HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The all Boooooing thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=54440)

swflyers8* 02-21-2004 06:56 PM

Little tidbit about the booing at games
 
I was over at the orangeandblack.net boards and someone was at the game today.
It was fan appreciation day and all, so all of the players were there, here is the guy's summary of what happened after the game:

I was at the game today..The Booing of Burke was over the top. Everytime he made a save he got the Bronx Cheer. When Atlanta scored the Booing was literaly embarissing to me..I mean the Defense left the guy hung out to dry..I was telling my wife this is embarassing...Well I listen to the game on my walkman..and low and behold the announcers were saying the same thing about the booing..I must say most of the crowd at the games now is clueless..I mean Burke made some tough saves on wide open players in front of the net..This could have been real ugly had Burke not made those saves..It was fan appreciation day..They gave the Jerseys off there backs..GET THIS TODD FEDORUK gets on the mic and says knock the booing off..Its not Burke's fault..This was the first time I ever heard of a player doing this..Brian Propp said it does not bother Burke..but it definately has a negative affect on the rest of the team...I bet the guys can't wait to get out on the rode and play..with the way the fans are acting now...
Ed



It would be nice if we, the fans actually cheered the guy instead of booing him. If you want to boo anyone, boo Therien. He is the goof costing the Flyers games. :teach:

Dr Love 02-21-2004 07:01 PM

With the prices of tickets, the fans can boo all they want. We know that they're a depleted team right now, but that doesn't excuse them from playing like crap out there. Fans can boo who and what they want, and cheer who and want they want, it's part of being a fan, and the coaches and players can shut up and grow some skin.

jplush76 02-21-2004 07:14 PM

Therien Owns U

biggbloo 02-21-2004 07:27 PM

A simple request from a fan,to the other fans
 
I would like to ask those fans who have been busily booing Sean Burke,to stop the booing. He is a veteran goaltender who has been thrust into the meat-grinder division at the end of the season,during the turmoil of multiple injuries. The whole team is making mistakes defensively,yet he is hearing it....and that's not fair. The Philadelphia fans have an awful reputation for booing through ignorance. Remember booing Donovan McNabb when he was drafted? Yeah,yeah,I know,you all wanted Ricky Williams. Has Williams taken his team to the conference finals three times straight? I know this is off my original point,but you big mouthed a-holes have to get on this guys side,or you'll risk the edge of home ice advantage. Do you want that? Give the guy a break. Give the team a break. AND SHUT YOUR ##@#$$%%^ MOUTH'S,for a change.

RoDu 02-21-2004 07:27 PM

have any of the goals Burke let been weak? How is hi splay overall? I have yet to see him play

Winston Wolf 02-21-2004 07:32 PM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!















:D :p

GKJ 02-21-2004 07:35 PM

If you tell the fans to stop booing, theyre going to do it more.


Espically in a town which hasn't won a championship since 1983

biggbloo 02-21-2004 07:41 PM

Does anyone have the + - for the defensemen since Burke's arrival?
 
If you have it,share it. The defense is allowing the opposition rebound after rebound,yet Burke is hearing the crap. Go figure!

flyercide 02-21-2004 08:01 PM

Look if you want to come on here and complain about the booing thats fine. But when you point the finger at all Flyer/Philadelphia fan's well than you have gone to far. For one it was a select group of fans that were at the Eagles draft lead by Angelo Cattaldi. Enough said about that...

Two, how the heck can you defend Burke suggesting it's the team & not him? Look at his friggen numbers since he's been here. .887 save percentage. No goalie survives in the NHL with under .900 save pctg for starters. Although not a great stat look at his GAA. Not to good there 3.41. So to suggest it's the team and not his actual play is just dum. A rookie played ten times better than him before his arrival.

capn89* 02-21-2004 08:09 PM

And I would like to request that our homer announcers and homer fans to stop blindly defending Sean Burke. When is a goalie accountable for sucking? "oh, the defense was bad... oh it was a two on one... oh it was a power play." Just stop the f-ing puck and shut up. I'm so tired of the excuses, and I know goalies aren't going to have shutouts every night, and that's fine... but 4 and 5 goal games are inexcusable in today's NHL. Maybe once in a while, but not four games in a row.

It seems like people try to give net minders a free ride. While I was watching the game today I was thinking to myself, if Burke gets scored on (during the two man advantage) people will use the excuse that they were down 2 men and it wasn't his fault, but if he came up with saves he would be "saving the day." If team defense is so important, what's the use of having a goalie? Seriously, why don't they just go out and trade Burke, Esche and Niittymaki, get some REALLY good defensemen and just play good team D, because it's always the teams fault, never the goalie.

capn89* 02-21-2004 08:25 PM

When Sean Burke does something to stop the booing, the booing will stop. Idiots don't pay ticket prices (as high as they are) to go to an event that they have no idea about. The fact is, it seems like there's been an infestation of homerism lately, "blame everyone except the goalie, because it's just not his fault." You can argue it both ways, to the death. The fact is, in today's game, Burke made maybe two GOOD saves, not great, not game savers, not spectacular, simply "good." It's not like he was standing on his head in any way whatsoever. He doesn't have the ability to do that, and if they go with him for the playoffs, you'll see that, crystal clear, in a 7 game series.

biggbloo 02-21-2004 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyercide
Look if you want to come on here and complain about the booing thats fine. But when you point the finger at all Flyer/Philadelphia fan's well than you have gone to far. For one it was a select group of fans that were at the Eagles draft lead by Angelo Cattaldi. Enough said about that...

Two, how the heck can you defend Burke suggesting it's the team & not him? Look at his friggen numbers since he's been here. .887 save percentage. No goalie survives in the NHL with under .900 save pctg for starters. Although not a great stat look at his GAA. Not to good there 3.41. So to suggest it's the team and not his actual play is just dum. A rookie played ten times better than him before his arrival.

Well put,and I humbly appologize to any fans I may have offended. As for the rookie,(Niittymaki,who everyone loves),do you remember a youngster named Robbie Moore? He looked like lightening in a bottle after a few great starts,then when the other teams scouted out his faults he was as pourous as Swiss cheese. He never regained his confidence and retired early. That is why Hitchcock and Clarke are keeping Nitty under wraps for now. They know they have someone special in him,but they don't want to burn him too early.

biggbloo 02-21-2004 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capn89
And I would like to request that our homer announcers and homer fans to stop blindly defending Sean Burke. When is a goalie accountable for sucking? "oh, the defense was bad... oh it was a two on one... oh it was a power play." Just stop the f-ing puck and shut up. I'm so tired of the excuses, and I know goalies aren't going to have shutouts every night, and that's fine... but 4 and 5 goal games are inexcusable in today's NHL. Maybe once in a while, but not four games in a row.

It seems like people try to give net minders a free ride. While I was watching the game today I was thinking to myself, if Burke gets scored on (during the two man advantage) people will use the excuse that they were down 2 men and it wasn't his fault, but if he came up with saves he would be "saving the day." If team defense is so important, what's the use of having a goalie? Seriously, why don't they just go out and trade Burke, Esche and Niittymaki, get some REALLY good defensemen and just play good team D, because it's always the teams fault, never the goalie.

He was "thinking to himself",thank God! I don't know who else would accept such thoughts,certainly no one who ever played the position.

biggbloo 02-21-2004 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyers guy
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!















:D :p

I rest my case!

jplush76 02-21-2004 08:40 PM

but I thought burke was the missing piece on the road to the stanley cup? lol

paxtang 02-21-2004 09:21 PM

Burke is going to get booed until he proves himself. If he can put up with it and come out on top, people will love him. If he can't then he doesn't deserve to be here.

FlyersHomer DM03 02-21-2004 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxtang
Burke is going to get booed until he proves himself. If he can put up with it and come out on top, people will love him. If he can't then he doesn't deserve to be here.

Right.

When there is a trade made that I don't like, often times I put our acquisition under scrutiny (Ragnarsson, who I've come to appreciate, man i'm never going to let that deal die am i). Burke made some great saves, kept us in the boston game, and there were other times when he just allows the puck in the net. Our defense has played bad for stretches such as this before and it didn't amount to 18 goals in four games.

To quote a classic simpsons line "I wasn't chanting 'boooo', it was 'boooo-urke' (with mr. burns) haha

FlyersHomer DM03 02-21-2004 09:33 PM

I'm giving this guy every chance in the world but it's going nowhere. After the SJ and Tampa fiascos "hmm, 10 goals in two games, this has to get better"...now, "oh dude 18 goals in four games"---how much is too much, especially when we have sat a goaltender who started to find his niche.

Rex88 02-21-2004 09:34 PM

I never like to boo, except at baseball because it is so slow, but Burke has bean a backboard with rebound after rebound on easy shots. Would I boo? No. But, he has stunk as has the D - fact.

swflyers8* 02-21-2004 09:40 PM

Quote:

The fact is, in today's game, Burke made maybe two GOOD saves, not great, not game savers, not spectacular, simply "good." It's not like he was standing on his head in any way whatsoever. He doesn't have the ability to do that, and if they go with him for the playoffs, you'll see that, crystal clear, in a 7 game series.
Well, gee, thanks Coach Hitchcock, that's real insightful. If you are so smart and knowledgeable about the game of hockey why aren't you behind the bench or doing something on the pro level, I mean with all your knowledge, you should be hanging with Bettman and all the other great minds.

Just another fan who thinks they know more than everyone else, including the coaches.

MiamiScreamingEagles 02-21-2004 09:42 PM

I listened on NHL.com and Propp and his partner made countless references to their dismay with the fans booing. At the Bruins-Canes game tonight, some lass was wearing a 32 Flyers ornage shirt. I am assuming A Cechmanek shirt. Kinda stood out in the crowd. :rolly:

thedjpd 02-21-2004 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
With the prices of tickets, the fans can boo all they want. We know that they're a depleted team right now, but that doesn't excuse them from playing like crap out there. Fans can boo who and what they want, and cheer who and want they want, it's part of being a fan, and the coaches and players can shut up and grow some skin.

Sorry, but I disagree here. The logic is flawed.

Fans complain that they have to pay high ticket prices to go see the games, and when they get there, the product isn't great. So they're allowed to boo.

Well, here's and idea folks: If you think the tickets are too high for a poor product, DON'T BUY THEM.

Wow! What a concept!

If the on-ice product isn't something you're happy to see, then don't go to the damn games. You're the ones VOLUNTARILY paying these obscene prices (which obviously aren't that bad as it is, since we sell out almost every game).

Me, the team I support really besides the Flyers are the Blackhawks. But I'm on a mutiny. In fact, I'm going to a game for the first time in 5 years tomorrow, and that's only because my friend wants to see an NHL game live before the lockout occurs for fear there may not be a season next year. And you can damn well bet I'm not going to be paying for the $100 seats for a crap game.

The fans know ahead of time what the games are like. Hell, they're all on TV pretty much. Get an idea yourself (although I know it's different live) if you think it's worth it, then buy it. I'm not saying you can't boo or anything, but you put yourself in that position to be disappointed with a product that has a high cost of which you have no obligation to purchase in the first place.

Dr Love 02-21-2004 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedjpd
Sorry, but I disagree here. The logic is flawed.

Fans complain that they have to pay high ticket prices to go see the games, and when they get there, the product isn't great. So they're allowed to boo.

Well, here's and idea folks: If you think the tickets are too high for a poor product, DON'T BUY THEM.

Wow! What a concept!

It's a weak argument, I know. But people buy the ticket because they expect to see a good product. Regardless, it's not a major point, as I said later in my post, fans can boo because they're fans, and booing is part of being a fan.

Quote:

If the on-ice product isn't something you're happy to see, then don't go to the damn games. You're the ones VOLUNTARILY paying these obscene prices (which obviously aren't that bad as it is, since we sell out almost every game).
I don't. I watch them on TV, or go to games with friends who have season tickets. But that doesn't mean I can't express my opinon when at a game (not implying that you are saying that I can't)

Quote:

Me, the team I support really besides the Flyers are the Blackhawks. But I'm on a mutiny. In fact, I'm going to a game for the first time in 5 years tomorrow, and that's only because my friend wants to see an NHL game live before the lockout occurs for fear there may not be a season next year. And you can damn well bet I'm not going to be paying for the $100 seats for a crap game.

The fans know ahead of time what the games are like. Hell, they're all on TV pretty much. Get an idea yourself (although I know it's different live) if you think it's worth it, then buy it. I'm not saying you can't boo or anything, but you put yourself in that position to be disappointed with a product that has a high cost of which you have no obligation to purchase in the first place.
Again, it's a minor point in the grand scheme of things, ticket prices. They're ridiculous in every sport. I think we can all agree that the effort hasn't been there in the past few games, and that the fans have the right to express their displeasure of it, and that Sean Burke hasn't been all he's cracked up to be so far, and that the fans have the right to express their displeasure of it. I can live with the team losing games to teams like Tampa, San Jose, and Boston while two of the most important players are out of the lineup. I understand that the scoring isn't going to be there as much and that the opposition's best line won't be shut down like it was when Primeau was healthy. But I can't live with the lack of effort defensively that leads to ugly, ugly losses, and an ugly win.

sinisalo 02-21-2004 10:46 PM

Well, thats too bad Burke can't handle the booing. Maybe he should retire also.

Niittyamki faced 36 shots and beat NJ. That stuff doesn't happen for the Flyers that often. He captured a lot of fan's hearts. He gave the fans hope and the fans want to see how far he can go.

Look at all the games the past few years when the Flyers outshot their opponents by ridiculous margins like 40-20 and still lost games. They had games stolen from them by some pretty average goalies. Burke has one of the worst SV PCT in the NHL, and has a very poor career win PCT. He will not steal any games for the Flyers when they need him to.

The fans are sick and tired of the "over the hill", geriatric gang wearing Flyers uniforms. The fans want new blood on the ice. It wasn't too long ago when a rookie G named Boucher carried the team in the playoffs. Another rookie G named Hextall carried the team into the Cup finals.

I am convinced that Clarke and Hitchcock will always trade young players for old ones and this team will never realize it's full potential. You need a mix of youth and age, with the hope the older players will teach the younger players. This team is loaded with old, skimpy on youth.

sinisalo 02-21-2004 10:52 PM

I'm sick and tired of people making excuses for Burke. Clarke has had some kind of infatuation with this guy for the past few seasons. Well, now he can revel in the mess he has created by getting this guy.

With all the players Clarke has traded away, he could have aquired someone young like Biron or Giguerre.

Don't worry, if Burke plays well the fans will cheer. Right now he has been pretty bad for 4 games in a row and sports one of the worst SV PCT in the NHL.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.