HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speculation: Sundin (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=534778)

wangful 07-10-2008 12:46 PM

Sundin
 
vancouver only team that can still offer 10 million, then montreal and toronto

SedinFan* 07-10-2008 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wangful (Post 14821725)
vancouver only team that can still offer 10 million, then montreal and toronto

It's not about the money with him.

Vector 07-10-2008 12:48 PM

This is much better than the other thread.

Who knows how long he'll take to make his decision. Since he's the only wildcard left rumourmongers (I love that word) will have something multiple times per day, every day. Enjoy the circus folks.

Shane 07-10-2008 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeker (Post 14821734)
It's not about the money with him.

I disagree.

One thing to consider: Sundin's career NHL earnings are roughly $74,042,632 if you add up all his NHL contracts. Even when you consider a large portion of that has been paid in taxes in both Canada and Sweden (Swedes still get taxed for all income earned abroad when they return to the country, regardless that he's paid taxes in Canada and lived in Canada while he earned it), he probably isn't hurting for money.

So when he considers offers of $14 million from Montreal or $20 million from Vancouver, I'm betting the money doesn't make a big difference to him personally, but you also have to consider that Mats is quite a charitable guy like many NHLers and is very active in many charitable endeavors, most notably No More Landmines and The Canadian Landmine Foundation. That extra six million dollars is a lot of money that Mats could use for such endeavors, and I'm sure he is well aware of that.

GKJ 07-10-2008 12:49 PM

The Kings can offer him $20M....


If the CBA allowed for it

TOML 07-10-2008 12:49 PM

At least come up with a rumoured airport sighting... Jeez.

Imbroglio 07-10-2008 12:52 PM

I don't get it, where is this 'speculation' coming from? why start a new thread on this?

hototogisu 07-10-2008 12:52 PM

Gainey said flat out he wasn't going to offer 10 million for anyone, so that's a moot point even if we had the cap space.

But uh yeah why did this topic need to exist??

FrankMTL 07-10-2008 12:53 PM

LOL @ This Thread.

canuckfromtoronto 07-10-2008 12:56 PM

Pointless Thread.

Should Be Locked.

DownInFlames 07-10-2008 12:57 PM

I am going to say that Vancouver has about a 10% chance of signing him with Toronto at 50% and Montreal at 30% and 10% retirement. I just don't see him playing in Vancouver.

SedinFan* 07-10-2008 12:59 PM

He said a few days ago he's not retiring.

Gillis spoke to Sundin yesterday, so I'd increase that 10% figure.

Macke* 07-10-2008 01:00 PM

He's signing in Vancouver without a doubt

Shane 07-10-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flames 4 Life (Post 14821941)
I am going to say that Vancouver has about a 10% chance of signing him with Toronto at 50% and Montreal at 30% and 10% retirement. I just don't see him playing in Vancouver.

He's already said he won't retire, so shouldn't that be zero percent for retirement?

What are these percentages even based on? Thanks anyway, Eklund.

Bobby Lou 07-10-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flames 4 Life (Post 14821941)
I am going to say that Vancouver has about a 10% chance of signing him with Toronto at 50% and Montreal at 30% and 10% retirement. I just don't see him playing in Vancouver.

This is what I read:

"Oh my God I hope Sundin doesn't sign in Vancouver or we're screwed".

struckmatch 07-10-2008 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Lou (Post 14821993)
This is what I read:

"Oh my God I hope Sundin doesn't sign in Vancouver or we're screwed".

Exactly.

Goldthorpe 07-10-2008 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane (Post 14821763)
So when he considers offers of $14 million from Montreal or $20 million from Vancouver, I'm betting the money doesn't make a big difference to him personally, but you also have to consider that Mats is quite a charitable guy like many NHLers and is very active in many charitable endeavors, most notably No More Landmines and The Canadian Landmine Foundation. That extra six million dollars is a lot of money that Mats could use for such endeavors, and I'm sure he is well aware of that.

This is wild speculation on my part, but I wonder if Gainey could offer to give X$ to a charity if Sundin sign with Montreal, X being the amount between the Canucks offer and the habs one, and if X would still count as cap space.

I'm not necessarily thinking about this in the present Sundin context, but I would be interested to know if this is legal per the CBA.

SedinFan* 07-10-2008 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macke (Post 14821986)
He's signing in Vancouver without a doubt

This is a baseless statement. But thanks for the optimism.

GodzillaDeuce 07-10-2008 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldthorpe (Post 14822032)
This is wild speculation on my part, but I wonder if Gainey could offer to give X$ to a charity if Sundin sign with Montreal, X being the amount between the Canucks offer and the habs one, and if X would still count as cap space.

I'm not necessarily thinking about this in the present Sundin context, but I would be interested to know if this is legal per the CBA.

Interesting. That would be some sly tactics.

SedinFan* 07-10-2008 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldthorpe (Post 14822032)
This is wild speculation on my part, but I wonder if Gainey could offer to give X$ to a charity if Sundin sign with Montreal, X being the amount between the Canucks offer and the habs one, and if X would still count as cap space.

I'm not necessarily thinking about this in the present Sundin context, but I would be interested to know if this is legal per the CBA.

I'd assume that this would be illegal in the CBA...

hototogisu 07-10-2008 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldthorpe (Post 14822032)
This is wild speculation on my part, but I wonder if Gainey could offer to give X$ to a charity if Sundin sign with Montreal, X being the amount between the Canucks offer and the habs one, and if X would still count as cap space.

I'm not necessarily thinking about this in the present Sundin context, but I would be interested to know if this is legal per the CBA.

I really don't think so.

DownInFlames 07-10-2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Lou (Post 14821993)
This is what I read:

"Oh my God I hope Sundin doesn't sign in Vancouver or we're screwed".

You'd be better but we'd be far from screwed. You'd still have perhaps the softest team in the NHL.

AK27fan 07-10-2008 01:09 PM

If Sundin don't retire...he's coming to Montreal...I've even heard that Gainey and Mats have met several times in the past few days...

SedinFan* 07-10-2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK27fan (Post 14822183)
If Sundin don't retire...he's coming to Montreal...I've even heard that Gainey and Mats have met several times in the past few days...

For the 1900 time, he has said he's not retiring.

LesCanadiens 07-10-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK27fan (Post 14822183)
If Sundin don't retire...he's coming to Montreal...I've even heard that Gainey and Mats have met several times in the past few days...

Where from? I haven't heard that anywhere.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.