HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Logjam at Center: Dubinsky to the wing? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=537252)

shnagle 07-18-2008 07:41 AM

Logjam at Center: Dubinsky to the wing?
 
Itís been a while since I posted but I always enjoy dropping in to see what people are talking about. While Iíve seen countless threads discussing the possible line combinations for the upcoming year, I didnít see anything relating to the bigger picture regarding the logjam at the center position.

Everyone seems to agree that Gomez is our #1 center, but after that things seem to get dicey. Iíve seen Drury at center or on the wing and Dubinsky as our #2 or #3 center depending on where Drury is slotted. However, seeing as Gomez, Drury and Dubinsky will be on the team for the next several years and with Anisimov a year away(at the most) it seems we have 4 viable centers for the top 3 spots.

Someothing has to give and someone will be on the wing in the near future. My personal opinion is that Anisimov will be the third line center next year and with Gomez as the #1, it comes down to Drury and Dubinsky. While Iíve seen several people calling for Drury to move to the wing Iím wondering if Dubinsky might not be a better long term fit as a power forward on the wing on a line centered by Drury. I think Dubinsky belongs in the top six and moving him to the wing would solve the lack of size that Iíve seen on several of the proposed line combinations.

A couple of questions for those with far more hockey knowledge than myself. Has Dubinsky ever played wing in the past? Do you think his skill set can translate into the power forward we seem to be lacking? Would it cause irreparable harm to his development to make this move and if so how do you see the Dubinsky/Drury problem playing out next year when Anisimov is part of the team?

BDubinskyNYR17* 07-18-2008 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shnagle (Post 14915692)
Itís been a while since I posted but I always enjoy dropping in to see what people are talking about. While Iíve seen countless threads discussing the possible line combinations for the upcoming year, I didnít see anything relating to the bigger picture regarding the logjam at the center position.

Everyone seems to agree that Gomez is our #1 center, but after that things seem to get dicey. Iíve seen Drury at center or on the wing and Dubinsky as our #2 or #3 center depending on where Drury is slotted. However, seeing as Gomez, Drury and Dubinsky will be on the team for the next several years and with Anisimov a year away(at the most) it seems we have 4 viable centers for the top 3 spots.

Someothing has to give and someone will be on the wing in the near future. My personal opinion is that Anisimov will be the third line center next year and with Gomez as the #1, it comes down to Drury and Dubinsky. While Iíve seen several people calling for Drury to move to the wing Iím wondering if Dubinsky might not be a better long term fit as a power forward on the wing on a line centered by Drury. I think Dubinsky belongs in the top six and moving him to the wing would solve the lack of size that Iíve seen on several of the proposed line combinations.

A couple of questions for those with far more hockey knowledge than myself. Has Dubinsky ever played wing in the past? Do you think his skill set can translate into the power forward we seem to be lacking? Would it cause irreparable harm to his development to make this move and if so how do you see the Dubinsky/Drury problem playing out next year when Anisimov is part of the team?

drury has played wing in the past. on dubinsky he has not played wing at the NHL level and Im not sure if he did at the AHL level or juniors. I think Dubinsky always played centre.

RANGERS2448 07-18-2008 07:50 AM

Would rather see at Dubi 2nd line center and move Dru to wing either on the first line or second he has played wing b4. He has said he doesnt have a problem makeing the move and would be excited to play on Gomers wing. yes i know it was when they were talking about getting Sundin. If he was willing to do it then why not now to help the team.

Sockosensei 07-18-2008 08:08 AM

Of course Drury's willing to do it. When half your salary is based on you being a team guy, you do anything to help out.
Question is whether that's actually what would be best. Drury's a fantastic defensive center, and decent offensive center. I'd love to see them try Dubi on his wing, at least for training camp.
Dubi can use his size, and can think more offense.

(Chances are we'll see all possible combinations in due course, so none of this really matters)

RANGERS2448 07-18-2008 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sockosensei (Post 14915835)
Of course Drury's willing to do it. When half your salary is based on you being a team guy, you do anything to help out.
Question is whether that's actually what would be best. Drury's a fantastic defensive center, and decent offensive center. I'd love to see them try Dubi on his wing, at least for training camp.
Dubi can use his size, and can think more offense.

(Chances are we'll see all possible combinations in due course, so none of this really matters)


In camp and preseason renney will be shuffling the deck alot i just hope he gets the right combos b4 Prague or at leasst by the home openner

Vitto79 07-18-2008 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shnagle (Post 14915692)
Itís been a while since I posted but I always enjoy dropping in to see what people are talking about. While Iíve seen countless threads discussing the possible line combinations for the upcoming year, I didnít see anything relating to the bigger picture regarding the logjam at the center position.

Everyone seems to agree that Gomez is our #1 center, but after that things seem to get dicey. Iíve seen Drury at center or on the wing and Dubinsky as our #2 or #3 center depending on where Drury is slotted. However, seeing as Gomez, Drury and Dubinsky will be on the team for the next several years and with Anisimov a year away(at the most) it seems we have 4 viable centers for the top 3 spots.

Someothing has to give and someone will be on the wing in the near future. My personal opinion is that Anisimov will be the third line center next year and with Gomez as the #1, it comes down to Drury and Dubinsky. While Iíve seen several people calling for Drury to move to the wing Iím wondering if Dubinsky might not be a better long term fit as a power forward on the wing on a line centered by Drury. I think Dubinsky belongs in the top six and moving him to the wing would solve the lack of size that Iíve seen on several of the proposed line combinations.

A couple of questions for those with far more hockey knowledge than myself. Has Dubinsky ever played wing in the past? Do you think his skill set can translate into the power forward we seem to be lacking? Would it cause irreparable harm to his development to make this move and if so how do you see the Dubinsky/Drury problem playing out next year when Anisimov is part of the team?

There is not a log jam

quite simply they can go Gomez, Drury, Dubinsky, Betts.............

Fritsche, Rissmiller can play the wing too and Aminisev is still young

IF they do make a move like that then I can see Drury to a wing which he has played and then having Fritsche C the 3rd line

Dawes, Gomez, Drury
Naslund, Dubinsky, Zherdev
Prucha, Fritsche, Callahan
Rissmiller, Betts, Sjostrom
Orr, Voros

There is my lineup

Trxjw 07-18-2008 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitto79 (Post 14917296)
There is not a log jam

quite simply they can go Gomez, Drury, Dubinsky, Betts.............

Fritsche, Rissmiller can play the wing too and Aminisev is still young

Are you ever going to spell his name correctly?

A-N-I-S-I-M-O-V

alkurtz 07-18-2008 11:27 AM

I don't understand why anyone would even entertain the idea of moving Dubinsky. Center is the most important of the forward positions and having a young player with skills who has proven that he can handle the stress of the position is a rare thing. Even if he plays 3rd line center this year (and we never know exactly how it will play out...witness last year) and his offensive stats fall (which they may or may not), Dubinsky belongs at the center position. His skills have more of an impact there. How Anisimov will fit in will depend on many factors: his continued progress, injuries, etc. Moving Dubinsky would be a big, big mistake. I'm also opposed to moving Drury...his skills also are more of a factor at center. Moving either would make the team weaker not stronger. Logjams have a way of working themselves out and I rather have too many centers than too few. Like Dmen, you can never have enough.

DontStepanMe 07-18-2008 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trxjw (Post 14917817)
Are you ever going to spell his name correctly?

A-N-I-S-I-M-O-V

i don't think so. in fact i think at this point he is doing that just to annoy you.;)

007 07-18-2008 11:30 AM

I've thought all summer that the Rangers would be best served by playing Drury in position as a centre and Dubinsky either as 3rd line center or 2nd line LW. I posted as much in Inferno's 2nd-line centre thread. It comes down to the simple matter that Drury is a superior 2nd line centre and the Rangers would be best served by playing him in that position.

The Rangers themselves have debated for a long time Dubinsky's future as either a centre or a wing in the NHL. There's no guarantees that it would work, but it is would be silly not to.

Vitto79 07-18-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rags225 (Post 14917943)
i don't think so. in fact i think at this point he is doing that just to annoy you.;)

I concur!.......haha

fine fine i will spell it right!

NYRKing 07-18-2008 12:12 PM

Drury should not play the wing!!!

He is great on face-offs and even better in front of the net in traffic.

Dawes/Zherdev Gomez Dubi
Dawes/Zherdev Drury Naslund

Dubi can compliment Gomez and whoever he plays with on the other wing and he will be perfect for playing behind the net or putting traffic in front. The point is we need a power forward to clear room for Gomez and Zherdev or Dawes.

Burlington Bomb 26 07-18-2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRKing (Post 14918393)
Drury should not play the wing!!!

He is great on face-offs and even better in front of the net in traffic.

Dawes/Zherdev Gomez Dubi
Dawes/Zherdev Drury Naslund

Dubi can compliment Gomez and whoever he plays with on the other wing and he will be perfect for playing behind the net or putting traffic in front. The point is we need a power forward to clear room for Gomez and Zherdev or Dawes.

that is a good lineup, but Zherdev is a RW'er and Nazzy is a LW'er so switch it something like...

Nazzy-Gomez-Dubi
Dawes-Drury-Zherdev

slim399 07-18-2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitto79 (Post 14917296)
There is not a log jam

quite simply they can go Gomez, Drury, Dubinsky, Betts.............

Fritsche, Rissmiller can play the wing too and Aminisev is still young

IF they do make a move like that then I can see Drury to a wing which he has played and then having Fritsche C the 3rd line

Dawes, Gomez, Drury
Naslund, Dubinsky, Zherdev
Prucha, Fritsche, Callahan
Rissmiller, Betts, Sjostrom
Orr, Voros

There is my lineup

I was thinking something very similar to this.

Dawes-Gomez-Drury
Naslund-Dubinsky-Zherdev
Sjostrom-Anisimov-Prucha
Voros-Fritsche-Callahan

I think Anisimov will pull a Dubi and win that 3rd line center spot out of camp. I love the idea of Drury playing with Gomez and think he would have the potential to put up 35+ goals with him. Dubinsky will add a nice physical two way presence to Naslund and Z's skill. The 3rd and 4th are solid two way lines that can score.

I know I know... wheres Betts? Betts is probably one of our only 3-4 line guys that has some value. If hollweg netted a 5th... Betts might be able to get us a 3rd, maybe even a 2nd.

Korpedo first call up.

In the end Drury goes to the wing not Dubi.

ZenBaja 07-18-2008 12:40 PM

The only reason there's a logjam is the rangers have three 1st line centers. Any one of them on the 3rd line is a waste, unless Renney plans on rolling 3 equally strong lines.

ebn 07-18-2008 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slim399 (Post 14918553)
I was thinking something very similar to this.

Dawes-Gomez-Drury
Naslund-Dubinsky-Zherdev
Sjostrom-Anisimov-Prucha
Voros-Fritsche-Callahan

I think Anisimov will pull a Dubi and win that 3rd line center spot out of camp. I love the idea of Drury playing with Gomez and think he would have the potential to put up 35+ goals with him. Dubinsky will add a nice physical two way presence to Naslund and Z's skill. The 3rd and 4th are solid two way lines that can score.

I know I know... wheres Betts? Betts is probably one of our only 3-4 line guys that has some value. If hollweg netted a 5th... Betts might be able to get us a 3rd, maybe even a 2nd.

Korpedo first call up.

In the end Drury goes to the wing not Dubi.


Anisimov will not start in the Rangers lineup this year. He still needs one more year.
I like moving Drury to wing with Gomez and Dawes.

Dawes Gomez Drury
Naslund Dubinsky Zherdev
Prucha Fritsche Callahan
Voros Betts Rissmiller
Sjostrom Orr

Don't forget they still have the new guy from Sweden Jamtin plus Korpikoski might make it. So nothing is in stone. However big question can Fritsche play third line.
Also I don't like the move and you guys might not either but Renney did it last year. He moved Betts to third line. The problem no offence but he might want a checking line. So Betts and Fritsche might switch.

DutchShamrock 07-18-2008 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenBaja (Post 14918801)
The only reason there's a logjam is the rangers have three 1st line centers. Any one of them on the 3rd line is a waste, unless Renney plans on rolling 3 equally strong lines.

Who are the other 2?

Matt 07-18-2008 01:10 PM

Any idea what number Fritsche will be. He had 49 with Columbus

ZenBaja 07-18-2008 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugerya (Post 14919161)
Who are the other 2?

Drury and Gomez.

NYR Viper 07-18-2008 01:16 PM

naslund-gomez-drury
dawes-dubinsky-zherdev

AND renney doesnt have to move people around for the first and second pp.....AND, the second line can g out after most pk's as none of those players pk....

ZenBaja 07-18-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 (Post 14919280)
naslund-gomez-drury
dawes-dubinsky-zherdev

AND renney doesnt have to move people around for the first and second pp.....AND, the second line can g out after most pk's as none of those players pk....

Has Drury ever played on the right side? He's always been LW or center before I believe.

DontStepanMe 07-18-2008 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenBaja (Post 14918801)
The only reason there's a logjam is the rangers have three 1st line centers. Any one of them on the 3rd line is a waste, unless Renney plans on rolling 3 equally strong lines.

no we have 3 second line centers. None are true first line centers.

DutchShamrock 07-18-2008 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenBaja (Post 14919277)
Drury and Gomez.

Actually, I assumed Gomez as the one #1 center. Dubinsky's great and all but he's no #1 center (I'm assuming he's the 3rd guy). Drury's not a #1 either.

Blueshirt Brawler 07-18-2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rags225 (Post 14919425)
no we have 3 second line centers. None are true first line centers.

I disagree. Scott Gomez can be the number one center on a team when he plays with the right linemates. Hopefully he'll be able to mesh well with Zherdev and Naslund because we definitely need those guys who can score 25-30 goals to do so on this club.

As far as moving Dubinsky to wing I see no need. Fritsche played RW all year last year for Columbus and he will do so for us as well.

Gomez, Drury, Dubinsky and Betts will be our centermen.

And when Anisimov is ready in 2009-10, Drury will move to LW.

NYR94 07-18-2008 01:30 PM

Drury took more faceoffs than any Ranger, won more, and won the highest percentage of faceoffs. Puck possession is crucial so I'd like to see him remain at center.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.