HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Proposal: LA-Nsh (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=533850)

DapperDan 07-07-2008 11:56 PM

Proposal: LA-Nsh

To LA: Zanon
To Nashville: Tukonen + 6th round pick

Nashville moves one of its "older" defensemen and gets to bring up a prospect. They also get Tukonen, who has gotten stuck in LA's pipeline but could be quite the asset for Nashville. LA gets a desperately needed defenseman and a valued shot blocker for a year.

crossxcheck 07-08-2008 07:12 AM

Tukonen's nothing special, but neither is Zanon. I'd do it simply because I loathe Zanon.

jstreet 07-08-2008 08:19 AM

keep Tuk, send the 6th rounder

quartermaster29 07-08-2008 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnlikestars (Post 14788237)
keep Tuk, send the 6th rounder

No kidding. I was shocked to see someone wanted Zanon. I say they can have him (and I actually like Greg Zanon)... especially if it makes room for someone more talented.

worstfaceoffmanever 07-08-2008 04:00 PM

Done. That's better value than we got for Niskala, who has much more potential than Zanon could ever hope to.

echlfreak 07-08-2008 04:07 PM

Zanon is the best penalty killer on the team, so to get rid of him for a draft pick makes no sense. He is a cheap price tag for a very valuable role. You don't want guys likes Weber and Suter blocking all the shots because that leads to too many potential injuries. Zanon and DeVeries are our shut down D.

worstfaceoffmanever 07-08-2008 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echlfreak (Post 14795411)
Zanon is the best penalty killer on the team, so to get rid of him for a draft pick makes no sense. He is a cheap price tag for a very valuable role. You don't want guys likes Weber and Suter blocking all the shots because that leads to too many potential injuries. Zanon and DeVeries are our shut down D.

Klein is lightyears ahead of Zanon offensively, he's just as physical and he can play in any situation. Koistinen helps the power play and isn't a liability in his own end and also shows a willingness to play the body. Both have a lot of room to grow as defefnsemen. Zanon has plateaued. This also gives us an opportunity to bring up Sulzer or Laakso from Milwaukee and give them some NHL minutes that they likely wouldn't get otherwise.

From a developmental standpoint, this is good move. Tukonen needs a change of scenery and he gives us another big body in the system and shoals up our depth at right wing. Couple that with the Videll signing and we've got a fantastic farm team next year with a lot of size and guys that can step in and contribute at the NHL level.

We're gonna let Zanon go in a year anyway, so why not get something for him and give the younger defensemen who can contribute more without being a negative defensively a chance?

SteveDangle 07-08-2008 04:38 PM

When did L.A. become so desparate for defenseman they'd give up a former 1st-rounder and a pick for it. Jack Johnson anyone? Drew Doughty? Just got Greene? Why trade a youngster away when you could just bring another up?

DapperDan 07-08-2008 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDangle (Post 14795899)
When did L.A. become so desparate for defenseman they'd give up a former 1st-rounder and a pick for it. Jack Johnson anyone? Drew Doughty? Just got Greene? Why trade a youngster away when you could just bring another up?

Tukonen may be a former first rounder, but the way it's looking right now, he will be very unlikely to ever make the roster, and chances that he becomes an impact player are even slimmer. I'm glad you did your homework in regards to his draft placement, but it just goes to show you really need to take a closer look at his most recent achievements and actual style of play. My line of thinking was that he could actually thrive in a different setting like Nashville.

And, as it stands now, the Kings are somewhat desperate for defensemen, losing both Visnovsky and Blake. The defensive lineup looks like this...

Johnson-Preissing
Greene-Doughty
Gauthier-Harrold

That's not too fantastic. AND that's assuming Doughty makes the team as an 18 year old, which is a long shot and probably unwise considering defensemen take longer to develop than forwards. Ideally, the Kings can pick up a decent shutdown guy with good shot blocking to help out Labs/Ersberg/Bernier for a year (a la Zanon).

worstfaceoffmanever 07-08-2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DapperDan (Post 14798500)
Tukonen may be a former first rounder, but the way it's looking right now, he will be very unlikely to ever make the roster, and chances that he becomes an impact player are even slimmer. I'm glad you did your homework in regards to his draft placement, but it just goes to show you really need to take a closer look at his most recent achievements and actual style of play. My line of thinking was that he could actually thrive in a different setting like Nashville.

I don't know about thriving, but he could certainly use a change of scenery and I think he'd fit in well in Milwaukee, and might stand a chance to make the team next year or at least be a call-up. I think he needs to get a little more motivated, though.

Imagine:

Jones-O'Reilly-Videll
Mark Santorelli-Mike Santorelli-Tukonen
K. Wilson-Buck-Thuresson
Grant-Free Agent-McKenzie

OR

Peverley-O'Reilly-Jones (IIRC, RW is Jones' natural position)
MaSa-MiSa-Videll
Wilson-Buck-Tukonen
Grant-Thuresson-McKenzie

Either way that's a pretty good group of forwards and it gives us at least two forwards with NHL experience, 5 forwards who can or have played in the NHL, and at least 3 more with NHL potential.

SmokeyClause 07-08-2008 08:00 PM

Tukonen is almost 22 years old? Man I feel old. Just looking at his hockeydb.com stats and he's had three years of AHL hockey under his belt. I still remember his goofey hockeysfuture pre-draft prospects picture as if it was yesterday.