HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Predators extend Jerred Smithson- 2 years, $1.475M (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=540618)

worstfaceoffmanever 07-31-2008 11:20 AM

Predators extend Jerred Smithson- 2 years, $1.475M

Link

Jarnberg 07-31-2008 11:34 AM

Sigh. What a terrible signing. I'm sure he's great in the locker room though.. oh yeah and Trotz likes him too!!!!

Let me guess.. Vernon Fiddler next? Nichol too?

Joe T Choker 07-31-2008 11:38 AM

Sign and trade ? ;) :shakehead

jstreet 07-31-2008 11:42 AM

Awesome! Im taking the rest of the day off to go down to the Sommet to buy 5 lower bowl season tickets!

barrytrotzsneck 07-31-2008 11:42 AM

he's slightly less useless than ortmeyer.

worstfaceoffmanever 07-31-2008 12:11 PM

So far, our lines next year look something like this:

Erat-Arnott-Dumont
Hörnqvist-Legwand-Free Agent
Pihlström-Wilson-Jones
Tootoo-Free Agent (perhaps Nichol returns?)-Smithson
Peverley and an enforcer as the extras.

I personally don't have a problem with this signing... so long as there is only one other like it and that is either Scott Nichol or Radek Bonk, but not both.

Seth Lake 07-31-2008 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 15040736)
So far, our lines next year look something like this:

Erat-Arnott-Dumont
Hörnqvist-Legwand-Free Agent
Pihlström-Wilson-Jones
Tootoo-Free Agent (perhaps Nichol returns?)-Smithson
Peverley and an enforcer as the extras.

I personally don't have a problem with this signing... so long as there is only one other like it and that is either Scott Nichol or Radek Bonk, but not both.

Just for clarification's sake...he does mean "next year" as in the 2009-10 season, not this season...

worstfaceoffmanever 07-31-2008 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 15040856)
Just for clarification's sake...he does mean "next year" as in the 2009-10 season, not this season...

I figured the inclusion of Wilson was a dead giveaway, since he's already said he's returning to BU for the year. :)

Seth Lake 07-31-2008 12:28 PM

OMG, what snobs Nashville fans have turned into!!! Smithson is a valuable role player, a great penalty killer, and very good in the locker room. This is a good deal for him and really doesn't block anyone from moving up from Milwaukee.

Not every signing can be a player of "star" caliber. We are not signing Mats Sundin...but I bet we will be in the running for the subsequent salary dump that has to come after someone does sign Sundin...

We went through an offseason last year that decimated our organizational depth. Now that we have stabilized we have been focused on locking in the foundation of our franchise (Weber, Suter, Hamhuis, Legwand, Erat, Dumont) and shoring up the rest of the lineup with signings such as this.

Every team in the league needs depth players! Every team in the league dresses a fourth line!!! Some teams actually care about the makeup of that fourth line and make sure there are players that can contribute every night (ie: Predators - Smithson - top PK'er), others simply load up the fourth line with scraps that are simply out there to not get scored on.

Relax people!!!

Seth Lake 07-31-2008 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 15040880)
I figured the inclusion of Wilson was a dead giveaway, since he's already said he's returning to BU for the year. :)

I knew that, but I'm not sure everyone else does...therefore I wanted to head off any "Wilson is heading back to BU..." posts. ;)

Enoch 07-31-2008 12:58 PM

Do we really need to sign 4th line Pkers to 750k contracts? He is a good penalty killer, I will readily admit. He is also adaquete on the 4th line. I guess I can understand the rational behind extending him, but I know that everyone, including myself, is focused on one thing right now: scoring wingers....

Jarnberg 07-31-2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

Not every signing can be a player of "star" caliber. We are not signing Mats Sundin...but I bet we will be in the running for the subsequent salary dump that has to come after someone does sign Sundin...
Who on here has said that every signing has to be of a star player?

Quote:

Every team in the league needs depth players! Every team in the league dresses a fourth line!!! Some teams actually care about the makeup of that fourth line and make sure there are players that can contribute every night (ie: Predators - Smithson - top PK'er), others simply load up the fourth line with scraps that are simply out there to not get scored on.
Who on here stated that the fourth line doesn't matter? Smithson may be decent on the penalty kill, but he is used in other situations and it's those situations where he is terrible.

Why can't our organization improve on the third and fourth lines? Get better two-way players...

Quote:

Relax people!!!
Who is not relaxing?

Jarnberg 07-31-2008 01:19 PM

So we're snobs for not endlessly praising every move that David Poile makes?

Enoch 07-31-2008 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 15041780)
So we're snobs for not endlessly praising every move that David Poile makes?

I agree with your premises. I all comes down to whether you believe both the third and fourth line are too weak, or whether the problem lies on the ineffectiveness of the third line leading to a fourth line being rolled out far too often.

Ideally the third line is a grind/shutdown line with the fourth line being pkers and energy guys. We have the pkers, and to some degree we have the energy guys. Unfortunately, the energy guys are usually playing on one of our top 3 lines.... I believe that if we fixed the third line, our fourth line would suddenly look a LOT better.

predhead1 07-31-2008 02:14 PM

I'm ok with this as long as it's not followed by extensions for Fiddler, Bonk, Ortmeyer, etc. Smithson is serviceable in his role, even if 750k is a bit on the steep side for what he does.

I have a bad feeling, however, that this signals an effort to keep our current group of 3rd/4th liners, which we all agree is in need of significant upgrade on the whole.

barrytrotzsneck 07-31-2008 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 15040933)
OMG, what snobs Nashville fans have turned into!!! Smithson is a valuable role player, a great penalty killer, and very good in the locker room. This is a good deal for him and really doesn't block anyone from moving up from Milwaukee.

We went through an offseason last year that decimated our organizational depth. Now that we have stabilized we have been focused on locking in the foundation of our franchise (Weber, Suter, Hamhuis, Legwand, Erat, Dumont) and shoring up the rest of the lineup with signings such as this.

Relax people!!!

Of course every team needs fourth liners. Our problem is that we seem to want to run 3 fourth lines. And no, not every signing is going to be "star caliber," no one expects that...but we went into the offseason being down a top six forward. Now we're down two, and the only acknowledgement of this problem has been, "Well, we've got Pihlstrom, Jones, and Peverley that will all take a run at that spot", coming from Poile himself. I'd love to think that one of those guys will step right in and fill the void\replace Radulov, but you've no right to be critical if not everyone is as pollyanna about it as you are.

BigFatCat999 07-31-2008 03:27 PM

I just hate the amount of money given to him. I think he could have been signed for quite a bit less.

crossxcheck 08-01-2008 07:19 AM

:facepalm:

RollingPredFan 08-01-2008 07:33 AM

Championship!:laugh:

Oh well I do think Slake is right you do have to have guys like Smithson. He is a good penalty killer. I think what most have a problem with is that this roster has too many of these guys already lol

I did read in the paper that Poile is looking at Parrish, Murray, Gelinas, and Hlavac. And talking to teams for trades in the Tennessean.. So I do think we will pick up somebody soon. This fanbase really needs energizing IMO and signing Smithson is not going to do that LOL

Statesman 08-01-2008 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollingPredFan (Post 15049739)
Championship!:laugh:

Oh well I do think Slake is right you do have to have guys like Smithson. He is a good penalty killer. I think what most have a problem with is that this roster has too many of these guys already lol

I did read in the paper that Poile is looking at Parrish, Murray, Gelinas, and Hlavac. And talking to teams for trades in the Tennessean.. So I do think we will pick up somebody soon. This fanbase really needs energizing IMO and signing Smithson is not going to do that LOL

Smithson contract was extended simply because he is cheap.

Can't think of any NHL club that would have him on any line for any reason---ever.

Statesman

nine_inch_fang 08-02-2008 06:08 PM

Thanks for the input.:sarcasm: