HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Is Scott Gomez an Asset? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=541134)

MSG the place to be* 08-02-2008 04:40 PM

Is Scott Gomez an Asset?

There has been debate about this but I think I came up with the best way I can explain my thoughts.

Again I'll preface by saying that Gomez brings a lot to our team and is probably our second most important player after Hank (but not the second most valuable asset)

To me an asset is a player that other teams would covet. At 7.5 MM for the next 6 years I really think only a handful of teams would even consider adding this guy to their team. I'm not referring to the fact that many teams are close to or over the cap...

let me put it this way, if every player became a free agent and the league had a draft where you would pick players and had to take on their contracts with the cap still in effect I would think Gomez wouldn't be taken until really late. You would still see guys with big contracts like Crosby, Ovechkin, Vinny, Malkin picked at the top of the "first round" because they are franchise players. You would see a lot of the elite players with big contracts get picked in fact. But then you would see the young/underpaid players get picked becasue they are VALUABLE ASSETS. I really believe that it would not be until really late in this "draft" that a team with room under its cap would say "ok we have a hole at center and cap flexibility, why not bring in Gomez to fill the roll"

Please take my argument seriously even if you disagree whole-heartedly cause this is how I honestly feel. If you think Gomez would be a "first rounder" in my make believe draft that is your opinion and I hope that would actually be the case since I want the Rangers to be building the team correctly.

RMcDonagh 08-02-2008 04:47 PM

At what point do players stop becoming valuable assets?

At one point every player is a valuable asset, excluding the Strudwicks, Hollwegs, and Orr's of the world.... because of their entry level contract cap hit or a tad above.

Every player will get a raise eventually and if they aren't franchise players they no longer become assets?

Basically what your saying is (and your correct - this is the way pro sports work), is that only generation talent players and young players are considered valuable assets.

Gomez would be an asset to a handful of teams, cap high or not. He's a first line center on most teams that don't have Lecavalier, Crosby, etc.

Trxjw 08-02-2008 04:47 PM

Couldn't this just go in the other ridiculous thread you started about Gomez?

Thirty One 08-02-2008 05:08 PM

what are you going to call the next thread?

look at what Dan Boyle got in a trade, and then tell me that Gomez isn't a tradable asset.

MSG the place to be* 08-02-2008 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trxjw (Post 15060495)
Couldn't this just go in the other ridiculous thread you started about Gomez?

You would know board etiquette wouldnt you Mr. 2000+ posts in 1 year. Thats either really impressive or really sad.

All I asked for was feedback...like the dan boyle comment above is actually something to consider so thank you whoever made that point.

Unk 08-02-2008 05:37 PM

Unless the Rangers are godawful are signing players, Gomez probably got similar-esque offers from other teams. He didn't get $7.3 mil per year because Sather felt like offering him $2 mil more than the other teams trying to get him, but more like because he offered say, $0.3 mil more than the other teams wanting his services. The cap ceiling has gone up about $5+ mil per season, so Gomez's contract looks a bit better, so I'm certain there are some teams that don't mind his contract. So yes, Gomez is an asset with value.

Burlington Bomb 26 08-02-2008 05:53 PM

Oren Koules doesnt own are team, we arent trying to make a fantasy team, we are trying to make a REAL team. Gomez will not be traded in his first 4-5 years of his 7 year contract in which last year he was most likely are best player, save Henke.

Turambar 08-02-2008 06:25 PM

Wow, you made another thread about Gomez, what a surprise. :shakehead

Who really cares if Gomez is an "asset"? He's not going anywhere, so it makes no difference. But for the sake of argument, yes, he is a valuable asset. Every team that doesn't have a Crosby or a Thornton or a Lecavalier wants someone like Gomez.

Look at Columbus, for instance. I'd be willing to bet that Howson would give up his left nut to acquire Scotty Gomez. Why, you ask? Because they have no 1st-line center to play with Nash. They have a Mike Peca instead. Or a Manny Malhotra. Oh, I forgot, now R.J. Umberger is their #1 center.

How about Atlanta? Who do they have to play with Kovalchuk? No one.

Florida? Who centers Horton? Rostislav Olesz?

Who on Minnesota is going to center Gaborik? Mikko Koivu?

Even a team like Montreal would love to have a guy like Gomez, he's better than any center they have currently.

How about the Islanders? Who is their #1 center? Comrie? Weight? Pitiful.

Toronto? Antropov?

Getting my point here?

gaglinefan 08-02-2008 06:33 PM

Absolutely. He is a first line center with speed and skill. If we needed to clear our end and rush the goal to score a game tying or winning goal in a critical situation he is the ONE guy I get the puck to.

DubiDubiDoo 08-02-2008 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaglinefan (Post 15061074)
Absolutely. He is a first line center with speed and skill. If we needed to clear our end and rush the goal to score a game tying or winning goal in a critical situation he is the ONE guy I get the puck to.

or dont forget or new friend Nik!!!!

darrenturcotte#8 08-02-2008 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaglinefan (Post 15061074)

Actually, he's a second line center making 1st line center money. He's a sub PPG guy... 70 points is nice but any team can pay $7.3 mill and get a lazy 70 point/16 goal scorer thus he's NOT an asset...

Burlington Bomb 26 08-02-2008 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 (Post 15061224)
Actually, he's a second line center making 1st line center money. He's a sub PPG guy... 70 points is nice but any team can pay $7.3 mill and get a lazy 70 point/16 goal scorer thus he's NOT an asset...

read nyrJeff's post

Beacon 08-02-2008 07:05 PM

Q: Is Scott Gomez an asset.
A: Yes.

Wow, that was easy.

EventHorizon 08-02-2008 07:07 PM

I really hate the off season. :)

BobMarleyNYR 08-02-2008 07:27 PM

"Is Gomez an asset?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSG the place to be (Post 15060476)
There has been debate about this but I think I came up with the best way I can explain my thoughts.

Again I'll preface by saying that Gomez brings a lot to our team and is probably our second most important player after Hank (but not the second most valuable asset)

Do you realize you've answered your own question, and that there's little reason to continue reading at that point?

9darter 08-02-2008 08:56 PM

Are board members who start stupid threads an asset to HFBoards?

DubiDubiDoo 08-02-2008 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9darter (Post 15061935)
Are board members who start stupid threads an asset to HFBoards?

funny, but harsh, lol

This guys like Hollweg on these boards...wreckless and undiciplined!!!!

I kid, I kid, we are all entitled to our opinions

eco's bones 08-03-2008 07:01 AM

I like Gomez but I also see him as the most moveable of our players with big contracts not named Lundqvist. The reason being that IMO other teams who might trade for him would see fair value in his contract. So he has a lot of value.

Fletch 08-03-2008 07:11 AM

That's true, eco's...

if he keeps putting together seasons such as last season and the cap continues to go up a bit, his cost would be considered more than fair, making him a movable asset if the Rangers had other cheaper options at center that were nearly as good and if they then would be able to use the additional cash to fill in holes to make the overall team better.

Plato 08-03-2008 11:07 AM

This issue isn't a "debate" because your the only one who thinks otherwise.

BobMarleyNYR 08-03-2008 11:14 AM

You know, it's awesome how this cap is going to go up, up and up with a multi-trillion-dollar deficit (someone please tell me that has nothing to do with the cap). Where will it stop, 80M? 200M?

eco's bones 08-03-2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch (Post 15064039)
if he keeps putting together seasons such as last season and the cap continues to go up a bit, his cost would be considered more than fair, making him a movable asset if the Rangers had other cheaper options at center that were nearly as good and if they then would be able to use the additional cash to fill in holes to make the overall team better.

Truthfully Fletch he's good enough where he can handle the job description of a legit first line center but he's not good enough IMO to put the team over the top. In that respect--though his time is running out--with the current blah-blah about Sundin I think Mats for a short term makes us a more dangerous team. Depending on what we got back for Gomez I could see dealing him and signing Sundin for a year or two and revisit replacing a top line center when the money became available again after Sundin's contract is over. In the meanwhile the Rangers should (if they dealt him) get a very good return for a team looking for a legit top line center like Gomez. I like Scott but I believe there is potentially an opportunity right now to make the team stronger both in the short term with Sundin and in the long term with salary cap flexibility and whatever a Gomez trade would return.

DubiDubiDoo 08-03-2008 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR (Post 15064575)
You know, it's awesome how this cap is going to go up, up and up with a multi-trillion-dollar deficit (someone please tell me that has nothing to do with the cap). Where will it stop, 80M? 200M?

Glad you mentioned this, I've been thinking about it for a while now with everyone convinced it will go up every year. The cap is tied to league revenue, and I just dont see it going up this year. People are streched to thin, I think merchandise and attendance sales will be down this year, and unless they come up with a great TV deal I dont see how the league makes more money than last, especially when more money is already being spent on the current cap rise.
Just as an example, I was paying 2.89 a gallon for home heating oil last winter, that was 578 bucks for a 200 gallon delivery, at the current local price of 4.75 my bill just shot up to 950 bucks for the same delivery....while I dont expect anyone to care, for me that extra 400 bucks a month through the winter puts my hockey spending in jeopardy, as I'm sure it will for others..

Radek27 08-03-2008 02:56 PM

Interesting topic, but the question should be is Gomez a true first line center? Well aside from being paid like one no he isn't. To me this is a guy you trade, esp if you can get a better player like Sundin to take over. I see no reason why this is a bad idea. Sundin is the better all around player and an upgrade at a position we have been trying to fill since........well since a long time, 1st line center. We haven't had one since Gretzky/Mess in 97.

Add in Sundin subtract Gomez while also getting something in a trade for him. The one area I have confidence in Slats is getting atleast a decent return in trades, so Gomez could fetch something that could help this franchise down the road also. Why else should we trade Gomer? Dubinsky and Anisimov are in the system........they are better than 3rd liners, lets give them a chance and some icetime............having Mats here instead of Gomez gives that a better chance of happening.

As far as him being an asset of course he is, I see a lot of teams who would be more willing and able to take on a Scott Gomez and his salary.........i'm not saying we would get a killing for him, but i'm sure there would be interest out there.