HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Duane Sutter leaves Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=534955)

Dread Clawz 07-10-2008 08:50 PM

Duane Sutter leaves Panthers

He's been named the new DPD for the Flames. Shocker. Just saw it on the NHL network ticker.

Too bad. I liked Duane.

Montsy14 07-10-2008 09:20 PM

What was his position in the Panthers organization??

Dread Clawz 07-10-2008 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montsy14 (Post 14829043)
What was his position in the Panthers organization??

director of player development

Montsy14 07-11-2008 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterBouw (Post 14829554)
director of player development

Geez, that's unfortunate.

Acadmus 07-11-2008 09:08 AM

I'm going to say this is another move that raises eyebrows - Sutter takes the same job with another team, when he wasn't reported to be on the outs with Florida?

Okay, I guess I understand Nieuwendyk wanting to go back to Toronto, but he wasn't happy with the "direction" Florida was taking when he left...now Sutter, who again I can sort of understand wanting to work in Calgary, only the nature of his job is he travels a lot anyway...:shakehead

Something smells here.

wint 07-11-2008 09:08 AM

Meh. Doesn't speak well for us, but name one young player other than David Booth who has been "developed" up to his potential. I think a few changes like this throughout the organization could be good, provided JM finds a new-blood replacement a la DeBoer.

Acadmus 07-11-2008 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wint (Post 14834067)
Meh. Doesn't speak well for us, but name one young player other than David Booth who has been "developed" up to his potential. I think a few changes like this throughout the organization could be good, provided JM finds a new-blood replacement a la DeBoer.

Greg Campbell? Kamil Kreps? Kristian Huselius? Niklas Hagman?

I think if you look over the Panthers' draft history since Sutter's been director of player development he's not had a lot to work with that isn't already in the NHL, and since the team's not had much of a development program, he had neither the raw material to work with nor the tools.

But, in defense of your position, Sutter wasn't a great coach for us, either.

pb1300 07-11-2008 09:56 AM

Anything think that maybe he just wanted to join his brother up there? Not that big of a shock IMO.

Georgia Panther 07-11-2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Race against NINE (Post 14834065)
Something smells here.

Martin? Yormark? Cohen?

or perhaps he just missed Mike?:D

PS-Anybody else surprised that Jack Birch, a Keenan crony, is still on the payroll?

Booth10 07-11-2008 10:36 AM

His family lives in Calgary and his two brothers work and run Calgary. Isnt it obvious why he would want to work there, if they offered him a job.

zeroG 07-11-2008 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Race against NINE (Post 14834065)
I'm going to say this is another move that raises eyebrows - Sutter takes the same job with another team, when he wasn't reported to be on the outs with Florida?

Okay, I guess I understand Nieuwendyk wanting to go back to Toronto, but he wasn't happy with the "direction" Florida was taking when he left...now Sutter, who again I can sort of understand wanting to work in Calgary, only the nature of his job is he travels a lot anyway...:shakehead

Something smells here.

there was something else going on with the newy situation - we had an insider post something along the lines of him wanting the GM position and leaving when it was clear JM was going to be forced to take it over the coaching position he loved so much. no it looks like he's stepping into a position in TO where he can be groomed to become their next GM.

it seems he did an OK job but i think there is room for improvement in this area (as well as scouting).

Tuco 07-11-2008 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Race against NINE (Post 14834357)
Greg Campbell? Kamil Kreps? Kristian Huselius? Niklas Hagman?

I think if you look over the Panthers' draft history since Sutter's been director of player development he's not had a lot to work with that isn't already in the NHL, and since the team's not had much of a development program, he had neither the raw material to work with nor the tools.

While the second paragraph in your message has merit to it - it's still really hard to cry over loosing this guy. If your list is supposed to wake some "oh yeah, Sutter really developed those guys well" -feeling, it didn't do the trick for me.

Campbell? What is he now excactly that can be seen as developing better than expectations?

Kreps? Projected second line center on a team with no first line, or a respectable third line center to battle it out with. (McLean is supposed to play first line wing, if I gather correct from this board)

Huselius? He was great before he came to NHL in SEL. He was very good his first year in NHL and then it all went downhill, until he left. How does that look good in Suter's resume?

Hagman? His development stalled big-time until he was moved to Dallas.

Good riddance. For once I congratulate Martin for a good move.

Acadmus 07-11-2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuco (Post 14837716)
While the second paragraph in your message has merit to it - it's still really hard to cry over loosing this guy. If your list is supposed to wake some "oh yeah, Sutter really developed those guys well" -feeling, it didn't do the trick for me.

Campbell? What is he now excactly that can be seen as developing better than expectations?

Kreps? Projected second line center on a team with no first line, or a respectable third line center to battle it out with. (McLean is supposed to play first line wing, if I gather correct from this board)

Huselius? He was great before he came to NHL in SEL. He was very good his first year in NHL and then it all went downhill, until he left. How does that look good in Suter's resume?

Hagman? His development stalled big-time until he was moved to Dallas.

Good riddance. For once I congratulate Martin for a good move.

Sorry, I thought you'd said "who had developed to expectations" - but Hus and Hagman didn't until they left the organization, and Kreps hasn't yet. Only Campbell has lived up to expectations (realistic ones anyway).

I'm not crying over his departure at all - but it still makes me wonder if there's some poison pill within the Panthers' organization that is making some people want to leave.

Tuco 07-11-2008 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Race against NINE (Post 14839240)
Sorry, I thought you'd said "who had developed to expectations" - but Hus and Hagman didn't until they left the organization, and Kreps hasn't yet. Only Campbell has lived up to expectations (realistic ones anyway).

I'm not crying over his departure at all - but it still makes me wonder if there's some poison pill within the Panthers' organization that is making some people want to leave.

It wasn't me earlier, I just jumped in.

Poison pill - could be...

Rattrick 07-11-2008 05:03 PM

Looks like Jack Birch is going to be taking over for Duane Sutter:

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa.../its-jack.html

Georgia Panther 07-11-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgia Panther (Post 14834796)
PS-Anybody else surprised that Jack Birch, a Keenan crony, is still on the payroll?

Methinks that Jack Birch has done some serious sucking up the past few years since JM has replaced :bow: THE HOCKEY GOD :bow: . Oh well, another former crony Mike won't be on speaking terms with. :pout:

jol 07-12-2008 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Race against NINE (Post 14834357)

Probably not but his hands were really tied. I remember one game, game went to overtime and he had to ask upstairs if he can go with four forwards.
Also he was in some weird situation, he started as a head coach and he was paid as scout, then signed as head coach, got fired and continued working as scout, getting head coach's salary.

JOL