HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Trade up now for a great 1st round draft pick? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=533607)

Garfinkel1 07-07-2008 01:33 PM

Trade up now for a great 1st round draft pick?

Alot of people are talking about how great the draft is next year. We hear that alot I know but it seems this hype could actually be true. I was looking at some of the players that people have been talking about and they sound like they could have ALOT of potential. That being said, should we trade up like now for a draft pick, take a chance and trade a team we know is going to do poorly. a team like Vancouver, the Islanders, Toronto and Columbus.

Their 1st in '09
for our 1st in '09, 3rd in '10 and a sub-par prospect?

or is there any way we could get a 1st rounder without giving up our 1st?

their 1st in 09
for our
2nd 09, 2nd in 10, and 3 3rd's over the next 3 years

We have so many young prospects that can easily fit the role as a bottom 6 foward but no top line prospects to date. (besides Cherpanov which was a steal). I am solely talking about forwards because I don't think we should draft a defensive player next year in our first two picks.

Discuss...

NYR Viper 07-07-2008 01:38 PM

with all the depth the rangers have in the system i would love for them to trade some of it for some picks and then when the draft comes up next year to trade 3-4 picks for 1 to try and get a serious impact player......but the odds of it happening are very slim

Garfinkel1 07-07-2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 (Post 14776527)
with all the depth the rangers have in the system i would love for them to trade some of it for some picks and then when the draft comes up next year to trade 3-4 picks for 1 to try and get a serious impact player......but the odds of it happening are very slim

Why is that?

Turambar 07-07-2008 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 (Post 14776622)
Why is that?

because everyone wants that impact player, and when a team has a chance to acquire one, most aren't going to give that up, especially not for a few extra picks.

clmetsfan 07-07-2008 01:47 PM

Quote:

Why is that?

Because teams aren't willing to give up first round picks, especially when they don't have much hope of competing for a Cup this season.

You mention the Isles, Blue Jackets, and Columbus. If you give up a first round pick, it better be for something that has a serious impact on your team. How much impact is a lower 1st, and 3rd, and a guy like Callahan going to have on those teams?

It'd be pretty stupid of them if they gave up a lottery pick for a pair of marginal players.

Garfinkel1 07-07-2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clmetsfan (Post 14776694)
Because teams aren't willing to give up first round picks, especially when they don't have much hope of competing for a Cup this season.

You mention the Isles, Blue Jackets, and Columbus. If you give up a first round pick, it better be for something that has a serious impact on your team. How much impact is a lower 1st, and 3rd, and a guy like Callahan going to have on those teams?

It'd be pretty stupid of them if they gave up a lottery pick for a pair of marginal players.

Well, I know it wouldn't work with the Isles who drafted like 100 players this draft but for team's with little to no prospect depth, it could help them. Maybe not a 1st, a 3rd and cally, but add a few more draft picks and it might make it work their while.

clmetsfan 07-07-2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 (Post 14776817)
Well, I know it wouldn't work with the Isles who drafted like 100 players this draft but for team's with little to no prospect depth, it could help them. Maybe not a 1st, a 3rd and cally, but add a few more draft picks and it might make it work their while.

You're still talking about a quantity for quality deal. The Isles, like all bad teams, need talent, not depth.

I Eat Crow 07-07-2008 02:00 PM

Trust me when I say that almost every top 20 pick in next year's draft has first line/first D pairing potential. There is no need to move the pick now

NYR Viper 07-07-2008 02:01 PM

Quote:

Why is that?

its hard to find teams who are willing to give up picks for prospects....or borderline nhlers.....

Tawnos 07-07-2008 02:50 PM

The very idea of this is ludicrous. There is no way you can possibly say that any single team is 100% going to finish with a high draft pick. What if you, say, trade the pick to Vancouver. Vancouver doesn't look very good right now, so it's not completely stupid. But what if Vancouver over-achieves and ends up with the 9th or 10th pick? Was it worth it? Negative.

Yellot00tr 07-07-2008 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawnos (Post 14777685)
The very idea of this is ludicrous. There is no way you can possibly say that any single team is 100% going to finish with a high draft pick. What if you, say, trade the pick to Vancouver. Vancouver doesn't look very good right now, so it's not completely stupid. But what if Vancouver over-achieves and ends up with the 9th or 10th pick? Was it worth it? Negative.

trading picks this early is always gonna be a gamble. who says that we'll even do well this year and we won't have a high pick ourselves. obviously i hope we win the cup and end up with the lowest pick in the first round, but i doubt it. if anything gets done in regards to trading picks, it'll prob happen right around the time of the draft or at least when the draft order is set. especially if this coming year's draft is all that it's cracked up to be-why would a team wanna take a chance on not only their position in the draft, but gamble on another team's position in the draft as well?