HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Anthony Stewart Accepts Qualifying Offer (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=534409)

Montsy14 07-09-2008 12:54 PM

Anthony Stewart Accepts Qualifying Offer

http://panthers.nhl.com/team/app/?se...ticleid=368074

VirtualSpree 07-09-2008 12:58 PM

cool, I guess.

Clint 07-09-2008 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montsy14 (Post 14806821)

Good. I'm still not convince that he's a total bust. Hopefully he can get his head on straight and become the powerforward he was drafted to be.

NJ_CATS_FAN 07-09-2008 01:01 PM

I have never been impressed with Stewart. How many chances is he going to get?

Montsy14 07-09-2008 01:02 PM

It's only a 1 year deal, so you would think this is the last shot for him, in the Panthers organization anyway...

Acadmus 07-09-2008 01:15 PM

I'm going to be optimistic on this one - he took the qualifier because he realizes he hasn't proven he's worth more than the minimum they can offer him at this point, and he's set to step up his game drastically this season.

That's my hope - I don't even care if it's delusional anymore.

hoax15 07-09-2008 01:18 PM

Sweet, this is good. Especially since its one-year.

Rattrick 07-09-2008 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montsy14 (Post 14806946)
It's only a 1 year deal, so you would think this is the last shot for him, in the Panthers organization anyway...

Agreed. Last shot or he's out of the NHL.

Biggzy* 07-09-2008 01:56 PM

The cup is ours now. :shakehead

Egblad 07-09-2008 02:19 PM

Meh lets see what DeBoer can do.

zeroG 07-09-2008 02:29 PM

um... ALRIGHT! :P

Beezer 07-09-2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN (Post 14806927)
I have never been impressed with Stewart. How many chances is he going to get?

Apparently as many chances as the Panthers are going to get to finally make it to the playoffs!

luciousharris 07-09-2008 02:36 PM

What's the deal with this guy. I see he his a big boy. I have only seen a couple of highlights on him. Does he hit? Does he have a good shot but just not getting any chances? I reall hope he does well this year.

Thewbacca 07-09-2008 02:39 PM

Stewart should be worth the patience, if he can turn himself around into the person he was drafted to become. And in his defence, Martin didn't really give him much exposure to the top lines. I'm hoping DeBoer can help. And also, we have Belak and plenty more grit too, especially on defence, so Stewart can relax a bit and not feel pressured to play an enforcer role.

zeroG 07-09-2008 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by major league (Post 14808290)
What's the deal with this guy. I see he his a big boy. I have only seen a couple of highlights on him. Does he hit? Does he have a good shot but just not getting any chances? I reall hope he does well this year.

he hasn't really "gotten" professional hockey yet, it would seem. he's got the tools tho - good skater, decent hitter (getting better with confidence), decent hands. could be a very effective nhl player, though he's headed for a career, if he's lucky, on the 3rd/4th line.

Beezer 07-09-2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate The Great (Post 14808057)
Meh lets see what DeBoer can do.

"Stewart breaks out this season and plays like a real power forward(Bertuzzi style) scorings goals and getting big checks to create space out on the ice for his teamates. Panthers win the division and finally make it into the playoffs after an 8 year hiatis. At the end of the playoffs only 1 team is left and captain Stephen Weiss hands the cup to Jay Bouwmeester(who signed a 10year deal midseason with the Cats) and all us Panthers fans are really enjoying the moment......................It is extra special because of everything we have gone thru. We are all moved to joy especially when they anounce the playoff MVP, Anthony Stewart!". OHH, sorry everybody. I was day dreaming!!!!!!!

Laus723 07-09-2008 02:43 PM

I'm sure this has a lot to do with Rochester needing bodies. However, I'm interested in seeing what Deboer can do with him.

Desert Panther 07-09-2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beezer (Post 14808387)
"Stewart breaks out this season and plays like a real power forward(Bertuzzi style) scorings goals and getting big checks to create space out on the ice for his teamates. Panthers win the division and finally make it into the playoffs after an 8 year hiatis. At the end of the playoffs only 1 team is left and captain Stephen Weiss hands the cup to Jay Bouwmeester(who signed a 10year deal midseason with the Cats) and all us Panthers fans are really enjoying the moment......................It is extra special because of everything we have gone thru. We are all moved to joy especially when they anounce the playoff MVP, Anthony Stewart!". OHH, sorry everybody. I was day dreaming!!!!!!!

Dude! Give me some of whatever it is that you're on!! :naughty:

Rattrick 07-09-2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beezer (Post 14808387)

I had that same dream and in the background, behind the cup over Bouwmeester's head, I saw GP holding a sign that said "JM - You Suck!"... :nod:

zeroG 07-09-2008 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thewbacca (Post 14808328)
Stewart should be worth the patience, if he can turn himself around into the person he was drafted to become. And in his defence, Martin didn't really give him much exposure to the top lines. I'm hoping DeBoer can help. And also, we have Belak and plenty more grit too, especially on defence, so Stewart can relax a bit and not feel pressured to play an enforcer role.

he didn't really deserve time with the better players but, if you recall, he did spend a game or two playing with olli when we were really depleted and looked pretty good. they didn't really connect for any great scoring chances but there were some positive signs. and yeah, deboer and the fact belak is around could help him greatly. in fact (surprise!), he's my break out pick for the season. :)

FlaPanthers7 07-09-2008 02:59 PM

Maybe the Panthers can finally decide how they are going to use him! Is he a scorer, grinder, etc.???

Mogo 07-09-2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 (Post 14808657)
Maybe the Panthers can finally decide how they are going to use him! Is he a scorer, grinder, etc.???

He's the total package. He can do it all

Rattrick 07-09-2008 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroG (Post 14808477)
he didn't really deserve time with the better players but, if you recall, he did spend a game or two playing with olli when we were really depleted and looked pretty good. they didn't really connect for any great scoring chances but there were some positive signs. and yeah, deboer and the fact belak is around could help him greatly. in fact (surprise!), he's my break out pick for the season. :)

Break out season? That'd be what? 10 points? Double his career total!

Sorry zeroG, not starting a fight or anything but you left that door open and I just had to take it. :laugh:

zeroG 07-09-2008 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattrick (Post 14809106)
Break out season? That'd be what? 10 points? Double his career total!

Sorry zeroG, not starting a fight or anything but you left that door open and I just had to take it. :laugh:

exactly! you've helped me set the bar very low so i'll undoubtedly look like a genius on this one :)

seriously, though, i could imagine him chipping in a handful of goals or so, maybe 15 points and being an effective if unexceptional bottom 6 guy this year. that would a giant step ahead for him, especially if he can should some consistency. that would give us depth for the year, even if it doesn't earn him another shot. imo, he just has to show enough - with his ability, if he could get a little offense going next year, i'd follow up with another short 2-way contract (if he'd accept) and see if he can continue to develop.

Acadmus 07-09-2008 04:32 PM

Well, some comments here put some people in the unenviable position of having to hope Anthony Stewart does end up a bust, since otherwise they'll be eating a crow big enough to choke to death on:sarcasm:

Seriously - can't people just hope that Stewart ends up turning things around, maybe rooting for it? Yeah, it seems unlikely, but if he does it would be great for this team, and I can't see people rooting against that and still being members of this forum.

It's one thing to be pessimistic, but some people lately seem to be cheering for failure just so they can be right.