HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Confirmed Signing with Link: Caps' Morrisonn Awarded 1.975 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=539370)

Andrew 07-26-2008 02:42 PM

Caps' Morrisonn Awarded 1.975

Per Tarik El Bashir's Caps blog, wasn't sure what prefix to put on there;

Quote:

Morrisonn Under Contract

Defenseman Shaone Morrisonn was awarded a one-year contract worth $1.975 million in salary arbitration and is under contract with the Capitals for next season.

Morrisonn, who was the only remaining unsigned player, made $900,000 last season and ranked third among Caps defensemen in ice time.
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capitalsinsider/

Blades 0f Steel 07-26-2008 02:44 PM

I hereby award him the title of 'oddest name in the NHL'.

Harrison Ford 07-26-2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel (Post 14995770)
I hereby award him the title of 'oddest name in the NHL'.

Oddest first name definitely. Actually the last name is pretty weird too. Hes up there. :laugh:

The Fuhr 07-26-2008 02:46 PM

Solid deal, Morrisonn is emerging as one of the best shutdown defensemen in the NHL.

To bad it is not long term because he is a season away from really emerging as a very solid player.

nautikal 07-26-2008 02:56 PM

I usually just pronounce it "Shay-one" because it's fun, but I think it's pronounced Sean or Shane.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuhr86 (Post 14995781)
Solid deal, Morrisonn is emerging as one of the best shutdown defensemen in the NHL.

To bad it is not long term because he is a season away from really emerging as a very solid player.

If he would stop pushing people into the goalie :cry:.

Andrew 07-26-2008 03:06 PM

I made the mistake of calling him Shane at rookie camp his first season, and I got a cold stare, lol. I believe it is supposed to be pronounced like Sean.

Mike Farkas 07-26-2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew (Post 14995921)
I made the mistake of calling him Shane at rookie camp his first season, and I got a cold stare, lol. I believe it is supposed to be pronounced like Sean.

Yes it is. It's all Irish (or something from that area, I can never get them quite right).

Morrisonn is a very underrated player on the Caps blueline.

Ziggy Stardust 07-26-2008 04:08 PM

I miss Shjon Podein. Now that is a hockey name.

Marc the Habs Fan 07-26-2008 04:24 PM

This deal puts Washington way over the cap, even with Pothier on LTIR.

It would suck to see a kid like Alzner get robbed of a job due to his 1.65 M cap hit but unless they make a trade, it seems very possible.

regehr 07-26-2008 04:28 PM

A player's actual cap hit is his cap number x the # of days he is on the active roster. For players with bonuses, like Alzner, their entire potential salary + bonuses counts against the cap -- in his case $1,675,000.

But, as the season progresses, if a player becomes ineligible for a bonus it comes off the player's cap count and that amount will become available to the team - but only for that season.

I don't know Alzner's specific bonus structure, but often players get bonuses for games played. For example, let's say Alzner gets a $300,000 bonus for playing 60 games. So if the Caps start him in Hershey, after the 22-game mark, Alzner's cap hit for this yr would drop to $1,375,000.

Moreover, a player's cap hit is his cap number x the # of days he's on the active roster. So if Alzner played 1/2 the yr in Hersey and was re-called at mid-season and played 41 games in Washington, his actual cap hit would be 50% x $1,375,000 = $687,500, instead of the full $1,675,000. That would save the Caps $987,500 in cap space and put the Caps under the upper limit.

So the Caps can get under the limit with the roster they have if Alzer plays half the year in Hershey.

danishh 07-26-2008 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan (Post 14996533)

It would suck to see a kid like Alzner get robbed of a job due to his 1.65 M cap hit but unless they make a trade, it seems very possible.

nah, the way i see it, with pothier on IR they are only ~600k over. That's with 15 forwards. As long as they demote some, they'll be fine. Carry a 20-man roster until they can make a trade i guess. Kozlov has to be the best target to move, unless they are open to moving clark.

brs03 07-26-2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan (Post 14996533)

The Caps aren't way over, it's only ~956K assuming Alzner makes the team (which is very likely). Trading Brashear, or waiving 2 of Fleischmann, Gordon, and Jurcina (to replace with 1 cheaper player, like Osala or Laing or Lepisto), or putting Clark on LTIR if he's not healthy by camp, any of those would work.

Or Lepisto could just be better than Alzner in camp and solve the problem right there.

third man in 07-26-2008 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Farkas (Post 14996016)
Yes it is. It's all Irish (or something from that area, I can never get them quite right).

Morrisonn is a very underrated player on the Caps blueline.

This is correct. It is the Gaelic/Irish version of Sean. Its pronounced the same way.

Marc the Habs Fan 07-26-2008 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brs03 (Post 14996615)
The Caps aren't way over, it's only ~956K assuming Alzner makes the team (which is very likely). Trading Brashear, or waiving 2 of Fleischmann, Gordon, and Jurcina (to replace with 1 cheaper player, like Osala or Laing or Lepisto), or putting Clark on LTIR if he's not healthy by camp, any of those would work.

Or Lepisto could just be better than Alzner in camp and solve the problem right there.

956 K over means needing to shed nearly 2 M in cap space. You can't go into the season with no wiggle room, most teams have at least 800 K-1 M in wiggle room.

I agree there are several roster moves they can make and they do have young talent on the cheap as ''replacements'' for higher paid guys, but the easiest solution from a pure cap space point is not rushing Alzner and farming him out.

brs03 07-26-2008 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan (Post 14997541)
956 K over means needing to shed nearly 2 M in cap space. You can't go into the season with no wiggle room, most teams have at least 800 K-1 M in wiggle room.

I agree there are several roster moves they can make and they do have young talent on the cheap as ''replacements'' for higher paid guys, but the easiest solution from a pure cap space point is not rushing Alzner and farming him out.

Our wiggle room is the ability to (on paper) demote and promote Alzner at will, or actually demote him and replace him with Lepisto at will.

Come trade deadline day I could see someone like Kozlov being moved to clear up cap space (he's great value, but not really worth anything in the playoffs) since his contract is expiring.

Legionnaire 07-26-2008 07:00 PM

Note to young hockey players, concentrate on offense if you want any money. :shakehead

Barney Gumble 07-26-2008 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brs03 (Post 14996615)
The Caps aren't way over, it's only ~956K assuming Alzner makes the team (which is very likely).

His spot still needs to be replaced (Caps have only 7 signed D including Alzner - going with only 6 D on the roster is pretty risky) - that replacement will cost a minimum of something like $500,000; so it's not really around $950,000 but about $1.45 million.

If you dump 2 forwards - you have to add at least one (to have 13 signed forwards - again going with only 12 forwards on the roster is risky) - and again, that added forward will be making at least $500,000.

brs03 07-26-2008 09:24 PM

That was my point. If they dump Gordon and Fleischmann for Laing (or something like that), they're fine. Same with doing Fleischmann and Jurcina for Lepisto. Or Alzner for Lepisto straight up would get them there, but that needs to be a hockey decision and not a money one.

Lepisto only makes 700K, and Laing is 487K or something, so they're good pieces to sub in if others are moved around.

Barney Gumble 07-26-2008 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brs03 (Post 14998406)
That was my point. If they dump Gordon and Fleischmann for Laing (or something like that), they're fine. Same with doing Fleischmann and Jurcina for Lepisto. Or Alzner for Lepisto straight up would get them there, but that needs to be a hockey decision and not a money one.

Lepisto only makes 700K, and Laing is 487K or something, so they're good pieces to sub in if others are moved around.

Still not enough - unless I'm incorrect in the way I'm calculating things....

Gordon.............(725,000)
Fleischmann......(725,000)
Liang...............+500,000 (rounding for the sake of simplicity)
Alzner..............(1,675,000)
Lepisto.............+700,000

Gain in cap space...........1,925,000
Cap space needed..........2,690,000

Caps could fit just under the cap if they also dealt Brashear for a pick and/or prospect and just put a minimum wage enforcer guy in his spot.

Course even if this was done - it would leave them with pretty much zero "wiggle room".

brs03 07-26-2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Gumble (Post 14998481)
Still not enough - unless I'm incorrect in the way I'm calculating things....

Gordon.............(725,000)
Fleischmann......(725,000)
Liang...............+500,000 (rounding for the sake of simplicity)
Alzner..............(1,675,000)
Lepisto.............+700,000

Gain in cap space...........1,925,000
Cap space needed..........2,690,000

Caps could fit just under the cap if they also dealt Brashear for a pick and/or prospect and just put a minimum wage enforcer guy in his spot.

Course even if this was done - it would leave them with pretty much zero "wiggle room".

As the Caps now stand, they're over by 956,101 (by my count), that's including Alzner on the roster. Alzner out and Lepisto in would put them under by 18,899. Gordon and Fleischmann out and Jurcina in would put them under by 6,399. Brashear out and nobody in would put them under by 243,899. It looks like Jurcina and Fleischmann/Gordon out and Lepisto in isn't quite there, you're right.

There's not much wiggle room. Assuming someone expensive(ish) doesn't get moved, the Caps' wiggle room will have to be bought with paper transactions involving Alzner or Lepisto. Demote them every day there isn't a game, promote them for games only, buy yourself some space for the deadline. Deal Kozlov (or someone else) at the deadline, and they might have enough room to move.

All of this is, of course, assuming Clark will be healthy. If he isn't then there could be another LTIR move coming that would buy them all the space they need.

nautikal 07-26-2008 10:10 PM

As far as I know you can't just "take someone out". As long as they're on your NHL roster, they count against the cap. The only way to take them out is to assign them to Hershey, and you cannot do that without sending most players through waivers. The only exceptions I know are Fehr and Laing.

Barney Gumble 07-26-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brs03 (Post 14998618)
As the Caps now stand, they're over by 956,101 (by my count), that's including Alzner on the roster.

I'm going by Irish Blues' numbers on this webpage:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=WAS

brs03 07-26-2008 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Gumble (Post 14998693)
I'm going by Irish Blues' numbers on this webpage:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=WAS

For some reason that page doesn't list Schultz as being in the NHL; that's wrong.

brs03 07-26-2008 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautikal (Post 14998658)
As far as I know you can't just "take someone out". As long as they're on your NHL roster, they count against the cap. The only way to take them out is to assign them to Hershey, and you cannot do that without sending most players through waivers. The only exceptions I know are Fehr and Laing.

When I said taking out Gordon, Fleischmann, etc, I meant waiving them. And both Fehr and Laing are subject to waivers; the only waiver exempt players the Caps will have are Alzner and Lepisto (and any of the other prospects). That's why one of those two is the likely one for the paper transaction, they are our flexibility because they're exempt.