HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Did BG will go after Ovechkin? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=54109)

Freaky Habs Fan 02-20-2004 03:54 PM

Did BG will go after Ovechkin?
 
2 years ago, Savard try everything to make a deal with Atlanta to draft Kovalchuk, so I'm just wondering if you guys think BG will want to make a deal with Pittsburg/Chicago to draft Ovechkin, who's as talented as Ilya.

What would it cost?

markov` 02-20-2004 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
who's as talented as Ilya.

From what I saw, Ovechkin is not as talented as Kovalchuk is. But if it's the case, go ahead BG!

Marchy79 02-20-2004 04:01 PM

No I dont think so... If BG were to go after a young talent such as Ovechkin... I think he'd try very hard to go after Vinny Le C in Tampa... mainly cause he's more established, he WANTS to play here, and furthermore, he would be huge for the marketing of the club.

Souffle 02-20-2004 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
No I dont think so... If BG were to go after a young talent such as Ovechkin... I think he'd try very hard to go after Vinny Le C in Tampa... mainly cause he's more established, he WANTS to play here, and furthermore, he would be huge for the marketing of the club.

Lecavalier - pffft. He's been a disappointment since being drafted, and it's doubtful that he will ever become the player he was projected to be. He's not the most valuable player on his team. In fact, I would take St. Louis, Kubina, and maybe even Richards ahead of him. But anyway.

Ovechkin would be insanely expensive. He would have gone 1st over-all last year, and several hockey people have said that his upside is greater than Kovalchuk's. Waddell refused an offer of Markov, Garon, two 1sts in the same draft year (8th, and 23rd).

I would think that he would command a return that's somewhere between the failed Kovalchuk proposal and the Lindros trade. It would take a crazy offer to get someone who holds the 1st pick to even listen.

not quite yoda 02-20-2004 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
No I dont think so... If BG were to go after a young talent such as Ovechkin... I think he'd try very hard to go after Vinny Le C in Tampa... mainly cause he's more established, he WANTS to play here, and furthermore, he would be huge for the marketing of the club.

to better market the team? Why so we can sell more seats? The place is already close to being sold out every night.

We need a physical power forward. Ovechkin will be exactly that: IMO a Nolan but with a better shot and better skating.

Problem is I think that (given the direction both PGH and CHG are going in) the 1st pick won't be up for trade. Regarless of who drafts there too. The price to acquire the pick will likely be too high... probably having to release several of our recently acquired top prospects.

Going for a 5th or 6th overall pick would be more realistic and very beneficial as well.

not quite yoda 02-20-2004 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davedave
Waddell refused an offer of Markov, Garon, two 1sts in the same draft year (8th, and 23rd).

I would think that he would command a return that's somewhere between the failed Kovalchuk proposal and the Lindros trade. It would take a crazy offer to get someone who holds the 1st pick to even listen.

It was the 7th and 24th pick. Plus any SKATER of Waddell's choosing was also offered upin the deal. I agree though that a deal for Ovechkin would amount to a ridiculous price not unlike the Lindros trade.

EaGLE1 02-20-2004 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markov`
From what I saw, Ovechkin is not as talented as Kovalchuk is. But if it's the case, go ahead BG!

I don't know many players as talented as Kovalchuk...You can add to his speed his incredible stickhandling abilities. He controls the puck with incredible ease, including at full speed. :rolly:

Team_Spirit 02-20-2004 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
2 years ago, Savard try everything to make a deal with Atlanta to draft Kovalchuk, so I'm just wondering if you guys think BG will want to make a deal with Pittsburg/Chicago to draft Ovechkin, who's as talented as Ilya.

What would it cost?


If Chicago gets him they'll keep him , he's Russian after all :joker:

Vlad The Impaler 02-20-2004 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
Ovechkin, who's as talented as Ilya.

And you know he is as talented as Ilya because?

All-Star 02-20-2004 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
2 years ago, Savard try everything to make a deal with Atlanta to draft Kovalchuk, so I'm just wondering if you guys think BG will want to make a deal with Pittsburg/Chicago to draft Ovechkin, who's as talented as Ilya.

What would it cost?

Pittsburg would never trade away their pick. The box-office draw on Ovechkin alone would probably save their franchise, and best of all he'll be signed for peanuts compared to any package of more established players.

All-Star 02-20-2004 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espion
It was the 7th and 24th pick.

Komi was drafted 8th, and Perezhogin was drafted 23rd...

montreal 02-20-2004 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All-Star
Komi was drafted 8th, and Perezhogin was drafted 23rd...



Now try 7th and 25th for the correct answer. ;) :D

markov` 02-20-2004 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davedave
Lecavalier - pffft. He's been a disappointment since being drafted, and it's doubtful that he will ever become the player he was projected to be. He's not the most valuable player on his team. In fact, I would take St. Louis, Kubina, and maybe even Richards ahead of him. But anyway.

What are you talking about? Lecavalier's was slow to develop, but he is becoming one of the best centers of the East. He's only 23, don't forget. He will be a all-star at 26 or 27.

Jacques Strappe 02-20-2004 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
2 years ago, Savard try everything to make a deal with Atlanta to draft Kovalchuk, so I'm just wondering if you guys think BG will want to make a deal with Pittsburg/Chicago to draft Ovechkin, who's as talented as Ilya.

What would it cost?

I'd rather wait a year and go after Crosby. I know he would cost the farm, but this kid's the real deal.
Fact: His father Troy was drafted by the Habs as a goalie in '84 - same time as that other goalie was drafted, what was his name, oh yeah, Roy!
Fact: Possibly because of this, Sydney is an admitted Habs fan!
Fact: Not gonna happen, but hey, it sure would be cool to have a real franchise player starting from scrap!

jacklours 02-20-2004 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markov`
What are you talking about? Lecavalier's was slow to develop, but he is becoming one of the best centers of the East. He's only 23, don't forget. He will be a all-star at 26 or 27.


Totally agree with you, the guy is still young. I believe he was made a captain too young and that slowed his development for a couple of years. I don't believe in a 18 years old being a captain. Yeah maybe Mario Lemieux was (i'm not even sure), but I believe that's were TB made their mistake, comparing to ML as pretty every one did when he was back in Junior

Marchy79 02-20-2004 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espion
to better market the team? Why so we can sell more seats? The place is already close to being sold out every night.

We need a physical power forward. Ovechkin will be exactly that: IMO a Nolan but with a better shot and better skating.

Problem is I think that (given the direction both PGH and CHG are going in) the 1st pick won't be up for trade. Regarless of who drafts there too. The price to acquire the pick will likely be too high... probably having to release several of our recently acquired top prospects.

Going for a 5th or 6th overall pick would be more realistic and very beneficial as well.

Jersey sales, and the 200 odd seats that arent sold... as well as every LeCavalier paraphenalia with a habs jersey... That's big bucks that can be had...

Ovechkin has the same possibility... but as some have alluded to, there are a few others who would like to take the thunder in TB... (i.e. Richards, St.Louis) The fact that his value has dropped a bit, does not matter to me, as he is very talented, and IMHO, has the most complete package in Tampa Bay... He's a good one, perhaps if we grabbed him now, we can get him before he's great :D

All-Star 02-20-2004 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal
Now try 7th and 25th for the correct answer. ;) :D

I just went and double checked; you're absolutely right. To think I've been wrong all these years. :rolly: Oh well, at least I don't have my own news show; I could do some real damage there. ;)

Souffle 02-20-2004 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markov`
What are you talking about? Lecavalier's was slow to develop, but he is becoming one of the best centers of the East. He's only 23, don't forget. He will be a all-star at 26 or 27.

He might, he might not. He might become a complete player and a true leader, he might level off as a 60 point guy who feuds with his coach.

Lecavalier is a talented offensive center, but it's a bit of a leap to trade for him secure in the belief that he will become an elite all-star center.

I just think it would cost too much to take that chance.

habsfansam 02-21-2004 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
If Chicago gets him they'll keep him , he's Russian after all :joker:


yeah, but chicago cleaned out their scouting department earlier this season... i doubt very highly that they'd be big on russians anymore. I think i read somewhere that the guys they brought in were criticizing the prospects and the youngsters on the team for "being too european to draw a crowd in chicago".

As much as i like Ovechkin, i'd rather we hold off a year and then play all our cards at once for Crosby... he's a bona-fide habs fan already, and if we manage to draft one of the larger forwards in this years draft or to pick up a solid d-man who is a monster fighter, he'd (crosby) be a great pick-up (screw the size issue, the kid has skills that you just can't teach :bow: ... and he may grow to be 6-0, 200lbs by the time he's actually 18).

Dutchy 02-21-2004 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacques Strappe
I'd rather wait a year and go after Crosby. I know he would cost the farm, but this kid's the real deal.
Fact: His father Troy was drafted by the Habs as a goalie in '84 - same time as that other goalie was drafted, what was his name, oh yeah, Roy!
Fact: Possibly because of this, Sydney is an admitted Habs fan!
Fact: Not gonna happen, but hey, it sure would be cool to have a real franchise player starting from scrap!

I agree.... As much as I love Ovechkin, Crosby would be phenomenal in a Habs jersey. I just hope BG thinks the same thing.

tnq 02-21-2004 12:25 PM

stop dreaming guys
Do you think Habs have enough of good players to trade for Crosby ? Name me a franchise player that Habs have right now ? Don't tell me Koivu. Koivu cost about 5 M per year and he won't be as good as Crosby.

Duster 02-21-2004 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habsfansam
yeah, but chicago cleaned out their scouting department earlier this season... i doubt very highly that they'd be big on russians anymore. I think i read somewhere that the guys they brought in were criticizing the prospects and the youngsters on the team for "being too european to draw a crowd in chicago".

As much as i like Ovechkin, i'd rather we hold off a year and then play all our cards at once for Crosby... he's a bona-fide habs fan already, and if we manage to draft one of the larger forwards in this years draft or to pick up a solid d-man who is a monster fighter, he'd (crosby) be a great pick-up (screw the size issue, the kid has skills that you just can't teach :bow: ... and he may grow to be 6-0, 200lbs by the time he's actually 18).

Chicago will be like anyone else and choose the BPA in the first and second rounds, regardless of ethnic or linguistic background. If that's Malkin, Barker or Wolski, so be it.

One thing that could change things perhaps is the expiration of the agreement the NHL has with Russian hockey teams. It's up for negotiation this summer as well, and the Russian teams will be asking for much more money in transfer fees for their star players. This could affect how all teams draft and not just Chicago.

Columbus and Pittsburgh want a superstar in waiting too. Both will likely be drafting in the same position in 2005 if there is a work stoppage. Does anyone think Atlanta made a mistake keeping Kovalchuck?

Charge_Seven 02-21-2004 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EaGLE1
I don't know many players as talented as Kovalchuk...You can add to his speed his incredible stickhandling abilities. He controls the puck with incredible ease, including at full speed. :rolly:

Ovechkin was being touted as better at the Kovalchuk draft, when he was drafted people were saying "wait til this other guy comes up...blah blah blah..." not sure exactly who it was.

Dutchy 02-21-2004 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duster
Columbus and Pittsburgh want a superstar in waiting too. Both will likely be drafting in the same position in 2005 if there is a work stoppage.

That would be plain brutal.... You get two terrific picks for one lousy season? Naaaah, GMs around the league will be against it. As far as I'm concerned, I think 2005 eligible players should be made available for the 2006 draft.

Duster 02-21-2004 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchy
That would be plain brutal.... You get two terrific picks for one lousy season? Naaaah, GMs around the league will be against it. As far as I'm concerned, I think 2005 eligible players should be made available for the 2006 draft.

On the contrary, it seems GMs are willing to accept this. This was reiterated last night on TSN by Bob Mackenzie who I consider more reliable than most for this sort of thing.

One more reason for the NHL and the players to agree this summer.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.