HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Most Overrated Forward (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=537258)

DontStepanMe 07-18-2008 08:13 AM

Most Overrated Forward

Just curious what people think who the most overrated forward is on this team. i saw it on the main boards. So tell a reason why you think they are overrated.

Me being me is the most obvious. Chris Drury.

Yes he is one of our best players on the team, maybe the best but he is completely overrated on these boards. he has never gone over 70pts in a season, never been on an all-star team, and yet people talk about him as an super-star who can carry a team. To me this is overrated.

Matt 07-18-2008 08:17 AM

Zherdev

Bleed Ranger Blue 07-18-2008 08:18 AM

Dawes and/or Prucha

Trxjw 07-18-2008 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rags225 (Post 14915864)
Just curious what people think who the most overrated forward is on this team. i saw it on the main boards. So tell a reason why you think they are overrated.

Me being me is the most obvious. Chris Drury.

Yes he is one of our best players on the team, maybe the best but he is completely overrated on these boards. he has never gone over 70pts in a season, never been on an all-star team, and yet people talk about him as an super-star who can carry a team. To me this is overrated.

I think that's the first time anyone has ever said that about Drury. If he was getting paid 4.5 mil per season you wouldn't think he's overrated.

He does exactly what he's always done; 50-60 points, wins faceoffs, kills penalties and scores game winning goals. All while being a leader and helping to develop youngsters. If you were expecting him to be an all-star or notch 40 goals, that's your own fault for not understanding his game. Sather overpaid for Drury, we can all agree on that, but to point any of the blame for his salary at Drury himself isn't justifiable at all.

"What's that Mr. Sather? You want to pay me 7 mil a year? Oh no thanks, 4.5 mil per year is perfectly fine." :shakehead

To me, the most overrated forward is Dubinsky. I like the kid and like his game, but some people are getting seriously carried away with his ceiling. I've seen people claiming he's going to be a 80 point player. Dubi should be the second line center over Drury? Give me a break. Until the kid puts up some numbers without Jagr on his line, I'm not ready to jump on the Dubinsky bandwagon yet.

Next in line is Callahan. Lotta heart and he certainly works hard, but he isn't a second liner like a lot of people are making him out to be. He's an energy/3rd line guy at best.

DontStepanMe 07-18-2008 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trxjw (Post 14915963)
I think that's the first time anyone has ever said that about Drury. If he was getting paid 4.5 mil per season you wouldn't think he's overrated.

He does exactly what he's always done; 50-60 points, wins faceoffs, kills penalties and scores game winning goals. All while being a leader and helping to develop youngsters. If you were expecting him to be an all-star or notch 40 goals, that's your own fault for not understanding his game. Sather overpaid for Drury, we can all agree on that, but to point any of the blame for his salary at Drury himself isn't justifiable at all.

"What's that Mr. Sather? You want to pay me 7 mil a year? Oh no thanks, 4.5 mil per year is perfectly fine." :shakehead

To me, the most overrated forward is Dubinsky. I like the kid and like his game, but some people are getting seriously carried away with his ceiling. I've seen people claiming he's going to be a 80 point player. Dubi should be the second line center over Drury? Give me a break. Until the kid puts up some numbers without Jagr on his line, I'm not ready to jump on the Dubinsky bandwagon yet.

Next in line is Callahan. Lotta heart and he certainly works hard, but he isn't a second liner like a lot of people are making him out to be. He's an energy/3rd line guy at best.

i agree that both Dubi and Cally are both overrated as well, but on these boards it seems that Drury is the most. people talk of him like a god and a superstar but he is/wasnt/never will be. He is an above average player but not nearly an all-star as people make him out. That was my reasoning.

but then again I am strict w/ the words all-star and superstar and reserve them for only the best players. i guess some people throw them around more freely.

Nich 07-18-2008 08:30 AM

dubi...don't get me wrong he will be very good, but not at the level he is spoke at yet...

chosen 07-18-2008 08:37 AM

Callahan by a country mile. A low scoring small forward. He is liked because he is small and he hustles. Fans always love that because that is how they envision themselves playing the game.

HatTrick Swayze 07-18-2008 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chosen (Post 14916053)
Callahan by a country mile. A low scoring small forward. He is liked because he is small and he hustles. Fans always love that because that is how they envision themselves playing the game.

Agreed...don't get me wrong I love the guy, but IMO he is the most overrated.

Trxjw 07-18-2008 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rags225 (Post 14915996)
i agree that both Dubi and Cally are both overrated as well, but on these boards it seems that Drury is the most. people talk of him like a god and a superstar but he is/wasnt/never will be. He is an above average player but not nearly an all-star as people make him out. That was my reasoning.

but then again I am strict w/ the words all-star and superstar and reserve them for only the best players. i guess some people throw them around more freely.

I think he could be an all-star, but I'm not really concerned with whether or not he is. The guys that put up the big numbers are always going to be the all-stars, that's just the way it is. When was the last time you saw a strictly defensive d-man in the all-star game? A guy like Blair Betts is a huge part of any team, but you'll never see him in the ASG until he's on pace for a 30+ goal season.

Is Drury a superstar? Nah, he isn't. But he's the type of player that is an integral part of any team. Guys who can score 30G+ and 30A+ in a season while still being able to kill penalties and backcheck like a maniac. You win Cup's with guys like Drury in your lineup.

I've just never seen anyone around here call him a superstar. :dunno:

Celestial Black 07-18-2008 08:53 AM

Pru and Dubi get my vote. Dubi I hope can become what all the hype that surrounds him, while I am done on this Pru train that some fans ride.

HabsDood 07-18-2008 09:20 AM

Gomez?

z1co80 07-18-2008 09:21 AM

Drury for me

dangler71 07-18-2008 09:24 AM

Prucha

Luongo4VP 07-18-2008 09:26 AM

Drury might be OVERPAID, but I don't agree that he is OVERRATED, he is a very determined and hard-working player, I would love him on one of my teams.

That being said, I think that Scott Gomez is the most overrated.

Fletch 07-18-2008 09:34 AM

Too difficult to tell...

I'm having trouble determining who provides the ratings to determine if one is over-rated. My inclination has been to say Drury, but I'm not sure if I'm just jaded by the amount of money he makes compared to what he does. Korps is becoming a close second only because many feel he's a second line winger today and I think it may be early for that type of discussion about him.

Kostik 07-18-2008 09:40 AM

Went with Drury.
Especially his playoff performance is way overblown i think.
He is great player, but vastly overpaid and maybe Rangers could use those money better...they had Cullen last year still...
Gomez, Cullen, Dubinsky, Betts, Rismiller, Anisimov(maybe)...not bad package of centers.
Second would be Callahan...agreed with chosen.

irishlaxburger2 07-18-2008 09:43 AM

I went with Drury but Id give Dawes an honorable mention spot. Drury isnt worth the money and both disappeared when we needed them most during the playoffs.

Son of Steinbrenner 07-18-2008 09:55 AM

naslund.....2 years $4.0m with a nmc clause for an over the hill veteran...

trench23 07-18-2008 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chosen (Post 14916053)

Ditto for Dawes.

Fletch 07-18-2008 10:46 AM

kostik...

as it turned out (with Dubi and how he was used), the team may've been better off with Dubi in the center with Jagr, then Gomez and Cullen and next season, if Anisimov was to be ready, he'd come in for Cullen and possible be shipped, which wouldn't be difficult at $2.8MM per (and I actually thought Cullen was a better wing than center, so I'd feel better about him moving to wing than Drury). With that, they'd have $4.3MM more to spend. Of course, though, this is all hindsight as Sather was building a team for a playoff run and wasn't ready to pencil in Dubinsky to play with Jagr. He played it safe and it cost a pretty penny (and of course he was preparing for life without Jagr, and that meant leadership and the 'C' and Drury's an obvious candidate for that).

chosen 07-18-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trench23 (Post 14916857)
Ditto for Dawes.

I don't necessarily like the comparison between Dawes and Callahan other than they are both small and young.

Dawes has had a bit less experience up here and I especially like the way he performs in traffic. While Callahan might be all over the place there is a calmness to Dawes' game that I think might bode well for his future.

Callahan's offensive production has been nothing short of putrid so far.

Fletch 07-18-2008 10:48 AM

I hear you guys on Cally, but...

are many talking about him as being more than a third liner who may be able to put away 15 goals in a season? What is he 'rated' and what are the expectations of those who think he's overrated?

chosen 07-18-2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 14917372)
are many talking about him as being more than a third liner who may be able to put away 15 goals in a season? What is he 'rated' and what are the expectations of those who think he's overrated?

The same could be said for any player. There is no official ratings book so we are all only going by our own individual perceptions of what we think other people think.

Note: How can people be voting a lot for Gomez? He has been everything we could have hoped for. The people overrating him must have been expecting Gretzky. Without Gomez, the Rangers would have a very difficult time ever gaining the zone and would be forced to dump and chase all game long.

Son of Steinbrenner 07-18-2008 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chosen (Post 14917420)
The same could be said for any player. There is no official ratings book so we are all only going by our own individual perceptions of what we think other people think.

Note: How can people be voting a lot for Gomez? He has been everything we could have hoped for. The people overrating him must have been expecting Gretzky. Without Gomez, the Rangers would have a very difficult time ever gaining the zone and would be forced to dump and chase all game long.

I think only one Rangers fan voted for Gomez..

Unk 07-18-2008 11:20 AM

Callahan. Sure Drury is overrated, but at least he still seems to be a fine 2nd line center, although I think some of his accolades might over blown. Callahan's never exactly impressed me other than his hustle.