HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Will Fisher give up No. 12 for Bondra? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=53634)

Calgary_Moe 02-19-2004 10:55 AM

Will Fisher give up No. 12 for Bondra?

Anyone know?

montysens 02-19-2004 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgary_Moe
Anyone know?

Bondra will have #10 on his back.

Calorissi 02-19-2004 11:57 AM

There was an article in the Ottawa Sun today which addressed this. Fisher was asked if he would relinquish the #12 and he refused.

He said that he has had that number since junior. He also said that it might have been different if he was a rookie.....

My opinion is that he should have. Linden did in Vancouver for Messier, I believe they did it in Colorado when Bourque went there. This is not the kind of action that I like to see from a player who many believe may be a future captain.

H2ODP 02-19-2004 12:10 PM

It's not a big deal.

HF2002 02-19-2004 12:17 PM

Maybe Bondra should offer something for the number, like John Kruk did years ago when he got traded (baseball). He traded the number to a new addition to the team for a 6 pack and a package of hot dogs.

Or, pull a Rickey Henderson. When he was traded to the Jays in '93 it was reported that he paid $25,000 for the number he wanted.

Sting 02-19-2004 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensfan11
It's not a big deal.

You're right...I don't think it is either. Fisher isn't the kind of guy to be rude or anything, and after all, it's his number too. Bondra is a laid back kind of guy I hear, so I'm sure he doesn't mind.

snepsts27 02-19-2004 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calorissi
My opinion is that he should have. Linden did in Vancouver for Messier, I believe they did it in Colorado when Bourque went there. This is not the kind of action that I like to see from a player who many believe may be a future captain.

Linden has worn #16 all of his career, Messier brought #11 out of retirement in Vancouver. Wayne Maki died in the 70's while he was a member fo the Canucks, and out of respect no one was allowed to wear the number.

When Messier came to town he asked Maki's family, and they gave him their blessing to wear #11.

As for Bourque, he gave up his #7 in Boston so they could properly retire it for Phil Espisito in the most memorable jersey retirement in history. After that Ray wore #77 for his time in Boston , and with the Avs. No one wore #77 in Colorado before he got there.

Calorissi 02-19-2004 12:51 PM

Thank you, snepsts27, for clearing these up for me.
I knew the changes happened, but was foggy on the details.

That does change things though.
It may not be a big deal, but for a player who has been injured the whole year, and is thought to be a heart type player, it would have been a classy move.

I am not saying he is not a good, classy person, just that it would have been yet another reason to respect Mr. Fisher.

nessie 02-19-2004 01:03 PM

I don't see it being a big deal - sure Bondra wore #12 in WASHINGTON but this is Ottawa, not Washington, and when you come in and someone else has the same number you wore, you don't worry about not keeping it, you get a new number - and it's significant anyhow as Bondra is the TENTH player on teh Sens to have 10 goals or more ;)

Calgary_Moe 02-19-2004 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nessie
I don't see it being a big deal - sure Bondra wore #12 in WASHINGTON but this is Ottawa, not Washington, and when you come in and someone else has the same number you wore, you don't worry about not keeping it, you get a new number - and it's significant anyhow as Bondra is the TENTH player on teh Sens to have 10 goals or more ;)

Good enough. This acquisition, however, brings in the question. The injuries to Bonk and White not withstanding, is Fisher expendable? I mean, the team has been winning without him... right?

Hugh Nito I 02-19-2004 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calgary_Moe
Good enough. This acquisition, however, brings in the question. The injuries to Bonk and White not withstanding, is Fisher expendable? I mean, the team has been winning without him... right?

Hands off!!

Calorissi 02-19-2004 01:58 PM

I do not think Fisher is expendable, and certainly not this year.
I also think that his injuries have seriously limited his return in any proposed trade.

When healthy we have (in no order other than position):
Bondra Bonk Hossa
Varada Spezza Alfredson
Schaefer Smolinski Havlat
Langfield Fisher Neil
Vermette Van Allen
Ray

Defense:
Chara Philips
Redden Rachunek
Volchenkov Simpson
Curtis L. Pothier
Knidy

I think that with this lineup, Fisher becomes our 4th line Energy Centre. He would be dynamite on that line. Van Allen will sit next year, or not be asked back.
We would have to get a checking centre back in a trade to move Fisher.

dre 02-19-2004 02:13 PM

actually linden had #32 for a few seasons in new york because zigmund palffy had it and was #14 in montreal because #16 was retired to honour henri richard.
doesn't really matter but just wanted to clear things up

Calorissi 02-19-2004 02:47 PM

Thanks again.
I was confused with Linden giving up the 'C" to Messier in Vancouver.
It seems that there are not many occurances of Players giving up their Numbers when a trade is made. There are far more occurances of giving/offering the 'C' to a new veteran leader. Before anyone takes this the wrong way, no Alfie should not give up the 'C' to Bondra.

Sting 02-19-2004 02:54 PM

By no means should we move Fisher. I think he's our #2 center personally. I'd rank Spezza as #1 and Bonk as #3 to this point. I watched almost every game last year and Fisher can create so much in the offensive zone. While he's not big, he's tough as a rock and has the potential to be that power forward type they've been wanting. His production has only gone up and he's still young. No need to trade him :)

e-e 02-19-2004 04:53 PM

for you guys who haven't seen bondra playing before his NHL days :
he wore #18 while playing for VSZ Kosice (czechoslavkia). I still remeber those days. :bow: ....i gotta tell ya...long time ago...really

ZombieMatt 02-19-2004 05:57 PM

I don't think Fisher should give up his number for Bondra.

Bondra is not a huge super-star addition to this team. He is a star, but not a super-star in my opinion. if it were Jagr I'd say, yeah, give up his number (in a theoretical situation) or someone like that, but for bondra...I say let him get a new number.

montysens 02-19-2004 06:15 PM

He isn't.. Bondra will wear #10

Spezza 02-19-2004 06:51 PM

Quote:

By no means should we move Fisher. I think he's our #2 center personally. I'd rank Spezza as #1 and Bonk as #3 to this point. I watched almost every game last year and Fisher can create so much in the offensive zone. While he's not big, he's tough as a rock and has the potential to be that power forward type they've been wanting. His production has only gone up and he's still young. No need to trade him
I'm glad you've mentioned the point about Fisher and the potential to be that ever elusive power forward. I guess when he's out of sight, he can fall out of our thoughts too. I think the consensus last year was that Fisher on the left wing wasn't as an effective player as he is at centre.

I don't agree that he's our #2 at this point. I'm not convinced that Fisher could shut down a Thornton or a Sakic, while I'd be fairly comfortable having Bonk centering lines against them.

Anywho, I don't see why Mike should give up his number. He by all means can be asked, but you have to bare in mind that Fisher is a major link to Roger and the past. That number is what he's worn and it may well have emotional significance, especially since the season is dedicated to Roger.

Then again, maybe he doesn't want to change it for some other reason that isn't as understandable. But does it really matter?