HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Steve Montador (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=534961)

Sean Garrity 07-10-2008 08:23 PM

Steve Montador

It appears he has signed with the ducks and unless im mistaken he was on florida last year. Do you guys have any insight to his game? On the board we assume its just a number six or seven dman, but aren't sure if there is more potential there.

Montsy14 07-10-2008 08:29 PM

He can play forward as well...works hard, good character guy..

Danny Tanner* 07-10-2008 08:30 PM

he's definitely good enough to play every day. he's pretty good actually for a #5 d man, but when his workload gets to be too much is when he seems to struggle.

he's that guy that you see as a #5 and say to yourself...man...he looks pretty good. but when you put him in the role of a top-4 player he struggles with it.

if you need to classify him, he's a #5 d man whos a great teammate, physical, will fight anyone to protect teamates and actually has some offensive skills. he's not flashy at all in anything he does, but he plays with alot of balls and has great puck poise, so when he's pressured he doesn't panic and makes good decisions. he had 25+ points last year and was consistently on our PP...so he has a bit of offense in him.

if the ducks did sign him, however, i think you'll be surprised as to what he got...because with what's been going around lately, i wouldn't be surprised at all to see him end up with $2+ mil per year. i'm almost expecting that.

Beezer 07-10-2008 08:31 PM

Has alot of heart and competes!!! Also sticks up for his teamates!!!

Beezer 07-10-2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Tanner (Post 14829206)
he's definitely good enough to play every day. he's pretty good actually for a #5 d man, but when his workload gets to be too much is when he seems to struggle.

he's that guy that you see as a #5 and say to yourself...man...he looks pretty good. but when you put him in the role of a top-4 player he struggles with it.

if you need to classify him, he's a #5 d man whos a great teammate, physical, will fight anyone to protect teamates and actually has some offensive skills. he had 25+ points last year and was consistently on our PP.

if the ducks did sign him, however, i think you'll be surprised as to what he got...because with what's been going around lately, i wouldn't be surprised at all to see him end up with $2+ mil per year. i'm almost expecting that.

That's way too much for him IMO but only because he is a bottom 2 line player!!!

SteveDangle 07-10-2008 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montsy14 (Post 14829178)

Agreed. Good utility guy, good grit, and good team player. If I'm not mistaken he's a member of "Right to Play" as well.

Beezer 07-10-2008 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montsy14 (Post 14829178)

And although he didn't do many shootouts for us last year he did score on Luongo in a shootout just like he use too in practice when Louie was a Panther!!!

Danny Tanner* 07-10-2008 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beezer (Post 14829241)
That's way too much for him IMO but only because he is a bottom 2 line player!!!

i agree....but if he would have accepted less ($1.5 mil) i think he would have already been re-signed....he wanted to stay here but knows this is his chance for a pretty nice payday.

jglenn001 07-10-2008 08:47 PM

I'll miss Monty, great guy to have on any team.

Dread Clawz 07-10-2008 08:59 PM

He's got a pretty good shot too, Ducks fans will probably be surprised by it.

ratmanfu 07-10-2008 09:15 PM

Monty was a great character guy last season. Definitely gonna miss him and the versatility he brought to the team.

Ghoste 07-10-2008 09:29 PM

GR has Anaheim signing Monty to a one-year deal worth $800,000.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...nty-mouse.html

-ghoste

Danny Tanner* 07-10-2008 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghoste (Post 14830030)
GR has Monty signing with Anaheim for $800,000.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...nty-mouse.html

-ghoste

wow. really good move by anaheim then imo.

Heimy 07-10-2008 09:41 PM

That's a pretty good rundown on Monty. The only thing I'll add is he's got a nice set of wheels. If he accepted 800k you got your money's worth...and that's not something I'd easily say with some of the signings we're seeing. I see him as less than but comparable to Mike Commodore.

Laus723 07-10-2008 09:57 PM

Solid, character guy, will give his all game in and game out, great shot, great on the PK, and improved last season.

He'll be missed, but at least he's on my second favorite team.

Desert Panther 07-10-2008 10:10 PM

For 800K, I'd rather we resigned him. He's a valuable utility player at that price ..

Dread Clawz 07-10-2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Panther (Post 14830575)
For 800K, I'd rather we resigned him. He's a valuable utility player at that price ..

I agree, I would have liked to see him back, but no room for him though.

RoadDoggFL 07-10-2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterBouw (Post 14830621)
I agree, I would have liked to see him back, but no room for him though.

I'd Peltonen plays a minute in a Panthers sweater, there was room for him.

Sean Garrity 07-10-2008 10:59 PM

wow, I expected to hear not good things about him. Sounds like he could be a solid bottom pairing guy(our top pairings are basically set from the past 2 years). Burke is big on character guys so this seems to fit well. All in all, sounds like a great signing by Burke, and that we wont be getting any NHL ready DMEN for Schneider.

Thanks to all of you

Ghoste 07-10-2008 11:17 PM

It sux to lose Monty, especially at $800,000. I would rather dump Pelts and his $1.2 million. We definitely lost some overall character and team toughness here. He also had one of the better slap shots on the team. Hopefully we keep his hero cape idea.

Have a good one here in Cali!

-ghoste

snarktacular 07-10-2008 11:58 PM

Hey guys. Just to get it straight, how much did he play at F and how much at D? And repeat the question, but roughly how many of the 23 points were scored as a F compared to at D?

He has the PP point spread of a defenseman, so did he mostly play the points on the PP? On the other hand he has the ES point spread of a forward.

Thanks in advance.

RoadDoggFL 07-11-2008 01:31 AM

Uhh, I think he roughly split the season between offense and defense. 1st half defense, 2nd half offense... but that's just my guess.

Acadmus 07-11-2008 05:05 AM

I can't believe Florida didn't resign him when all it took was $800k - California's got hideous taxes and a higher cost of living - the same $800k should have gotten him to stay in Florida. Means either Martin didn't try, or Monty didn't want to stay in Pantherland.

Lola 07-11-2008 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Race against NINE (Post 14833408)
I can't believe Florida didn't resign him when all it took was $800k - California's got hideous taxes and a higher cost of living - the same $800k should have gotten him to stay in Florida. Means either Martin didn't try, or Monty didn't want to stay in Pantherland.

This was my first thought as well. $800k for one year in California....who is his agent?

I will miss Monty. I hope he succeeds with the Ducks.

Thunderheart 07-11-2008 09:04 AM

Really Makes You Wonder!

Team can not sign Montador for $800K??? He signs in California over staying a Panther! Appears that JM did not try very hard to re-sign him or another case of wanting to get out of Dodge (ie., Bou) :))
Thunderheart