HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Salary Cap: Red Wings Cap Tracker - 2008-09 & 2009-10 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=540512)

jacK 07-30-2008 09:40 PM

Red Wings Cap Tracker - 2008-09 & 2009-10
 
here's a quick reference that i'll update with contract/cap details as they're made available.

[most figures taken from IB's Cap Central]
[credit to Ansar Khan for some of the contract news and numbers as well]
[handy roster building/cap calculating tool from RWC: here]


Detroit Red Wings
#PlayerPosition2008-2009 Cap Hit2009-2010 Cap HitContract Length
 Forwards    
81Marian HossaRW$7,450,000$xxx,xxxthru 2008-09
13Pavel DatsyukC/LW$6,700,000$6,700,000thru 2013-14
51Valtteri FilppulaC/LW$3,000,000$3,000,000thru 2012-13
11Daniel ClearyC/RW/LW$2,800,000$2,800,000thru 2012-13
40Henrik ZetterbergC/LW$2,650,000$6,083,333thru 2020-21
96Tomas HolmstromLW/RW$2,250,000$2,250,000thru 2009-10
33Kris DraperC$1,583,333$1,583,333thru 2010-11
37Mikael SamuelssonRW$1,200,000$xxx,xxxthru 2008-09
26Jiri HudlerC/LW$1,015,000$xxx,xxxthru 2008-09
93Johan FranzenC/RW$941,667$3,954,545thru 2019-20
18Kirk MaltbyLW/RW$883,333$883,333thru 2009-10
43Darren HelmC$599,444$599,444thru 2009-10
28Tomas KopeckyC/LW$500,000$xxx,xxxthru 2008-09
 Defense    
5Nicklas LidstromD$7,450,000$7,450,000thru 2009-10
28Brian RafalskiD$6,000,000$6,000,000thru 2011-12
23Brad StuartD$3,750,000$3,750,000thru 2011-12
55Niklas KronwallD$3,000,000$3,000,000thru 2011-12
3Andreas LiljaD$1,250,000$1,250,000thru 2009-10
52Jonathan EricssonD$900,000$900,000thru 2010-11
24Chris CheliosD$750,000$xxx,xxxthru 2008-09
22Brett LebdaD$650,000$650,000thru 2009-10
14Derek MeechD$483,333$483,333thru 2009-10
 Goalies    
30Chris OsgoodG$1,416,667$1,416,667thru 2010-11
29Ty ConklinG$750,000$xxx,xxxthru 2008-09
      
 Projected Total: $56,473,333$52,753,998 
 Salary Cap: $56,700,000$56,700,000 
 Cap Space: $226,666$3,946,002 
note: $56,700,000 most likely will NOT be next year's cap number but must be used this year for tagging 09-10's contracts
also note: Helm & Ericsson have been counted against the 09-10 cap; estimated total jumps to $53,470,665 and estimated space drops to $3,229,335 if Howard ($716,667) is assumed to take the back-up goalie spot.


Grand Rapids Griffins
#PlayerPosition2008-2009 Cap Hit2009-2010 Cap HitContract Length
 Forwards    
21Ville LeinoC/LW$875,000$xxx,xxxthru 2008-09
8Justin AbdelkaderLW$850,000$850,000thru 2009-10
48Cory EmmertonC$821,667$821,667thru 2010-11
44Aaron DowneyRW$575,000$xxx,xxxthru 2008-09
25Darren McCartyRW$575,000$xxx,xxxthru 2008-09
20Darren HaydarRW$525,000$xxx,xxxthru 2008-09
42Mattias RitolaC$511,667$511,667thru 2010-11
 Defense    
46Jakub KindlD$821,667$821,667thru 2009-10
 Goalies    
35Jimmy HowardG$716,667$716,667thru 2010-11
31Daniel LarssonG$850,000$850,000thru 2009-10
note: only likely call-ups are included in this table


  2008-09 Current Lineup   2009-10 Projected Lineup 
L1Pavel DatsyukHenrik ZetterbergDan Cleary Henrik ZetterbergPavel DatsyukTomas Holmstrom
L2Johan FranzenValtteri FilppulaMarian Hossa Johan FranzenValtteri FilppulaDan Cleary
L3Tomas HolmstromDarren HelmMikael Samuelsson (Ville Leino?)Darren Helm(Jiri Hudler?)
L4Jiri HudlerKris DraperKirk Maltby Kirk MaltbyKris Draper(Tomas Kopecky?)
EXVille LeinoJustin AbdelkaderDarren McCarty    
EX Tomas KopeckyAaron Downey    
        
D1Nicklas LidstromBrian Rafalski   Nicklas LidstromBrian Rafalski
D2Brad StuartNiklas Kronwall   Niklas KronwallBrad Stuart
D3Brett LebdaJonathan Ericsson   Andreas LiljaJonathan Ericsson
EXDerek MeechChris Chelios   Derek MeechBrett Lebda
EXJakub Kindl      
IRAndreas Lilja      
        
G1Chris Osgood     Chris Osgood
G2Ty Conklin     Jimmy Howard
G3Jimmy Howard  6/6   
note: projected lineup is solely my opinion/educated guess. feel free to let alternate musings be known.

FissionFire 07-31-2008 12:31 AM

The free agent season is pretty much dead so I didn't bother keeping it updated anymore. I'm already working on the 2009 offseason & draft stuff. I can do a daily cap counter when the season starts if people want it.

Henkka 07-31-2008 04:42 AM

Hmm, that cap space number is including Helm, but not Ericsson and Howard. I'm quite sure all three will start at Griffins (for cap reasons), so we should got Helm off there.

We have 976k free for two players as the minimum salary is 500k. Some trade has to happen or someone expensive player has to be at LTIR the whole season.

Syndrome 07-31-2008 07:35 AM

It also includes a very cheap Kopecky, and we have no idea when his knee will be ready. Virtually any call up to replace him will have a bigger cap hit.

Henkka 07-31-2008 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syndrome (Post 15037690)
It also includes a very cheap Kopecky, and we have no idea when his knee will be ready. Virtually any call up to replace him will have a bigger cap hit.

Or just signing McCarty and/or Downey with minimun to replace him will take that even.

Fugu 07-31-2008 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syndrome (Post 15037690)
It also includes a very cheap Kopecky, and we have no idea when his knee will be ready. Virtually any call up to replace him will have a bigger cap hit.

Kopecky can start the season on LTIR. That means the Wings can exceed the cap by whatever the difference is between the cap maximum and their payroll (let's say they have $300K of space), they'd gain another $200K by having Kopecky on LTIR. However, they'll have to clear room when he comes back.

TOPGUN 07-31-2008 11:44 AM

Thanks Jack for putting this up, it's really handy for me ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by FissionFire (Post 15036531)
The free agent season is pretty much dead so I didn't bother keeping it updated anymore. I'm already working on the 2009 offseason & draft stuff. I can do a daily cap counter when the season starts if people want it.

That would be awesome FF :nod:

mouser 07-31-2008 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 15038230)
Kopecky can start the season on LTIR. That means the Wings can exceed the cap by whatever the difference is between the cap maximum and their payroll (let's say they have $300K of space), they'd gain another $200K by having Kopecky on LTIR. However, they'll have to clear room when he comes back.

Another downside is that it burns up that remaining $300k of space in the event another short-term callup is needed. While that $300k wouldn't help immediately, if the Wings could keep it available till midseason then it's grown into room for a $600k salaried callup.

jacK 07-31-2008 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Gun (Post 15040405)
Thanks Jack for putting this up, it's really handy for me ;)



That would be awesome FF :nod:

np, and hopefully i keep it as up-to-date & accurate as possible. i'll be leaning heavily on IB's work, so that shouldn't be too hard.

thanks for putting this up, Fugu. i changed the title to include 09-10 so people know they can come to speculate about next year's situation.

enjoy all!

hexrae 08-01-2008 12:06 AM

Cap situation is tight this year, but it won't be for the next. Barring any dramatic increase in the cap, Hossa and his 7.4 million are off the book next year.

I'd love to keep him, but Detroit won the cup without him. ****, even won the cup with him against them, so I can do without his services after this year. With that said, I'll hold faith that Holland can find some way to keep everyone. But, alot needs to fall in place for it to happen.

GeoSacks 08-02-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syndrome (Post 15037690)
It also includes a very cheap Kopecky, and we have no idea when his knee will be ready. Virtually any call up to replace him will have a bigger cap hit.

To add to the speculation:
Piet Van Zant is saying (through Ken Holland, so take it with a grain of salt) that Kopecky is progressing ahead of schedule and should be ready "right around opening night". I think he'll be on the ice if he's ready.

Shoalzie 08-02-2008 09:46 PM

With Flip signing long term and looking the cap room for '09-10, I can't see any way Hossa comes back unless they move any salaries. $13 million hopefully will be enough to keep Hank, Franzen, Kopecky and Hudler. I'd imagine Samuelsson is long gone after this year and maybe (and hopefully) they dump Lilja to free up another million bucks.

FissionFire 08-02-2008 11:54 PM

They'll likely have to move Lilja since Ericsson will have to be on the team in 09-10 and you know he won't be riding the bench. By the start of the 09-10 season both Lilja and Lebda could be gone.

The Winged Wheel 08-04-2008 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoalzie (Post 15062489)
With Flip signing long term and looking the cap room for '09-10, I can't see any way Hossa comes back unless they move any salaries. $13 million hopefully will be enough to keep Hank, Franzen, Kopecky and Hudler. I'd imagine Samuelsson is long gone after this year and maybe (and hopefully) they dump Lilja to free up another million bucks.

there's room for Hossa if you move some salaries.

Don't re-sign Franzen or Hudler and there you go. It'd suck to lose Franzen in particular but if you have to decide between him and Hossa, I'd say its a no-brainer.

Shoalzie 08-04-2008 10:25 PM

It would be tough to pass up keeping Hossa if given an option but the salary will be pretty steep, especially if he puts up strong numbers. I'd rather see them spend the same amount of money on multiple players than sinking more money on one guy. The reason why this team has done so well in the cap era is that they have a few high paid stars but they do well with paying for quality complimentary/role players.

I'd actually like to see if they could move Holmstrom's salary instead of not re-signing Franzen and Hudler. Hudler could possibly be an odd man out if he doesn't post decent numbers.

TOPGUN 08-23-2008 07:46 AM

Is there already some news regarding Chelios?
I heard some weeks ago that Holland and Chelios had an 'gentleman' agreement. Any updates on that?

dtones520 08-23-2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Gun (Post 15235815)
Is there already some news regarding Chelios?
I heard some weeks ago that Holland and Chelios had an 'gentleman' agreement. Any updates on that?

Yah, I just read today that they have a verbal agreement, just nothing has been signed yet.

Shoalzie 08-23-2008 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtones520 (Post 15236560)
Yah, I just read today that they have a verbal agreement, just nothing has been signed yet.


Is Cheli really going to sign for less than a $1 million?

Heaton 08-23-2008 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoalzie (Post 15240581)
Is Cheli really going to sign for less than a $1 million?

His base salary has been ~850k for the past few years. I could see Chelios sign for 550k + bonuses.

Fugu 08-23-2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heaton (Post 15240597)
His base salary has been ~850k for the past few years. I could see Chelios sign for 550k + bonuses.

Bonuses will have to fit under the cap this year since the NHLPA hasn't decided whether they'll re-open the CBA. That's the tricky part for the Wings-- until they trade someone. :)

TOPGUN 08-25-2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtones520 (Post 15236560)
Yah, I just read today that they have a verbal agreement, just nothing has been signed yet.

Ah. Ok, thanks. Just wait and see, I guess.

probertrules24 08-28-2008 10:19 AM

Wasn't sure where to put this because it talks about Chelios, McCarty, Quincey and Meetch.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...808280331/1128

Looks like Holland believes Darren will take the two way offer and that he will also have Chelios and Quincey re-signed.

I also liked Hollands response to Sundin visiting the Joe.
Quote:

General manager Ken Holland laughed off a rumor Wednesday that Sundin was visiting Joe Louis Arena and touring the Detroit area. "I don't know Mats Sundin's travel plans, but we're not signing Mats Sundin," Holland said.

Winger98 08-28-2008 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by probertrules24 (Post 15280566)
I also liked Hollands response to Sundin visiting the Joe.

OT but I can't believe how big of a mess the Sundin situation is. It's starting to look like he's going to try to rent himself out to whoever the best contender is that will take him in December.

Armandy 08-28-2008 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by probertrules24 (Post 15280566)
Wasn't sure where to put this because it talks about Chelios, McCarty, Quincey and Meetch.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...808280331/1128

Looks like Holland believes Darren will take the two way offer and that he will also have Chelios and Quincey re-signed.

I also liked Hollands response to Sundin visiting the Joe.

Yeah, I also like this cause it doesn't give us Wing fans chance to speculate about Mats coming here! :D Now, I'm just wondering but how the hell is Holland going to sign all 3 guys with the cap space we have! Oh and yeah, McCarty knows this is his team and sooner or later he'll realize that he should just take the contract as he's probably not going to get another one from another team!

DelVecchio 08-28-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingsWiz (Post 15287256)
Yeah, I also like this cause it doesn't give us Wing fans chance to speculate about Mats coming here! :D Now, I'm just wondering but how the hell is Holland going to sign all 3 guys with the cap space we have! Oh and yeah, McCarty knows this is his team and sooner or later he'll realize that he should just take the contract as he's probably not going to get another one from another team!


Holland means what he says when he states that he'll let it sort itself out in camp. If any player gets moved it will be a defenseman (because that's where our depth is) and if he doesn't get a realistic offer he'll just waive somebody and risk Atlanta or whoever picking him up. All this trade this guy for a 2nd, trade that guy for a 4th is Hockey's Future Amateur GM BS; KH is worried about building a Stanley Cup contender, not about accumulating HF value points by having the most 'assets' at the end of the game.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.