HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   OT: Buying a car, need advice on this one! (merged) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=539920)

LastChancePrice 07-28-2008 08:29 PM

OT: Buying a car, need advice on this one! (merged)

Ok hello all!

Yes, its time for me to purchase my first car! Well actually, there is three car that i might be interested to purchase.

1: Pontiac Trans Am 1980. ( one simple question....is this car Gas eater? . And let say i got some problems with that car, does any garageshop know how to repair that car if it got any problems???

2: Toyota Tercel ( lol yeah what a drop ). Wella ctually i can find that car at around 1k..so considering that price...for a first car..i think it wont be a bad choice no???

3: Toyota Echo Hatchback 2004 ( 3 door). A near new car...hoping its not gas eater!I love the size of that car...could be useful to find parking during heavy winters...

I really...really love the pontiac.....do you recommand this car ?( i dont want to spend too much on gas...so that might hold me a bit on that one)

thanks if you can help... :)

Sthabs 07-28-2008 08:31 PM

easy : tercel

If it s your first car insurance will eat you alive for the echo, even tho it shouldnt be that expensive

the trans am will probably be a gas guzzler and you might have some troubles finding parts

Old tercels are boring but very very reliable cars, just dont floor them too much and you ll be fine, cheap on gas and parts, insurance etc, and you could scratch it, bump it, or wtv you wont care....or not as bad as the echo.... + if you never drove in winter the terel is a very good solution too, as long as the heating works and you got good winter tires.

(trust me dont try spending the winter with no heating in your car, unless you want to scrap the snow that s inside your car! )

hope that helps

Fredd 07-28-2008 08:32 PM

You don't want to spend much on gas? Easy choice here. The Echo is the winner. Also, with it being a 2004, I'm sure you won't have many, if any problems, especially compared to the other 2 cars.

Stradale 07-28-2008 08:35 PM

The echo hands down.

jdmef8vtec* 07-28-2008 08:38 PM

anything honda or toyota and your off to a good start

WeThreeKings 07-28-2008 08:39 PM

Anything but the Pontiac.

patsbury 07-28-2008 08:41 PM

My first car was a Tercel (what's wrong with Tercel? :dunno: ) It was a 1991 Tercel I bought in 2003. It is pretty reliable and durable I think...The only problem I had with it was the Power Steering fluid which was leaking and the heater was broken. Beside that, great car! I even suceed to start it at -40oC and -45oC, which impress me for a 13 years old car! It was kinda economic on gas consumption.

Don't worry about old car and problems, garage can manage to repair whatever that has been build since....

Japanese car are most of the time economic on gas. There might be some exeption though.

Kaptain Bégin 07-28-2008 08:42 PM

Echo easilly. Toyota's cars rock. It's a really good car, zero mechanicals problems. One of my friend got one, a 2002 or 2003 and never have problems.

Kriss E 07-28-2008 08:46 PM

Take the Echo.
All the other cars will make you constantly visit the garage and believe me. Its so annoying to buy a car (old or new) and have to go to the garage a couple of months after getting it.

Sthabs 07-28-2008 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 15014410)
Take the Echo.
All the other cars will make you constantly visit the garage and believe me. Its so annoying to buy a car (old or new) and have to go to the garage a couple of months after getting it.

depends tho

I had 2 tercels, in 05 and 06, both were 92-93 models
and I never had a single problem with them, not even one, even if they were older cars. I had to change the brake once or twice, and regular maintenance like oil change and that s it. I sold one to my roommate and he still has it, and I blew up the engine of the 2nd one ....(but that was my mistake tho)

If it wasnt a tercel, or any of one of those relaible cars (tercel,323, 626, civic etc)

so it depends if you get a ****box or not, if he gets a nice one, it ll cost him 10 times less, and for a first car, I think it s a better option for him, with your first car you better buy a car that you can bang in parking spots and what not, get used to having a car, but once again, that s juste a personal opinion....

Obviously it doesnt look as good and shiny and might have little prblems like rattles...or not a good insulation or no airbags etc...but that s to be expected with a 15 yr old car

ps just remembered, my first one had a lilttle hole in the exhaust that i repaired myself for 15$.....

LastChancePrice 07-28-2008 08:53 PM

Hmmm ok tough choice.I either pay around 1k to get a car that will give me a few years of life..hoping not going to see the garage too offen...or the near brand new car...that will cost me more..but would be more reliable...

Is there any year tercel were having problems or all the tercel that came out were aroudn the same level of quality?

That suck ..nobody recommand the pontiac..lol......the sound on that car is just amazing tho!!!! :(

24Cups 07-28-2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHfan4ever (Post 15014260)
Ok hello all!

Yes, its time for me to purchase my first car! Well actually, there is three car that i might be interested to purchase.

1: Pontiac Trans Am 1980. ( one simple question....is this car Gas eater? . And let say i got some problems with that car, does any garageshop know how to repair that car if it got any problems???

2: Toyota Tercel ( lol yeah what a drop ). Wella ctually i can find that car at around 1k..so considering that price...for a first car..i think it wont be a bad choice no???

I've owned both of these, a '79 Trans Am and an '85 Tercel (the student years). The Tercel will run until it rusts out like mine did and cost you very little in maintenance. I had the 403 Olds V8 in my TA and with 2 carburators (pre-fuel injection) the thing could suck gas. The sad thing, although it was a great car it wasn't even a muscle car. There was no electronics on the engine so finding out what's wrong is usually a simple task and any mechanic can fix them. Beware, you'll go through brakes and mufflers like butter, and even if you get the Midas lifetime guarantee on these items there will still be in for a good cost.

Little Nilan 07-28-2008 09:13 PM

First off, don't listen to pam19, no one can predict the market. For all you know, gas is overpriced and will go down to 80$, so don't base anything on what people "predict". If they could realistically predict 100-200% gains yearly, they'd be living on a private island and be world renowned.

Personally, for a first car(and this goes for a first motorcycle as well), I'd go for an old, reliable piece of crap like the Tercel and buy it manual transmission. There's no better way to properly learn to drive imo and the mistakes/unproper maintenance won't matter as much as it would on a newer, more expensive car.

terreur 07-28-2008 09:16 PM

easy, i,m currently driving my 2nd tercel after owning a golf and the Tercel is clearly an amazing choice!

Beakermania* 07-28-2008 09:23 PM

what year is the tercel....

Foreign cars from the 80s rusted a lot, then they fixed that problem in the late 80s/early 90s and since then they are extremely reliable.

Whitesnake 07-28-2008 09:24 PM

Latest car that I bought before the one I have now was the Echo and out of your choices, it has to be the one just because it's a really reliable car. Not sexy by any means but do the job. And really gas friendly.

Another car you might want to look at but I'm not too familiar with, maybe some others could intervene here....but isn't the Hyundai Accent really aggressive lately with their 10,000$ car? Hyundai is not what it was before, much more reliable and not as cheap as it also was. Though it's still not at the Toyota and Honda level, for 10,000$, is there really a better car moneywise? But again, it depends of the use, your expectations and tons of other factors.

My 2 cents. Good luck, first car is always the funniest one but the most nervewrecking as well....

RC51 07-28-2008 09:25 PM

I say the tercel for now.

with gas at record highs the car makers can't keep subcompact cars in stock. most of the makers are retooling to pump out more econoboxes. All makers are rushing to bring better gas sipping cars out very very soon. The market is changing and fast. Buy the tercel get what you can out of it and watch the flood of new subcompacts over the next 2-3 years. The tercel will get you 30-35mpg but in2-3 years 10 cars will get you 50mpg easy and the fierce fight for market share will get you a great subcompact in 2-3 years for 12 to 15k.

Tercel for now but plan to change to a NEW car, save you money up.

24Cups 07-28-2008 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beakermania (Post 15014768)
what year is the tercel....

Foreign cars from the 80s rusted a lot, then they fixed that problem in the late 80s/early 90s and since then they are extremely reliable.

If they still use salt on the roads in Montreal, any older foreign car with a couple of paint scratches and dings will rust out likety split. Mine rusted from the inside out. Rustoleum never had a chance.

LeMAD 07-28-2008 09:33 PM

Bought a '98 Tercel for 2000$ and I love it. And it costs almost nothing in terms of gas and insurrance. At 6L / 100km, I don't care if the gas price goes up...

Artyukhin* 07-28-2008 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHfan4ever (Post 15014260)
Ok hello all!

3: Toyota Echo Hatchback 2004 ( 3 door). A near new car...hoping its not gas eater!I love the size of that car...could be useful to find parking during heavy winters...

I really...really love the pontiac.....do you recommand this car ?( i dont want to spend too much on gas...so that might hold me a bit on that one)

thanks if you can help... :)

toyota tercel/echo gives you 45-50 miles per gallon maybe more if you drive not like a maniac.

Trans Am?your goin to get about 18-20 miles per gallon and maybe high 20's on the highway.

for best gas mileage and reliability you go toyota

just a little tip .all cars come with "timing belts".they normally should be changed every 60- 100,000 kms depends on model/make of car .Most people dont bother to even ask if or when the belt was last changed when they buy a used car. MISTAKE.If they person "doesnt know" when he last changed the timing belt and the car has near or over 100,000 km or 200,000 or 300,000 etc you should get the belt changed and take no chances ESPECIALLY if the car has a ""interference" engine which is MOST CARS.

cars are either "free-running" or "interference".

Now there isnt many CARS that are "free running"...most are "interference".

1988 TO 1994 Tercels were "inteference "

Toyota Tercels 1995 and upto 1999 ARE "FREE RUNNING"

your asking what?WELL ill keep it simple

free running means
-if your timing belt was to break while your car was started ,you still need to call a tow truck BUT your engine is safe there wont be any damage. Simply get another belt for 30 bucks get it put on and for a few hundred drive away good for another 100,000 km.

NOW "interference" means if your timing belt was to break while you car is started your in big trouble .Major engine damage to pistons or heads or some cases a ruined engine.

a BIG repair bill in the thousands and if engine needs to be ripped apart or replaced your having a nightmare

just something you might want to know.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

BigTimer* 07-28-2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pam19 (Post 15014635)
Gas is at 140$ per barrel.
Should go between 250$ and 350$ by next summer.

Look at Peakoil and read for one or two hours.

Will then stabilize because:
  • solar panel;
  • wind;
  • other options;
will become more cost effective.
Also recession in US will be clearly there (already there) and in Europe.
It's all about offer, demand and replacement solutions.

So you Tercel that was costing 40$ to fill and is now costing 60$ will cost over 100$.
So if you fill your car once per two weeks, cost is be 2600$ per year.
Beautifull Trans-AM wil cost more than double and probably stay parked.

If you are in Montreal, you should look at communauto.

I can tell you with 95% confidence that what you're speculating won't happen. Not even close.

noway 07-28-2008 10:14 PM

Toyota Echo. Got a 2000 and took this 8-year old car to New Brunswick and back last week and got 49 miles per gallon! Peppy and lots of room.

Beakermania* 07-28-2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTimer (Post 15015110)
I can tell you with 95% confidence that what you're speculating won't happen. Not even close.

I agree... it won't get that high by next summer....

5 years from now though, I could see it as possible....

BigTimer* 07-28-2008 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beakermania (Post 15015136)
I agree... it won't get that high by next summer....

5 years from now though, I could see it as possible....

5 years is a whole different animal... So many things could happen.

Over the next 12 months I give it a range of $90-$140 (Might be one quick rise to $155 but it will lower just a quickly). Average price will be around $110-$120.

Rookie Chargers 07-28-2008 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug mckenzie (Post 15015040)
toyota tercel/echo gives you 45-50 miles per gallon maybe more if you drive not like a maniac.

Trans Am?your goin to get about 18-20 miles per gallon and maybe high 20's on the highway.

for best gas mileage and reliability you go toyota

just a little tip .all cars come with "timing belts".they normally should be changed every 60- 100,000 kms depends on model/make of car .Most people dont bother to even ask if or when the belt was last changed when they buy a used car. MISTAKE.If they person "doesnt know" when he last changed the timing belt and the car has near or over 100,000 km or 200,000 or 300,000 etc you should get the belt changed and take no chances ESPECIALLY if the car has a ""interference" engine which is MOST CARS.

cars are either "free-running" or "interference".

Now there isnt many CARS that are "free running"...most are "interference".

1988 TO 1994 Tercels were "inteference "

Toyota Tercels 1995 and upto 1999 ARE "FREE RUNNING"

your asking what?WELL ill keep it simple

free running means
-if your timing belt was to break while your car was started ,you still need to call a tow truck BUT your engine is safe there wont be any damage. Simply get another belt for 30 bucks get it put on and for a few hundred drive away good for another 100,000 km.

NOW "interference" means if your timing belt was to break while you car is started your in big trouble .Major engine damage to pistons or heads or some cases a ruined engine.

a BIG repair bill in the thousands and if engine needs to be ripped apart or replaced your having a nightmare

just something you might want to know.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hate long quotes but what you say is correct is is worth re-reading. I have a 2001 Protege for sale with 100 300 km and the timing belt is a concern. It is as usual with periodic repairs. Having them done gives you peace of mind and may prolong the cars life, you would also have to trust the garage.