HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   4th Line (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=533919)

HockeyBasedNYC 07-08-2008 09:08 AM

4th Line

I know there are a few lines threads out there, but I'd like to specify the discussion on the 4th line.

Being that the Rangers are changing their style a little, i'd love to see this:

Korpikoski - Betts - Sjostrom

And for the nights when you need a little bang for your buck, throw in Orr or Voros.

To me, the Rissmiller and Voros moves kind of made no sense, other than it gives the Rangers the flexibilty to throw out a much bigger 4th line with any combination of these three big guys around the 6'3 210 Betts

Orr 6'3 222 - Voros 6'3 205 - Rissmiller 6'4 220

But looking again... you are not sacrificing too much size with Korpo (6'1 195) and Sjostrom (6'1 217) on that line, but they can skate and forecheck and they have grit.

I'd love to see this faster, more potent line.

Dagoon44 07-08-2008 09:10 AM

Orr will play and play alot this season. We got what we all wanted and thats the kids to get a shot. Now they need to be protected.Did you notice thAT most of the conference went out and got goons?

beastly115 07-08-2008 09:12 AM

Byers - Betts - Orr

Trxjw 07-08-2008 09:14 AM

I'd rather see Korpikoski on the 3rd line. The kid has a ton of two-way potential and I think burying him down on the 4th line isn't going to help his development.

That being said, I have no idea if he'll even make the roster.

Fletch 07-08-2008 09:15 AM

Hbnyc...

I still think the roster has some tweaking to be done. I'm not totally convinced that Voros and Rissmiller are here to be the 13th forward. I do see Orr playing this season, but I'm not convinced it will be in a regular role. I'm hoping for a better distribution of ice time this season, with no Jagr and hopefully Drury not getting 25 minutes of ice time to start the season, which means the fourth line could see a good deal of ice time. As such, as was the case with Orr in the postseason, I can see him taking a seat quite often.

TheHotRock 07-08-2008 09:54 AM

byers-betts-orr or rissmiller-betts-orr

nyr2k2 07-08-2008 09:59 AM

I'd rather Korpikoski play a lot of minutes in the AHL than rot on our 4th line.

I Am Chariot 07-08-2008 10:10 AM

Any offense off the 4th line would be a nice change.

Betts - may be one of the best pk guys in the NHL but he has anti-scoring touch.

Orr- can break faces when called upon and generally is respected by the other teams goon, but really does he EVER go after anyone who's not the other teams designated heavyweight. So meaningless 90% of the time.

Hollweg - great story, but he's had his shot.

Sjo- Would like to see him get a shot. Liked his speed, hustle and he seems to like going to the net....

Shanny - don't laugh hes still out there. Hes a great PK guy and he knows how to score

The Byers/Korpeedo/Voros/Rismiller/Fritsche - Renny will give Voros and Fritsche plenty of icetime in camp.

NYR Sting 07-08-2008 10:26 AM

I think if Voros and Rissmiller are earning 1 mill a piece, they're going to play, or at least be given every opportunity to. Hopefully, that spells the end for Hollweg. As for Orr, it probably means he'll be the team's extra forward, or share that role with one of these two.

Meanwhile, I believe that Sjostrom, like Prucha, needs to be given a legitimate shot at top-six play. Sjostrom is at the point where either he's going to start becoming something of value, or he's just a fourth liner we don't need. Considering he's all we have to show for Montoya, I have to imagine that Sather and Renney will try and make something out of him before it's too late.

But this is all moot anyway because I highly doubt this team is going to stand pat. There are just far too many forwards right now. Some kind of trade is coming.

ogie 07-08-2008 10:52 AM

i think our lineup may look something like this next season

naslund - gomez - zherdev
dawes - drury - sjostrom/prucha
callahan - dubinsky - Korpikoski
Rissmiller - betts - Orr

we'll i'll say one thing we will be fast.

HockeyBasedNYC 07-08-2008 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ogie (Post 14789785)
i think our lineup may look something like this next season

naslund - gomez - zherdev
dawes - drury - sjostrom/prucha
callahan - dubinsky - Korpikoski
Rissmiller - betts - Orr

we'll i'll say one thing we will be fast.

No Fritsche?

ogie 07-08-2008 11:14 AM

oh forgot about him. I have to admit i don't know enough about him to plug him into a spot. Some say he is could be a solid 2nd liner others say he is at best a third.

Bleed Ranger Blue 07-08-2008 11:15 AM

Betts gets a bad rap thanks to playing the majority of his minutes with two absolute stone hands like Hollweg and Orr.

Despite the change in team philosophy to a speed oriented, north/south game, I still think some grit is needed somewhere in the lineup. I think you'll see a lot of different combinations on the 4th line with Betts as the center. The line will have a lot better of a chance to chip in a goal here or there with Sjostrom and Korpikoski.

NYR Viper 07-08-2008 11:18 AM

IMO korpikoski will be back down in the AHL next season.......with all the depth the rangers have, unless they make a trade he will be put in the AHL to see if he can dominate and improve his offensive game with a ton of minutes....

voros-betts-byers

that line IMO would be a solid 4th line with grit, speed, goal scoring and forechecking.....

drury-gomez-zherdev
dawes-dubinsky-naslund
sjostrom-fritsche-callahan
voros-betts-byers
orr, rissmiller

eco's bones 07-08-2008 11:20 AM

We have a real logjam for bottom line forwards--those with NHL experience--Callahan, Sjostrom, Fritsche, Betts, Orr, Hollweg, Rissmiller, Voros and those with very little or none who seem ready to take a shot--Korpikoski, Byers, Moore, Jamtin. Something will have to give and I wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers move two or three of these players before the end of training camp for draft picks or even perhaps for more depth on defense.

Fire Sather 07-08-2008 11:30 AM

Would like to see Orr's playing time cut this year.. by about 50 %..

I think Rissmiller and Voros will get a chance to play, both were signed to 1 mill deals.

Theres no room for Byers, and thankfully less room for Moore.

HockeyBasedNYC 07-08-2008 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ogie (Post 14790136)
oh forgot about him. I have to admit i don't know enough about him to plug him into a spot. Some say he is could be a solid 2nd liner others say he is at best a third.

Theres a lot of that going on.

It easy when the Rangers have 4,240 forwards.

Bleed Ranger Blue 07-08-2008 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC (Post 14790534)
Theres a lot of that going on.

It easy when the Rangers have 4,240 forwards.

And, unfortunately, about 4 of them can be counted on for production on the top 2 lines.

nyr2k2 07-08-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue (Post 14790149)
Betts gets a bad rap thanks to playing the majority of his minutes with two absolute stone hands like Hollweg and Orr.

Despite the change in team philosophy to a speed oriented, north/south game, I still think some grit is needed somewhere in the lineup. I think you'll see a lot of different combinations on the 4th line with Betts as the center. The line will have a lot better of a chance to chip in a goal here or there with Sjostrom and Korpikoski.

Betts has been given the opportunity to play with some of our more skilled forwards in the past and made nothing of it. He's a black hole on offense.

ogie 07-08-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 (Post 14790189)
drury-gomez-zherdev
dawes-dubinsky-naslund
sjostrom-fritsche-callahan
voros-betts-byers
orr, rissmiller

why would the Rangers sign Naslund, and then move Drury to the wing? We have a glut of wingers it makes no sense to move Drury.

NYR Sting 07-08-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr2k2 (Post 14790782)
Betts has been given the opportunity to play with some of our more skilled forwards in the past and made nothing of it. He's a black hole on offense.

See, it isn't a problem when you have one guy on your team like that, as long as he is a huge contributor in other ways, which Betts is. He's an excellent defensive forward, he's a good faceoff man, he's a great penalty killer and he's a solid team guy who by all indications is well-liked.

The problem is when you have three guys like that on your team, as was the case with Hollweg, Betts and Orr. The difference is Hollweg is useless while Orr is only really needed for fighting.

I have no problem with Betts being the full-time 4th line center as long as Hollweg is gone and Orr only plays when necessary.

nyr2k2 07-08-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sting36e (Post 14790854)
See, it isn't a problem when you have one guy on your team like that, as long as he is a huge contributor in other ways, which Betts is. He's an excellent defensive forward, he's a good faceoff man, he's a great penalty killer and he's a solid team guy who by all indications is well-liked.

The problem is when you have three guys like that on your team, as was the case with Hollweg, Betts and Orr. The difference is Hollweg is useless while Orr is only really needed for fighting.

I have no problem with Betts being the full-time 4th line center as long as Hollweg is gone and Orr only plays when necessary.

I wasn't denigrating Betts at all, just to be clear. He's the perfect fourth line center, IMO.

BDubinskyNYR17* 07-08-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sting36e (Post 14790854)

not that id wanna deal betts but any chance fritsche makes betts expendable, maybe we can get a decent depth dman for betts.

ogie 07-08-2008 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCallahan43 (Post 14790931)
not that id wanna deal betts but any chance fritsche makes betts expendable, maybe we can get a decent depth dman for betts.

The only thing you'd get for Betts is a hotdog, a bag of skittles and a coke...diet coke.

Bleed Ranger Blue 07-08-2008 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr2k2 (Post 14790782)

Thats why I said the majority of his time was spent with Orr and Hollweg. I guess you're referring to the handful of times he was plugged into a 2nd or 3rd line spot for a couple of games.

Im not saying Betts will light it up, but I think he can consistently score around 10 goals per year with better linemates on the 4th line. Not playing with skilled enough linemates is a perfect excuse for the Petr Prucha puck bunnies.