HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   FYI - Renney on WFAN at 9AM Today (Friday) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=539035)

oranges99 07-25-2008 05:51 AM

FYI - Renney on WFAN at 9AM Today (Friday)
 
Thankfully Boomer loves Ranger hockey...

I for one will be in yet, another all day IT strategic planning session. Can someone take diligent notes and write a 500 word essay when the interview is over?

Thanks in advance!

DonCherrysSuit 07-25-2008 07:46 AM

Wow, waking up early is good for something. Can't believe I found this fifteen minutes before airtime, thanks for the tip!

pjdude 07-25-2008 08:07 AM

it's 9:10, still no renney. not even a word that he will be on.

Harry Vee 07-25-2008 08:18 AM

Whens renney coming on?!?:scared:

DonCherrysSuit 07-25-2008 08:26 AM

Here he is

Edit: Long story short [or should I say short story short since it was the shortest interview ever], Renney is excited for the new defense, confirms that the new offense will be based around speed and passing, and then Boomer's cohost goes "No one cares about hockey" and they moved on to the Yankees.

Speedtrials 07-25-2008 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo23 (Post 14984955)
Here he is

Edit: Long story short [or should I say short story short since it was the shortest interview ever], Renney is excited for the new defense, confirms that the new offense will be based around speed and passing, and then Boomer's cohost goes "No one cares about hockey" and they moved on to the Yankees.


Just listened to it too. Man I hate how little respect gets around here. Anyway, Renney sounded pumped up, and genuinely optimistic about Zherdev playing well here.

UnderPSI 07-25-2008 08:34 AM

Holy short interview batman

pjdude 07-25-2008 08:34 AM

WOW a whole 10 minute interview. that other host left the interview, then came back and said "no one cares about hockey" what an ass.

HockeyBasedNYC 07-25-2008 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo23 (Post 14984955)
Here he is

Edit: Long story short [or should I say short story short since it was the shortest interview ever], Renney is excited for the new defense, confirms that the new offense will be based around speed and passing, and then Boomer's cohost goes "No one cares about hockey" and they moved on to the Yankees.

Thats a surprise.

I think its been 4 months now, since i turned on 660. I used to listen to it every day. One day i just had enough. Between M&MM and their stupid feud, and total lack of hockey coverage and that other bum Carton who i cant stand for one second, i'm proud that ive finally made the disconnect.

Well overdue. I dont know what faith i was riding on that things would change.

HockeyBasedNYC 07-25-2008 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjdude (Post 14985011)
WOW a whole 10 minute interview. that other host left the interview, then came back and said "no one cares about hockey" what an ass.

Thats just utter disrespect imo.


And sadly, its everywhere.

I see it like this. Those bums dont deserve to watch or like a game with this much passion, skill, heart and courage. Because they obviously aren't that familiar with those attributes.

hpNYR 07-25-2008 08:41 AM

That guy needs to be hung from his ears.

SupersonicMonkey* 07-25-2008 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbo23 (Post 14984955)
and then Boomer's cohost goes "No one cares about hockey" and they moved on to the Yankees.

:shakehead

SupersonicMonkey* 07-25-2008 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC (Post 14985052)
Thats just utter disrespect imo.


And sadly, its everywhere.

I see it like this. Those bums dont deserve to watch or like a game with this much passion, skill, heart and courage. Because they obviously aren't that familiar with those attributes.

They're just upset because they CAN'T SKATE.

Melrose_Jr. 07-25-2008 09:04 AM

Thank god I am out of range of this asinine station.

ruckus* 07-25-2008 09:16 AM

The only thing worse than the lack of coverage hockey gets, is the people who constantly whine about it. This whole woe is me attitude because something you enjoy, isn't enjoyed by the majority, is ridiculous. All of us have plenty of access to this league, and plenty of places for information and news.

Stepan Razor 07-25-2008 09:46 AM

it wasnt carton, it was chris carlin, who is another moron.

JBytes 07-25-2008 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robruckus (Post 14985289)
...All of us have plenty of access to this league, and plenty of places for information and news.

And not to mention the fact that these so-called interviews almost never reveal anything worthwhile.

Carlos Ranger 07-25-2008 10:21 AM

Audio: http://podcast.wfan.com/wfan/1229831.mp3

BklyNYR4Life 07-25-2008 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robruckus (Post 14985289)
The only thing worse than the lack of coverage hockey gets, is the people who constantly whine about it. This whole woe is me attitude because something you enjoy, isn't enjoyed by the majority, is ridiculous. All of us have plenty of access to this league, and plenty of places for information and news.

Its not so much an issue (to me at least) that hockeys gets little to no media coverage, its the blatant disrespect and ignorance that gets me. they just had the head coach...of the rangers...on the show, and one of the guys leaves the booth, and his only comment is "well nobody cares about hockey" that's just rude

Synergy27 07-25-2008 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robruckus (Post 14985289)
The only thing worse than the lack of coverage hockey gets, is the people who constantly whine about it. This whole woe is me attitude because something you enjoy, isn't enjoyed by the majority, is ridiculous. All of us have plenty of access to this league, and plenty of places for information and news.

I agree. I never really understood why anybody cares what the rest of the world thinks about our game. I like to make the music analogy - I'm into a lot of indie and underground music that I know is amazing. It gets little, if any, mainstream respect, but for that reason it is actually perceived as "cool" or "hip" or "cutting edge" (whatever any of that means). Why is it different for sports? I could care less if prep-school frat boy or inner-city youth likes hockey. I do, and that's good enough for me. It's not like the bad press threatens the league's existence. It's been this way forever...

Mr Bojanglez 07-25-2008 10:27 AM

I seriously despise the Fan. Mike Francessa claims "oh i don't know too much about hockey, I can't really comment" Well what is your job? Your a sports talk show host, why don't you go out and learn something?

He'll sit there and talk for a solid 10 minutes about the Belmont and Big Brown... without any callers.

Then he talks about hockey for 5 minutes with numerous guys calling in "great to hear about hockey, blah"

I know mike loves horse racing, and hates hockey. I mean does that not show his agenda? He goes in depth detail about horse racing, but I didn't really hear too many callers.

I just hate how they don't even try. Its the trendy thing to make fun of hockey. Having studied mass media, it makes me wonder. Is hockey unpopular -> therefore the talking heads don't discuss it? Or is it because the talking heads don't discuss -> that hockey isn't popular?

To the casual sports fan, who gets his/her information by just watching sports center. To have their announcers make fun of hockey (conviently as ESPN no longer has a contract) just pains me. Then joe schmo, who wants to seem "with it" does the same thing.

Mr Bojanglez 07-25-2008 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synergy27 (Post 14985893)
I agree. I never really understood why anybody cares what the rest of the world thinks about our game. I like to make the music analogy - I'm into a lot of indie and underground music that I know is amazing. It gets little, if any, mainstream respect, but for that reason it is actually perceived as "cool" or "hip" or "cutting edge" (whatever any of that means). Why is it different for sports? I could care less if prep-school frat boy or inner-city youth likes hockey. I do, and that's good enough for me. It's not like the bad press threatens the league's existence. It's been this way forever...

I see what you mean. But when I can't go into a TGI Fridays to watch a regular season game cause baseball pre-season is on... that pisses me off

BDubinskyNYR17* 07-25-2008 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BklyNYR4Life (Post 14985853)
Its not so much an issue (to me at least) that hockeys gets little to no media coverage, its the blatant disrespect and ignorance that gets me. they just had the head coach...of the rangers...on the show, and one of the guys leaves the booth, and his only comment is "well nobody cares about hockey" that's just rude

if someone said that about the nba they would have had some gang wars lol but seriously i dont understand why hockey gets treated so badly as a sport. is it because people need to be not rich but make a decent living to play it, or because not enough of that ghetto attitude that everyone loves nowadays. its sad. when spreewell choked his coach, oj killed someone its mentioned all the time in the news along with nba and nfl sports scores and people would talk about it. but when something bad happens like simon swapping hollweg with a stick or fighting leaves a player with a concussion it makes front page along with why hockey is a bad sport. they mention the NBA Allstar game on the front page but only 2 sentences about the NHL Allstar game.

HockeyBasedNYC 07-25-2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synergy27 (Post 14985893)
I agree. I never really understood why anybody cares what the rest of the world thinks about our game. I like to make the music analogy - I'm into a lot of indie and underground music that I know is amazing. It gets little, if any, mainstream respect, but for that reason it is actually perceived as "cool" or "hip" or "cutting edge" (whatever any of that means). Why is it different for sports? I could care less if prep-school frat boy or inner-city youth likes hockey. I do, and that's good enough for me. It's not like the bad press threatens the league's existence. It's been this way forever...

The difference is there is a direct attack on the game for no reason.

Like they go out of their way to bash it.

No one is bashing an underground minimal house dj in the meatpacking district because they dont even know it exists.

I agree with your analogy, and we are all better off feeling like we are part of something special because its got that quality. But when sportscasters, media and sports jockeys go out of their way to say "no one cares about hockey", they are poking at the millions of passionate fans that they KNOW are out there.

Thats what pisses me off.

They wont take the time or the energy to actually have the empathy for hockey fans and walk in their shoes. Francessa sees himself as a NY sports genius and yet hes had 40+ years to make himself well-rounded in the world of New York sports, but he chooses not to for whatever reason. Its a disgrace and its lazy, unprofessional and totally irresponsible to the fans that tune in IMO.

They dont like the game, fine. Dont talk about it. That includes chiming in with the smirk remarks and backhanded comments to the game and its fans.

I mean for chrissakes Francessa talks more about TENNIS with Russo. Francessa doesnt like tennis... but at least he tries to...

chosen 07-25-2008 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyH2O (Post 14985894)
Is hockey unpopular -> therefore the talking heads don't discuss it? Or is it because the talking heads don't discuss -> that hockey isn't popular?

It is unquestionably the first option.

And for the other poster who complained about pre-season baseball, accept that viewership for pre-season baseball dwarfs regular season hockey and I wouldn't be surprised if it beats Stanley Cup broadcasts.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.