HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What the Nucks Need (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=53984)

lubomirvaic 02-20-2004 09:54 AM

What the Nucks Need

On Sportsnet last night, Canucks fans voted that the team needed the presense of Chris Pronger for a playoff run. What do any of the rest of you think the team needs? With Nazzy injured right now, I really think we need to upgrade our forwards (especially after last nights performance). Do we sell the farm and go after a player like O'Neill? Or do we we talk to the Rangers and see if we can get Kovalev, Lindros or even Nedved (not likely) to bolster the top lines? Any thoughts as to what it would take to land a decent forward after the recent trades have occurred?

Drake1588 02-20-2004 09:56 AM

They need a goaltender, but they won't pursue one. Not until the summer, anyway.

GKJ 02-20-2004 10:03 AM

Well, they wouldn't get Chris Pronger, obviously, that kind of high-profile defenseman isn't available (Sergei Gonchar is not a Pronger-like presence). Maybe if they add Boughner, and trade for Lang or maybe Francis even someone like Mike Sillinger. There's moves to be made and the Canucks have to be one of the teams to make one.

EroCaps 02-20-2004 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Well, they wouldn't get Chris Pronger, obviously, that kind of high-profile defenseman isn't available (Sergei Gonchar is not a Pronger-like presence). Maybe if they add Boughner, and trade for Lang or maybe Francis even someone like Mike Sillinger. There's moves to be made and the Canucks have to be one of the teams to make one.

Lang would look good in VAN, but I don't see McPhee giving him away.

It'd cost you Sopel/Allen, King and a pick I'm guessing.

Peter Griffin 02-20-2004 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drake1588
They need a goaltender, but they won't pursue one. Not until the summer, anyway.

:shakehead

Cloutier is not the problem.

Peter Griffin 02-20-2004 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EroCaps
Lang would look good in VAN, but I don't see McPhee giving him away.

It'd cost you Sopel/Allen, King and a pick I'm guessing.

Caps would have to pick up half his remaining salary if that is the asking price...

Drake1588 02-20-2004 10:09 AM

I don't actually see Vancouver making many moves, though they might decide to swing a deal for O'Neill, if ownership can be convinced to spend the money on him down the line. Bertuzzi's salary might hamstring their ability to add long-term salary.

Ozy_Flame 02-20-2004 10:18 AM

First Kovalev, now Pronger? Pipe dreams, Canuckleheads. Landing the best talent in the league strictly for a 4 round playoff run is NOT going to happen. It's far more a possibility for Dallas or a team like that, and even then that's a stretch.

Peter Griffin 02-20-2004 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
First Kovalev, now Pronger? Pipe dreams, Canuckleheads. Landing the best talent in the league strictly for a 4 round playoff run is NOT going to happen. It's far more a possibility for Dallas or a team like that, and even then that's a stretch.

Pronger a stretch, yes, for any team. Kovalev? No, not in the least. He's an UFA at seasons end, the majority of his salary is paid, and Bondra, a similar player in a similar situation went for a decent prospect and a 2nd round pick, Kovalev won't go for much more, if anything more then what Bondra went for. Burke stated he wasn't interested in Bondra because of the $1 mil buy-out he would've had to pay if he didn't pick up Bondra's option for next season. Kovalev doesn't have one so I wouldn't be surpised in the least to hear that Burke is interested in Kovalev.

nucks2001 02-20-2004 10:44 AM

Burke has the money.. he is just a tightwad.. but.. Leetch and Kovalev.. dooo it Burke.. dooo itt

JC_inactive 02-20-2004 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nucks2001
Burke has the money.. he is just a tightwad.. but.. Leetch and Kovalev.. dooo it Burke.. dooo itt

It isn't Burke's money . . . it's McCaw's money. And McCaw is trying to sell the team, so I don't think he's too anxious to spend more money on the team unless it makes really good sense.

I think Kovalev could make sense though. It just depends on which Kovalev you get, the Penquin version or the Ranger version. And I think NYR could be convinced to pick up most/all of his contract for the remainder of this season as long as they think they're getting a good young player who can help next year, assuming Sather stops dreaming and admits he has to start rebuilding.

craig1 02-20-2004 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Maybe if they add Boughner, and trade for Lang or maybe Francis

So what you are saying is they need former Penguins. :joker: Let's not forget thet Nedved and Kovalev are on the block. Jagr has already been traded though.

ehc73 02-20-2004 12:12 PM

D-men that are possibilities: Boughner, Bombadir(if Minny decides to trade with Vancouver), Carney(okay, pipedream :D )
The Canucks need another crease clearer, and these guys are that type. I think that's what SN meant by "Chris Pronger presence". Obviously they didn't mean Pronger was being sought after by the Canucks. That's just plain stupid.

Up front, they definitely need some forward upgrades, especially with Arvedson gone for the season. O'Neill would be re-signed I think if he could be obtained. Problem is, that's a big if. He might be too costly asset-wise in a trade to obtain.
Given Burke's track record, someone like Sillinger will be gotten to shore up the bottom 6 checking, allowing Linden to move to the wing. Now that Bondra is off the market, values just went up for scoring right wingers. I hope to God Burke doesn't reacquire Cassels though.

lubomirvaic 02-21-2004 10:12 AM

As for that defensiman we need, how about J. Modry? The Kings need to re-tool, and although it may not be a popular move to their fans, the Canucks might be willing to part with Malik in order to make that trade. Like it or not, we'll probably have to lose a roster player to make any deal out there.

For the forward help we need, I could see the team make a move for Kovalev with a package centered around Fedorov. Also, the Oilers may be willing to move more of their talent at the deadline this year and maybe Ryan Smyth could be had, although he wouldn't be cheap.

EroCaps 02-21-2004 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Caps would have to pick up half his remaining salary if that is the asking price...

It's been reported that teams have asked Leonsis to do so, but the response has been not so enthusiastic. It isn't out of the question, though.