HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Let's Play...Reshuffle the NHL! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=536000)

Forechecker 07-14-2008 10:49 AM

Let's Play...Reshuffle the NHL!
 
I've been thinking about this for a while, and the combination of a dull Monday and the post below about league contraction made it seem like as good a time as any.

So, I believe that the league will never contract, because they don't want to lose the revenue. BUT, I do think it's realistic to believe that over time teams will be encouraged to move to better hockey markets.

The game is this: 1) Maintaining a 30 team, move teams to any markets as long as the East/West balance remains. The only teams you CANNOT move are Original Six teams. 2) recreate the divisions in the way you want to see them, and 3) create your ideal playoff seeding/format.

Since there are probably limited iterations to this, I'll take the first 15 original leagues from this thread and create 3 polls of 5 teams. We'll take the top 2 vote getters from each poll and have a run off. The resulting league will be the "Official New NHL of the Rangers HF Board" or something silly like that. Maybe we'll even do a poll for best new team name.

Please feel free to expand on why you moved a team and the how you chose the location. So, have at it, and I'm happy to amend the game if people wish.

So, Forechecker's new NHL:

http://hfboards.com/attachment.php?a...1&d=1216050372


Regular Season: Play your conference 6 times (60 games); play 5 teams from other two conferences twice (home and home; 20 games); final two games against "natural" or "traditional" opponents

Playoffs: Top 16 teams regardless of conference; Playoff format is 2-3-2 to minimize travel


Rationale:
  • Atlanta and Phoenix moved to markets that have strong AHL/Junior teams and could support a major leage team
  • Columbus and Florida moved to bigger or more natural hockey markets. Indy has only one pro team; Cleveland move for bigger market and potential TV draw
  • Islanders moved due to no stadium deal, and Seattle needs new winter team to replace Super Sonics
  • Hurricanes move is a bold and risky move for NHL, but is first pro team to take the leap to Vegas.
I tried to align conferences to lessen travel burdens and create some new rivalry groups (Chicag, Detroit, Indy, Cleveland/Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, Calgary).

MasonRanger 07-14-2008 10:54 AM

One issue: Cleveland has no hoops? I don't like the NBA but I do know who Lebron James is.

Forechecker 07-14-2008 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasonRanger (Post 14866664)
One issue: Cleveland has no hoops? I don't like the NBA but I do know who Lebron James is.

I was thinking Indy, oops!

Fletch 07-14-2008 10:58 AM

Here you go...
 
Prince of Wales Conference

Adams Division

Boston Bruins
Quebec Nordiques
Montreal Canadiens
Buffalo Sabres
Hartford Whalers
Ottawa Senators

Patrick Division

Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals
New York Islanders
New Jersey Devils
Philadelphia Flyers
New York Rangers

Clarence Campbell Conference

Norris Division

Chicago Blackhawks
Detroit Red Wings
Toronto Maple Leafs
St. Louis Blues
Minnesota North Stars

Smythe Division

Vancouver Canucks
Calgary Flames
Los Angeles Kings
Winnipeg Jets
Edmonton Oilers

Forechecker 07-14-2008 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 14866705)
Prince of Wales Conference

Adams Division

Boston Bruins
Quebec Nordiques
Montreal Canadiens
Buffalo Sabres
Hartford Whalers
Ottawa Senators

Patrick Division

Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals
New York Islanders
New Jersey Devils
Philadelphia Flyers
New York Rangers

Clarence Campbell Conference

Norris Division

Chicago Blackhawks
Detroit Red Wings
Toronto Maple Leafs
St. Louis Blues
Minnesota North Stars

Smythe Division

Vancouver Canucks
Calgary Flames
Los Angeles Kings
Winnipeg Jets
Edmonton Oilers

If you're gonna play, follow the rules! 30 team league!

FutureGM97 07-14-2008 11:08 AM

if Phoenix is going to be moved by everyone...which i have a feeling it will be...as long as they move to Hartford I am fine with it...Winnipeg isn't bad either.

Forechecker 07-14-2008 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FutureGM97 (Post 14866795)
if Phoenix is going to be moved by everyone...which i have a feeling it will be...as long as they move to Hartford I am fine with it...Winnipeg isn't bad either.

I was thinking Winnipeg, but I believe the NHL will push for new markets first.

DontStepanMe 07-14-2008 11:18 AM

East:

1.NY Rangers
2. NY Isles
3. NJD
4. Philly
5. Pitt
6. ottawa
7. TB
8. Wash
9. Boston
10. Montreal
11. Toronto
12. Hartford (From CAR)
13. Hamilton (from FLA)
14. Atlanta
15. Buffalo (but wearing the old school uni's)

West:
1. Detroit
2. Columbus
3. Chicago
4. Dallas
5. Minn
6. SJ
7. EDM
8. CAL
9. COL
10. STL
11. LAK
12. VAN
13. Seattle (from PHX)
14. Winnepeg (from NSH)
15. Kansas City (ANH)

Poozer 07-14-2008 11:28 AM

Not going to fully partake, but I would love a team to move back to Hartford. I live about 20 minutes away, and despite being a lifelong Rangers fan, it would be great to go to games in a market where the tickets/train ticket don't cost me a weeks pay (full-time student).

Hell I'd consider getting season tickets if they were priced like say, Caps/Lightning tickets are.

Not overly optimistic of this happening though, guess I will just stick with the Wolf Pack

rangerfan2 07-14-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 14866705)
Prince of Wales Conference

Adams Division

Boston Bruins
Quebec Nordiques
Montreal Canadiens
Buffalo Sabres
Hartford Whalers
Ottawa Senators

Patrick Division

Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals
New York Islanders
New Jersey Devils
Philadelphia Flyers
New York Rangers

Clarence Campbell Conference

Norris Division

Chicago Blackhawks
Detroit Red Wings
Toronto Maple Leafs
St. Louis Blues
Minnesota North Stars

Smythe Division

Vancouver Canucks
Calgary Flames
Los Angeles Kings
Winnipeg Jets
Edmonton Oilers

Righteous!

I Eat Crow 07-14-2008 12:14 PM

Here's how I'd do it.....

East

Northeast:

NJ Devils
NY Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Hartford Whalers (Formerly Florida Panthers)
Boston Bruins


Eastern Canadian:

Toronto Maple Leafs
Montreal Canadians
Ottawa Senators
Hamilton Icedogs (formerly New York Islanders)
Buffalo Sabres

Atlantic:

Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals
Tampa Bay Lightning
Carolina Hurricanes
Nashville Predators


West

Central:

Detroit Red Wings
Columbus Blue Jackets
Chicago Blackhawks
Colorado Avalanche
St. Louis Blues

Western Canadian:

Vancouver Canucks
Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
Winnepeg Jets (formerly Atlanta Thrashers)
Minnesota Wild

Southwest:

Anaheim Ducks
LA Kings
San Jose Sharks
Dallas Stars
Phoenix Coyotes



Playoffs:

Top 2 teams from each division automatically make the playoffs and are seeded by point totals from 1-6. The last 2 spots in each conference will be decided by a "wild card" format, where the next 2 teams with the highest point totals get the last 2 playoff spots seeded 7 and 8. Playoff format will be the same; best of 7 series all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Continuous OT will still apply in the event of a tie. However, the first OT period will start 4 vs. 4, just as in the regular season. If still tied after the first OT, the rest of the game will be played 3 vs. 3.

Forechecker 07-14-2008 12:17 PM

I like it Crow. It'll be interesting to see which teams get shifted around as more people play. I think mine will probably be the most radical.

NYR Viper 07-14-2008 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Eat Crow (Post 14867749)
Here's how I'd do it.....

East

Northeast:

NJ Devils
NY Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Hartford Whalers (Formerly Florida Panthers)
Boston Bruins


Eastern Canadian:

Toronto Maple Leafs
Montreal Canadians
Ottawa Senators
Hamilton Icedogs (formerly New York Islanders)
Buffalo Sabres

Atlantic:

Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals
Tampa Bay Lightning
Carolina Hurricanes
Nashville Predators


West

Central:

Detroit Red Wings
Columbus Blue Jackets
Chicago Blackhawks
Colorado Avalanche
St. Louis Blues

Western Canadian:

Vancouver Canucks
Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
Winnepeg Jets (formerly Atlanta Thrashers)
Minnesota Wild

Southwest:

Anaheim Ducks
LA Kings
San Jose Sharks
Dallas Stars
Phoenix Coyotes



Playoffs:

Top 2 teams from each division automatically make the playoffs and are seeded by point totals from 1-6. The last 2 spots in each conference will be decided by a "wild card" format, where the next 2 teams with the highest point totals get the last 2 playoff spots seeded 7 and 8. Playoff format will be the same; best of 7 series all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Continuous OT will still apply in the event of a tie. However, the first OT period will start 4 vs. 4, just as in the regular season. If still tied after the first OT, the rest of the game will be played 3 vs. 3.

i like everything you said there, except i dont think hamilton could support an nhl team.........with buffalo 2 hours away, and toronto 1 hour away i think they may find it hard to draw fans........also, do you mean 4v4 and then 3v3 in the regular season?.......i like the way the playoffs is because it is so dramatic and everyone plays

beastly115 07-14-2008 12:30 PM

As a Rangers fan transplanted in Florida, I'd like to give a big http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/sa...smiley-009.gif to those of you who eliminated both Florida franchises.

I Eat Crow 07-14-2008 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 (Post 14867905)
i like everything you said there, except i dont think hamilton could support an nhl team.........with buffalo 2 hours away, and toronto 1 hour away i think they may find it hard to draw fans........also, do you mean 4v4 and then 3v3 in the regular season?.......i like the way the playoffs is because it is so dramatic and everyone plays

I meant in the playoffs, simply because the games are played every other day, and having a double OT game or two in the series takes a huge toll on the players.

Having this for the regular season isn't a bad idea either. Instead of after a period, every 5 minutes a player will be taken off. So after 5 minutes, it would be 3 vs. 3 until a goal is scored from the 4 vs. 4 in the first 5 minutes of OT, eliminating the shootout.

NYR Viper 07-14-2008 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Eat Crow (Post 14868317)
I meant in the playoffs, simply because the games are played every other day, and having a double OT game or two in the series takes a huge toll on the players.

Having this for the regular season isn't a bad idea either. Instead of after a period, every 5 minutes a player will be taken off. So after 5 minutes, it would be 3 vs. 3 until a goal is scored from the 4 vs. 4 in the first 5 minutes of OT, eliminating the shootout.

hmmm.....interesting.....i really like the way the OT system is in the playoffs because it creates one of the most dramatic goals in all of sports.....people love it and you cant turn away......

Fletch 07-14-2008 01:50 PM

Sorry forechecker...
 
that's about where I think this league will be.

I do believe there is a case to be made for contraction. You state that the league wouldn't want to lose the revenues, but overall revenues of a league are pretty meaningless if the overall health isn't there. If the revenues increase next season by $100,000, but the increase is from a small number of teams which is offset by decreases from a small number of teams, is that what the league's really looking at? You can actually make a case that if the bottom 8 teams were contracted, the salary cap would be higher since the average revenues per team may be higher, which is what the NHLPA would like to see.

Of course, that ain't happening; I'm just not all that excited about the expansion in the last 14-16 years.

Forechecker 07-14-2008 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 14869419)
that's about where I think this league will be.

I do believe there is a case to be made for contraction. You state that the league wouldn't want to lose the revenues, but overall revenues of a league are pretty meaningless if the overall health isn't there. If the revenues increase next season by $100,000, but the increase is from a small number of teams which is offset by decreases from a small number of teams, is that what the league's really looking at? You can actually make a case that if the bottom 8 teams were contracted, the salary cap would be higher since the average revenues per team may be higher, which is what the NHLPA would like to see.

Of course, that ain't happening; I'm just not all that excited about the expansion in the last 14-16 years.

I'm with you in principle, Fletch, but the reality is that this is 30 league team, and unless the Canadian dollar plummets, we won't seen contraction in our lifetime.

Choice 07-14-2008 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasonRanger (Post 14866664)
One issue: Cleveland has no hoops? I don't like the NBA but I do know who Lebron James is.

If he signs with the Knicks or Nets, might as well fold that franchise.

NJrocket24 07-14-2008 10:41 PM

Here's Mine-

1st we contract a Southeast team and Nashville to even it out at 28. Don't mean to demean or offend the Southern Markets, I'm a strong supporter of them and their fans in the real situation of the NHL. I like their fanbases enthusiasm (Nashville in the Playoffs, Coyotes up and coming team, Tampa and Carolinas Successes, wishing Wadell would stop ruining the Thrashers to keep his career alive because they could be a good team, and all the progress they've each made at the grassroots level)

Even with all that, I can't justify places like Winnipeg and Quebec not having teams. Sorry.

Patrick Division (Next Expansion: Tampa Bay Lightning)

-You get all the traditional rivalries plus the return of the Capitals.

New York Rangers
New York Islanders
New Jersey Devils
Philadelphia Flyers
Washington Capitals
Carolina Clippers?, Citadels? (don't like the name hurricanes, better suggestion feel free)
Pittsburgh Penguins

Adams Division (Next Expansion: Hamilton Steelhawks)

-Again, Traditional Rivalries, Bos/Mon, Mon/Tor, Hfd/Bos, Tor/BUF, Que/Mon. This division has extreme potential for big time rivalries.

Boston Bruins
Ottawa Senators
Montreal Canadiens
Toronto Maple Leafs
Buffalo Sabres
Hartford Whalers from Atlanta
Quebec Nordiques from Florida


Norris Division (Next Expansion: Houston Aeros)

-Again traditional Rivalries Chi/det, Chi/Stl, Col/Det, Stl/Det Dal/Minn would probably develop a nice one.

Chicago Blackhawks
Detroit Red Wings
Columbus Blue Jackets
St. Louis Blues
Dallas Stars
Minnesota North Stars
Colorado Avalanche

Smythe Division (Next Expansion: Portland Lumberjacks)

-More potential in this one than proven rivalries with the exception of Edm/Cal/Van. Sea/van would probably develop, Bay area sharks vs. LA.

Los Angeles Kings
San Jose Sharks
Winnipeg Jets from Phoenix (maybe leave in Phx for travel considerations?)
Seattle Thunderbirds from Anaheim
Vancouver Canucks
Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers

Top Four Teams in each division go to the divisional playoff. 1-4, 2-3
Then bracket onto the next divisional foe winner. Then from there to the conference final and finally the Stanley cup.

I think the better aligned divisions and formats would create better competition and rivalries a la the NFL. This would generate more fan interest, and better games in the long run.

Dream world.

jhnyr 07-15-2008 02:06 PM

My rationale: Move teams that have the lowest attendance. Attendance for those teams is atrocious. As has been said in other threads, the NHL is a gate-driven sport. New market, new TV deals, etc. would make economic sense.

Isles to Vegas
Phoenix to Seattle
Columbus to Winnipeg (also solves the problem of Columbus being the only western team in the eastern timezone, after Detroit.)
Nashville to Kansas City


So Here's what I would do. First, as some of you have already done... bring back the hockey history and rename conferences/divisions.

Prince of Wales

Patrick Division (formerly Atlantic)
  • Rangers
  • Devils
  • Flyers
  • Penguins
  • Bruins

Adams Division (formerly Northeast)
  • Canadiens
  • Senators
  • Sabres
  • Leafs
  • Red Wings (They should be in the east, considering their proximity to the other teams)

Vezina Division (formerly Southeast)
  • Capitals
  • Hurricanes
  • Panthers
  • Thrashers
  • Lightning


Campbell Conference

Norris Division (formerly Central)
  • Stars
  • Wild
  • Blackhawks
  • Blues
  • Kansas City (Scouts for the history, if allowed by the Devils. If not, the Railroaders, for the city's history. First rail bridge brought it's population boom, forcing city to rename itself Kansas City. Thanks Wikipedia!)

Smythe Division (formerly Pacific)
  • Sharks
  • Ducks
  • Avalanche
  • Kings
  • Las Vegas Aces (name from the gambling aspect of the city, sets up instant media rivalry -- Aces & Kings... etc...)

Richard, Blake, Plante or something else Division (formerly Northwest)
  • Flames
  • Oilers
  • Canucks
  • Seattle Emeralds (name from the city nickname. Could also call them the "Java" for the coffee -- imagine **** brown jerseys!)
  • Winnipeg (Jets for the history)


What I've tried to do is group the teams geographically together, to cut down on travel costs/time, etc. That's why I moved the Avalanche to the Pacific, and the Stars to the Central.
In the East, I created sort of diagonal groupings geographically... Detroit in with Leafs, Sabres, etc...


Other teams on the bubble for a move:
Panthers, Thrashers

I'd move Panthers to Quebec, call them the Nordiques again.
Move Thrashers to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan's biggest city. (Not really serious on this one, but it would finally give each province a team. Not sure if it wants one, though. If not, move it to Hamilton, since there seems to be continued fervor for it there.)


Sources:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2008
http://illegalcurve.blogspot.com/200...s-in-2008.html
http://www.nysun.com/sports/nhl-expa...nd-west/66435/


I'd leave playoffs as they are. I'm toying with the idea of dropping it from 8 teams from each conference to just 6 teams from each conference. From a fan standpoint, it would make for better competition, and cheaper for the season ticket holders with less playoff games. But from a team perspective, it's a loss of revenue. So 8 it shall remain, and the debate over more than 50% of the league making the playoffs continues. :sarcasm:


(One flaw I spotted, however... Not getting to put the Bruins in the Adams divison... since Adams was named after their founder.)

Forechecker 07-15-2008 02:14 PM

Looks great, people, keep bringing them on! If we get two more, we'll do two rounds of voting. If we get a full 15, awesome. We'll keep this going through the end of the week/weekend to encourage more participants.

Apparently, we are now allowing contraction.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.