HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Let's Build Next Year's Team - First Pairing Left Defenseman (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=539779)

Inferno 07-28-2008 10:45 AM

Let's Build Next Year's Team - First Pairing Left Defenseman

Im sorta ripping off flylines yearly prospect post, and kinda building a twist around it. Were going to vote on the lines for next year. Im going to go position by position, and were going to have a vote for every single player, even the more obvious choices till we fill out an entire roster.

The assumptions here are the team carrying 2 goalies, 1 backup defenseman, and 2 backup forwards. The first few obvious prospects will also be listed in every vote, along with an "other" option. This is if you feel another player not listed is a better choice than any of the other players.

The Roster As It Stands Now:

Markus Naslund (52.83%) - Scotty Gomez (91.67%) - Nikolai Zherdev (78.02%)
Nigel Dawes - Chris Drury (54.48%) - Petr Prucha (40.91%)
Dan Fritsche (45.21%) - Brandon Dubinsky (93.15%) - Ryan Callahan (63.08%)
Freddy Sjostrom (56.52%) - Blair Betts (94.92%) - Aaron Voros (42.71%)
Colton Orr (58.18%)
Patrick Rissmiller (60.66%)

First Pairing Left Defenseman
- First Pairing Right Defenseman
Second Pairing Left Defenseman - Second Pairing Right Defenseman
Third Pairing Left Defenseman - Third Pairing Right Defenseman
Backup Defenseman

Starting Goalie
Backup Goalie

Inferno 07-28-2008 10:48 AM

I suck at trying to remember which side of the ice which defenseman plays, but i do remember Staal scoring his goal against Brodeur on the left side, and his first goal against Brodeur from the left side, and plastering his brother to the ice on the left side, so my guess is he plays left defense.

nyrcallahan24 07-28-2008 10:49 AM

I think staalsy should be left on the first pairing.

Captain Monglobster 07-28-2008 10:53 AM

I believe Redden and Roszival both play on the right side, but regardless there is no way that they should be allowed to end up on the same pair. Staal and Girardi will need to be the physical presences on the top two pairs.

NYR Viper 07-28-2008 11:13 AM

i put redden....figure staal will play the right side as redden will be the more offensive guy and will want the stick to the outside

BDubinskyNYR17* 07-28-2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 (Post 15008875)
i put redden....figure staal will play the right side as redden will be the more offensive guy and will want the stick to the outside

can we do a poll like this for the wolfpack?? it would be fun as well

Burlington Bomb 26 07-28-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno272 (Post 15008608)
I suck at trying to remember which side of the ice which defenseman plays, but i do remember Staal scoring his goal against Brodeur on the left side, and his first goal against Brodeur from the left side, and plastering his brother to the ice on the left side, so my guess is he plays left defense.

he hit his brother on the right side of the ice.

Burlington Bomb 26 07-28-2008 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 (Post 15008875)

actually if you'd rather him get harder and more accurate shots you want him to play on the opposite side....i dont know if hes a left handed shot or a right handed shot though.

Inferno 07-28-2008 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR (Post 15009241)
he hit his brother on the right side of the ice.

im almost positive it was on the left (defensive left, offensive right)

Dredden 07-28-2008 12:33 PM

Staal

Thirty One 07-28-2008 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno272 (Post 15008608)

Staal and Redden play left side, Rozsival and Girardi right. Mara can play either, Kalinin I don't know.

BDubinskyNYR17* 07-28-2008 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -31- (Post 15009796)
Staal and Redden play left side, Rozsival and Girardi right. Mara can play either, Kalinin I don't know.

i think kalinin played the left side like tyutin did.

Cherepanisimov 07-28-2008 01:03 PM

staal

Mr Bojanglez 07-28-2008 01:10 PM

If Redden is a LD, then he needs to be on your number 1

azrok22 07-28-2008 01:17 PM

Quote:

If Redden is a LD, then he needs to be on your number 1
Actually, given that Volchenkov-Phillips played the shut down role in Ottawa, I think Redden slots in perfectly fine next to Girardi, allowing the Rangers to keep Staal-Rozsival in tact.

L-R

Staal-Rozsival
Redden-Girardi
Kalinin-Mara
Pock

Staal and Girardi are more defensive minded than Redden and Rozsival, leading to my belief that they should be split up.

More importantly, the Staal-Rozi and Redden-Girardi pairs should see roughly the same even strength ice time, and is more demonstrative of our new superstar-free, production-by-committee approach.

Defensively, Redden + Rozi man the points on the first PP. Hopefully, Rozsival returns to early season form, and without Jagr to defer to, becomes less hesitant to shoot the puck, as he has an excellent shot.

silverfish 07-28-2008 01:18 PM

Staal. With Redden's lefty shot it will be easier for him to shoot from the right side.

Mr Bojanglez 07-28-2008 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azrok22 (Post 15010086)
Actually, given that Volchenkov-Phillips played the shut down role in Ottawa, I think Redden slots in perfectly fine next to Girardi, allowing the Rangers to keep Staal-Rozsival in tact.

L-R

Staal-Rozsival
Redden-Girardi
Kalinin-Mara
Pock

Staal and Girardi are more defensive minded than Redden and Rozsival, leading to my belief that they should be split up.

More importantly, the Staal-Rozi and Redden-Girardi pairs should see roughly the same even strength ice time, and is more demonstrative of our new superstar-free, production-by-committee approach.

Defensively, Redden + Rozi man the points on the first PP. Hopefully, Rozsival returns to early season form, and without Jagr to defer to, becomes less hesitant to shoot the puck, as he has an excellent shot.

I was more implying because of his salary. But I understand what you mean, he fits better with Girardi.

The Perfect Paradox 07-28-2008 01:42 PM

I voted for Staal. I suck at remebering which side he plays on. I'm pretty sure he plays left tho :)

nyr2k2 07-28-2008 01:49 PM

Staal. It's a no-brainer for me.

FLYLine24 07-28-2008 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azrok22 (Post 15010086)

L-R

Staal-Rozsival
Redden-Girardi
Kalinin-Mara
Pock

The contract that Redden was given means he will be on the top pair getting 23 minutes a game. Unless he really plays like garbage it will be his spot to lose.

Staal and Redden will be the top pair.

Carlos Ranger 07-28-2008 02:49 PM

Staal-Redden
Girardi-Rozsival
Kalinin-Mara
Pock
Potter

Radek27 07-28-2008 02:54 PM

Redden

Thirty One 07-28-2008 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DruMez (Post 15011095)
Staal-Redden
Girardi-Rozsival
Kalinin-Mara
Pock
Potter

you have 2 left defensemen together and 2 right defensemen

azrok22 07-28-2008 06:39 PM

Quote:

Staal-Redden
Girardi-Rozsival
Kalinin-Mara
Pock
Potter
Quote:

you have 2 left defensemen together and 2 right defensemen
That's my same concern with putting Redden and Staal together. For L-R balance sake, Girardi and Rozsival really need to be split up. That means you either stick Girardi on the third pairing (thus forcing either Mara or Kalinin onto the second pairing) or break up Staal-Redden.

Further, Rozsival prefers playing the right point on the PP, so playing Redden on the right for even strength and left for the PP is something I'd rather not do... keep him on the left and split our two right-handed shots.

In regard to Redden seeing 23 minutes/night, I'd prefer splitting the time more evenly between the first two d pairs and limiting the third. Staal, Redden, Rozsival, and Girardi could all see ~22 minutes a night, with Mara and Kalinin seeing ~16 minutes.

AXN 07-28-2008 08:05 PM

Redden is the number one left defender. If Staal is on the left then he is behind him. I am shocked people here voted otherwise.