HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Niittymaki will be 4-0 if he starts Vs. Bos (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=53445)

Chainsaw 02-18-2004 04:43 PM

Niittymaki will be 4-0 if he starts Vs. Bos
 
If Flyers start Niittymaki they will win against Boston. Burke Stinks right now playing him right now is like giving away 2 points we have to go with the guy who beat a team we could not beat. Niitty deserves the start.

biggbloo 02-18-2004 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vancouver_Flyers_fan
If Flyers start Niittymaki they will win against Boston. Burke Stinks right now playing him right now is like giving away 2 points we have to go with the guy who beat a team we could not beat. Niitty deserves the start.

I like Nitty,but I think he was already sent back to the Phantoms. I'm going over to see them tonight. I'll tell you if he's back. I'm also going to watch Gainey's 1st game in the organization.

yvan74 02-18-2004 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggbloo
I like Nitty,but I think he was already sent back to the Phantoms. I'm going over to see them tonight. I'll tell you if he's back. I'm also going to watch Gainey's 1st game in the organization.

kool! let us know ASAP! well make our roster change too! :rolly:

FlyersHomer DM03 02-18-2004 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vancouver_Flyers_fan
Niitty deserves the start.

True.

But Burke deserves a game where we actually show up to play. Yeah, he was in goal vs. the Rags, but a meaningful game against a tough team. I'm displeased with Burke so far, but it's not all his fault. If Burke gives up a few soft goals vs. BOS, yeah I'll be screaming for the same thing

ObeySteve 02-18-2004 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggbloo
I like Nitty,but I think he was already sent back to the Phantoms. I'm going over to see them tonight. I'll tell you if he's back. I'm also going to watch Gainey's 1st game in the organization.

If he was already sent back to the Phantoms, who is backing up Burke?

Personally, I want Nittymaki back. Burke is a mediocre goaltender with no future whatsoever.

FearTheFlyers 02-18-2004 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObeySteve
If he was already sent back to the Phantoms, who is backing up Burke?

Personally, I want Nittymaki back. Burke is a mediocre goaltender with no future whatsoever.

Of course he has no future, he's old. He's the Present.

You cannot tell me, under any circumstance that you would rather Frank backup Esche in the playoffs instead of Burke.

ObeySteve 02-18-2004 08:42 PM

You're obviously jumping ahead, seeing as how none of the thread is discussing the goaltender situation after Esche returns.

But yes, if there was ever a point in the playoffs where Esche had to be pulled, it obviously would be a situation in which Burke wouldn't be much of a help. I'd rather Nittymaki back up Esche in the playoffs.

biggbloo 02-18-2004 09:28 PM

Niittymaki was in the nets for the Phantoms....
 
and lost 2-0 against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. Antero looked good,he was tested often and early by the surprisingly fast,and big Pens. The Phantoms outshot the Pens,but they were missing Kirby Law and Boyd Kane,(both called up to the Flyers,I guess). Gainey was excellent. He's fast and smart with the puck,he's good at avoiding heavy checks against him,and he even was used to kill penalties. Gainey looks similar to his father,I only hope he can take his talent a step further and bring it to the Flyers!!

yvan74 02-18-2004 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggbloo
and lost 2-0 against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. Antero looked good,he was tested often and early by the surprisingly fast,and big Pens. The Phantoms outshot the Pens,but they were missing Kirby Law and Boyd Kane,(both called up to the Flyers,I guess). Gainey was excellent. He's fast and smart with the puck,he's good at avoiding heavy checks against him,and he even was used to kill penalties. Gainey looks similar to his father,I only hope he can take his talent a step further and bring it to the Flyers!!

thanks for the update! so i'm guessing antero will stay down and esche will be back up for the next game against boston! :dunno:

anonymous* 02-19-2004 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObeySteve
You're obviously jumping ahead, seeing as how none of the thread is discussing the goaltender situation after Esche returns.

But yes, if there was ever a point in the playoffs where Esche had to be pulled, it obviously would be a situation in which Burke wouldn't be much of a help. I'd rather Nittymaki back up Esche in the playoffs.

Wasn't this you, bringing up Burke's future, or lack thereof?

Quote:

Burke is a mediocre goaltender with no future whatsoever.
Does it only take 3 games for you to judge the ability of a goaltender? 3 games against teams that weren't playing well, behind a team that was playing well? Burke's first game he pretty much stole. The defense couldn't keep NY out of the zone. As much as they suck as a team, it's still Jagr, Kovalev, Holik, Leetch, even Poti throwing shots at him.

I like Niity as much as anyone else, but I'm not ready to crown him the second coming of Parent, or Roy, or Brodeur, or (insert favorite goaltender) He needs to be put through tougher games, that's games plural. He needs to take some losses to see how he'll bounce back. That's just my opinion, maybe he is a 1 goal a game career goaltender, but I doubt it.

capn89* 02-19-2004 06:33 AM

the last thing I want to hear about is what he does with the Phantoms. Let him play with the Flyers, I'll go by his professional play, rather than his play with a bunch of AHLers... just look at Neil Little when he got to play with the pros... he was awful.

Bob Clarke Fan Club 02-19-2004 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capn89
the last thing I want to hear about is what he does with the Phantoms. Let him play with the Flyers, I'll go by his professional play, rather than his play with a bunch of AHLers... just look at Neil Little when he got to play with the pros... he was awful.





Well Cap'n he got shelled by those AHL'ers the night before we acquired Burke...Is it possible that Mr. Antero Parent helped sway the decision to pull the trigger? Oh and by the way, AHL is still professional hockey. Antero's time is coming but it wouldn't have been fair to throw him in vs TBay and judging by the goals...looks like the right decision...despite the shallacking we took.

Toonces 02-19-2004 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
Mr. Antero Parent

:lol:

I think he should be brought along slowly. Everybody seems to want to throw him directly into the fire which can backfire bigtime with a goaltender.

Niittymaki looks good, but we should all give him time.

capn89* 02-19-2004 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
Well Cap'n he got shelled by those AHL'ers the night before we acquired Burke...Is it possible that Mr. Antero Parent helped sway the decision to pull the trigger? Oh and by the way, AHL is still professional hockey. Antero's time is coming but it wouldn't have been fair to throw him in vs TBay and judging by the goals...looks like the right decision...despite the shallacking we took.

As U said, I don't give a damn what he does in the AHL, he can give up 16 goals in a game if he likes, I want to see him up with the big club, so that A) he can continue to impress and B)so Sean Burke & Bob Clarke will look like giant chumps. They're only riding Burke because if they play Antero, and he outplays Burke, Clarkie looks like a bafoon. How can you argue with that?

EDIT: nevermind, I'll never convince a member of the Bob Clarke fan club, my bad :dunno:

Bob Clarke Fan Club 02-19-2004 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capn89
As U said, I don't give a damn what he does in the AHL, he can give up 16 goals in a game if he likes, I want to see him up with the big club, so that A) he can continue to impress and B)so Sean Burke & Bob Clarke will look like giant chumps. They're only riding Burke because if they play Antero, and he outplays Burke, Clarkie looks like a bafoon. How can you argue with that?

EDIT: nevermind, I'll never convince a member of the Bob Clarke fan club, my bad :dunno:



Wow...Pure genius capn. That is one rock solid post. One question though...When your hero, Antero lets in 6 goals on 11 shots to the vaunted snipers of the AHL, how is anyone supposed to show faith at the NHL level? I guess you don't have to be held accountable so you can play anyone you want. I hope Antero gets a start also, and I hope he does well...because I'm a fan and I know better. You're a know it all that hasn't watched enough hockey to know that you have a good GM that's trying to win a Cup for a hockey community that he loves. Shame on you for spelling Buffon wrong...what does that make you? ;)

tytech 02-19-2004 01:59 PM

Once and for all
 
Esche isn't due back until next week. Therefore, Antero wasn't sent down and is still backing up Burke. Even though we all know he is the oldest guy on the team now, well past his prime and not even at .400 for his career, I say again "Antero is backing up Burke".

bb74 02-19-2004 02:09 PM

Play either, the B's are on a roll and have something to prove - ie. we are in it for first overall.

As for Burke, I got a lot of laughs about Potvin being a has been but to tell you the truth, I would feel just as good these days with a Potvin / Burke matchup in front of the B's & Philly respectively. I'm not trolling; I simply find it interesting how quickly many of the people out there turn "saint to sinner" on these guys...

capn89* 02-19-2004 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
Wow...Pure genius capn. That is one rock solid post. One question though...When your hero, Antero lets in 6 goals on 11 shots to the vaunted snipers of the AHL, how is anyone supposed to show faith at the NHL level? I guess you don't have to be held accountable so you can play anyone you want. I hope Antero gets a start also, and I hope he does well...because I'm a fan and I know better. You're a know it all that hasn't watched enough hockey to know that you have a good GM that's trying to win a Cup for a hockey community that he loves. Shame on you for spelling Buffon wrong...what does that make you? ;)

Talk to me when they win a cup this year. And as I said, unless you didn't hear it the first time, I don't give a damn what he does in the AHL. 3 games, 3 goals. Play him more, and if he ****s up, then so be it, until then, 3 games, 3 goals.

And big deal, a spelling error, does that make you special?

ObeySteve 02-19-2004 06:25 PM

Just remember, believers of a solid future for Nittymaki:

Prospects and future stars are forbidden from Clarke's long-term plans.

flyercide 02-19-2004 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vancouver_Flyers_fan
If Flyers start Niittymaki they will win against Boston. Burke Stinks right now playing him right now is like giving away 2 points we have to go with the guy who beat a team we could not beat. Niitty deserves the start.

For Clarke to justify the Comrie-Burke trade Burke better start & get on the ball. As I said before Burke wasn't our answer in goal in the past & he is most definately not now. I am still fuminginignginniinig over Burke as our goalie acquisition. Once again Clarke goes with a Cheap patch situation. Just about any of the other goalies would have been so much better here.. maybe not the Cup solution but definately better than Burke. re: Kolzig, Khabibulin, even Biron.

capn89* 02-20-2004 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObeySteve
Just remember, believers of a solid future for Nittymaki:

Prospects and future stars are forbidden from Clarke's long-term plans.

Thanks for reminding me :shakehead

capn89* 02-20-2004 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyercide
For Clarke to justify the Comrie-Burke trade Burke better start & get on the ball. As I said before Burke wasn't our answer in goal in the past & he is most definately not now. I am still fuminginignginniinig over Burke as our goalie acquisition. Once again Clarke goes with a Cheap patch situation. Just about any of the other goalies would have been so much better here.. maybe not the Cup solution but definately better than Burke. re: Kolzig, Khabibulin, even Biron.

Yeah, Burke... :joker: I bet Kolzig ends up in Colorado, and with that allstar team they have there, they win the cup. Then again, I hear Detroit :joker: needs a goalie... ;)

Pantokrator 02-20-2004 06:57 AM

Are they just going to play Burke until he lets in less than 3 goals? The reason Clarke is making all these moves is so that we can win NOW while NJ is in a funk. Instead, apparently Burke is going to be in net until he wins a game, be it now or in 2 months. This is stupid. Niitymaki was 3-0, let him at least EARN his backup status instead of forcing it on him like he has played poorly. If he plays poorly, sit him down. Until then, play him!

Chainsaw 02-20-2004 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
Wow...Pure genius capn. That is one rock solid post. One question though...When your hero, Antero lets in 6 goals on 11 shots to the vaunted snipers of the AHL, how is anyone supposed to show faith at the NHL level? I guess you don't have to be held accountable so you can play anyone you want. I hope Antero gets a start also, and I hope he does well...because I'm a fan and I know better. You're a know it all that hasn't watched enough hockey to know that you have a good GM that's trying to win a Cup for a hockey community that he loves. Shame on you for spelling Buffon wrong...what does that make you? ;)

He beat Jersey Pal!

ObeySteve 02-21-2004 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capn89
Yeah, Burke... :joker: I bet Kolzig ends up in Colorado, and with that allstar team they have there, they win the cup. Then again, I hear Detroit :joker: needs a goalie... ;)

Colorado doesn't need a goaltender, so for you to say that makes me question how much you actually know about the NHL outside of the Flyers.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.