HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Fishstick Follies...... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=538100)

BlueHavok 07-21-2008 06:11 PM

Fishstick Follies......

A little OT, but fun none the less.....found this off of blueshirtbulletin.com ---- thought it would get some interest.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html

Kasper in Capt. Gordon Garb is priceless!!!

Shark Staal 07-21-2008 06:23 PM

hahaha

DubiDubiDoo 07-21-2008 06:27 PM

S.I. is a joke, it annoys me when sports outlets decide that these are the hockey stories worth printing...

Shark Staal 07-21-2008 06:29 PM

does anyone even read SI anymore?

I Eat Crow 07-21-2008 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR (Post 14947712)
does anyone even read SI anymore?

I stopped my subscription two years ago

NYRKing 07-21-2008 07:07 PM

Some articles just crack me: Rich Pilon, Spano, and of course Yashin. But when you remember this dumb team had Luongo and Jokinen and gave them up for Parrish and Kvasha, it makes me want to puke! I love bashing the Isles, but its not even fun anymore.

Maybe a little fun.

Shark Staal 07-21-2008 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRKing (Post 14948126)
Some articles just crack me: Rich Pilon, Spano, and of course Yashin. But when you remember this dumb team had Luongo and Jokinen and gave them up for Parrish and Kvasha, it makes me want to puke! I love bashing the Isles, but its not even fun anymore.

Maybe a little fun.

and Chara, Spezza+ for Yashin:laugh::shakehead

NYRSinceBirth 07-21-2008 07:26 PM

Smyth wept when he got the news... hahaha

LeftCoastRangersFan 07-21-2008 08:49 PM

My fav (12 of 27):

Quote:

The ultimate indignity during that awful 1995-96 season was the Isles' new uniforms, which inspired Ranger fans to chant, "We want fish sticks!" due to the crest's uncanny resemblance to a character associated with a name brand of frozen sea food. The seasick threads were befitting a team that finished with a scurvy mark of 22-50-10.

Cynical TyranT 07-21-2008 11:14 PM

SI generally sucks... but sometimes they throw together a good article. This is just funny. Sucks for the poor Fishies I guess... even worse than NYR of the late 90's

sickboy35 07-21-2008 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT (Post 14950497)
SI generally sucks... but sometimes they throw together a good article. This is just funny. Sucks for the poor Fishies I guess... even worse than NYR of the late 90's

and that is saying alot when u look at how bad we were. man some of those trades were just sickening, chara & spezza for yashin? someone should have been murdered for that and oli and luongo? holy effin ***** batman!

silverfish 07-22-2008 01:11 AM

In the eyes of the Islanders Double Penetration > Luongo

danno2530 07-22-2008 01:26 AM

Maybe the greatest quote I've ever heard:

Quote:

Now free to work his magic, Milbury gave himself the nickname Mad Mike by dealing cornerstone goaltender Roberto Luongo and forward Olli Jokinen to Florida on draft day for Mark Parrish and Oleg Kvasha. "As dangerous as this may be," Milbury said, "we think Mad Mike may have something going for him."

Bluenote13 07-22-2008 09:48 AM

Such a trainwreck. We were pretty bad for awhile as well, but not like the Icelanders.

Shame, I really hope they become a decent team soon, cause if anything, the competition of the rivalry is always best when both teams are good.

jagrgodr 07-22-2008 10:52 AM

i dont know why you guys are complaining, that was a great article. I had no idea the islanders won 3 in a row, and had so many problems. That article shows how great of a team they were, much better than the Rangers ever were. Its a shame they suck ass now. Great read, they put 27 pages together on one of those picture story things and i've never seen that many. They did a really good job on this.

Bluenote13 07-22-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagrgodr (Post 14953516)
i dont know why you guys are complaining, that was a great article. I had no idea the islanders won 3 in a row, and had so many problems. That article shows how great of a team they were, much better than the Rangers ever were. Its a shame they suck ass now. Great read, they put 27 pages together on one of those picture story things and i've never seen that many. They did a really good job on this.

4 cups in a row. Imagine what that was like to us Ranger fans who were alive then. Thankfully I was only in elementary school:D

zestystrat 07-22-2008 11:09 AM

As much as I hate the F'sticks on the ice, their fans and hockey fans deserve better.

It was truly painful to read all 27 points.

Forechecker 07-22-2008 11:27 AM

My favorite bit:

Quote:

Embroiled in a contract hassle with popular goalie Glenn Healy, GM Maloney signed Ron Hextall, who became a target for fan wrath during the Isles' first-round playoff sweep by the eventual Stanley Cup champion Rangers in the '94 playoffs. The bitter defeat, which included two 6-0 shutouts, hastened the retirement of coach Al Arbour.

nexusrage21 07-22-2008 11:37 AM

Quote:

Defenseman Rich Pilon, a 10-year veteran, summed up the Isles' sorry state of affairs by saying, ''It's like the players don't really know what the ownership's priorities are, but we're paid well to do this job, so we've got to keep playing. The fans don't know what's going on, so they're frustrated, and the worst thing is that a club with a great history is falling apart.''
That is a really good quote that I'm sure could apply to many teams including ours at different points.

Shark Staal 07-22-2008 11:47 AM

i want to ask Don Maloney why the hell did he take a job with the fishies.

cjdv16 07-22-2008 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13 (Post 14952966)
We were pretty bad for awhile as well, but not like the Icelanders.

you must have been a below-average student in Math....

pavvento 07-22-2008 12:04 PM

You can probably add #28- my best friend ran into Nolan last week (two days after he was fired) and he said that he respects the organization but Snow has no idea what he's doing and the organization will be sold within the next 5 years. Could be a man talking out of anger, but also doesn't seem too far fetched.

Shark Staal 07-22-2008 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjdv16 (Post 14954299)

your horrible years are different then the ones we had. our team never tried to rebuild. You guys are rebuilding now. We always tried to cover-up that we were bad and bought superstars like lindros, carter:laugh:, bure, and kovalev.

Bluenote13 07-22-2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjdv16 (Post 14954299)

Yeah, until you find out I do bookkeeping for one of the largest indie companies in my industry.

No matter, I was referring to the level of absurdity thats gone on with your organization. Depth of ineptness, not really the length of it. Have a nice day;)

HoosierDaddy 07-22-2008 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13 (Post 14953620)
4 cups in a row. Imagine what that was like to us Ranger fans who were alive then. Thankfully I was only in elementary school:D

Don't have to imagine. I lived on the Island and then Queens when there was no room on the STanley Cup bandwagon. If they remain a joke for an eternity it would not be long enough. I'll gladly take the indignity of those 4 (5 really) for the ring side seat to watch that Dis-organization melt-down...down.....down. :handclap: And their managerie of hidious uniforms is the cherry on the cake.:rant: