HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   OT Isles New Coach (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=543448)

385 08-13-2008 01:21 AM

OT Isles New Coach

Mods, delete this if this is out of line, just thought some of you might like to know what's going on with your rivals on the island.

It seems Snow has taken this 'youth movement' thing to the coach as well. We got Scott Gordon behind the bench; AHL's Coach of the Year with the Providence Bruins. Something to be proud of sure, but the lack of NHL experience is still nagging at the back of my mind. Looks like you guys will be shooting fishsticks in a barrel this year; but hopefully this youth movement will work how it's supposed to and in a few years we've got an even match up.

lucky13 08-13-2008 01:57 AM

good luck with that......

heres to another great season series

Levitate 08-13-2008 07:43 AM

"Gordon's Fishsticks"

Seems like they went after someone they think can develop their young players. Not necessarily a bad thing, but yeah, lack of NHL coaching experience with a bad team and lots of youth could get scary

I Am Chariot 08-13-2008 08:55 AM

Islanders always show up for the Rangers rivalry regardless of the coach, roster. Never to be taken lightly.

HockeyBasedNYC 08-13-2008 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitate (Post 15148292)
"Gordon's Fishsticks"

Thats so good, its almost unfair.

we want cup 08-13-2008 09:35 AM

i dunno, with this "youth movement," the isles may resemble shrimp more than fishsticks....

WhipNash27 08-13-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitate (Post 15148292)
"Gordon's Fishsticks"

lol perfect. New chant maybe? Instead of We want", we can just put "Gordon's"

CrimsonBruin21 08-13-2008 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PruBlue25 (Post 15148708)
lol perfect. New chant maybe? Instead of We want", we can just put "Gordon's"

HAHA..... YOU ********!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

:help:

HockeyBasedNYC 08-13-2008 12:05 PM

All joking aside...

I think this is actually a good move for the Islanders.

Hartley stinks IMO. Torts would have fought with Wang and Snow, Maurice I like but he doesnt fit well with that team IMO.

I dont know much about Gordon but he seems like a good match for the team. He'll have his work cut out for himself though.

Melrose_Jr. 08-13-2008 12:11 PM

http://blog.danshamptons.com/enterta.../fisherman.gif

ogie 08-13-2008 12:21 PM

trust the gordon's fisherman!

vipernsx 08-13-2008 12:29 PM

The youth movement is obviously the direction they're going and brining in a coach who is used to developing kids, is a good idea. The only problem is that they don't have much youth in their system to develop. There's Okposo, but I question his attitude and commitment. I really think the Isles are hoping for a terrible season and are banking on this years draft to help supply them with solid young talent. There is no coincidence that their top 4 forwards are UFAs at the end of the season and for sure will be shipped out as rentals for youth and picks come the deadline.

HockeyBasedNYC 08-13-2008 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipernsx (Post 15150186)
The youth movement is obviously the direction they're going and brining in a coach who is used to developing kids, is a good idea. The only problem is that they don't have much youth in their system to develop. There's Okposo, but I question his attitude and commitment. I really think the Isles are hoping for a terrible season and are banking on this years draft to help supply them with solid young talent. There is no coincidence that their top 4 forwards are UFAs at the end of the season and for sure will be shipped out as rentals for youth and picks come the deadline.

Yeah, giving up O'Marra, Nilsson and 2007 first round pick (Alex Plante) in that deal for Smyth was really dumb IMHO.

BDubinskyNYR17* 08-13-2008 01:02 PM

well they got weight, and guerin maybe those Tkachuk to NY rumors will happen after all but to Long Island. maybe Tkachuk and Jackman to Islanders for Comeau, Kyle Okposo, Trent Hunter and 1st round pick.

we want cup 08-13-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDubinskyNYR17 (Post 15150587)
well they got weight, and guerin maybe those Tkachuk to NY rumors will happen after all but to Long Island. maybe Tkachuk and Jackman to Islanders for Comeau, Kyle Okposo, Trent Hunter and 1st round pick.

now i get it! were you the one who suggested the smyth trade to snow?! ;)

Darth Milbury 08-13-2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDubinskyNYR17 (Post 15150587)

You guys laugh, but WALTER Tkachuk might have been one of the most underrated players of all time. I'd probably pay part of that package if he was still around.

Heat McManus 08-13-2008 01:10 PM

I understand the logic of bringing in a coach to help with the youth movement. I think the Isles have youth in quantity if not quality. I stated in another thread that while that might have made Gordon the obvious choice I don't know if their current approach is the best business decision. Then again, I don't see the Isles making too many astute business decisions in the first place.

They're stuck in a hole. They have to develop new talent because they can't get any top tier free agents to come play there. I've said it before, the NHL is in better shape when the Isles do well and I'd like to see them do so, but I'm not sure it's going to happen for a good while.

BDubinskyNYR17* 08-13-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by we want cup (Post 15150634)

:laugh: im just saying they got weight guerin and if they get tkachuk they played on the same line years ago in st.louis. who knows snow is a dumb gm. they should have kept neil smith.

Cherepanisimov 08-13-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by we want cup (Post 15150634)

:laugh::laugh::laugh:it all makes sense now

CrimsonBruin21 08-13-2008 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipernsx (Post 15150186)

The Isles actually have a decent crop of young forwards "in their system" (thanks largely to the most recent draft- Bailey, Trivino, Petrov (?), Figren, etc. )- but the problem is that they're all off in Europe or 2-3 years away from playing on Long Island- if not more.

IF your point however is that the Islanders don't have much YOUNG ELITE talent (Okposo aside) ON THE ROSTER right now for Gordon to work with... then I 100% agree with you. Bergenheim and Comeau are nice players who one can reasonably expect to continue on in their development as reliable 2nd and 3rd liners... but they don't qualify as elite prospects by any stretch.

I think the most "miracle working" Gordon can do with young players (again, Okposo aside) for the Isles over the next year or two would be to get Tambellini to translate his game to the NHL and become a legit 2nd liner and maybe get a few middle of the road guys like Campoli, Walter, Nielsen, etc. to entrench themselves as NHL regulars. He's not going to turn Bruno Gervais into Ray Bourque though just b/c he's "good with young players"- hope my Islander fan brethern understand THAT.

I'll sign off with this beautiful piece of art work from the incredibly skilled "Law" on our board: HAHA:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...ottGordon3.jpg

ogie 08-13-2008 09:56 PM

^OH MY GOD! Even the islanders fans are making fun of themselves. hell is frozen, pigs are flying, dogs and cats are living together.

Since we are talking about islanders fans who can forget this guy

Burlington Bomb 26 08-13-2008 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ogie (Post 15156005)
^OH MY GOD! Even the islanders fans are making fun of themselves. hell is frozen, pigs are flying, dogs and cats are living together.

Since we are talking about islanders fans who can forget this guy

copy everything from the = sign on.

danno2530 08-13-2008 11:01 PM

The Gordon's Fishsticks thing was the first thing that popped into my head when I heard about this news. Just too perfect.

I actually think it's a decent move for them. They are going to be a young and inexperienced team for the most part, you might as well have everyone learning together. And with guys like Guerin and Weight there, leadership won't be an issue.

There's probably no way they finish above 5th in the division, but I can guarantee they are going to win a couple of games against the Rangers this year, frustrating the hell out of us.

Carlos Ranger 08-14-2008 12:09 AM

That video sums up the islanders franchise.

385 08-14-2008 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ogie (Post 15156005)

We do it a lot. Only thing that kept us sane through the Milbury years.