HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Eklund Minny, Habs, Rangers interested in P.O'Sullivan (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=533297)

HamiltonOHL 07-06-2008 04:03 PM

Minny, Habs, Rangers interested in P.O'Sullivan

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16120

A source this morning callled me and told me to get up on the site quickly that Patrick O'Sullivan, who curiously did not file for arbitration and is a coveted RFA, is drawing some big time interest from at least two teams...The Rangers and Canadiens.

Since I posted this up here this morning I have received further confirmation that the Minnesota Wild also have interest in O'Sullivan who was originally traded to the Wild for Demitra. from Eklund

beakermania edit: added link and title change

Goallum 07-06-2008 04:05 PM

Oh, that's right, because he curiously didn't file for arbitration...

Jaysfanatic* 07-06-2008 04:06 PM

Well then they never should have traded him :sarcasm:

Ziggy Stardust 07-06-2008 04:08 PM

Further ******** being spewed by Eklund. I trust Ekman before Eklund.

sweatypickle 07-06-2008 04:08 PM

lol he's going nowhere...

worstfaceoffmanever 07-06-2008 04:11 PM

Oh, the irony...

Jimmy McNulty 07-06-2008 04:13 PM

The Wild don't have the draft picks to make it happen anyway.

:help:

Beakermania* 07-06-2008 04:23 PM

The Eklund post also states Montreal and New York as possible destinations... I'll edit the original to reflect that.

Ziggy Stardust 07-06-2008 04:35 PM

Someone better inform Eklund that Sully is not eligible to file for arbitration. Or better yet, not.

Osprey 07-06-2008 05:11 PM

I love when fans defensively over-react to rumors about their players, insisting that they're BS and that the players are "going nowhere." There were quite a few Kings fans saying that about Visnovsky and, well, oops. As if it's really hard to believe that O'Sullivan is drawing interest, though; of course he is. Doubting that is just ignorant. O'Sullivan will probably stay in LA, but you'd better believe that other teams will make it harder on Lombardi.

Youngblood93 07-06-2008 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osprey (Post 14765653)
I love when fans defensively over-react to rumors about their players, insisting that they're BS and that the players are "going nowhere." There were quite a few Kings fans saying that about Visnovsky and, well, oops. As if it's really hard to believe that O'Sullivan is drawing interest, though; of course he is. Doubting that is just ignorant. O'Sullivan will probably stay in LA, but you'd better believe that other teams will make it harder on Lombardi.

:handclap:

Not to mention that if a team has it's own RFA signed to an offer sheet they can match it with in a week. This is no big deal King fans.

wabwat 07-06-2008 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osprey (Post 14765653)

how are they going to make it harder on him, outside of tendering Patrick an unmatchable (and thereby ill-advised) offer sheet?

and coming from someone who wasn't saying that about Visnovsky, i strongly doubt that O'Sullivan will be going anywhere.

Martyros 07-06-2008 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyFan850 (Post 14764951)

Since I posted this up here this morning I have received further confirmation that the Minnesota Wild also have interest in O'Sullivan who was originally traded to the Wild for Demitra. from Eklund

so if he was traded to the WILD .......how could they NOT have interest in signing him? :sarcasm:

bullocks 07-06-2008 05:28 PM

Hossa to Edmonton (e4)

WeThreeKings 07-06-2008 05:30 PM

So that must mean Minny, Habs and the Rangers are the only ones not inquiring about P. O'Sullivan.

C-Saku Koivu MTL 07-06-2008 05:31 PM

Outside from possibly getting a great offer for O'Sullivan is there any reason the Kings would trade him??

I think it would be quite stupid and moronic to think they would trade him after trading Cammy.

Then again, it's Eklund....

Street Hawk 07-06-2008 05:44 PM

No Arbitration Rights

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyFan850 (Post 14764951)

A source this morning callled me and told me to get up on the site quickly that Patrick O'Sullivan, who curiously did not file for arbitration and is a coveted RFA, is drawing some big time interest from at least two teams...The Rangers and Canadiens.

beakermania edit: added link and title change

Patrick O'Sullivan does not have any arbitration rights.

As for these other teams, they may want O'Sullivan, but they also have to consider that LA has tonnes of cap room available, so they aren't hindered by the cap in this case. So, any offer has to be really high for LA to pass on the offersheet. LA just set themselves up for the long term future on their blueline with their selections of Doughty, Teubert, and Voininov this past draft, not to mention Hickey last year and the deal for Johnson. So, LA needs to keep their young forwards. Did that with Brown, Frolov still has I believe 2 years left on his deal, Kopitar is 1 year away from RFA. Really can't afford to let O'Sullivan leave since they moved Cammy this summer.

Maxpac 07-06-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullocks (Post 14765827)
Hossa to Edmonton (e4)

what's your point? it was a fact that Hossa refused a really good, long term contract that Lowe had offered him

Osprey 07-06-2008 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wabwat (Post 14765752)
how are they going to make it harder on him, outside of tendering Patrick an unmatchable (and thereby ill-advised) offer sheet?

and coming from someone who wasn't saying that about Visnovsky, i strongly doubt that O'Sullivan will be going anywhere.

I mean that they'll make it harder on Lombardi by driving up the cost to sign O'Sullivan. Even if Patrick doesn't sign an offer sheet, he'll still likely up the amount that he's looking for. If there weren't any competition for his services, Lombardi would be much more able to set his worth; instead, competition largely sets that now (at least that's the direction that things are headed with these offer sheets).

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-Saku Koivu MTL (Post 14765863)
Outside from possibly getting a great offer for O'Sullivan is there any reason the Kings would trade him??

The "interest" being referred to is interest in signing him (to an offer sheet). You're right that the Kings don't have much interest at all in trading him (as I doubt that Burke had with Penner last Summer).

24morecupsthanyou* 07-06-2008 06:47 PM

so based on what eklund has stated, we can confirm that the kings are going to lock up Patty O for a 6 or 7 year deal. Good deal for the Kings, opinions?

Psycho Papa Joe 07-06-2008 06:53 PM

Don't understand why Montreal would be interested in another small offensive center. Grabovski was dealt because he was a small offensive center who wouldn't make it on the Habs because the Habs already had too many small offensive centers.

Guillemin 07-06-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxpac (Post 14766156)
what's your point? it was a fact that Hossa refused a really good, long term contract that Lowe had offered him

Yep. A fact that Ek got from every other insider in the league. Third hand at best.

It's amazing how when traffic starts slowing down, Ek's "insiders" start talking about potential deals with the Leafs, Habs, and/or Rangers involved.

Burlington Bomb 26 07-06-2008 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-Saku Koivu MTL (Post 14765863)

I think it would be quite stupid and moronic to think they would trade him after trading Cammy.

Then again, it's Eklund....

saku your under-estimating Eklund's knowledge. He knew every signing on July 1st.....after it was on TSN.

Sparepart 07-06-2008 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe (Post 14766686)
Don't understand why Montreal would be interested in another small offensive center. Grabovski was dealt because he was a small offensive center who wouldn't make it on the Habs because the Habs already had too many small offensive centers.

Well, you cant compare Grabovski and O'Sullivan right now. O'Sullivan is an established NHL player who had 53 points with the Kings last season, Grabovski (while he has tons of skill) hasnt not made his mark in the NHL yet. But I agree that Montreal has no reason to be interested in O'Sullivan, Montreal needs a big veteran centre who plays a strong 2-way game, not a young small offensive minded centre.

I suppose if the price is right he would be a good addition to the habs, but it have to be a very low price. But if I'm the habs right now I'm not willing to give up valuable assets to acquire a player they do not need.

Osprey 07-06-2008 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24morecupsthanyou (Post 14766616)
so based on what eklund has stated, we can confirm that the kings are going to lock up Patty O for a 6 or 7 year deal. Good deal for the Kings, opinions?

I don't see that happening for a number of reasons:
1) He's proven himself for only one season so far. Generally, you need a few more seasons in the league before such a long term deal makes sense for both sides. The money that each would be looking for in such a deal would be on completely different pages.
2) His ceiling is pretty high and it makes little sense for him to lock himself into a long-term deal when he might be worth $5M in 3-4 years.
3) I'm not aware of any wife and kid that would, like in Brown's case, encourage him to sacrifice money for long-term security and stability.

I think that we'll see O'Sullivan sign a one or two-year deal. That's what Brown did a few years ago, and he went on to establish himself and prove himself to the organization. I can then see O'Sullivan signing a long-term deal when that deal is up. On the other hand, I can also see him just signing one and two-year deals one after another because of continued disagreement with management over money, ala Cammalleri. Hopefully, we won't have to watch that again and things will work out with O'Sullivan more like they did with Brown and less like they did with Cammalleri.

BTW, Sparepart, he's offensive-minded, yes, but he also really worked on his defensive game this last season and was one of the more important players on the team's PK. He's developing into a good two-way player. I think that that's a lot of the reason why teams have this level of interest in him.