HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2009 Special Teams Better Or Worse? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=537607)

Whoot Whoot 07-19-2008 12:55 PM

2009 Special Teams Better Or Worse?

If there is anything I learned via the playoffs (ahem..cough cough...Pitt series) that special teams now are an important part of the game as has ever been.

How do we stand?

Lots of changes, hope Renney doesn't forget to assemble some defensive minded forwards on the roster besides Betts and Drury.

Hopefully Girardi doesn't slump losing his partner and friend Toots.
As he is our best Dman on the kill.

Burlington Bomb 26 07-19-2008 01:01 PM

i would think for Penalty kill it would be Gomez-Cally, Betts-Dawes?, Drury-Dubinsky?
For PP i would think Drury-Gomez-Zherdev with Rozsi and Redden on the point. and the other unit be Naslund-Dubi-Pru and Girardi and Mara on the point.

I Eat Crow 07-19-2008 01:05 PM

PP will be better with Redden at the point along with more puck movement, and the PK will be as good if not slightly worse I think

AverysGlasses 07-19-2008 01:15 PM

I think the Power Play will be due for an increase this year with the new blood on the Roster. The penalty kill, I cant really say :laugh:

Plato 07-19-2008 01:22 PM

There is no way this year's PP will be worse than last years.

King of cool 07-19-2008 01:27 PM

Yeah will be hard for the PP to be worse...

FutureGM97 07-19-2008 02:05 PM

PP can't really be worse than it was. As for the PK i think it is going to be fine with a few new defenseman and players like Fritsche who was a PKer in Columbus and the usual suspects like Betts, Drury, Rozy. Maybe Redden will get put on it but I wouldn't be surprised to see Kalinin or Mara get time on there too.

WhipNash27 07-19-2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plato (Post 14927857)
There is no way this year's PP will be worse than last years.

Was going to say the same thing. No way it could be any worse.

Trxjw 07-19-2008 03:03 PM

Well they're at 34% on my NHL 08. :sarcasm:

But seriously, I think they'll be better. In my opinion, we'll see this:

1st Unit:
Drury - Gomez - Naslund
Rozy - Redden

Drury sets up in front where he's used to being.

2nd:
Zherdev - Dubi - Dawes
Staal - Girardi

Dubi sets up in front like he did on the Jagr unit last year.

FromDubiToZherdev* 07-19-2008 03:18 PM

I think Renney will keep the first two PP units the same as the first two lines with maybe a forward on the point in each PP unit.

NYR Viper 07-19-2008 03:43 PM

i think the special teams will be better.....

pp will be better with players like naslund, zherdev and redden.....

pk will be better and more offensive now that shanny is off of it and players like sjostrom, callahan, gomez, rissmiller, drury, betts will be getting the majority of the killing time....

i really think this team will gel better than last years

shon 07-19-2008 07:34 PM

i think the pp will be fantastic without Jagr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we have great d for the pk.. they all can play.

Carlos Ranger 07-19-2008 09:40 PM

The PP can only be better this year. I'm more worried about the PK as Straka and potentially Shanny will be tough to replace. Although hopefully Dubi will be ready for it.

Drury-Sjostrom
Betts-Callahan
Dubinsky-Fritsche/Shanny

NYR Viper 07-19-2008 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DruMez (Post 14931314)
The PP can only be better this year. I'm more worried about the PK as Straka and potentially Shanny will be tough to replace. Although hopefully Dubi will be ready for it.

Drury-Sjostrom
Betts-Callahan
Dubinsky-Fritsche/Shanny

dont forget gomez........

drury-fritsche
gomez-callahan
betts-sjostrom

speed and a center on every line

Carlos Ranger 07-19-2008 11:10 PM

I didn't forget Gomez, just don't think he's a great pker. ;)

ogie 07-19-2008 11:43 PM

power play will be better. With Redden and Rozy holding it down on the point, and not having the pressure of always getting the puck to Jags definitely helps.

PK maybe a different story but i think staal/girardi as a pair might be a great shutdown pair for PK.