HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Was Drury a bad signing? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=535747)

Choice 07-13-2008 01:20 PM

Was Drury a bad signing?

Over 7mm a year, for a guy who should either be our third line center or second line winger. He has never topped 70 points in a season. Who would you rather have, Drury at 7 mil or Avery at 4 mil?

The best defense of the Drury signing I can think of is that our organization was totally bereft of centers, and it probably would still be a weak spot until Artem A is ready.

Bleed Ranger Blue 07-13-2008 01:23 PM

Drury is wildly overpaid...theres no way around that.

Id still much rather go to war with a guy like him compared to Avery, however.

HockeyBasedNYC 07-13-2008 01:26 PM

I'd rather have Drury.

BrooklynRangersFan 07-13-2008 01:30 PM

I'd rather have Drury - but of all of the contracts we have on the books, I think this is the worst.

RinkOnEStreet 07-13-2008 01:34 PM

I'll take Chris Drury on my team any day, regardless of how overpaid he may be. The guy is likely to be our captain for the foreseeable future, and I'm thrilled about that.

HockeyStickHomicide 07-13-2008 01:34 PM

I think he will be a good person to have in the locker room. Not worth that much on the ice though.

beastly115 07-13-2008 01:36 PM

Yep, Drury's contract is horrible.

I'd take Avery.

FLYLine24 07-13-2008 01:36 PM

Drury brings a lot more then just points.

Leadership, Clutchness (thats not a word, I just made it up...I guess that can go into leadership though), great defensive play, faceoff expert etc...

He's is overpaid yes, but he is our captain, and he will be for the next 6-7 years...(well not officially announced but we all know it).

Plus it took him half a season last year to get used to a new team, the 2nd half of the year he was one of our best players. Thats the Chris Drury that signed with the team.

The reason he didnt score any of the clutch goals in the playoffs is because he didnt grow the famous Clutch Beard, next season he better have that thing in full force.

Choice 07-13-2008 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RinkOnEStreet (Post 14857208)
I'll take Chris Drury on my team any day, regardless of how overpaid he may be. The guy is likely to be our captain for the foreseeable future, and I'm thrilled about that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyStickHomicide (Post 14857210)
I think he will be a good person to have in the locker room. Not worth that much on the ice though.

I'm not in the locker room and the highest level I've ever played is college club, so I can't really speak on how much the leadership stuff is worth. But I'd rather sacrifice cap space for on-ice contribution as opposed to off.

Choice 07-13-2008 01:38 PM

Or another question, would you rather have Drury at 7 mm per for the next 5 years, or Jagr at 6 for the next two? Clutch or not, Jagr is clearly the better player even at this stage of his career.

Trxjw 07-13-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choice (Post 14857245)
Or another question, would you rather have Drury at 7 mm per for the next 5 years, or Jagr at 6 for the next two? Clutch or not, Jagr is clearly the better player even at this stage of his career.

Drury.

How do you get to the assumption that he should be our 3rd line center or 2nd line winger?

FLYLine24 07-13-2008 01:41 PM

BTW

Final 31 games last reg season Drury had 13G/13A/26P. Took him a bit to get going but he adjusted to his new team midway through.

He averages that many points per game then he'll be right back where he was in Buffalo with around 65-70 points.

Choice 07-13-2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trxjw (Post 14857268)
Drury.

How do you get to the assumption that he should be our 3rd line center or 2nd line winger?

Gomez 1, Dubinsky should probably be 2.

Trxjw 07-13-2008 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choice (Post 14857289)
Gomez 1, Dubinsky should probably be 2.

And your reasoning behind Dubi as the 2nd line center is.. what?

KRM 07-13-2008 01:45 PM

Overpaid? Yes. But I rather have Drury at 7 then Avery at 4. Drury is this teams captain for many years to come, and an important part of the system we play.

Choice 07-13-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88 (Post 14857227)
Drury brings a lot more then just points.

Leadership, Clutchness (thats not a word, I just made it up...I guess that can go into leadership though), great defensive play, faceoff expert etc...

He's is overpaid yes, but he is our captain, and he will be for the next 6-7 years...(well not officially announced but we all know it).

Plus it took him half a season last year to get used to a new team, the 2nd half of the year he was one of our best players. Thats the Chris Drury that signed with the team.

The reason he didnt score any of the clutch goals in the playoffs is because he didnt grow the famous Clutch Beard, next season he better have that thing in full force.

Great D and faceoff skills are nice, but 7+ mil contracts should go to gamebreaking offensive players IMO.

Choice 07-13-2008 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trxjw (Post 14857294)
And your reasoning behind Dubi as the 2nd line center is.. what?

Performance in last year's playoffs. Granted we'll see how he does without Jagr.

RangersFan 07-13-2008 01:54 PM

Brutal, absolutely brutal contract. that said we benefit from having many younger players with small contracts on the roster as well as a good farm system.

Trxjw 07-13-2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choice (Post 14857302)
Great D and faceoff skills are nice, but 7+ mil contracts should go to gamebreaking offensive players IMO.

Drury lead the team in game winning goals last season. I think you're confusing game breaker with someone who simply puts up a ton of points.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choice (Post 14857373)
Performance in last year's playoffs. Granted we'll see how he does without Jagr.

2 more points playing on the first line with Jagr? Plus Drury was playing injured.

The Thomas J.* 07-13-2008 02:02 PM

Avery made am immediate contribution when he was traded to the Rangers, Drury kind of started off slow, but at one point was averaging a point a game.

Everyone looks at points per game to justify a huge contract, there are some players that are singed just to score goals & put up assists (ie..Bure), Drury is not that type of signing, in addition to his goals & assists, he is a two way center, & our soon to be Captain.

While both Players bring intangabiles & immediate short term impacts to the Rangers, you need to look past short term & I would Rather have Drury.

alkurtz 07-13-2008 02:10 PM

You have to look beyond the raw stats and appreciate all else that he does off the ice and all the subtle and unnoticed things he does on the ice. Watching him closely the 2nd half of the year made truly appreciate him. The guy is a winner, plain and simple and I'm thrilled he's on our team and will be the captain.

FutureGM97 07-13-2008 02:10 PM

Chris Drury over Sean Avery absolutely. Drury brings more to the table on the ice than just scoring. His defensive abilities, PK, faceoff, and willingness to stand in front of the net are all things worth paying for.

Son of Steinbrenner 07-13-2008 02:12 PM

I'd easily take Drury over Avery and my stance on Avery is well known here...

Drury brings more to the table and is a BETTER hockey player...

I don't know why it's Drury or Avery?

Levitate 07-13-2008 02:12 PM

Overpaid, but brings a lot to the team besides points. I think he'll also rebound well this year and hopefully have wingers that work better with him. He never had wingers that complimented him well last year, I think.

While they're both overpaid, I think I could justify Drury being worth $3 mill more than Avery...

Celestial Black 07-13-2008 02:25 PM

FA market leads to tons of bad signing but that's just how things work.