HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Roenick's injury (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=53972)

GBailey93 02-20-2004 08:47 AM

Roenick's injury
 
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...04-249850.html

The word out of the Barrow Institute sounded ominous.

"They said I probably did something to my brain stem that shifted my brain," Roenick said.


That doesn't sound good.

scott 02-20-2004 09:47 AM

anyone know when brashear will be back?

Steve L* 02-20-2004 10:09 AM

Reading that and the Zhamnov trade.

Do they both equal JRs retirement? On the one hand Id love to see him play, on the other I dont want his health screwed up permanently.

Im sure he will choose the right option.

FlyersFan10* 02-20-2004 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBailey93
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...04-249850.html

The word out of the Barrow Institute sounded ominous.

"They said I probably did something to my brain stem that shifted my brain," Roenick said.


That doesn't sound good.

I've suffered a few concussions and one of the concussions ended a high school wrestling career. Whenever you do damage to the brain stem, there are several things that can occur. The most serious is the narrowing of the brain stem (which is what happened to me). I agree that this does not sound good at all and that we might have to get used to the fact that Roenick's career is over and that we're going to have to run with what we've got for centermen. The only bright side to this is that it opens a spot for someone like Carter or Richards. I'm really hoping that if Carter's season in Junior ends early, the Flyers give him a call up and let him see how he handles himself. I think that he could be ready to step in to the line up.

Gert B Frobe 02-20-2004 08:46 PM

They just reported on CNN that more tests of Roenick's brain stem are forthcoming. Doesn't look good for JR at all. He should just hope for next year at the best.

Rails 02-20-2004 09:22 PM

Damn Rags.

The Seeker 25 02-21-2004 08:15 AM

An article on TSN.ca
 
Roenick needs more tests


PHILADELPHIA (CP) -- Flyers centre Jeremy Roenick says his recovery from a severe concussion suffered last week is not going well at all.

The 34-year-old star says that a neurologist has advised him to get an MRI exam on his brain stem, the Philadelphia Inquirer reports. He remains with his family at their summer home outside Phoenix in Paradise Valley, Ariz. When he is physically able to leave their house, his wife Tracy does most of the driving.

"I'm not feeling any better. In fact, I feel worse," Roenick told the Inquirer. "One day to the next, it's the same. I just don't feel any better. My head is playing games with me. I don't have any energy."

Because of his uncertain status, the Flyers traded for Chicago centre Alexei Zhamnov on Thursday night.

Roenick underwent an evaluation this week at the Barrow Neurological Institute of St. Joseph's Hospital in Phoenix.

"They want me to have an MRI on my brain stem," Roenick said. "They think something has happened back there and it's affecting me right now. They think it's tied to my equilibrium being out of whack and my eyesight."

Roenick said he failed a test in which he was asked to follow an object as it moved across his field of vision.

"When I tried to follow it, they said my eyes got all jumpy," he said.

Roenick is contemplating retirement after suffering his ninth career concussion.

dedalus 02-21-2004 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harper
Damn Rags.

Is it your suggestion that Mironov was shooting at Roenick's head?

Bob Clarke Fan Club 02-21-2004 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dedalus
Is it your suggestion that Mironov was shooting at Roenick's head?



Didn't you know? we blame the Rags for everything. :)

biggbloo 02-21-2004 07:54 PM

Anyone who has suffered a severe brain injury can understand J.R.'s trouble...
 
I suffered a life threatening brain trauma in 2001,(I'm actually still affected by it to this day),and If J.R. needs some time to re-evaluate his career,he should take it. I actually think that he's going to retire after this season,and that last game against the Rangers was his final game. It's a damned shame,especially since he was so much fun at the All-Star game,but he'll definately get a job for ESPN behind the mike.He'll be a hell of a lot better than that mullet-wearing putz who never had the kind of playing career as J.R.

Rex88 02-21-2004 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggbloo
I suffered a life threatening brain trauma in 2001,(I'm actually still affected by it to this day),and If J.R. needs some time to re-evaluate his career,he should take it. I actually think that he's going to retire after this season,and that last game against the Rangers was his final game. It's a damned shame,especially since he was so much fun at the All-Star game,but he'll definately get a job for ESPN behind the mike.He'll be a hell of a lot better than that mullet-wearing putz who never had the kind of playing career as J.R.

I agree with the entire thing - he is done and even if he tries the playoffs, I think a full season next year is crazy.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.