HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Straka - Nylander - Jagr (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=536382)

I Am Chariot 07-15-2008 01:07 PM

Straka - Nylander - Jagr
 
Really was a pretty dominant line 06 - 07. Cutting Nylander loose obviously tinkered too much with the chemistry and hurt both Jagr and Strakas numbers imo...

Sather has big balls. Blew up his very productive #1 line because it didnt fit the overall plan for the future.

Not too many GMs have balls like that. Especially in a town like NYC where things can get ugly quick if the team isnt winning.

All in all I will always remember that as one of the Great Ranger lines of all time. Short lived but fun to watch.

SPG 07-15-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chariot (Post 14881821)
Really was a pretty dominant line 06 - 07. Cutting Nylander loose obviously tinkered too much with the chemistry and hurt both Jagr and Strakas numbers imo...

Sather has big balls. Blew up his very productive #1 line because it didnt fit the overall plan for the future.

Not too many GMs have balls like that. Especially in a town like NYC where things can get ugly quick if the team isnt winning.

All in all I will always remember that as one of the Great Ranger lines of all time. Short lived but fun to watch.

The line that wouldn't shoot.... :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, that was a fun line to watch. Like you said, short lived, but entertaining. A line that was instrumental in leading us back to the playoffs.

NYROrtsFan 07-15-2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chariot (Post 14881821)
Really was a pretty dominant line 06 - 07. Cutting Nylander loose obviously tinkered too much with the chemistry and hurt both Jagr and Strakas numbers imo...

Sather has big balls. Blew up his very productive #1 line because it didnt fit the overall plan for the future.

Not too many GMs have balls like that. Especially in a town like NYC where things can get ugly quick if the team isnt winning.

All in all I will always remember that as one of the Great Ranger lines of all time. Short lived but fun to watch.

Correct... And it turned out to be a stupid move imo.

Team gets extremely close to winning the cup if Nylander is here and either Gomez or Drury are not.

Definitely the best Rangers line in some time. not a favorite of all those losers who sat in the Garden and aimlessly screamed "shoot" all the time.

I Am Chariot 07-15-2008 01:12 PM

It was a line the NHL, well the East, grew to respect and fear in a short period of time.

Bleed Ranger Blue 07-15-2008 01:13 PM

Nylander, at 35 years old, was looking to ride Jagr's coattails to a big payday and he got it from Washington.

Im glad he didnt get it here.

Seems like more smarts than balls to me.

I Am Chariot 07-15-2008 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan (Post 14881861)
Correct... And it turned out to be a stupid move imo.

Team gets extremely close to winning the cup if Nylander is here and either Gomez or Drury are not.

Definitely the best Rangers line in some time. not a favorite of all those losers who sat in the Garden and aimlessly screamed "shoot" all the time.

Nylander could have taken Slats deal.... I mean I know the guy has like 12 kids to feed but this is the new NHL buddy

WhipNash27 07-15-2008 01:14 PM

Was it really that stupid of a move to let Nylander go? The Rangers got just as far as the prior year with him. They finished one spot higher in the standings as well. He was injured all last year. Jagr is not back this year as well. We would have had a Jagrless Nylander for another 2 or 3 years (he didn't want only 1 or 2 years). We would have been stuck with him. Sather made the right move at the right time and I commend him for doing so.

I Am Chariot 07-15-2008 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue (Post 14881898)
Nylander, at 35 years old, was looking to ride Jagr's coattails to a big payday and he got it from Washington.

Im glad he didnt get it here.

Seems like more smarts than balls to me.

Lots of smart ideas never happen because people dont have the balls to make the call.


Blowing up that line was a risky move. If this was a Canadian team Slats would have been picked apart by the city because the team won one less game in the playoffs....

Melrose_Jr. 07-15-2008 01:23 PM

Nylander got crushed in January and missed the rest of the season with an injury. Who knows what level he's playing it when he starts year 2 of his contract next year.

Imagine for a second that the same happens here, Jagr still misses his renewal triggers, bolts for Omsk and leaves Sather with 1 or 2 more years of injured, old Nylander. Now THAT would have been a disaster.

Son of Steinbrenner 07-15-2008 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. (Post 14882021)
Nylander got crushed in January and missed the rest of the season with an injury. Who knows what level he's playing it when he starts year 2 of his contract next year.

Imagine for a second that the same happens here, Jagr still misses his renewal triggers, bolts for Omsk and leaves Sather with 1 or 2 more years of injured, old Nylander. Now THAT would have been a disaster.

It would've been a disaster and I was AGAINST bringing Nylander back BUT if the above scenario happened you could've always waived Nylander if you couldn't trade him...

SPG 07-15-2008 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan (Post 14881861)
Correct... And it turned out to be a stupid move imo.

Team gets extremely close to winning the cup if Nylander is here and either Gomez or Drury are not.

Definitely the best Rangers line in some time. not a favorite of all those losers who sat in the Garden and aimlessly screamed "shoot" all the time.

Team got just as far with Drury and Gomez and we don't have a 36 year old with injury question marks as our first line center.

Bluenote13 07-15-2008 01:37 PM

Ogrodnick-Kisio-Mullen

Miller-Ridley-Larouche

Not that either of these guys was Jagr, but these lines were highly successful too, are you gonna win championships with them though?

Son of Steinbrenner 07-15-2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13 (Post 14882188)
Ogrodnick-Kisio-Mullen

Miller-Ridley-Larouche

Not that either of these guys was Jagr, but these lines were highly successful too, are you gonna win championships with them though?

I can't think of a worse trade in my lifetime then the carpenter deal..really what was espo thinking?

DontStepanMe 07-15-2008 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPG (Post 14882150)
Team got just as far with Drury and Gomez and we don't have a 36 year old with injury question marks as our first line center.

yeah instead we have two overpaid players locked into long term contracts. one w/ a full NMC and the other w/ a limited NTC. One who can't hit 20 goals, the other who can't hit 70 pts. Great tradeoff.

Would rather have kept Nylander and signed only Gomez. There is no need or justification for that B S contract that drury received. you don't spend 7 mil a season on intangibles or defensively aware forward. who could be a good player if he is in the perfect setting playing w/ highly skilled players who can make up for the lack of his playmaking shortcomings. But he is young. he is young and young = better than old even if the other player is superior offensively and clicks extremely well on the team apparently. **** Sather and **** Drury's contract. They both suck.

Bleed Ranger Blue 07-15-2008 01:44 PM

Sather deserves the credit for assembling that line, and had every right to tear it down.

Thats why I trust the man and his desire to make this team younger and faster.

SPG 07-15-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rags225 (Post 14882267)
yeah instead we have two overpaid players locked into long term contracts. one w/ a full NMC and the other w/ a limited NTC. One who can't hit 20 goals, the other who can't hit 70 pts. Great tradeoff.

Would rather have kept Nylander and signed only Gomez. There is no need or justification for that B S contract that drury received. you don't spend 7 mil a season on intangibles or defensively aware forward. who could be a good player if he is in the perfect setting playing w/ highly skilled players who can make up for the lack of his playmaking shortcomings. But he is young. he is young and young = better than old even if the other player is superior offensively and clicks extremely well on the team apparently. **** Sather and **** Drury's contract. They both suck.

Wow... bitter much? I can only imagine what your attitude was when we missed the playoffs 10 years straight.

Backstrom #19 07-15-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. (Post 14882021)
Nylander got crushed in January and missed the rest of the season with an injury. Who knows what level he's playing it when he starts year 2 of his contract next year.

Imagine for a second that the same happens here, Jagr still misses his renewal triggers, bolts for Omsk and leaves Sather with 1 or 2 more years of injured, old Nylander. Now THAT would have been a disaster.


Actually Nylander tore his rotator cuff in November taking a face-off and he play 2 1/2 months with a torn rotator cuff until he decided to get surgery in January.

SPG 07-15-2008 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 (Post 14882327)
Actually Nylander tore his rotator cuff in November taking a face-off and he play 2 1/2 months with a torn rotator cuff until he decided to get surgery in January.

Thats exactly what we needed on this team last season... a 36 year old #1 center with a torn rotator cuff making $5M/year !

Fletch 07-15-2008 01:59 PM

If Straka...
 
was able to finish Jagr's chances then Jagr would be a Ranger at under a $5MM cap hit, without Nylander.

Signing Nylander for five seasons would've been painful - after a couple years and with Jagr possibly gone, he wouldn't be the same person and if you think you got frustrated then when he didn't shoot, imagine if his line didn't score, which would likely be the case in a couple seasons.

beastly115 07-15-2008 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rags225 (Post 14882267)
yeah instead we have two overpaid players locked into long term contracts. one w/ a full NMC and the other w/ a limited NTC. One who can't hit 20 goals, the other who can't hit 70 pts. Great tradeoff.

Would rather have kept Nylander and signed only Gomez. There is no need or justification for that B S contract that drury received. you don't spend 7 mil a season on intangibles or defensively aware forward. who could be a good player if he is in the perfect setting playing w/ highly skilled players who can make up for the lack of his playmaking shortcomings. But he is young. he is young and young = better than old even if the other player is superior offensively and clicks extremely well on the team apparently. **** Sather and **** Drury's contract. They both suck.

I think it's hilarious that Drury's contract pisses you off so much. :biglaugh:

DontStepanMe 07-15-2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPG (Post 14882291)
Wow... bitter much? I can only imagine what your attitude was when we missed the playoffs 10 years straight.

was not happy then at all either, but there was no cap there was always the possibility to cover up mistakes (we didn't) but there was hope. there is no hope of covering up the catostrophic signing. IMO we as a team a pretty screwed for the next 4 years. he is a waste of valuable cap space, and the team as currently constructed wasn't thought out well either. We are tight on cap space every year and we have Drury, redden, Gomez, Rosy, Naslund on high contracts that are in win now mode w/ the rest of the lineup that is first and second year players that aren't really ready to win yet, but maybe in a couple years. But if the cap doesn't go up by alot each year we might have some troubles retaining said young players. We don't have a superstar who can carry this team, in dire times. We can't move big contracts w/o alot of hassle b/c all except for Rosy's are restrictive.

I think Drury and Gomez's signings were completely reactionary b/c of the playoffs and there was no need to sign both, and have a feeling that Sather might be regretting it also as now we have to remake this team again. He did not understand the chemistry Nylander and Jagr had, and I think that if we had Nylander on the team instead of Drury we would have had more pts, and would have at least made the series against Pitt interesting.

The Thomas J.* 07-15-2008 02:00 PM

While you can't prdicy future preformance on past preformance or even injury, one way or the other Jagr would have wound up playing with Dubinsky.

I really did not lose much sleep when Nylander walked, I was a little surprised though.

I think Jagr would STILL be a Ranger today had he not been so ridgid & tried to form some type of chemistry with Drury & or Gomez.

DontStepanMe 07-15-2008 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaqup (Post 14882466)
I think it's hilarious that Drury's contract pisses you off so much. :biglaugh:

it pisses me off so much b/c people actually try to defend it by saying he has intangibles. W T F does that mean. Avery has intangibles and wasn't worth $4mil. in fact one could say that he was more valuable than Drury in the clutch this year and especially in the PO's. So drury is magically worth $7mil.

but he can take faceoffs well.... so can gomez, dubi, betts. and Drury was horrible last year's PO's when the faceoffs were important... dubi on the other hand was great.

he plays defense.... great so you pay $7 mil for a defensmen that happens to play forward.... kind of sounds like the opposite of Mark Streit if you ask me. If I wanted a $7 mil player that is known more for his defense than his offense I would sign a $7 mil defensemen.

Drury had a good PO's in 06-07 and cashed in from the Franchise who loves to hand out contracts that players don't deserve. he was never a $7mil player, never will be, and will never live up to his contract. throw on top of that the NMC and you have a signing that rivals valeri kamensky in horribleness.

Lundqvist=Vezina 07-15-2008 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Chariot (Post 14881821)
Really was a pretty dominant line 06 - 07. Cutting Nylander loose obviously tinkered too much with the chemistry and hurt both Jagr and Strakas numbers imo...

Sather has big balls. Blew up his very productive #1 line because it didnt fit the overall plan for the future.

Not too many GMs have balls like that. Especially in a town like NYC where things can get ugly quick if the team isnt winning.

All in all I will always remember that as one of the Great Ranger lines of all time. Short lived but fun to watch.

Actually the line was not together the second half of the season. Mostly it was Hossa-Nylander-Jagr and when Hossa was out it was the infamous Isbister-Nylader-Jagr line.

Bluenote13 07-15-2008 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rags225 (Post 14882560)
it pisses me off so much b/c people actually try to defend it by saying he has intangibles. W T F does that mean. Avery has intangibles and wasn't worth $4mil. in fact one could say that he was more valuable than Drury in the clutch this year and especially in the PO's. So drury is magically worth $7mil.

but he can take faceoffs well.... so can gomez, dubi, betts. and Drury was horrible last year's PO's when the faceoffs were important... dubi on the other hand was great.

he plays defense.... great so you pay $7 mil for a defensmen that happens to play forward.... kind of sounds like the opposite of Mark Streit if you ask me. If I wanted a $7 mil player that is known more for his defense than his offense I would sign a $7 mil defensemen.

Drury had a good PO's in 06-07 and cashed in from the Franchise who loves to hand out contracts that players don't deserve. he was never a $7mil player, never will be, and will never live up to his contract. throw on top of that the NMC and you have a signing that rivals valeri kamensky in horribleness.


Hmm...good luck with that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.