HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Baranka's rights retained by Rangers (Newsday) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=541128)

JayMan82 08-02-2008 03:08 PM

Baranka's rights retained by Rangers (Newsday)

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/blog/

Do we have anymore news on this?

Burlington Bomb 26 08-02-2008 04:54 PM

that is GREAT news.

Cherepanisimov 08-02-2008 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR (Post 15060838)
that is GREAT news.

yes it is

squishy 08-02-2008 06:37 PM

I suspect that Zipay is not aware that Baranka signed a 2 year deal with Spartak.

9darter 08-02-2008 07:52 PM

In what way is this news?
If the Rangers had suddenly lost or traded the rights to Baranka, that'd been news.
It's not like he'll ever skate on North American ice again, is it?

Burlington Bomb 26 08-02-2008 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squishy (Post 15061464)
I suspect that Zipay is not aware that Baranka signed a 2 year deal with Spartak.

you know more about the agreement then me, so does this mean that he has to reject the contract with Spartak, or no?

TheZherdev 08-03-2008 01:24 PM

this just simply means that the rangers still hold on to Baranka's rights in the NHL. That means if he wants to return to the NHL he can only sign with the rangers. Thats all it is. Since he isnt under any contractual obligation though he can sign with any league he wants. He chose Spartak. Hes probably never coming back.

Radek27 08-03-2008 01:59 PM

The Rangers droped the ball with this guy. He should have been on this team last year instead of Jason Strudwick.............that is one question i'm dying to ask Renney, why he picked Strudwick over Ivan.

Brooklyn Ranger 08-03-2008 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 (Post 15065340)
this just simply means that the rangers still hold on to Baranka's rights in the NHL. That means if he wants to return to the NHL he can only sign with the rangers. Thats all it is. Since he isnt under any contractual obligation though he can sign with any league he wants. He chose Spartak. Hes probably never coming back.

Baranka is still a RFA and can sign with any NHL team. The Rangers simply retained his rights, so if he does sign with another NHL team, the Rangers can either match it or take whatever compensation in the form of draft picks (depending on the size of the contract).

TheZherdev 08-03-2008 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger (Post 15066647)
Baranka is still a RFA and can sign with any NHL team. The Rangers simply retained his rights, so if he does sign with another NHL team, the Rangers can either match it or take whatever compensation in the form of draft picks (depending on the size of the contract).

right i forgot to mention that part. I was just trying to get the point across that we didnt sign him.

broadwayblue 08-03-2008 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radek27 (Post 15065525)
The Rangers droped the ball with this guy. He should have been on this team last year instead of Jason Strudwick.............that is one question i'm dying to ask Renney, why he picked Strudwick over Ivan.

I agree 100%.

GAGLine 08-04-2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Probably because Baranka had a hard time staying healthy, and Strudwick was signed to be the 7th dman, not exactly the best spot for player development. Baranka was better off getting as many minutes as he could, which meant the AHL.

He did play in 1 game last year, so he probably would have had a good chance to make the team this year. Maybe there was something else going on that made him choose Spartak.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 08-04-2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Maybe because they wanted Baranka to play.

Strudwick was the 7th defenseman:

Malik
Rozsival
Tyutin
Girardi
Staal
Mara

FutureGM97 08-04-2008 02:29 PM

it is too bad he is gone because i would have loved to have seen him take the spot that Kalinin has and saved the Rangers some cap but its done and hes a goner. :dunno:

squishy 08-04-2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR (Post 15062012)
you know more about the agreement then me, so does this mean that he has to reject the contract with Spartak, or no?

To come back here and play next season? He'd have to break his contract with Spartak. Not unheard of, as we've seen this summer, but I think the goal is for the NHL and KHL to sign some sort of formal agreement by then not to poach one another's players.

Ola 08-04-2008 02:47 PM

Baranka have had some potential -- and still does I guess.

But he is not that great, or never will be -- like he is far from a future Niklas Kronwall; and its very very tough to take the steps he needed to take with the amount of injurys he had.

Gooing to Russia is probably the best thing for him and us. The AHL is a slaughter house for D's the way the game is played down there now. Teams don't got the talent level to play even remotely a puckpossesion game. So its up and down all the time and D's are beeing hit allot and hard when you can't clutch and grab anymroe to slow down forecheckers. In a handful of years we will start seeing the AHL game beeing more like the NHL games, but as it is right now teams have invested in bigger and physical players for so long that many of the skilled guys have been lost on the way. The NHL have also sweept the AHL for "modern" type of players.

Radek27 08-04-2008 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway (Post 15072285)
Maybe because they wanted Baranka to play.

Strudwick was the 7th defenseman:

Malik
Rozsival
Tyutin
Girardi
Staal
Mara

Well with Malik and Mara being benched from time to time last year and injuries he woulda gotten some ice time and a real look instead of the one game he got. Later on in the year he wasn't even called up, instead Potter was and Liffiton. Just cause your 7th dman doesn't mean you won't play........it really just a matter of time.

squishy 08-04-2008 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radek27 (Post 15072693)
Well with Malik and Mara being benched from time to time last year and injuries he woulda gotten some ice time and a real look instead of the one game he got. Later on in the year he wasn't even called up, instead Potter was and Liffiton. Just cause your 7th dman doesn't mean you won't play........it really just a matter of time.

Liffiton wasn't called up at all last season. He hardly played in Hartford... just 21 games thanks to a concussion suffered in late November. Potter was called up to practice with the team for a day -- he never even got a chance to play.

I see absolutely no reason why either Potter or Baranka couldn't have gotten a look in a few of the 52 games Strudwick was in the lineup for last season. No one's saying they had to sit in the press box all season waiting for their chance, Hartford's only 2 hours away, they could have easily been brought in for a few more practices and/or inserted in the line up for a mid-week game or two, then sent back to Hartford by the weekend if it turned out they couldn't perform at or above Strudwick's level.

BDubinskyNYR17* 08-04-2008 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola (Post 15072512)
Baranka have had some potential -- and still does I guess.

But he is not that great, or never will be -- like he is far from a future Niklas Kronwall; and its very very tough to take the steps he needed to take with the amount of injurys he had.

Gooing to Russia is probably the best thing for him and us. The AHL is a slaughter house for D's the way the game is played down there now. Teams don't got the talent level to play even remotely a puckpossesion game. So its up and down all the time and D's are beeing hit allot and hard when you can't clutch and grab anymroe to slow down forecheckers. In a handful of years we will start seeing the AHL game beeing more like the NHL games, but as it is right now teams have invested in bigger and physical players for so long that many of the skilled guys have been lost on the way. The NHL have also sweept the AHL for "modern" type of players.

i think going to europe is the best thing for baranka, maybe it will help him stay healthy while he improves on his offensive skills. he did score a goal in preseason i believe so there is something there. he has some grit but to me i think he needs to get bigger.

Fletch 08-04-2008 04:30 PM

Squishy - I personally didn't think it would've hurt to see Baranka in a couple more games. He did fine during his only game. A little shaky at times, but hey, he's not Marc Staal; not a lot are. Definitely could've seen 5+ games from him.

On Potter, I tend to agree. I happen to like him a lot and am very impressed with his rapid development. I had thought Byers was a nice story with the way he kept improving (thought he hit a stumbling block early in the season but finished nicely), but Potter has been increasing his value each day. I do have skepticims because of his frame (as opposed to Baranka, who seemed a lot like Karpovtsev, or Tim Taylor, with the way he kept getting injured).

nyrcallahan24 08-04-2008 04:47 PM

:handclap: