HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   CKNW: Delorme stays; Dean and Marois fired (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=536370)

Alan Jackson 07-15-2008 12:12 PM

CKNW: Delorme stays; Dean and Marois fired

CKNW Sports Update...

CKNW has learned the Vancouver Canucks have told the Director of Scouting, Ron Delorme, that he will return next season.

The Canucks did fire two amateur scouts, Barry Dean and Marios Marois

y2kcanucks 07-15-2008 12:13 PM

WHY??? I thought we were cleaning house ... UGH

IceMelter 07-15-2008 12:14 PM

Barry Dean- Saskatchewan Scout

Mario Marois- Quebec Scout

So i'm guessing the Canucks are feeling the scouting has been weakest in those regions.

Kid_Roll 07-15-2008 12:15 PM

The sad story in the Province, the one which envoked images of a Canucks ass-tatooed Delorme walking down the road with his thumb out, with The Hulk music playing in the backgroud, that's what got him to stay.

I wonder why he gets to stick around.

Tim Calhoun 07-15-2008 12:17 PM

Well our Quebec scouting has been even worse than BC...

MA Bernier, Guenette, Messier, Roy, etc have all been terrible picks.

19nazzy 07-15-2008 12:17 PM

You've gotta be kidding me.

Cocomero* 07-15-2008 12:17 PM

This is so god damn frustrating...:shakehead

Finkle is Einhorn 07-15-2008 12:18 PM

First Gillis decision that I really disagree with. I guess we'll see though...

cooker24 07-15-2008 12:18 PM

He better be demoted at least. I don't know how he got to keep his job.

I really don't understand this. Delorme is either a great photographer of "compromising positions" and managed to take a few photos of Gillis in action in Las Vegas or Whistler, or he has a shoebox full of images from management retreats over the years.

I will be interested to hear the official word on this organizational move.

Fictional Realism 07-15-2008 12:19 PM

Delorme must have some serious dirt on SOMEBODY. Seriously, Gillis goes out and pretty much states the organizations scouting sucks terribly in his inaugural speech, and then proceeds to KEEP the Director of Scouting. What...the...hell...

Rotting Corpse* 07-15-2008 12:19 PM

i knew he wouldnt have the balls to do it.

jumptheshark 07-15-2008 12:28 PM

I think that Delorme(like many) should be the on fired.

tantalum 07-15-2008 12:33 PM

No idea how to think about this decisions.

If Delorme is going to be more of a manager of the scouts it might be fine. If he'll continue to do active scouting then well not sure I agree with it at all.

pitseleh 07-15-2008 12:34 PM

Maybe he's being demoted instead of let go.

If not...:help:

RandV 07-15-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tantalum (Post 14881380)
No idea how to think about this decisions.

If Delorme is going to be more of a manager of the scouts it might be fine. If he'll continue to do active scouting then well not sure I agree with it at all.

That's the thing I've always wondered about Delorme. While it helps, you don't always have to be good at a job to be a manager for it. And someone good at that job isn't necessarily going to make a good manager. So maybe there's a good side to him that we don't see which lets him stick around?

IcedTea 07-15-2008 12:38 PM

I'm not a fan of this decision, but I think it is safe to say that us fans don't have all the details on how our scouting department is run. Gillis has made very good decisions so far so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Kid_Roll 07-15-2008 12:42 PM

I just picture the character from Little Britain, the one that begs Mr. Dudley to let her stay one more night, hugging his leg.

That's how I assume Delorme got to stay.

But like others have said, I have been ok with Gillis so far, he demoted Smyl, so I hope that either a) he knows that Delorme can scout the way he wants or b) he will soon demote Delorm to another lesser impactful role.

Shareefruck 07-15-2008 12:44 PM

Ridiculous.

Delorme is the one guy I recall where even the most knowledgeable conservative posters seem to say "Fire his ***" to.

hockeyfan125 07-15-2008 12:56 PM

wierd...

Gillis has demoted Smyl (just as strong organizational ties), and has parted ways with both Naslund (captain) and Morrison, a long time Canuck.

There has to be more to Delorme/this decision than meets the eye.

Vector 07-15-2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitseleh (Post 14881395)
Maybe he's being demoted instead of let go.

If not...:help:

That's what I'm thinking. He'll be repositioned in a lesser copacity like Smyl. If not then I'm a wee bit worried. Would not be surprised if Gillis took a committee approach to the director of scouting position. Taking input from all of the senior staff rather than a single guy.

yabanjin 07-15-2008 01:00 PM

Not unexpected. Delorme's been with this organization for a long time. Obviously he's been doing something right. I thought it unfair that the vast majority of HFBoard posters felt they had the information necessary to evaluate his contributions to the drafting department, when in reality, that information is not public knowledge.

He was the head of amateur scouting. He was not head of drafting. He was not head of player development. He probably did his job well, was evaluated well, and thus remains a life-long Canuck.

FruityPants3* 07-15-2008 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid_Roll (Post 14881508)
I just picture the character from Little Britain, the one that begs Mr. Dudley to let her stay one more night, hugging his leg.

Ting Tong?! LB reference, you're now my favourite poster! US version comes out in Sept :)

Passthedonuts 07-15-2008 01:03 PM

I'm very disappointed in this decision to say the least.

However, I will give Gillis the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure Delorme and MG sat and discussed "philosophy" just like he did with every other key staff member, and decided to keep him for one reason or another. He has no ties to anybody on this team, so I don't feel loyalty or the old boys club was a factor.

Perhaps it was brought up that Delorme had recommended particular players that the previous GMs had passed on, that may have turned out to be good selections. Most of us can agree that our drafting had looked somewhat better under Nonis than Burke, so the ultimate decision of draft selections lies in the hands of the GM. The scouts only make recommendations, and for all we know Delorme's recommendations could be adequate.

Or, Gillis felt as if the selections were adequate, but the player development was the issue. He's already addressed this area.

Nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors, but Gillis is more qualified to make personnel decisions than anybody posting on a message board.

pitseleh 07-15-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yabanjin (Post 14881746)
Not unexpected. Delorme's been with this organization for a long time. Obviously he's been doing something right. I thought it unfair that the vast majority of HFBoard posters felt they had the information necessary to evaluate his contributions to the drafting department, when in reality, that information is not public knowledge.

He was the head of amateur scouting. He was not head of drafting. He was not head of player development. He probably did his job well, was evaluated well, and thus remains a life-long Canuck.

The Director of Scouting is the person responsible for drafting. The GM may have input on a first round pick, but ultimately the DoS is the person who is making the call on picks throughout the draft.

PuckMunchkin 07-15-2008 01:08 PM

Yuck..

When I got used to the idea of Gillis now being our GM.. Getting rid of Delorme was the ONE GOOD THING I were sure this would bring us.