to have a life after hockey and so do I.
If this team would just play smart, we wouldn't need him so much.

I wouldn't see it as quitting on his teammates. Everyone knows that JR plays 110% every game. He is no good to anyone else at anything else but that. He wouldn't be the same player.
It's not fair to ask this man to risk his health just for a game.
Life is more important than that.

Fire Bobby Clarke 02-18-2004 11:22 AM

At this point in his life he has done allot for US Hockey and I wouldn't be too upset...although the only thing left to accomplish for him is a Stanley Cup ring...Regardless if he chooses to retire he definetly will be involved in the Hockey world in some capacity.

donelikedinner 02-18-2004 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli
I donít expect JR to retire but if he does, I will be terribly disappointed in him. I understand he has to be careful about his future and his health but if he retired this year, it would be like he quit on his teammates just before the playoff. Anyone agree with me or am I being too harsh.

that's a bit harsh since he has valid medical reasons for retiring. would you dump on him if he had cancer? would you be happy if he came back and was turned into a vegetable because he was encouraged to play through another concussion? after all JR has done for hockey, the game, fans and the nhl owe him, not the other way around.

Toonces 02-18-2004 11:51 AM

It's a grade three concussion correct? I'd rather him retire then suffer brain damage.

http://www.msu.edu/user/stracha4/psltemp.html

Grade III concussions are characterized by loss of consciousness greater than 5 minutes.

Grade III concussions should be treated like a suspected cervical spine fracture, immobilizing the head and neck and stabilizing the airway. A CT scan, MRI, and neurological observations are appropriate.

The return to play guidelines following an initial grade III concussion is suspension of play for 1 month. After a second grade III concussion the athlete should terminate his season, and should consider ending participation in contact sports after the third grade III concussion.

jplush76 02-18-2004 01:15 PM

too harsh on JR? are you kidding? do you want the guy to wind with a brain full of mush? I would respect his decision either way. I'd HATE to see him go but he does have to think about his next 50 years of life.

tytech 02-18-2004 01:20 PM

I doubt it was a grade three concussion. I've seen people get knocked out in this game and there face hits the ice. He reacted, put his hand infront of his face and hit the ice with caution. You have to admit that JR loves attention. I "believe" that he lay motionless on the ice for that long to make it more dramatic. Don't shoot me for saying that but all eyes were on him and he got a rise out of that. He's a warrior though and believes Philly might win a cup soon. He'll be back, mark my words. He played through a concussion last playoffs when Tucker hit him. With adequate time off he'll be fine. He is not even pondering retirement is simply thinking of ways to get camera time.

Cuiff 02-18-2004 01:21 PM

Part of me understands this but another part of me wants him to at least finish out the season. I guess you all are right!?!

I may think JR is overrated, but man is this team in trouble if he retires. Without JR this team has no offensive centers.

DaMick 02-20-2004 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli

The guy shatters his jaw and gets his 9th concussion.....and you say youd be "terribly disappointed in him?"

Cmon...this isnt Allison or Brett Lindros here..

if you followed JR hes a real NHL old school player
So if he has to retire...so be it
just give JR :bow: the respect he deserves....the guy has earned it