HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Western Conf. teams a problem for Rangers in 08-09? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=535921)

McMonster 07-13-2008 11:37 PM

Last season, the Rangers were 1-10 against Western Conference teams and the only team they beat from the West was the Sharks. Was this just a coincidence? Or were the Rangers struggling against these teams for a reason?

Do you think this can be a problem for the Rangers next season especially because we will be versing every Western team?

battlerex99 07-13-2008 11:42 PM

Different team this year. We'll see how we do.

FLYLine24* 07-13-2008 11:43 PM

Like the above poster said, we have a completely different team.

Our style of play was not cut out for the western conference last year at all.

NYR Viper 07-13-2008 11:45 PM

i dont think so as the rangers added depth and size up front.....the west is grittier than the east so i like the additions of rissmiller and voros up front

Gardner McKay 07-14-2008 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante76 (Post 14863120)
Last season, the Rangers were 1-10 against Western Conference teams and the only team they beat from the West was the Sharks. Was this just a coincidence? Or were the Rangers struggling against these teams for a reason?

Do you think this can be a problem for the Rangers next season especially because we will be versing every Western team?

We have to premier players from the Western conference on offense... Im sure we will be fine?

Jaromir Jagr 07-14-2008 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYLine88 (Post 14863187)
Like the above poster said, we have a completely different team.

Our style of play was not cut out for the western conference last year at all.

And that's exactly the reason.

With a more speed-oriented game and run-and-gun style, I believe we will be more competitive with the Western Conference teams. If we aren't - ultimately we better play very well inside our own Conference because with the new scheduling that can only mean bad things (seeing as we are playing each Western Conference team at least once, and two teams twice - I believe).

Ola 07-14-2008 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante76 (Post 14863120)

The year before we actually played pretty well against the western teams.

If you break it down -- we played our worst hockey of the season at a time we went on a 5-6 game road trip to the west. I wonder if we had won many of thoose games even if we played against Eastern teams? We sucked before and after that trip to.

11 games isn't a big sample.

Ola 07-14-2008 06:46 AM

Especially Lundqvist really struggled on that road trip...

Cermi 07-14-2008 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Staal (Post 14864975)
And that's exactly the reason.

With a more speed-oriented game and run-and-gun style, I believe we will be more competitive with the Western Conference teams. If we aren't - ultimately we better play very well inside our own Conference because with the new scheduling that can only mean bad things (seeing as we are playing each Western Conference team at least once, and two teams twice - I believe).

I think we are playing three teams from the Western Conference twice. (6x4=24 - division, 4x10=40 - eastern conference, 18 (1x12 + 2x3) western conference)

NYR Viper 07-14-2008 10:41 AM

are the rangers playing dallas?.....that would be interesting

The Thomas J.* 07-14-2008 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 (Post 14866552)

I hope so.

BDubinskyNYR17* 07-14-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 (Post 14866552)

too bad they have avery. maybe we can snag ott away from them, ott for hollweg and prucha whos with me :handclap:

NYR Viper 07-14-2008 11:34 AM

i heard neil is available....might bea valid option.......that is if the rangers were to get rid of about 8 borderline nhlers and extras they already have

Stepan Razor 07-14-2008 11:47 AM

who knows, 11 games is certainly not a large enough sample size to determine how we matched up against the west.

Forechecker 07-14-2008 11:48 AM

Early word is Dallas is coming to the Garden this year.

Burlington Bomb 26 07-14-2008 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forechecker (Post 14867246)
Early word is Dallas is coming to the Garden this year.

let the mixed avery cheers and boo's begin.

Burlington Bomb 26 07-14-2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCallahan43 (Post 14866675)
too bad they have avery. maybe we can snag ott away from them, ott for hollweg and prucha whos with me :handclap:

that is possibly one of the worst idea's i've heard. Ott, a crappy 4th/3rd liner for Prucha who will get 18+ goals this year, and Hollweg, who is on-par with ott.

RangerBlue62 07-14-2008 12:46 PM

Naslund - Gomez - Zherdev
Dawes - Dubinsky - Drury
Korpedo/Prucha - Fritsche - Callahan
Rissmiller - Betts - Sjostrom
Voros
Orr

Redden - Staal
Rozsival - Mara
Girardi - Kalinin

If Korpikoski proves himself in training camp, Prucha is expendable and should prob be moved. I don't see Renney using Prucha in the right situation again in order for him to reach his career best 30 goals. Hollweg also needs to be nowhere near this team. Hopefully he's shoved down in Hartford because with the additions of Rissmiller and Voros, he is absolutely not needed.

This is a team that would do much better against the western conference IMHO. This team is a lot faster than last year's version, and also the additions of voros and rissmiller add a lot of grit to the lineup. It's interesting all of Sather's forward acquisitions this year played out West last year. Maybe he knows something we don't?

NYR Viper 07-14-2008 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptMessier11 (Post 14868346)
Naslund - Gomez - Zherdev
Dawes - Dubinsky - Drury
Korpedo/Prucha - Fritsche - Callahan
Rissmiller - Betts - Sjostrom
Voros
Orr

Redden - Staal
Rozsival - Mara
Girardi - Kalinin

If Korpikoski proves himself in training camp, Prucha is expendable and should prob be moved. I don't see Renney using Prucha in the right situation again in order for him to reach his career best 30 goals. Hollweg also needs to be nowhere near this team. Hopefully he's shoved down in Hartford because with the additions of Rissmiller and Voros, he is absolutely not needed.

This is a team that would do much better against the western conference IMHO. This team is a lot faster than last year's version, and also the additions of voros and rissmiller add a lot of grit to the lineup. It's interesting all of Sather's forward acquisitions this year played out West last year. Maybe he knows something we don't?

switch the 3rd and 4th lines around and i agree.....

voros-fritsche-rissmiller
sjostrom-betts-callahan
orr, prucha

adds size and forechecking ability to the bottom two lines, although i really think dubi will be on the third line and fritsche will be on the second line with drury as he is the type of player drury plays well with....big guy who likes to forecheck....

DontStepanMe 07-14-2008 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 (Post 14868788)
switch the 3rd and 4th lines around and i agree.....

voros-fritsche-rissmiller
sjostrom-betts-callahan
orr, prucha

adds size and forechecking ability to the bottom two lines, although i really think dubi will be on the third line and fritsche will be on the second line with drury as he is the type of player drury plays well with....big guy who likes to forecheck....

just curious but why would you put two players w/ offensive potential (cally, sjo) w/ w/ maybe the worst offensive center in hockey thus negating their offense, and put two players w/ very limited offensive potential w/ a center who has some offensive potential thus negating that.

Sjo-Fritsche-Cally
Rissmiller-Betts-orr/Voros

would make more sense on the bottom 6. this way you would have three lines who can score, and one who doesn't rather than only 2 lines like you put up.

NYR Viper 07-14-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rags225 (Post 14869220)
just curious but why would you put two players w/ offensive potential (cally, sjo) w/ w/ maybe the worst offensive center in hockey thus negating their offense, and put two players w/ very limited offensive potential w/ a center who has some offensive potential thus negating that.

Sjo-Fritsche-Cally
Rissmiller-Betts-orr/Voros

would make more sense on the bottom 6. this way you would have three lines who can score, and one who doesn't rather than only 2 lines like you put up.

i did it because i dont see callahan as having much offensive potential at the nhl level.....also, i think voros has more offensive ability than many believe.........lastly with the loss of shanahan, straka and avery i think players like sjostrom, callahan, betts and drury will be getting more and more pk time, which adds up when it is a physical game, like the rangers play....so in most instances i would see the third line and the 4th line only having a couple minutes difference in ice time