HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Easiest playoff opponents in Habs history? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=539978)

Al Bundy* 07-29-2008 02:54 AM

Easiest playoff opponents in Habs history?

Who can you recall as the easiest Canadiens' playoff opponent in terms of talent, series outcome, and dominance?

TheAntiprice* 07-29-2008 03:03 AM

all time record of 24-7 against the Bruins speaks for itself...

Al Bundy* 07-29-2008 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAntiprice (Post 15016536)
all time record of 24-7 against the Bruins speaks for itself...

I'm looking for a specific playoff series.

bib 07-29-2008 06:37 AM

1976-77 quarterfinal matchup against the Blues. Won 4 straight in a dominant fashion.

Game 1: Montreal 7 - Blues 2

Game 2: Montreal 3 - Blues 0

Game 3: Montreal 5 - Blues 1

Game 4: Montreal 4 - Blues 1

We must have had one of the easiest finals in our history that year as well.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app?se...is_hR_hHCD_887

VirginiaMtlExpat 07-29-2008 08:55 AM

Claude Ruel: "Y'en aura pas de facile!".

Although that series with the Blues comes pretty close, I suppose.

habsrock76 07-29-2008 09:47 AM

Buffalo in 1993. 4 game sweep if i remember. Muller closes the series with an OT slapshot from the face off dot.

Dwight 07-29-2008 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zalery (Post 15016951)
1976-77 quarterfinal matchup against the Blues. Won 4 straight in a dominant fashion.

I'm pretty sure that's the year that the Habs only lost 8 games. Nobody was stopping them.

AD 07-29-2008 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habsrock76 (Post 15017583)
Buffalo in 1993. 4 game sweep if i remember. Muller closes the series with an OT slapshot from the face off dot.

No way.. that series was an intense battle with multiple overtime games and at least one general brawl.

Turboflex* 07-29-2008 10:15 AM

Boston, always a guaranteed series win so pretty easy.

JaymzB 07-29-2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AD (Post 15017696)
No way.. that series was an intense battle with multiple overtime games and at least one general brawl.

I think we won every game in that series 4-3, and 3 of the 4 went into overtime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turboflex (Post 15017764)

I guess you weren't around in the late 80's/early 90's eh?

AD 07-29-2008 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaymzB (Post 15017813)
I think we won every game in that series 4-3, and 3 of the 4 went into overtime.

Yeah.. If I remember correctly.. even the Conference finals were easier gainst a Turgeon-less Islanders.

But so far, that Blues series looks like its going to be hard to beat.

Habs 4 Life 07-29-2008 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AD (Post 15017847)
Yeah.. If I remember correctly.. even the Conference finals were easier gainst a Turgeon-less Islanders.

We beat the Isles in 5 that year,didn't we beat the Sabres in 4 before that?I don't remeber the scores but I don't think they scored many goals against us that year

Guy Caballero 07-29-2008 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AD (Post 15017847)

The Isles were definitely the easiest series of that playoffs.

coolguy21415 07-29-2008 10:37 AM

There are plenty of candidates just as dominated as the Blues in 78. In 69 alone the Habs ragdolled the Rangers in the first round, and to a lesser extent the Blues in the finals.

It's really impossible to see by looking at the scoreline, anyway. We need someone who's actually seen the series to come in here and opine.

Turboflex* 07-29-2008 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaymzB (Post 15017842)
I guess you weren't around in the late 80's/early 90's eh?

I was, but that's ancient history. Get with the times man.

Al Bundy* 07-29-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedScull (Post 15017980)
In 69 alone the Habs ragdolled the Rangers in the first round.

The fact that they squashed a Ranger team that would prove to be very dominant for the next few years with the GAG line and Ed Giacomin... that speaks volumes.

They crushed a very decent team, not a J.V. squad.

Team_Spirit 07-29-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedScull (Post 15017980)
There are plenty of candidates just as dominated as the Blues in 78. In 69 alone the Habs ragdolled the Rangers in the first round, and to a lesser extent the Blues in the finals.

It's really impossible to see by looking at the scoreline, anyway. We need someone who's actually seen the series to come in here and opine.

In these years the Blues were always in the finals, it was the best expension team in a weak conference. I think they got beat like 5 years straight in the finals, people considered 'east' finals as the real final.

bib 07-29-2008 03:41 PM

Found another gem. Wow wow wow. Semifinals of 1945-46 playoffs.

Game 1: Montreal 6 - Chicago 2

Game 2: Montreal 5 - Chicago 1

Game 3: Montreal 8 - Chicago 2

Game 4: Montreal 7 - Chicago 2

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app?se...is_hR_hHCD_873

Chet-Nick 07-29-2008 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turboflex (Post 15017764)

Granted Montreal has won the last three series over the Bruins. Along with countless others in the 70's and 80's. However, there was a depressing time frame (early 90's), when Boston clearly had Montreal's number. :help:

Not to make cheap excuses. But, Boston was a contender back then and the Habs were introducing a young crop of defensemen to the NHL (Desjardins, Schneider, Odelein, Hill, Lefebvre, Brisebois).

I never heard the end of it when Boston was on a roll over the Habs. Too bad I no longer see those (once) annoying Bruin fans around anymore. Thinking about what they've experienced lately is almost as good. Especially the 2004 series. :D

Hab-a-maniac 07-30-2008 12:27 AM

Well the Habs had sweeps against the Whalers in the opening round in 89 not to mention against the Blues, Hawks, Leafs (twice) and Bruins in the late 70s. Then the Bruins in the 80s were whipping boys until 88 as the Habs between game 2 of that year's DF and game 6 of the 1979 SF won a ridiculous 15 of 17 post-season games (including 9 in a row from game 5 of the 1985 DSF to game 1 of said 88 series). The Habs I think went 8-0-2 or something in the 1981-82 season against Boston, with some wins being huge like 8-2, 10-4, etc. How did that frigging team lose to a .500 club like Quebec anyway? Of the Habs teams from 1979-85, a cup drought, that was the best one and yet it still choked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chet-Nick (Post 15024261)
Granted Montreal has won the last three series over the Bruins. Along with countless others in the 70's and 80's. However, there was a depressing time frame (early 90's), when Boston clearly had Montreal's number. :help:

Not to make cheap excuses. But, Boston was a contender back then and the Habs were introducing a young crop of defensemen to the NHL (Desjardins, Schneider, Odelein, Hill, Lefebvre, Brisebois).

I never heard the end of it when Boston was on a roll over the Habs. Too bad I no longer see those (once) annoying Bruin fans around anymore. Thinking about what they've experienced lately is almost as good. Especially the 2004 series. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chet-Nick (Post 15024261)

I've watched those 90, 91 and 92 losses. The Bruins were the more opportunistic bunch, getting all the breaks and bounces. 1988 was almost like an overdue deserving win for Boston and they were just stingy and too difficult to overcome in 1990's five-game loss. 1991 was a heartbreaking 7-game defeat. They had a dominant player in Neely and he had 9 goals in the series. How do you stop that? Also, Roy got outperformed by Moog while Neely pwned him and 1992 was the same plus the Habs offense could never get by the big, strong Bruin checkers. The 92 series was a huge disappointment because they had lost to superior Bruin teams the previous two times, but seemed to have the better club. Sure the 65-point Whalers nearly knocked off the Habs before Courtnall scored in double OT at the Forum, but 84-pt. Boston had trouble with an inferior Buffalo team too.

But the Habs 8-pt. advantage meant nothing. Roy pretty much sucked in the series. As of 92, the Habs faithful were depressed and convinced a cup was not in the works. The 92-93 season's late collapse and early struggles with Quebec seemed to support the doom and gloom, with Roy's struggles compounding it. But after the comeback in that series and Boston's stunning sweep to Buffalo, the door was opened for a potentia run at the cup or at least escaping the Adams for a change. And we all know how well it turned out. Something about those early 90s Bruins. Even their not-so-household names would turn heroes; Peter Douris, John Carter, Dave Christian, Randy Burridge, etc.

GNick42 07-30-2008 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zalery (Post 15016951)

I remember that series...Blues kept their center back at center ice when in offensive zone to try and stop Lafleur. Don't think I ever seen a team do that before or since.

I was about 12 at the time, hockey and the Habs were all I knew. I remember before the playoffs started I was scared the world was going to end before the playoffs started. That's how hyped up I was over the Habs