HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Could the NHL cancel the game against Mettalurg? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=540094)

Forechecker 07-29-2008 01:48 PM

Could the NHL cancel the game against Mettalurg?

In today's Morning Skate over at Slap Shot, they are again rehashing the KHL/NHL stand-off and link to a Burnside article saying that the NHL could use the cancellation of the Rangers vs Mettalurg as a threat if the Radulov situation isn't clarified.

That strikes me as kind of the "nuclear option" for the NHL. My guess, is that they will look at the 2010 winter olympics in Russia and use that as the longer term threat.

NYReign 07-29-2008 02:00 PM

Aren't the 2010 olympics in Vancouver? I could be wrong but I think that is the last one that it has already been decided that NHLers can play so it could be a legit threat because I think the 2014 olympics are in Russia...

I wouldn't mind if that game got cancelled at this point. The team is going to be exhausted, we have a ridiculous schedule in October..

we want cup 07-29-2008 02:09 PM

how much value is being put into the mettalurg game by the other side? is it that serious of a threat?

Gardner McKay 07-29-2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forechecker (Post 15020525)
In today's Morning Skate over at Slap Shot, they are again rehashing the KHL/NHL stand-off and link to a Burnside article saying that the NHL could use the cancellation of the Rangers vs Mettalurg as a threat if the Radulov situation isn't clarified.

That strikes me as kind of the "nuclear option" for the NHL. My guess, is that they will look at the 2010 winter olympics in Russia and use that as the longer term threat.

2010 Olympics are in Vancouver. However I would be all for the Rangers not playing in Mettalurg.

Forechecker 07-29-2008 02:45 PM

Sorry, yes I meant 2014. The blog post suggests that the Russians are taking the game against the Rangers pretty seriously. My guess is that they are quite eager to test themselves against a top NHL team.

Forechecker 07-29-2008 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky (Post 15021178)
2010 Olympics are in Vancouver. However I would be all for the Rangers not playing in Mettalurg.

The game is in Bern, not Mettalurg.

ogie 07-29-2008 03:28 PM

The KHL are definitely looking forward to the game versus the Rangers. They need to compare their league to the NHL, so that they can try to draw more talent to their league. I say ******* em pull the game. Let them go back to waiting on line for bread and american rock and roll blue jeans.

Brooklyn Ranger 07-29-2008 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ogie (Post 15021602)
The KHL are definitely looking forward to the game versus the Rangers. They need to compare their league to the NHL, so that they can try to draw more talent to their league. I say ******* em pull the game. Let them go back to waiting on line for bread and american rock and roll blue jeans.

While Americans wait in line to fill up their gas tanks.

Blueblood 2 07-29-2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forechecker (Post 15020525)

When it comes to Bettman and Dolan, the nuclear option is always on the table! :naughty:

nyrmetros 07-29-2008 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by we want cup (Post 15020735)
how much value is being put into the mettalurg game by the other side? is it that serious of a threat?

There is a lot of value in the game for both sides. It's semantics as usual.

Turambar 07-30-2008 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forechecker (Post 15021183)
My guess is that they are quite eager to test themselves against a top NHL team.

Not sure I'd consider the Rangers a top NHL team.

AK2794 07-30-2008 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger (Post 15024735)
While Americans wait in line to fill up their gas tanks.

Haha, so very true

nyr2k2 07-30-2008 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrJeff (Post 15027323)

Neither would I, because I'm cynical, but we've been one of the top eight teams the past two seasons. We're also arguably the most well-known American team.

Forechecker 07-30-2008 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrJeff (Post 15027323)

We're in the top 1/3 of the league, which I would equate to being a top NHL team.

Tikkanese 07-30-2008 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forechecker (Post 15021246)
The game is in Bern, not Mettalurg.

That is like saying "the game is in Bern, not Rangers". Mettalurg is the name of the team. Magnitogorsk is the city in which they are based.

Forechecker 07-30-2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tikkanese (Post 15028357)
That is like saying "the game is in Bern, not Rangers". Mettalurg is the name of the team. Magnitogorsk is the city in which they are based.

My bad.:help:

nyrmetros 07-30-2008 12:41 PM

I just hope this game is on tv. I've waited years for the Rangers to be playing Euro clubs.

The Thomas J.* 07-30-2008 03:52 PM

I hope that game gets cancelled too, I hate these needless over season regular season games.

nyrmetros 07-30-2008 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Thomas J. (Post 15031786)
I hope that game gets cancelled too, I hate these needless over season regular season games.

I would trade any 2 regular season NHL games to see the Rangers play a Euro club. Why the heck are you all so against this? It's a great opportunity for the Rangers as a hockey club, and the chance to win some silverware. We should never be complaining about the chance to win some silverware!

Nemchinov13 07-31-2008 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ogie (Post 15021602)

You know that this is 21st century, right? I mean, communism has ceased to exist in Russia last century. And with that the deficient planned economy. Russia is capitalist now, which basically means that there are no more bread lines, because it's a market economy.

What's american rock and roll blue jeans? I'm not sure if I've ever heard or saw such a brand. Excuse my ignorance, just as I'm excusing yours.

Nemchinov13 07-31-2008 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrmetros (Post 15035922)
I would trade any 2 regular season NHL games to see the Rangers play a Euro club. Why the heck are you all so against this? It's a great opportunity for the Rangers as a hockey club, and the chance to win some silverware. We should never be complaining about the chance to win some silverware!

With the sad and sorry history of our beloved franchise, I understand completely. I'm not sure though if we could beat Dave King's club on a larger ice surface.

GarretJoseph* 07-31-2008 12:36 AM

Don't pull it, just simply beat the crap out of them. 9-0.

nyrmetros 07-31-2008 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 (Post 15036535)
With the sad and sorry history of our beloved franchise, I understand completely. I'm not sure though if we could beat Dave King's club on a larger ice surface.

This game MUST be on MSG or VS !!

Incognito31 08-01-2008 08:31 AM

Do you guys think the rangers will play their full lineup for this game?? id hate to see an injury because you know Mettalurg are going to be playing hard in a meaningless game for the rangers

Forechecker 08-01-2008 11:49 AM

They are brining their regular season lineup to Prague, so I'd assume they will play against Mettalurg. They will need all the ice time together they can get to bond, too.