HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Demitra (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=533517)

echlfreak 07-07-2008 09:47 AM

Demitra
 
Don't know if it is even worth typing this but, Eklund is reporting that Demitra could sign today likely with the Canucks, but other possible destinations are Nashville among others. Again it would be a nice to fit to our top 6 and our struggling PP, it would fit in our salary cap, but it still seems like Hornqvist is the real deal...so likely a pass.

quartermaster29 07-07-2008 10:02 AM

Someone else said it earlier (on the other boards maybe?): I thank Eck for all his "pro-Nashville" comments in the media here and all, but I wish he'd leave us alone for all the rumors. I think we've been in the running for every FA this summer.

echlfreak 07-07-2008 10:15 AM

Players that Eklund had destined for Nashville:

Demitra-nice fit to top 6, but probably a pass
Cheechoo-would have been a perfect trade for Zidlicky
Marleau- Never made sense financially
Nagy-Still possible, but a soft player and a def liability
Williams- would be a great fit on the wing and can plat the point on the PP like in Chicago
Huesilius- signed with Columbus, don't think DP even put in a bid, that we heard of anyway
Jagr- Wow that was not even close, off to Russia

Can't wait to see who he has destined next. I will admit Hockeybuzz at least gives you something to read and stay connected, but if you are a Pred fan it bites this summer. I understand that the new ownership has helped keep the team in Nashville and helped to keep our young guys here. But, wouldn't it be nice if they showed there desire to WIN by picking up a stud.

Seth Lake 07-07-2008 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echlfreak (Post 14773600)
Can't wait to see who he has destined next. I will admit Hockeybuzz at least gives you something to read and stay connected, but if you are a Pred fan it bites this summer. I understand that the new ownership has helped keep the team in Nashville and helped to keep our young guys here. But, wouldn't it be nice if they showed there desire to WIN by picking up a stud.

Please say that you realize that the game of hockey is won on the ice over the long course of the season and not in June when we are looking at names on a computer screen or sheets of paper???

This organization is heading in the right direction, they have themselves positioned to be competing for a playoff berth this season (certainly cannot say that we are at the bottom of the conference...), and are working hard to rebuild the depth at all positions that we lost last summer during the ownership fiasco that caused us to use Bonk, among others, in a scoring line role when they were brought in to be checkers.

We still have a few moves to be made before the season begins, but you must be patient, as Poile is, and wait for the right moves to be made. We are not going to break our budget because that would be stupid for both the short and long term. We are not going to sign a veteran to a long-term deal at a position that will block a prospect we expect to be ready either, as that too would be a bad decision.

We will wait for the right pieces to come along to fill our present needs and hopefully also further our long-term goals. Bringing in Demitra would make sense if it was a one-year deal. Bringing in Jason Williams would actually make sense if it was a two-year deal. We need to still sign an enforcer to play limited minutes in a real specialized role (Aaron Downey/Andre Roy type) and still need to get both Klein and Koistinen under contract and/or make a move to resolve that situation.

Any lineup you throw out there right now is going to have some holes in it for sure...heck, I can guarantee that there will be question marks on all 30 teams rosters even come opening night, but it is how you fill those holes that makes all the difference in the world and if you can't find one big piece to fit into that puzzle, then you will see a team sign a couple smaller pieces to create options and hope that a combination of smaller moves will work out.

worstfaceoffmanever 07-07-2008 03:18 PM

No thanks on The Glass Demitra.


If we sign a free agent that's going to be an NHL regular, it should be Williams; otherwise, just make a few depth moves and go with PHAP (Patric Hörnqvist-Antti Pihlström).

quartermaster29 07-07-2008 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 14778158)
No thanks on The Glass Demitra.


If we sign a free agent that's going to be an NHL regular, it should be Williams; otherwise, just make a few depth moves and go with PHAP (Patric Hörnqvist-Antti Pihlström).

Is "PHAP" also the sound of someone's face hitting the glass?

BigFatCat999 07-07-2008 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quartermaster29 (Post 14778368)
Is "PHAP" also the sound of someone's face hitting the glass?

That would be PHAP Wooga Wooga Wooga which would include the sound of the plexiglass shaking after contact. :yo:

Enoch 07-07-2008 04:15 PM

Demitra makes sense. We have had interest in the past, and he has the skillset to fit well on Nashville. His problems are injuries....but if he is cheap enough, he is worth the risk. I could see a 2 year deal for Williams, Demitra, or Nagy.

DManPreds11 07-07-2008 08:07 PM

I personally thought Bertuzzi under 2mil would have been a good pick up, for just one year for us. Looks like Calgary that added a key player in Cammerilli chose to give Bertuzzi a shot that may pay off big with a one year deal. Big physical foward that gives decent screens (hmmm) sounds like something we need. I wonder if Poile is on vacation down in Florida with Vokie.:shakehead

worstfaceoffmanever 07-07-2008 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DManPreds11 (Post 14782703)
I personally thought Bertuzzi under 2mil would have been a good pick up, for just one year for us. Looks like Calgary that added a key player in Cammerilli chose to give Bertuzzi a shot that may pay off big with a one year deal. Big physical foward that gives decent screens (hmmm) sounds like something we need. I wonder if Poile is on vacation down in Florida with Vokie.:shakehead

I think he's been in Sweden because there's STILL talk we might sign Linus Videll.

barrytrotzsneck 07-08-2008 02:17 PM

another one bites the dust.

to vancouver, 3 years, 4 million per

Enoch 07-08-2008 02:25 PM

Considering the rumors of him in Vancouver before free agency started and the reported quotes of him saying he would be a Canuck - I'm not that surprised. The longer he was available, the more I felt we had a stick in the fire....

predhead1 07-08-2008 02:47 PM

Personally, I'm glad we didn't sign him if it was going to take $4.0m/year for 3 years. Seems like an overpayment for a fragile, aging player.

darth5 07-08-2008 04:16 PM

Say what you want about how good Demitra is, but who in their right mind does NOT believe he would be an upgrade over Fiddler or Smithson???

worstfaceoffmanever 07-08-2008 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoda of the chains (Post 14795549)
Say what you want about how good Demitra is, but who in their right mind does NOT believe he would be an upgrade over Fiddler or Smithson???

Who in their right mind thinks Pavol Demitra would be on our 4th line???

darth5 07-08-2008 05:20 PM

Well, have Fiddler and Smithson been confined to the 4th line now? I don't think so.

DManPreds11 07-08-2008 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoda of the chains (Post 14796688)
Well, have Fiddler and Smithson been confined to the 4th line now? I don't think so.

Na, not with the man crush Trotz has on them two.

predhead1 07-08-2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoda of the chains (Post 14795549)
Say what you want about how good Demitra is, but who in their right mind does NOT believe he would be an upgrade over Fiddler or Smithson???

If that's the criterion we're working under, I'm sure we would have no problem finding an upgrade for far less than $12.0mm.

jstreet 07-10-2008 02:35 PM

awesome for Vancouver but they still need more firepower I think

DManPreds11 07-12-2008 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnlikestars (Post 14823650)
awesome for Vancouver but they still need more firepower I think

They didn't need much more with Luongo between the pipes. The thing with Demitra is can he stay healthy enough to help this team.

jumptheshark 07-13-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 14793242)
Considering the rumors of him in Vancouver before free agency started and the reported quotes of him saying he would be a Canuck - I'm not that surprised. The longer he was available, the more I felt we had a stick in the fire....

The reports over here in european say he was on vacation for the passed month. The wild have already asked the NHL to look into what happened in late April/early May where Demitra was qouted as saying he was going to Vancouver


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.