HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Radek Dvorak question (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=540723)

Eazy T 07-31-2008 04:53 PM

Radek Dvorak question

Hey Guys, Isles fan here. Was looking thru Hockeydb.com one day and I noticed a few players on your team for the 2000-01 season; and noted Radek Dvorak had a monster year with 31 goals and 67 pts but ever since that season, hasn't even come close to matching either those goal totals or pt totals since, which begs what gives?

strange you might think for an Isles fan asking a Rangers fan about Ranger related topics, eh?
Just curious its all, I'm a Dvorak fan. It just seem to be an anomaly to me in his career with that particular season.

Cherepanisimov 07-31-2008 04:59 PM

i cant really remember, but didnt he get fat?

Casmatt 07-31-2008 05:02 PM

He had a lot of success when he was on a line with Hlavac and Nedved. That line was a bright spot during that awful 2000-2001 season. All three of those guys put up 60+ points. Then in the offseason Hlavac was involved in the Lindros deal. None of the three players managed 60 points again.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 07-31-2008 05:03 PM

he had injuries the following seaon. knee problems. after he had recovered for some reason his hands were gone.

Eazy T 07-31-2008 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 15044959)
he had injuries the following seaon. knee problems. after he had recovered for some reason his hands were gone.

strange.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 07-31-2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by House (Post 15045039)
strange.

And if I recall correctly, Dvorak was going to be the center-piece of the Poti trade but got injured and then the Rangers dealt York instead.

nyr7andcounting 07-31-2008 05:31 PM

Yea that season was all about the "Czech" line- Nedved, Dvorak, Hlavac.

If you look up Hlavac you'll notice he also had a career year and has been even worse since then than Dvorak. And Nedved had his best year as a Ranger as well.

Dvorak hung around for another year or 2 I think but never played as well.

Radek27 07-31-2008 07:36 PM

That was a very good line. Good nickname too, bakery line........two cream puffs with a cupcake in the middle.

Speedtrials 07-31-2008 08:11 PM

That line was really fun to watch that year. The "Czech Mates" or "Czech Line" was the lone bright spot of that season. I am pretty sure Dvorak had one game where he scored 4 against the Islanders, when Dipietro was first called up, and very inexperienced to the NHL level of play. Dvorak and Hlvac both seemed to play over their heads that season, as they never really got close to the goal totals of that season again.

Frozen North 08-01-2008 06:05 AM

Does anyone else remember the "Whazzup!" Commercial that they did? It was pretty funny. "Hey Radek...Whazzup!" Hey Janni...Whazzup!"

:nod:

bubba5 08-01-2008 07:58 AM

JD used to comment that those 3 were always laughing together. They were a great line when the Rangers got on like a 2 month hot streak that season.

chappie 08-01-2008 08:04 AM

The demise of that line was the demise of any kind of hope in the early 2000's... It was literally the only on ice excitement or production we really got besides Richter during that time...

SingnBluesOnBroadway 08-01-2008 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba5 (Post 15049870)
JD used to comment that those 3 were always laughing together. They were a great line when the Rangers got on like a 2 month hot streak that season.

They were a frustrating line. They would be invisible or rendered helpless for 5 games and then break out with a 6 goal night. Would have been a good second line but where too inconsistent to be a truly solid first line.

I'll never understand what happened to Hlavac (who I thought would ultimately be the best of the bunch). He seemed to have a nose for the net and real goal-scoring skills that just can't be taught.

I always felt that Dvorak's 31 goal year was a fluke and an exception, not the rule. But I did think he would become a consistent 20 goal scorer who would play a good two way game with his speed.

chappie 08-01-2008 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 15049911)
They were a frustrating line. They would be invisible or rendered helpless for 5 games and then break out with a 6 goal night. Would have been a good second line but where too inconsistent to be a truly solid first line.

I'll never understand what happened to Hlavac (who I thought would ultimately be the best of the bunch). He seemed to have a nose for the net and real goal-scoring skills that just can't be taught.

I always felt that Dvorak's 31 goal year was a fluke and an exception, not the rule. But I did think he would become a consistent 20 goal scorer who would play a good two way game with his speed.

i think most people understood though that that line would never really be a real legit caliber first line, but it was a fun line to watch, especially when they'd make those comeback nights after being off for a couple games. At least they were exciting, what else can you say was then...? :(

SingnBluesOnBroadway 08-01-2008 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chappie (Post 15049942)
i think most people understood though that that line would never really be a real legit caliber first line, but it was a fun line to watch, especially when they'd make those comeback nights after being off for a couple games. At least they were exciting, what else can you say was then...? :(

Certainly were dark, directionless years. The most exciting thing was wondering if the coach was going to get fired loss after loss.

zestystrat 08-01-2008 08:30 AM

I looked at this thread and was hoping that it wasn't a reaction to the Nedved thread....

ie lets get the Czech Mates line back together.

It's a long summer so you never know what crazy ideas are gonna come up here.

chappie 08-01-2008 08:39 AM

lol, Hlavac is a UFA!

zestystrat 08-01-2008 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chappie (Post 15050167)
lol, Hlavac is a UFA!

That's funny but not too funny. Someone is now going to run with that info.....

I'm looking at you Larry Brooks :banghead:

MikeyLikesHockey 08-01-2008 09:07 AM

hmmm...

hmm...if Hlavac is a UFA...then we could sign him and get

Hlavac- Nedved -Prucha

Czechmates part deux.

Then we could trade away Dawes and Betts. Move dubi up to the second line with Naslund and FreSjo.... Drury Gomer and Zherdev on the first line.....

Maybe we could get Ricther to come back out of retirement to backup Hank?

lolzer.

chappie 08-01-2008 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyGSpot (Post 15050391)
hmm...if Hlavac is a UFA...then we could sign him and get

Hlavac- Nedved -Prucha

Czechmates part deux.

Then we could trade away Dawes and Betts. Move dubi up to the second line with Naslund and FreSjo.... Drury Gomer and Zherdev on the first line.....

Maybe we could get Ricther to come back out of retirement to backup Hank?

lolzer.

This idea is just ballsey enough to work! ;)

zestystrat 08-01-2008 09:17 AM

Well that didn't take long.....

nyr2k2 08-01-2008 10:12 AM

No more Czechmate line = No more production from Dvorak.

Nemchinov13 08-01-2008 10:13 AM

I've always felt that Radek was the most complete of the bunch - fast, good hands, vision, defensive awareness, board work. Ideal 2nd liner at that time.

MikeyLikesHockey 08-01-2008 11:30 AM

hmmm...

Where's that WiiMote...so I can test that line.

slim399 08-01-2008 12:25 PM

The Czech mates were a very entertaining line to watch. I remeber them actually breaking the line up the last month of the season and Dvorak was still on fire! Lines were...

Malhotra-Messier-Dvorak
Hlavac-Nedved-Grosek

I remeber that next offseason hoping to see that Mess line sticking together and bringing up Brendl to ride shotgun on the new Czech mate line!

Of course the whole thing went down the drain and Hlavac and Brendl went in the Lindros deal and Sather tried to recreate the line with Zdeno Ciger- which was a disaster to say the least. Dvorak's season was average and was hurt by injuries. The next season Trottier came in and just destroyed any confidence the kid had left... I remeber after one game Trottier publicly lashing him to the press "saying dvorak was scared on the ice" Trottier was fired and Dvorak soon followed him out of town.

Sather gave many attempts at trying to rekindle the magic that line had... but it never came close.

Ciger-Nedved-Dvorak
Barnaby-Nedved-Dvorak
Rucinksy-Nedved-Dvorak
Rucinksy-Nedved-Carter
Hlavac-Nedved-Carter
Hlavac-Nedved-Kovelev

I always hopped the three of them would reunite some where but it never happend. It would be fun seeing the three of them playing together in camp and giving it one last go! But all three are wayyyyy toooo olddd and slowwwww. fun summer thoughts though.