HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Lightweight Shoulder Pads (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=540541)

JTBRLZ 07-31-2008 03:46 AM

Lightweight Shoulder Pads

I'm on vacation right now, but I can't get hockey off the mind and I've been thinking about next season and I'm looking for lightweight shoulder pads. I had a set for as long as I can remember and they ripped last year messing around in the locker room and my coach got me new ones but it's so bulky I feel like a football player. I'm not home right now as I've said so I don't know the new type of shoulder pads I have, but can anyone recommend a good set of lightweight shoulder pads that are still effective and on the less expensive side? I'm not looking for new-age technology ultra lightweight shoulder pads, I'd much rather prefer old fashion shoulder pads, so any recommendations on what and where to get them?

roast 07-31-2008 07:15 AM

Sherwood makes "old-school" shoulder pads if thats what you're looking for...I have them but can't recall the model...but they're as vintage as you can get...draw string on the chest included and they are very light weight.

noobman 07-31-2008 09:27 AM

Do you play in a contact league?

If so, you may want to stick with some of the bulkier ones, or get the lightweight foam ones (thye're thick and large, buts till pretty light)

CaptBrannigan 07-31-2008 01:16 PM

The SHer-Wood ones referenced above are the 5030s. They are our biggest seller in the 'older' crowd. Basically, if you wore them growing up you want nothing else and if you've never worn them you wouldn't touch them.

Heat McManus 07-31-2008 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twi (Post 15040799)
The SHer-Wood ones referenced above are the 5030s. They are our biggest seller in the 'older' crowd. Basically, if you wore them growing up you want nothing else and if you've never worn them you wouldn't touch them.

I have the 5030s and they're awesome.

If you want something lightweight, but a little more "modern" the NikeBauer Vapor XXXX shoulder pads are really light and comfortable. Pricey though.

no.95 07-31-2008 02:02 PM

Yep, the Sher-woods are great. You've also got the NikeBauer SP 60 which are somewhat similar but with a tad bulkier shoulder caps.

TheShoe82 08-01-2008 01:54 PM

Checkout RBK. I just got new pads after my 10+ year old set finally tore in half.

They are like the old JOFA style pads. Lightweight, and not too funkily designed. They are very simple pads, should be fine for what you need.

Heat McManus 08-01-2008 10:05 PM

Rbks are lightweight but a lot more bulkier than the NikeBauer Classic and the Sher-Wood Tradition. Excellent quality though. Most NHLers are in 9ks or a Jofa/RBK equivalent.

MeatCat 08-01-2008 10:27 PM

Farrell Shoulder Pads

Hands down the most mobile lightweight shoulder pad I have put on, and they are very protective as well.

Heat McManus 08-02-2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffaloking (Post 15056378)
Farrell Shoulder Pads

Hands down the most mobile lightweight shoulder pad I have put on, and they are very protective as well.

i've heard a lot of mixed reviews on their protection. Some people have found sticks/pucks will find their way between the ridges of the padding.

sc37 08-02-2008 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos (Post 15056223)
Rbks are lightweight but a lot more bulkier than the NikeBauer Classic and the Sher-Wood Tradition. Excellent quality though. Most NHLers are in 9ks or a Jofa/RBK equivalent.

Actaully seems like NHL'rs tone it down with the shoulders.

Heat McManus 08-02-2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc37 (Post 15062148)
Actaully seems like NHL'rs tone it down with the shoulders.

Some of them have their shoulder pads from juniors or close, but a good many of them are in the Rbk/Jofas.

Check out the shirt off our back night pics from various teams or the Red Wings victory videos and you get good sense of it.

They can also get pads with lower shoulder caps.

The Tikkanen 08-04-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffaloking (Post 15056378)
Farrell Shoulder Pads

Agreed. Played hockey for 14 years, refused to wear shoulder pads and now I wear the Farrell's with no problem. Have yet to get a stick or puck to go between the cubes, got em for $100 so they're not cheap by any means but I think I will be using these things for a very long time.

mnhockey28 08-08-2008 09:35 PM

I have Bauer shoulder pads that are very light. I don't know what model they are but they are black and green.

Heat McManus 08-09-2008 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnhockey28 (Post 15112556)
I have Bauer shoulder pads that are very light. I don't know what model they are but they are black and green.

Supreme 50s I believe. Or one of the older Nike V series.

raygunpk 08-09-2008 02:07 AM

TPS has shoulders that are similar to Farrells...wonder who copied who?

Pangolin 08-09-2008 07:57 AM

I wear the Farrell's and have had no problems so far...
Even got a stick to one of the chest plates and didn't even feel it...(it was a follow through so it wasn't a spear...but still)...

Heat McManus 08-09-2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raygunpk (Post 15114283)
TPS has shoulders that are similar to Farrells...wonder who copied who?

Farrell's were out first.

luciousharris 08-12-2008 01:21 AM

I just found this site the other day. http://www.americanhockeyschools.com/merch.html If you scroll down the page a little you will see this company has old school style equipment. Shoulder and shing pads.

BrianNYR 08-14-2008 01:44 AM

If you want a lighter shoulder pad with alot of movement, ive found better secess with buying the lower models of equip. They usually have less padding but impede movement much less. I for one cannot stand having huge shoulder pads.