HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Carolina Hurricanes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Maple Leafs vs Hurricanes (02.19.04) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=53432)

Plan 9 02-18-2004 04:12 PM

Maple Leafs vs Hurricanes (02.19.04)

Game Night

Toronto Maple Leafs
http://www.coolhockey.com/jersey/Map...me_replica.jpg

vs

Carolina Hurricanes
http://www.coolhockey.com/jersey/Hur...ay_replica.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------

Place: RBC Center
Time: 7:08 PM

Team Records:

Toronto: 32-16-9-3, 76 points
174 goals for, 151 goals against

Carolina: 18-27-11-2, 49 points
112 goals for, 146 goals against

Special Teams:

Toronto:
Powerplay: 19.6% (55/281) - 6th place
Penalty Kill: 84.7% (249/294) - 14th place

Carolina:
Powerplay: 11.7% (31/266) - 29th place
Penalty Kill: 81.1% (202/249) - 26th place

Team Leaders:

Toronto:
Goals: Gary Roberts (22)
Assists: Mats Sundin (36)
Plus/Minus: Tomas Kaberle (+15)
Penalty Minutes: Tie Domi (161)
Shots on goal: Mats Sundin (167)
Average ice time: Bryan McCabe (25:31)
Wins: Ed Belfour (24)
Save Percentage: Ed Belfour (91.5%)
Goals Against Average: Ed Belfour (2.17)

Carolina:
Goals: Josef Vasicek (15)
Assists: Justin Williams (22)
Plus/Minus: Justin Williams (+12)
Penalty Minutes: Jesse Boulerice (95)
Shots on goal: Jeff O'Neill (173)
Average ice time: Sean Hill (24:10)
Wins: Kevin Weekes (18)
Save Percentage: Kevin Weekes (91.4%)
Goals Against Average: Kevin Weekes (2.26)

Probable Goaltenders

Toronto Maple Leafs
http://espn.go.com/i/nhl/profiles/players/0689.jpg

Trevor Kidd
5 - 4 - 2, 3.15 GAA, 88.3 SV%

vs

Carolina Hurricanes
http://espn.go.com/i/nhl/profiles/players/1677.jpg

Kevin Weekes
18 - 21 - 9, 2.26 GAA, 91.4 SV%

DaveG 02-19-2004 12:36 AM

I hope Toronto doesn't play Kidd... or I hope that the Canes play Irbe. The worst possible thing that could happen to this team right now is to play themselves out of position to even possibly have the #1 pick.

Anyway, I'll be watching from a bar in Apex. Unfortunitely I work late so I won't make it to the RBC.

Vagrant 02-19-2004 12:57 AM

I've got this scary gut feeling that Toronto is going to be scouting Jeff O'Neill during this game. After the Bondra to Ottawa move, Toronto is going to want to even the playing field.

bleedgreen 02-19-2004 03:21 AM

i gotta admit, the suspense is killin me with the maybe trades. 2 or 3 weeks left till the deadline? should be an interesting game. im hopin i dont have to miss it.

WoodGundy 02-19-2004 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedgreen
i gotta admit, the suspense is killin me with the maybe trades. 2 or 3 weeks left till the deadline? should be an interesting game. im hopin i dont have to miss it.

The good news is I don't have to deal with the diehard Leaf boss today. The bad news is my satelite is out right now. We are in the middle of the worst snow storm to hit Halifax in a long time. About 30cm down and the same to come, with 100km per hr winds.

Hopefully I'll be able to watch.

WoodGundy 02-19-2004 06:50 AM

Pierre Maguire was on the morning show of the Toronto sports talk station and he and the hosts took numerous shots at the 'Canes. Maguire knows what he's talking about and everything they said is true - to summarize, we are a pathetic team. However, the sarcasm and the arrogance from these guys is a perfect example of why the rest of the hockey world hates the Leafs.

The hi-lites:

1. Pierre says of the Leafs don't even think Irbe. Think Kolzig or Khabibulin.
2. Praised Wesley, but says Boughner is a better fit on this year's Leafs.
3. Encourages any play-off team to add Francis if he is interested. Recognizes that Ronnie is a shell of his former self, but can't put a price on his intangibles and what he brings to a locker room.
4. They all mocked O'Neill for his comments that Hockey Canada should lose his number, since he wasn't invited to the selection camp for the upcoming world cup. Pierre basically said that O'Neill is useless without Roberts holding his hand and if he isn't scoring, he brings nothing to the table b/c he doesn't play with enough heart.

JR is up in 1/2 an hour. I'll let you know what he has to say.

WoodGundy 02-19-2004 07:30 AM

Great news out of the JR interview - Justin Williams will actually be back possibly Sat and definitely by Monday.

Took the blame for not recognizing that, like Washington before and Aneheim since, he rode a hot goalie to the finals and didn't make the proper moves to help the team make the transition after the Cup run.

Says he has faith in the market and though attendance is down, ratings are up and there is still interest in the team. He believes people will come back when the team is competitive, but stressed that the franchise, like many others, cannot survive in the current league structure.

Says Irbe has been all class in the minors and talked as if he has the opportunity to be the back-up through the duration of his contract. Commented that as an organization, the 'Canes ruin back-ups. Says they are thrilled with Weekes, but back-ups need regular work. 2 teams have called about Irbe, but the interest is very mild.

Says phone constantly rings for O'Neill. He has been the org's best player for several years, but he would move just about anyone if it makes the team better. O'Neill has never told him he wants out of Carolina.

He does not want to trade Francis, but will let him know if anyone asks about him and will make it happen if Ronnie is interested.

Interesting interview. He didn't dodge any questions and took responsibility for the current state of the team.

nordique 02-19-2004 08:32 AM

Looks like Tellqvist is in tonight for the Leafs.

Volcanologist 02-19-2004 12:09 PM

Quote:

Pierre Maguire was on the morning show of the Toronto sports talk station and he and the hosts took numerous shots at the 'Canes. Maguire knows what he's talking about and everything they said is true - to summarize, we are a pathetic team. However, the sarcasm and the arrogance from these guys is a perfect example of why the rest of the hockey world hates the Leafs.
Just so you know, Pierre is about the furthest thing from a Leaf fan you can get.

In fact, he's a Hab fan at heart who also jumps on the Senator bandwagon whenever appropriate.

HughJass* 02-19-2004 12:18 PM

Well, gentlemen, I want to be the first one to say welcome Leaf fans. May there be a great game tonight. I love watching the Leafs play on the dish, so I'm expecting a good match up if the Canes can keep up with the play or intensity. Knowing the Canes, they will do everything they can to slow the game down, though :cry:

Volcanologist 02-19-2004 12:47 PM

Mogilny's in tonight. Yahoo! :yo:

The Kitner Boy 02-19-2004 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Mogilny's in tonight. Yahoo! :yo:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=72785

I guess we will get to see Kidd in action.

Volcanologist 02-19-2004 01:37 PM

Nope.

As far as I know, Tellqvist is getting the start after Trevor's latest command performance against the Bruins.

WoodGundy 02-19-2004 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Nope.

As far as I know, Tellqvist is getting the start after Trevor's latest command performance against the Bruins.

That seems to be the word on the FAN today.

bleedgreen 02-19-2004 01:51 PM

hey wood, did you read my post awhile back on why maguire rips the canes/ whalers? there is bad blood there-and i dont respect a word that comes out of that guys mouth, especially about this team. great post on jr's talk today, i like to hear how forthcoming he is about the teams woes. it sounds from what you said that oneill has a good chance of going if the right offer is made.

The Kitner Boy 02-19-2004 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodGundy
That seems to be the word on the FAN today.

I stand corrected.

bleedgreen 02-19-2004 02:24 PM

found this link today about canes/leafs trade rumours, same link i posted in the rutherford thread.
http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/...rts/TopStories

Volcanologist 02-19-2004 02:48 PM

Well, if that article is accurate, I really don't see any possibility of the Leafs making a trade with Carolina.

-Leafs not interested in Boughner(article)
-Wesley won't be rented out again(Rutherford)
-Rutherford wanted/wants Antropov/Stajan for O'Neill, and the Leafs don't want to do that(article)

I don't see a deal here if all those things are true. You guys?

bleedgreen 02-19-2004 03:01 PM

frankly, i never did. i dont think any of the canes fans saw TO as the place o would go..... i made a rhyme. :handclap:
seriously though, im suprised TO doesnt want boogie - i wonder if getting berehowsky influenced that. i also wonder if some of the teams asking for boogie have driven the price to the point TO decided they were better off getting berehowsky.

Volcanologist 02-19-2004 03:15 PM

Nah, Berehowsky was just the best they could do for Jackass...oops I mean Jackman.

Just a swap of spare parts because Jackman wasn't playing. Berehowsky isn't a serious part of their plans IMO.

bleedgreen 02-19-2004 03:30 PM

then why no interest in boogie? i think they need the depth, i think the article suggests the price might be going up for him...that could be a reason. im just suprised TO wouldnt have an interest in our ufa d-men.

WoodGundy 02-19-2004 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedgreen
hey wood, did you read my post awhile back on why maguire rips the canes/ whalers? there is bad blood there-and i dont respect a word that comes out of that guys mouth, especially about this team. great post on jr's talk today, i like to hear how forthcoming he is about the teams woes. it sounds from what you said that oneill has a good chance of going if the right offer is made.

I did read your post about Maguire and it definitely puts a slant on everything he says. I do think he knows what he is talking about, though his delivery is very annoying. And you are right, his comments on the 'Canes always seem to have some extra bitterness.

I just don't know what to think on the O'Neill situation. It sounds like a lot of teams are asking about him and a bidding war could be a great thing. Who knows what the offers are like though. Hopefully JR means what he says and will only move him if it's a no-brainer.

I am looking forward to this one like I haven't in awhile. If the 'Canes win their next 3 and don't win another game for the rest of the season I'll still be happy.

Still snowing in Halifax. I can't see across the street and the snow has drifted up over the hood of my car. Nearly fell off my balcony, but I've cleaned up the dish enough to watch the game. Hopefully they don't stink up the joint.

Plan 9 02-19-2004 03:46 PM

I'll be tuned in on the radio for this one. Hopefully all goes well.

Skydog 02-19-2004 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodGundy
About 30cm down and the same to come, with 100km per hr winds.

Ahhhh that darn metric system is scrambling my American brains!!!

bleedgreen 02-19-2004 03:57 PM

found another interesting quote in this one. jr says in here both wesley AND hill arent going anywhere?!? im all for talking care of players - but they need assets for these guys dont they? at least a pick.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=72835
its snowing here in colorado as well, not as bad as for you metric oriented people.